Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,793 members, 7,802,523 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:51 PM

'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors (17061 Views)

Dr Linda Ayade Performs Surgeries With Her Medical Team In Cross River (Photos) / Pictures of a Death Trap At University Of Ilorin Teaching Hospital / Snake Invades Ilorin Teaching Hospital, May Allah Save The Patients. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by TheophilusA: 3:17am On Mar 18, 2016
Following the ongoing nationwide strike of doctors, the immediate past president of the Association of Resident Doctors, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital(UITH) branch, Dr. Oyinlola Oluwagbemiga and his successor, Dr. Ade Faponle, on Wednesday said that due to epileptic power supply in the hospital, doctors use lamps, torchlight and phone lights to treat patients. Oluwagbemiga and Faponle spoke during a media briefing in Ilorin, the Kwara State capital. According to Oluwagbemiga, “There are certain procedures we embark upon, you have to complete them using your torchlight or phone lights. Imagine that you are in an emergency where you have to resuscitate a patient and you resort to that. It is that bad. It even stretches to sanitation.We have reached the point where you are having a major procedure and all you can hear is ‘please we can only supply light for the next two hours, make sure you complete your operation.’ And there are operations that last for four or more hours. So if you have such, you have to reschedule because you have been told ab-initio that you are on your own should you embark on such.”

The Director of Administration, UITH, Mr. Ganiyu Yusuf however said the management of the hospital spent about N16m monthly on diesel and N3m monthly on electricity bill to the Ibadan Distribution Electricity Company. Yusuf said, “As management, we are not going to join issues with the resident doctors. But we are going to state the facts. It is not news that electricity generation in the country is bad. The problem affects everybody, not only the hospital. We spend N16m monthly to buy diesel. We have a 500KV generator and another 350kv generator, as well as many other smaller generators to power each unit and department. The N16m that we pay is different from the N3m that we pay to IBEDC every month. Imagine what N19m could have done, if we had steady power supply in the country. We have done what we could do as a management with the resources available. We have separate generators for many sections. If you turn on the light in the hospital because of the operations the doctors will do, we keep it running until 4pm. Even when the power is on, how many of the doctors are ready to perform surgeries? If we know that in our area power will come at a certain time, you programme your activities. We lost three people in an attempt to stabilise the power supply. One of them was electrocuted and another dropped in water. What we are trying to do is to link up with the university and take power from Ganmo. Imagine the huge cost.”

http://dawntodusknews.com/we-perform-surgeries-with-torchlights-lamps-phonelights-in-university-teaching-hospital-doctors/

1 Like 5 Shares

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by xreal: 3:23am On Mar 18, 2016
we use torchlight and phone light to treat patients

lol
when did torch lights and phone lights become drugs or therapy?

rather say you consult with torch lights , shikenah!

Back to the matter.
Thunder go fire anybody wey chop money meant for the betterment of patients.
Which 19million are u spending every month?

FG budgets 16M for fueling for a 24hr stable electricity monthly. Meanwhile you don't power your generators for 24 hrs.
IBEDC still supply electricity once a while, and the generators don't run at these times.

The main generator and most others are down at the moment due to lack of servicing. True or False?
You mean you spend the whole 16m every month? Haba.

It will cost just 40M to link up with Ganmo's 33Kv substation.
Why not do that?

EFCC and GOD is watching.

kontinu

17 Likes

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by Destined2win: 3:30am On Mar 18, 2016
Can you just imagine? Who do I unleash this anger in me right now?

See guys, we need to wake up in this country. Nigerians are just too dull for my liking. Can't there be something like a revolution or uprising against greedy politicians in this country?

All the same, be of good cheer, I am coming to take Nigeria to the promised land. We really need to hold these politicians culpable.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by seunlayi(m): 3:35am On Mar 18, 2016
while the president is still touring the world and going for medical check up oversea.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by Roidatom(m): 4:03am On Mar 18, 2016
And it's the poor masses that suffer.

The rich man exports himself and family for treatment, meanwhile the money he spends abroad for ordinary check up abroad can improve the conditions of our hospitals here.

Anyway, if patients have been able to survive with torchlight services, it shows that there is a God in charge, and He is working, and will reward and reprimand everyone accordingly.

God help Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by Tallesty1(m): 4:34am On Mar 18, 2016
The First To Comment on this post smoked garri for dinner last night.

8 Likes

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by PRYCE(m): 5:12am On Mar 18, 2016
Wetin you no go hear for Naija!
Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by ragiluhivo(m): 5:19am On Mar 18, 2016
Hahahahahah what a fùcking joke of a country.

