Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,660 members, 7,801,913 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:30 AM

Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse (21549 Views)

Mother And Daughter Killed In Lagos Building Collapse / Collapsed Building: Lekki Gardens MD Nyong Richard, 9 Others Docked / Ambode Inspects Site Of Collapsed Lekki Gardens Building (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by philosopy: 9:49am On Mar 19, 2016
Must we build on water? Whst about the baren lands at Ikorodu, Ikotun etc. Just wasting human lives without ensuring peak standards sad

2 Likes

Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by philosopy: 9:54am On Mar 19, 2016
Toeyoursea:

Nigerians are well schooled but mostly lack knowledge. I though a minister is an administrative position until I came to nairaland.

1. Fashola is unarguably the second best administrator (after Donald Duke) since 1999.
2. Over the years, Engineers have been minister for power without result; may be an administrator with legal background should try.
3. As governor of Lagos, he used independent power units to power general hospitals, state house and other establishments (e.g. city hall)
4. As governor of Lagos, he generated over 100 mega watts of power under restrictions from Federal government.
5. Fashola is eloquent and his oratory skill are appreciable.

Egbon Sijo01, if you want his job; go and collect it.

no need for campaigning, all he ment was, "put the right plug inthe right hole"
things like this will always happen if we do not "diversify" our political afflictions to include experts for the right position.
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 10:21am On Mar 19, 2016
Toeyoursea:

I am happy to tell you nothing is constitutionally and morally wrong for a hair dresser to be the speaker and represent or lead her (his) people
Don't mind the guy he doesn't know anything.
The ones that are not hairdresser what did he do. We once had a graduate of Harvard University as a speaker. what did he do?
A virologist was once a Petroleum minister and he did well.
An architect with wealth of experience in oil sector fumbled as a minister of Petroleum
Leadership is different from qualification.
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by shamecurls(m): 10:27am On Mar 19, 2016
jamesbanjo:
Why wont building collapse...

When dey wil use a lawyer as minister of INFRASTRUCTURE

Read, so ye might probably have wisdom if ye believe

Toeyoursea:

Nigerians are well schooled but mostly lack knowledge. I though a minister is an administrative position until I came to nairaland.

1. Fashola is unarguably the second best administrator (after Donald Duke) since 1999.
2. Over the years, Engineers have been minister for power without result; may be an administrator with legal background should try.
3. As governor of Lagos, he used independent power units to power general hospitals, state house and other establishments (e.g. city hall)
4. As governor of Lagos, he generated over 100 mega watts of power under restrictions from Federal government.
5. Fashola is eloquent and his oratory skill are appreciable.

Egbon Sijo01, if you want his job; go and collect it.
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by kokumo1949: 10:55am On Mar 19, 2016
Sijo01:

Gbam! Just imagine a SAN as a Minister of power, works and housing. Too bad.

His job is cut out for him. He is to coordinate all the ministry together with array of all professional in the built environment.
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by gabbytabby: 10:56am On Mar 19, 2016
jamesbanjo:
Why wont building collapse...

When dey wil use a lawyer as minister of INFRASTRUCTURE

Wailers on the prowl omase o .
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by connkg(m): 11:02am On Mar 19, 2016
I think an Engineer will be better suited for the Power,Works and Housing Ministry because:
1. There is greater chance of advancement with knowledge, then experience, then administration. Fashola as Governor of Lagos had Commissioners, Advisers and a knowledgeable community. As Commissioner for Works under Tinubu, look and see what was achieved. He has only proven an administrative skill, combined with good advice. I believe that an Engineer's mind on the Nigerian problems on Power,Works and Housing will do better than a skilled administrator's mind, advice and motivation being equal.
2. In a long list of "misfits", correctness will be judged by closeness to fitness. If 6 Engineers, 3 Architects and 2 Lawyers are each to head an Engineering department,more is expected of the Engineers than either of the other two professions. With poor administration, either of the other two stand a better chance in successful implementation. Charting a course, though, must require Engineering input.
3. Technically, cross-over knowledge can be acquired...but this only, in reality, makes the learner an Engineer; skipped trainings might become important and such loss might be costly.

1 Like

Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by jamesbanjo(m): 11:07am On Mar 19, 2016
shamecurls:

Read, so ye might probably have wisdom if ye believe

Did I mention any name.... angry

Or do I look like a political person to yhu
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by jamesbanjo(m): 11:09am On Mar 19, 2016
gabbytabby:

Wailers on the prowl omase o .

Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by Nobody: 11:16am On Mar 19, 2016
amtaken:
If Doctors and other medical personnels take care of the sick, lawyers adjudicate for people in court, teachers teach pupils and students, why then do we leave building and construction works in the hands of quacks instead of civil engineers and architects?

Let's think about this please.

thank you o. help me ask dem.

designs meant for architects would be given to bricklayers and surveyors to do.

which is more expensive, paying architects their fees to give you quality design or re-constructing your building after a collapse, when almost all building facilities and finishes are in place.

practicing architecture in Nigeria is such a drag.

1 Like

Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by Boss13: 11:20am On Mar 19, 2016
Sijo01:

You can imagine that. Little wonder there is no light, no house and no road since assumption of office.

All we see is tour visitation. All those propagandas being played with newspapers during his tenure as governor has ceased. This is now time for serious business and not mouth making
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by semitunde: 11:29am On Mar 19, 2016
victorazy:

Na so one yeye QS man was commanding me, an architect on what to do, where to put my windows because he works with FCDA in Abuja. "Isorite"

Are you doing a government project? If so, then the Q.S.for the FCDA has the prerogative to advice on whether to add scope to a project or not; especially when they are trying to keep the project costs within budget as priced in the B.O.Q.

Beyond this, just tell the person to face his duties while you face yours.
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by ohimai83: 11:33am On Mar 19, 2016
Sijo01:

Bad belle. he governed the toughest state in Nigeria for 8 years and did a damn good job. You do not need an engineer to solve Nigeria's power problems. Money and due process is what is needed.
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by quickly: 11:34am On Mar 19, 2016
semitunde:

Are you doing a government project? If so, then the Q.S.for the FCDA has the prerogative to advice on whether to add scope to a project or not; especially when they are trying to keep the project costs within budget as priced in the B.O.Q.

Architect is for design , u will need a civil engineer to verify u r design..

On every building site there shd be a civil engineer checking design and also work quality.

There r thousands of civil graduates every year
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by lakizmet(m): 11:44am On Mar 19, 2016
Its only God dat can save us from all dis heartless n greedy contractors., mostly dis get rich quick developers.some of dis free standing houses ar disastars in waiting.wen u use a y12 road 4columns in a 2story building and also put ur cousin dat study accounting ad site engr jus to maximize profit.I always say dat diaris no cutting corners in building construction u all always pay wen u cut corners,directly or indirectly
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by kayusbrown(m): 12:20pm On Mar 19, 2016
connkg:
I think an Engineer will be better suited for the Power,Works and Housing Ministry because:
1. There is greater chance of advancement with knowledge, then experience, then administration. Fashola as Governor of Lagos had Commissioners, Advisers and a knowledgeable community. As Commissioner for Works under Tinubu, look and see what was achieved. He has only proven an administrative skill, combined with good advice. I believe that an Engineer's mind on the Nigerian problems on Power,Works and Housing will do better than a skilled administrator's mind, advice and motivation being equal.
2. In a long list of "misfits", correctness will be judged by closeness to fitness. If 6 Engineers, 3 Architects and 2 Lawyers are each to head an Engineering department,more is expected of the Engineers than either of the other two professions. With poor administration, either of the other two stand a better chance in successful implementation. Charting a course, though, must require Engineering input.
3. Technically, cross-over knowledge can be acquired...but this only, in reality, makes the learner an Engineer; skipped trainings might become important and such loss might be costly.

Meet Jim Yong Kim, the President of World Bank nominated by the President of the United States (A President with world-class special advisers):

Jim Yong Kim MD, PhD, also known as Kim Yong (Hangul: 김용; born December 8, 1959), is a South Korean and American physician and anthropologist who has served as the 12th President of the World Bank since July 1, 2012.

A global health leader, he was formerly the Chair of the Department of Global Health and Social Medicine at Harvard Medical School, and a co-founder and executive director of Partners In Health before serving as the President of Dartmouth College from 2009 to 2012, becoming the first Asian American president of an Ivy League institution.

It is a valid argument that an Economist is the right professional for this position (our own Ngozi Okonjo Iweala was also one of the contenders for the position) but decisions like this are not exactly straightforward. As at the time of appointing Jim Yong Kim, the world bank needed a break from the norm, someone with a pedigree for achieving set goals against all odds!

