Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,662 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:05 PM

My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA (18393 Views)

FAAN Bans Luggage Screening At MMIA Departure Hall / Emirates Airline Celebrates The April Fool's Day With This Insane Jet / Emirates Airline Suspends Its 2nd Daily Flight From Nigeria To Dubai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by skytanics(m): 1:39am On Mar 18, 2016
This was what my friend passed through in the hands of Quarantine officers at the Muritala Mohammed International Airport and almost missed his flight. I know many others have experienced this extortion from these people giving Nigeria bad name, so we need to stop them.

Read what happened..

Please, I had a terrible experience on Saturday afternoon 12-03-2016 at Muritala Mohammed International Airport.
I had an Emirates flight EK784 to Dubai scheduled to leave by 1420hrs. While on the queue, I saw the customs official - a man and the quarantine officer- a woman taking bribe from almost all the passengers before my turn. Bags were not even checked properly. When I approached the government officials desk with my bags, the customs officer on duty (ANDONG DAN) and quarantine officer - a woman (OLUBUMMO E.A.) told me to pay 4,000 Naira bribe to N.L. SULEIMAN also a government official on the desk. I had two pieces of Eutymol tooth paste, 4 packets of tetmosol soap, some clothes, books, garri and beans in my bags. I did not carry anything unlawful as far as I know.

I told them I will not pay any kobo, rather, I will do whatever the law says. Immediately, ANDONG DAN and OLUBUMMO E.A. shouted at me and asked me to go and look for a quarantine office and collect certificates for two pieces of Eutymol tooth paste, 4 packets of tetmosol soap, some clothes, books, garri and beans . I asked them, to tell me the provision of the law and that, I was ready to drop whatever is not permitted in my bag.
They refused to attend to me, the quarantine woman said my eyes would see it, before I get back from the quarantine office, I would have missed my international flight.
But, I kept demanding for justice. After a while, they described quarantine office in the airport to me. I had to rush to the quarantine office and if not for God, I would have missed my flight because I refused to pay bribe.

Please let us put this kind of officers where they belong by letting the authorities know what is happening.

109 Likes 19 Shares

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by david22uu(m): 1:49am On Mar 18, 2016
@ lalasticlala

Sorry mate... Change will soon reach dere

Edit: So my staying up @ midnight was no waste.....

FTC no easy at all

DEDICATED TO MY RUBY

2 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Destined2win: 2:59am On Mar 18, 2016
There is corruption in the nation

11 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Nobody: 3:00am On Mar 18, 2016
one of those things dat vexes me about Nigeria kenan ........dis bribe shit needs to be tackled with pragmatic measures

6 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by seunlayi(m): 3:33am On Mar 18, 2016
Is that a airport or a local glorified bus Park?

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Nobody: 5:01am On Mar 18, 2016
Don't Nigeria Customs have a "contact us" in their website where this complaint can be made. This is terrible.

I feel ashamed of the country whenever I see those silly guys beg for money during arrivals.

One was even following me about sometime singing "bring sth naa" as if it was a latest release from RKelly.angry

55 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Rhozabeth(m): 5:25am On Mar 18, 2016
Which authority? Are they not the same? Many have written about these issue of bribery in our airports and missions abroad, what have they done about it? Nothing! That makes the authority itself complicit!!!

18 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Icecomrade: 10:05am On Mar 18, 2016

Your own is even small.
The one that shocked me most was what I saw during my trip to Abu Abia state.

Soldiers even collect bribes from motorists. Police collect too.

Police take N20 while soldiers take N50. All vehicles and Keke pay this routine dues the number of times you ply the route.

I kept wondering. Huh even soldiers again!

That's how rotten this country is. All the security agencies, EFCC, police, customs, VIO, FRSC. They are all the same

6 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by vizkiz: 10:05am On Mar 18, 2016
Buhari sef angry

5 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by october2016(m): 10:06am On Mar 18, 2016
skytanics:
This was what my friend passed through in the hands of Quarantine officers at the Muritala Mohammed International Airport and almost missed his flight. I know many others have experienced this extortion from these people giving Nigeria bad name, so we need to stop them.

Read what happened..

Please, I had a terrible experience on Saturday afternoon 12-03-2016 at Muritala Mohammed International Airport.
I had an Emirates flight EK784 to Dubai scheduled to leave by 1420hrs. While on the queue, I saw the customs official - a man and the quarantine officer- a woman taking bribe from almost all the passengers before my turn. Bags were not even checked properly. When I approached the government officials desk with my bags, the customs officer on duty (ANDONG DAN) and quarantine officer - a woman (OLUBUMMO E.A.) told me to pay 4,000 Naira bribe to N.L. SULEIMAN also a government official on the desk. I had two pieces of Eutymol tooth paste, 4 packets of tetmosol soap, some clothes, books, garri and beans in my bags. I did not carry anything unlawful as far as I know.