Nigeria is Zoo and don't belong to the 21st century

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by Omike85(m): 5:30am On Mar 18, 2016
can you imagine?

1 Like

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by Nobody: 5:31am On Mar 18, 2016
The truth of the matter is that

1.Power supply is not working. And it won't work until we get the money to make it work, which in Nigeria would now have to come from our pockets (because decades of it being run by government led to corruption and more corruption).

2.Health care in Nigeria is not well funded. And the only way to improve it is by raising hospital fees, and by raising taxes.Even if oil jumps up again. The idea that you can fund something from selling raw materials whose prices you do not control is at best ridiculous.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by Nobody: 5:33am On Mar 18, 2016
ragiluhivo:
Hahahahahah what a fùcking joke of country.

Nigeria is Zoo and don't belong to the 21st century

Splitting up Nigeria or calling it a zoo does not sort out corruption or exploitation.

It just leads to a situation where PHCN....(Problem has changed name).

4 Likes

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by amtaken(f): 5:48am On Mar 18, 2016
Where is the change that they promised?

APC = All Promises Cancelled.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by Nobody: 5:56am On Mar 18, 2016
amtaken:
Where is the change that they promised?

APC = All Promises Cancelled.

Well, PDP left us with 5000mw, and with a transmission system in need of fixing. (Which is why GEJ privatized the power sector...better to leave it in the hands of people who won't tolerate any bad thing in keeping the lights on..and who are ready to invest).

At the same time Nigeria needs 12000mw to get 24 hours light supply.We have 5000MW. That is not enough to guarantee everyone 24 hours light supply. At best 10 hours....or less.

Meanwhile...there is the matter of the obsolete transmission system which needs fixing badly, and which is at least 30 years out of date.

And then there is generation issues. It takes at least two years maximum to build a new power station. Even if Buhari commenced construction on July 1 2015 on three new power stations...and a hydroelectric dam (and it takes a long time to design such things to specification),.....they would still be under construction by now.

So blaming APC does not work in this case.

5 Likes

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by amtaken(f): 6:00am On Mar 18, 2016
So you have never read/heard that it has dropped to 1,500 MW?

Quakertellicus1:

Well, PDP left us with 5000mw, and with a transmission system in need of fixing. (Which is why GEJ privatized the power sector...better to leave it in the hands of people who won't tolerate any bad thing in keeping the lights on..and who are ready to invest).

At the same time Nigeria needs 12000mw to get 24 hours light supply.We have 5000MW. That is not enough to guarantee everyone 24 hours light supply. At best 10 hours....or less.

Meanwhile...there is the matter of the obsolete transmission system which needs fixing badly, and which is at least 30 years out of date.

And then there is generation issues. It takes at least two years maximum to build a new power station. Even if Buhari commenced construction on July 1 2015 on three new power stations...and a hydroelectric dam (and it takes a long time to design such things to specification),.....they would still be under construction by now.

So blaming APC does not work in this case.

3 Likes

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by Nobody: 6:06am On Mar 18, 2016
amtaken:
So you have never read/heard that it has dropped to 1,500 MW?

Well, it did drop that low because of damage to gas pipelines and problems with our gas plants at Egbin (which is a old power plant).And the fact that we still rely on HEP....which works when the reservoirs are full...not when they are dry.

My point is, even at full maximum of 5000 MW.....we cannot get 24 hours light until we get up to 12000-20000 MW....which means more generation facilities, and fixing the transmission system....which are going to take years and money to fix.

(Current PEAK generation as at 13/3/2016 is now 3,981 MW)

3 Likes

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by ragiluhivo(m): 6:19am On Mar 18, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Splitting up Nigeria or calling it a zoo does not sort out corruption or exploitation.

It just leads to a situation where PHCN....(Problem has changed name).

No you are wrong. The earlier we split this God forsaken country, the better for everyone.

Only a mad man would keep doing the same thing and still expect a different result. 100 years is enough time to tell the fate of a country.

I spit on the Green White Green Flag

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by amtaken(f): 7:26am On Mar 18, 2016
Years and money?

We're you aware that it was going to take years and much money to fix during the immediate past administration?

Quakertellicus1:

Well, it did drop that low because of damage to gas pipelines and problems with our gas plants at Egbin (which is a old power plant).And the fact that we still rely on HEP....which works when the reservoirs are full...not when they are dry.

My point is, even at full maximum of 5000 MW.....we cannot get 24 hours light until we get up to 12000-20000 MW....which means more generation facilities, and fixing the transmission system....which are going to take years and money to fix.