I am an Engineer and I also share the sentiment that an Electrical Engineer should man the Power Ministry. However, when you take a closer look at Nigeria's power problem, you'll discover that it is more of an Administrative problem than technical. All the excuses of low generation capacity, inadequate gas supply, faulty transmission lines, inefficient distribution networks etc. are all symptoms of one big problem: deeply entrenched corruption in the power sector. If you have been following Fashola closely, you will discover that he has viable plans to tackle this main problem. One of such plans is to ensure that every household uses a prepaid meter with no fixed monthly charges though tariff will be increased. This strategy if fully implemented will end the corruption in the power sector. What is funding the deeply entrenched corruption is the concept of estimated billing whereby you'll be forced to pay for power not consumed. When that is eliminated and all players in the power sector know that their revenue depends on efficient services, all the aforementioned excuses of inadequate gas etc. will fizzle out. Why do we have a working telecommunication system today? Because telecommunication companies will only earn when they make their services available for use and payment. Imagine if I and every subscribers have to pay a monthly rental for keeping an MTN line, wouldn't such revenue be enough to keep MTN lazy and not bother about efficient services? But as it is today, if something makes all the MTN base stations in Lagos stop working for a minute, MTN will stop at nothing in fixing that problem withing the shortest possible time becuase they know their ability to earn depends on the availability of the services they render. As it is today, our electricity companies 'earn' revenue without providing services and that must stop if any meaningful progress must be made.

1 Like

Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by victorazy(m): 12:48pm On Mar 19, 2016
semitunde:

Not really sir.
The QS is working with FCDA not as QS per say, but as one of their admin for approval of building plans, he don't even know how to handle scale rule sad and he was commanding me.
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by amazingspiderma: 1:06pm On Mar 19, 2016
I see no reason why the regulatory agency knew this much and still kept quite. They should be sued for negligence.
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by Ademat7(m): 1:30pm On Mar 19, 2016
[quote author=jeftalene post=43899142]'If building projects were considered more as
products than just services with contractors made
to issue warranties for stability, durability and
efficiency up to 40 years, building collapse would
become a thing of the past'
Engr. Osaz' Enobakhare
(Castles Weekly)

Issuing warranties by contractors can largely help
to exonerate building owner/developers from
being adjudged as complicit in event of a building
collapse as it naturally transfers the bulk of the
burden of defense to the contractor if a collapse
occur within the warranty period.

Likewise understanding the implication of issuing
a warranty makes it almost impossible for any
serious contractor to promote sharp practices
during the construction process. This would in
turn save lives and properties going forward.

I recently rejected an offer to carry out a
structural design of a proposed shopping complex
in Lekki because the project consultant insisted
that I carry out the structural design without first
conducting a soil test.

I probably turned down millions to save more
millions!

#Dotherightthing

For Project Advisory;
Building, road and Infrastructure projects.
E-mail: engineerosaz@gmail.com
Call/Whatsapp: Engr. Osaz on 08167394799
Heavens Contractors Ltd[/quote
pls where do u do ur soil test
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by michaelmo11(m): 1:45pm On Mar 19, 2016
jeftalene:
'If building projects were considered more as
products than just services with contractors made
to issue warranties for stability, durability and
efficiency up to 40 years, building collapse would
become a thing of the past'
Engr. Osaz' Enobakhare
(Castles Weekly)

Issuing warranties by contractors can largely help
to exonerate building owner/developers from
being adjudged as complicit in event of a building
collapse as it naturally transfers the bulk of the
burden of defense to the contractor if a collapse
occur within the warranty period.

Likewise understanding the implication of issuing
a warranty makes it almost impossible for any
serious contractor to promote sharp practices
during the construction process. This would in
turn save lives and properties going forward.

I recently rejected an offer to carry out a
structural design of a proposed shopping complex
in Lekki because the project consultant insisted
that I carry out the structural design without first
conducting a soil test.

I probably turned down millions to save more
millions!

#Dotherightthing

For Project Advisory;
Building, road and Infrastructure projects.
E-mail: engineerosaz@gmail.com
Call/Whatsapp: Engr. Osaz on 08167394799
Heavens Contractors Ltd

Good day sir, please which aspect of civil engineering do you major in? I am an undergraduate currently planning on my I.T.
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by jeftalene(m): 1:47pm On Mar 19, 2016
michaelmo11:

Good day sir, please which aspect of civil engineering do you major in? I am an undergraduate currently planning on my I.T.