I told them I will not pay any kobo, rather, I will do whatever the law says. Immediately, ANDONG DAN and OLUBUMMO E.A. shouted at me and asked me to go and look for a quarantine office and collect certificates for two pieces of Eutymol tooth paste, 4 packets of tetmosol soap, some clothes, books, garri and beans . I asked them, to tell me the provision of the law and that, I was ready to drop whatever is not permitted in my bag.
They refused to attend to me, the quarantine woman said my eyes would see it, before I get back from the quarantine office, I would have missed my international flight.
But, I kept demanding for justice. After a while, they described quarantine office in the airport to me. I had to rush to the quarantine office and if not for God, I would have missed my flight because I refused to pay bribe.

Please let us put this kind of officers where they belong by letting the authorities know what is happening.

it's just a matter of time and the animal within us will takeover ..... Permanently!!

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by kimond101: 10:06am On Mar 18, 2016
Capital punishment should be given to anyone involved in corruption. That would sporadically reduce the level when some people are made scape goats.

But is this country ready for capital punishment?! I don't think so, because the rights we have over the government they have refused to provide such as constant electricity, good roads, good health care amost others. Even though that doesn't justify being corrupt.

Before we can change the condition of this country we have to change the condition within our own selves. How do we so that?! We follow procedure and stand against corruption same way the OP did.

OP the corruption on those desk at MMIA is disgusting. And it's been like that for a long time. More like corporate beggers in uniform. They know what is right but they feel it's their post of assignment and if they are not sharp about it they can't make it in life with the salary they are being paid by the FG.

Kudos OP!

5 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by MrHackmed1(m): 10:07am On Mar 18, 2016
Those guys are id.iorts`

2 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by minasota(f): 10:07am On Mar 18, 2016
BUHAR! sef
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Critiqual(m): 10:07am On Mar 18, 2016
If I pray those officers shld die now, a nairalander will post "Gone Too Soon" of his/her father/mother without saying he/she has been collecting bribe at d airport.

U knw what ur fathers/mothers/uncles/aunties are doing. Cuntinu!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by stevebond007(m): 10:07am On Mar 18, 2016
Na wa o
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by suyamasta(m): 10:07am On Mar 18, 2016
So no be only police dey do dis nonsense! lsts expose dem
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Iyke1998(m): 10:08am On Mar 18, 2016
Garri and Beans to Dubai??

My brother,you are true ambassador of #BuyNaijaToGrowNaira.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by BarryX(m): 10:08am On Mar 18, 2016
Who caused this?

Poverty caused this and what caused poverty?

Buhari

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Sijo01(f): 10:09am On Mar 18, 2016
We have a long way to go in this country.
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:11am On Mar 18, 2016
skytanics:

Read what happened..

They have become popular grin

7 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Nobody: 10:11am On Mar 18, 2016
imagine the common tout disgracing us.

if they are sacked,i wont pity them. if they are tired of the job,let someone competent do it.

iranu abasha

3 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Fogman(m): 10:12am On Mar 18, 2016
Same has happened to my bro and i. Corruption everywhere

2 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by iliyande(m): 10:12am On Mar 18, 2016
oya over to custom boss

come and explain

and they are one of the highest paid in the country
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by phemolala07(m): 10:12am On Mar 18, 2016
Dey just cnt do witout collecting money at dat airport.
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Omooba77: 10:12am On Mar 18, 2016
Same set of people will be crying government is corrupt and they are the real corruption. I rest my case with Custom, police, immigration; only God can help,even the local one at the airport are not left out. One thing sah our own never bad reach India embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

4 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:12am On Mar 18, 2016
MrPresident1:
What is the essence of this thread? To make the officers lose their jobs is why you pt their names, right? Who will do the firing, the ogas they are reporting and 'returning' to?

OP, are you a saint, you have never taken or given bribes? What are you going to do in Dubai, it is legitimate business?

Thunder fire you there, thief!

angry

but why? NL rule 2

6 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Omooba77: 10:13am On Mar 18, 2016
Sijo01:
We have a long way to go in this country.
The way no be only long, na thick forest!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Identify Fake Visa And Job Agents (uae/dubai) / 75 Stranded World Cup Fans Escape In Russia / The Nigerian Passports Will Henceforth Be Produced Locally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.