(Current PEAK generation as at 13/3/2016 is now 3,981 MW)
Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by Nobody: 7:32am On Mar 18, 2016
amtaken:
Years and money?

We're you aware that it was going to take years and much money to fix during the immediate past administration?

Of course I was....and infact, let me tell you that I have had power things on my mind for over ten years.

(If you remember , I said earlier that it takes at least two years to get a power station up and running, after designing it...which also takes time. Got that from a newspaper interview I read during the time OBJ was in power).

My annoyance with the GEJ admin was when they began promising us 24 hours supply , when they knew we needed to get generation up,, back in 2014. Then Nebo had to go through a press conference where he essentially denied saying that. (Sigh).

Having said that, I did not oppose privatization, and by August 2014...when I read an article in the Guardian about how bad our tansmission system was....I knew we were in for a looong ride.
Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by amtaken(f): 7:40am On Mar 18, 2016
So he promised you 24 hour supply but couldn't fulfil it after being rigged out with the help of Jega and you are angry?

How come you are not angry about Buhari's 1,001 failed promises?

Do you want me to list them?

It's better if you don't reply me. I know why I said that.

Quakertellicus1:

Of course I was....and infact, let me tell you that I have had power things on my mind for over ten years.

(If you remember , I said earlier that it takes at least two years to get a power station up and running, after designing it...which also takes time. Got that from a newspaper interview I read during the time OBJ was in power).

My annoyance with the GEJ admin was when they began promising us 24 hours supply , when they knew we needed to get generation up,, back in 2014. Then Nebo had to go through a press conference where he essentially denied saying that. (Sigh).

Having said that, I did not oppose privatization, and by August 2014...when I read an article in the Guardian about how bad our tansmission system was....I knew we were in for a looong ride.

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by Adesiji77: 7:53am On Mar 18, 2016
It didn't start today...isn't it a pity that years after, it is still the same story? angry undecided

http://www.punchng.com/we-operate-patients-with-lamps-torchlight-uith-doctors/

Cc: lalasticlala, dominique, Mynd44

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by henrydadon(m): 9:10am On Mar 18, 2016
anything goes in nigeria..well am not surprise when even our leader dont use the country health care facilities ..that why we keep hearing news of how scissor was forgotten in someone stomach grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by omojeesu(m): 9:13am On Mar 18, 2016
Shame on the management of the hospital, Federal Ministry of Health and the Minister of Health, if this is true!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by Mutuwa(m): 9:13am On Mar 18, 2016
embarassed
Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by omogin(f): 9:13am On Mar 18, 2016
Its the same situation in many teaching hospitals around Nigeria. No power, no funds for the cmds to buy diesel. Wetin buhari dey take TSA money do with these Arabs only God knows

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by Originality007: 9:14am On Mar 18, 2016
angry
Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by Nobody: 9:14am On Mar 18, 2016
xreal:

lol
when did torch lights and phone lights become drugs or therapy?

rather say you consult with torch lights , shikenah!

Back to the matter.
Thunder go fire anybody wey chop money meant for the betterment of patients.
Which 19million are u spending every month?

FG budgets 16M for fueling for a 24hr stable electricity monthly. Meanwhile you don't power your generators for 24 hrs.
IBEDC still supply electricity once a while, and the generators don't run at these times.

The main generator and most others are down at the moment due to lack of servicing. True or False?
You mean you spend the whole 16m every month? Haba.

It will cost just 40M to link up with Ganmo's 33Kv substation.
Why not do that?

EFCC and GOD is watching.

kontinu
Stop the blaming games and tell BUHARI TO fulfil his promises. We voted him in because he promised he will correct and make the economy work

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by rozayx5(m): 9:14am On Mar 18, 2016
and buhari allocates billions to the state house clinic

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by Simplestone(f): 9:15am On Mar 18, 2016
v
Re: 'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors by PidginPriest(m): 9:15am On Mar 18, 2016
See my country oh. cry cry

Dem talk se person wey de run for him life no de scratch him yansh.
We get big big problems, but na so so small small issue dem our government de wan chook head inside.

I believe sey 24/7 9ja national light na big issue wey govt suppose chook head for first. As we de so we Dey produce plenty, imagine wetin we go do if we come get light brekete.

Mek God bless dem doctors who no discourage sake of se light no Dey, but comot torch de save people like.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

250 People Die Of Snake Bite In Plateau And Gombe Due To Scarcity Of Anti-Venom / Firm Drags NAFDAC To Court Over 7-up’s Contaminated Aquafina Table Water / Medical Patient Monitor Machine For Sale In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.