Structural Engineering
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by jeftalene(m): 1:51pm On Mar 19, 2016
[quote author=Ademat7 post=43913418][/quote]
Soil tests are carried out on the site and soil samples from the site are also tested in a soil laboratory. It is the results from the test that is used to compute the foundation analysis and perfect the structural design.
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by Ademat7(m): 2:03pm On Mar 19, 2016
jeftalene:

Soil tests are carried out on the site and soil samples from the site are also tested in a soil laboratory. It is the results from the test that is used to compute the foundation analysis and perfect the structural design.
I understand cos I studied soil science from federal uni of agric Abeokuta but I want to know the lab location
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by jeftalene(m): 2:09pm On Mar 19, 2016
Ademat7:
I understand cos I studied soil science from federal uni of agric Abeokuta but I want to know the lab location

Kindly Google contact/ addresses of soil test labs in Nigeria.

I often use Unilag engineering Lab facility
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by Ademat7(m): 2:24pm On Mar 19, 2016
jeftalene:

Kindly Google contact/ addresses of soil test labs in Nigeria.
I often use Unilag engineering Lab facility
thanks for your reply
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by semitunde: 2:48pm On Mar 19, 2016
quickly:

Architect is for design , u will need a civil engineer to verify u r design..

On every building site there shd be a civil engineer checking design and also work quality.

There r thousands of civil graduates every year

Sorry, I'm not getting your point. I am also a Civil Engr by the way. Engrs don't necessarily "verify" architectural drawings; they just produce structural/desigin drawings, and in some cases advise the architect on the feasibility of such projects going forward.

This is however different from the point I was trying to make.
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by semitunde: 2:51pm On Mar 19, 2016
victorazy:

Not really sir.
The QS is working with FCDA not as QS per say, but as one of their admin for approval of building plans, he don't even know how to handle scale rule sad and he was commanding me.

Lol. Overzealousness. Just tell him ( with a smile) to allow you do your job.
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by connkg(m): 4:42pm On Mar 19, 2016
kayusbrown:

Meet Jim Yong Kim, the President of World Bank nominated by the President of the United States (A President with world-class special advisers):

Jim Yong Kim MD, PhD, also known as Kim Yong (Hangul: 김용; born December 8, 1959), is a South Korean and American physician and anthropologist who has served as the 12th President of the World Bank since July 1, 2012.

A global health leader, he was formerly the Chair of the Department of Global Health and Social Medicine at Harvard Medical School, and a co-founder and executive director of Partners In Health before serving as the President of Dartmouth College from 2009 to 2012, becoming the first Asian American president of an Ivy League institution.

It is a valid argument that an Economist is the right professional for this position (our own Ngozi Okonjo Iweala was also one of the contenders for the position) but decisions like this are not exactly straightforward. As at the time of appointing Jim Yong Kim, the world bank needed a break from the norm, someone with a pedigree for achieving set goals against all odds!

I am an Engineer and I also share the sentiment that an Electrical Engineer should man the Power Ministry. However, when you take a closer look at Nigeria's power problem, you'll discover that it is more of an Administrative problem than technical. All the excuses of low generation capacity, inadequate gas supply, faulty transmission lines, inefficient distribution networks etc. are all symptoms of one big problem: deeply entrenched corruption in the power sector. If you have been following Fashola closely, you will discover that he has viable plans to tackle this main problem. One of such plans is to ensure that every household uses a prepaid meter with no fixed monthly charges though tariff will be increased. This strategy if fully implemented will end the corruption in the power sector. What is funding the deeply entrenched corruption is the concept of estimated billing whereby you'll be forced to pay for power not consumed. When that is eliminated and all players in the power sector know that their revenue depends on efficient services, all the aforementioned excuses of inadequate gas etc. will fizzle out. Why do we have a working telecommunication system today? Because telecommunication companies will only earn when they make their services available for use and payment. Imagine if I and every subscribers have to pay a monthly rental for keeping an MTN line, wouldn't such revenue be enough to keep MTN lazy and not bother about efficient services? But as it is today, if something makes all the MTN base stations in Lagos stop working for a minute, MTN will stop at nothing in fixing that problem withing the shortest possible time becuase they know their ability to earn depends on the availability of the services they render. As it is today, our electricity companies 'earn' revenue without providing services and that must stop if any meaningful progress must be made.

Hello, fellow Engineer. The World Bank needed a skilled Administrator and got one. Strategic Planning won't have enlargement goals, but admin and consolidation. Maybe World Bank had financial sleaze to take care of? I think Nigeria also needs strategic increment planning in power generation within the next 4years. Lapses in rail transport vs. its management and administration are now apparent decades later. Fashola, Kim are excellent administrators, but timing and purpose for Fashola isn't exactly same as Kim. I think even Kim wouldn't be able to change the World Bank's strategic plan.
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by PHIPEX(m): 9:46pm On Mar 19, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:
stop being an illiterate and try to reason for once.

so long there's no school where one can study to bag a degree in governorship, anyone can become governor of a state so long other requirements are met. Since Fashola, a SAN, became governor, he was exposed to what made him become a technocrat.

A technocrat is someone that has a case knowledge of industries.

technocrats are whom they make ministers in any sector. If fashola could perform in lagos and succeeded in all sectors of the state which included power, housing and works, then why do you think he is a misfit for the ministerial role?

remember, he was once commissioner for works in lagos state and works is now part of his duty at the federal level.

you must be an iPod to have reasoned so low.
What you just said is not enough reason to kill specialisation in governance. If we go by your logic then any former governor can function as Attorney General and minister of justice. How much experience does Amechi have about transport? How much knowledge does Fashola have about soil testing, structural engineering and quality assurance? How can they supervise what they know nothing about? Isn't it obvious these ministers will have to entirely depend on civil servants and vulnerable to manipulations? If the president knows next to nothing about a ministry and the Minister is also ignorant then Nigeria Nigeria is at the mercy of those who are skilled in padding budget. The blind can't effectively lead nor supervised those with sight. A misplaced technocrat becomes an illiterate in a wrong ministry.

1 Like

Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by Nobody: 10:06pm On Mar 19, 2016
PHIPEX:
What you just said is not enough reason to kill specialisation in governance. If we go by your logic then any former governor can function as Attorney General and minister of justice. How much experience does Amechi have about transport? How much knowledge does Fashola have about soil testing, structural engineering and quality assurance? How can they supervise what they know nothing about? Isn't it obvious these ministers will have to entirely depend on civil servants and vulnerable to manipulations? If the president knows next to nothing about a ministry and the Minister is also ignorant then Nigeria Nigeria is at the mercy of those who are skilled in padding budget. The blind can't effectively lead nor supervised those with sight. A misplaced technocrat becomes an illiterate in a wrong ministry.
pls, make a list of all the commissions or ministries under a state government then tell me how many of them a governor know anything about. But a governor still supervises them.

You cant expect the minister for power to be the one climbing electric poles or fixing wires. Same way he was in his office as a governor giving directions to his commissioners is the same way he will direct the DGs on what to do which will be based on information he gathered.

If a SAN could be Nigeria's best governor ever, why do you think such a man can't turn things around in the ministry he is assigned to?

power, works and housing are a few of the things he solved in lagos. Remember?
Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by PHIPEX(m): 10:28pm On Mar 19, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:
pls, make a list of all the commissions or ministries under a state government then tell me how many of them a governor know anything about. But a governor still supervises them.

You cant expect the minister for power to be the one climbing electric poles or fixing wires. Same way he was in his office as a governor giving directions to his commissioners is the same way he will direct the DGs on what to do which will be based on information he gathered.

If a SAN could be Nigeria's best governor ever, why do you think such a man can't turn things around in the ministry he is assigned to?

power, works and housing are a few of the things he solved in lagos. Remember?
Isn't What you are defending a major reason why our govt institutions are redundant? Effective administration require background knowledge. That Fashola did well as Governor is not enough reason to do trial and error across the ministries. What happens to "square peg in a square whole". Is ministerial job all about giving blind directives? It is a huge loss on us as a country if the first 2 line of command (president and minister)are ignorant about a ministry, our govt will remain wasteful. Very soon we'll see former journalist made a minister of healt undecided

1 Like

Re: Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse by Jaideyone(m): 9:23am On Mar 20, 2016
Sijo01:

and the SAN is going to do the constructions and power plants by himself? try and use your head next time you need to make a comment.
in fact a SAN will be able to understand the legal implication of every contractual decision in power generation, road construction and housing agreements. remember this is a SAN who initiated several power generation PPP agreements while he was a governor. the same SAN is the brain behind Eko Atlantic city. Fashola as minister for works, power and housing is a great choice.

that's enough education for a day. have a great sunday

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should We Move Out? / Lagos To Create More Islands To Curb Land Scarcity / Cost Of Rent In Edo State Nigeria| Cotenant.ng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.