Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

Rivers Rerun: An Advice To Nigerian Youths - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers Rerun: An Advice To Nigerian Youths (424 Views)

Rivers Rerun:Asari Dokubo Storms Abonnema To Protect PDP's Votes(pics( / Amaechi And Wike In Handshake During Peace Meeting On Rivers Rerun / Rivers Rerun: PDP Agents Keep Vigil At INEC Office (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rivers Rerun: An Advice To Nigerian Youths by faaiz4ever(m): 9:28am On Mar 19, 2016
I am ashamed of the news coming from river state as they prepare for the scheduled National Assembly and the State House of Assembly rerun elections. An election that is supposed to be a political contest has become a bloody warfare. It is a shame that the political gladiators and major stakeholders are more interested in scoring political points with deaths and instigating violence instead of using the powers at their disposal to nip the violence that has brought shame to the state to the
bud. Nyesome Wike is the incumbent Governor, his position isn't up for grab, Rotimi Amaechi is the minister representing Rivers state in the federal excutive council, his position isn't on the line, yet statements credited to them are but a shame. Both Amaechi And Wike Are Gainers, None Is a Loser Anyway, my concern is the set of supporters and youths that allowed themselves to be used as a tool to settle scores on behalf of politicians. I have
monitored the stories of the Rivers violence and the
victims carefully, I saw NO single victim that is
related to Mr Rotimi Amaechi and Governor Nyesom Wike. Hundred percent of the victims are either
tagged "APC Supporters/Chieftains" or "PDP
Supporters/Chieftains". I checked again to see who
the biggest beneficiaries will be in the contest and
the names of Amaechi and Wike propped up. It is a
fact that irrespective of how the election goes, neither of Amaechi nor Wike will lose completely.
Wike will still be Governor, Amaechi will still be
minister and is guaranteed life mouth-watering
benefits from Rivers state's purse as a former
Governor. The losers are always the victims and
merchinaries of political violence. The Gladiators We Kill For Have Ways of Uniting History has shown that politicians in Nigeria are never enemies.

They always have a way of stoking violence between supporters and they still have a way of coming together to share the booty without recourse to ANY of their supporter nor victims. I will
give a few instances.... Between 2002 and 2003, then PDP's Governor Rabiu Kwankwaso supporters clashed with those of
ANPP's Presidential Aspirant Muhammadu Buhari
and ANPP's Governorship candidate Ibrahim
Shekarau, people lost their lives in the process.
However, thsame gladiators that people died and got injured for between 2002 and 2003 made up in
2013 and united under APC broom. Today, Buhari is
the President under APC platform while
Kwankwaso is a Senator under same APC platform.
What did those that died for them between
2002-2003 got? Any insurance for them? In Ekiti state between 2006 and 2013, supporters of
PDP's Gov Segun Oni and AC/ACN's Kayode Fayemi
engaged themselves in bloody clash in Ekiti state,
people lost their lives and properties. The same
gladiators that people died for between 2006 and
2013 made up in 2014 when Segun Oni joined APC. Today, Fayemi is a minister under APC government,
while Oni is the acting National Chairman of APC.
What did the families of the victim got? What did the
victim got? Any insurance? In Osun state, PDP's exGov Olagunsoye Oyinlola and
Governor Rauf Aregbesola's supporters repeatedly
clashed between 2006 and 2010, several lives were
lost in the process. Today, same political gladiators
are best of pals in APC. Oyinlola even nominated
some appointees to Aregbesola. Who loses? The victims or gladiators? Some of us may remember the bloody clash
between PDP's Adebayo Akala supporters and
Ajibola Ajimobi in 2007(ANPP) and 2011(ACN). There
were even picket of clashes in 2015 when both
battled each other the third time for the state's
number one seat, as usual lives were lost. But what do we have today? Akala is an APC Chieftain and an
ally of Ajimobi. What did their supporters and
victims get? Who loses? Even in Rivers state, I could recall how Wike/
Amaechi fought with Omehia group in 2007. Today,
Wike and Omehia are pals, Omehia receives full
estacodes of exGovernor, but Amaechi and Wike
are dramatising to be foes. Since their supporters
started clashing, who has been losing among them? Wike is a Governor, Amaechi is a minister, Peterside
is DG NIMASA. What did the victims of the violence
get? We all know that "something" awaits the losing
candidates for the rerun election either in the
federal level or state level as the case may be. What
awaits the victims of the violence and their families? In fact, Wike will always pay Amaechi his
entitlement as former Governor. Should I remind all that even at the peak of clash
between then Lagos state Gov Tinubu(AD/AC) and
then Works minister Seye Ogunlewe, Gov Tinubu still
appointed Ogunlewe(PDP)'s brother as his Head of
Service? What compensation did their victims get?
Even when Musliu Obanikoro's supporters and those of Bode George were killing themselves in 2007,
both men still got "something" for their troubles.
Bode was retained as NPA Chairman, while
Obanikoro was appointed an Ambassador to Ghana.
What did their footsoldiers and victims of attacks
get other than Obituary and Gone Too Soon? NO political gladiator is worth the blood of any poor
Nigerian. Why should we kill ourselves for them
when we are aware that they always have a way
of settling each other? Did Fayose not openly
supported Fayemi for juicy ministerial appointment
of recent? Is it not time for the youths to be wise? Young people and citizens of Nigeria should always
be passionate about positive political ideologies that
will advance the cause of our country irrespective
of political leaning, and not cheer the gladiators
when they pitch us against each other. As for the Rivers poll, though I want my party to win
the rerun, I shall not support winning through
violence of any form. I want a #PeacefulRivers and
not a #BloodyRivers. I want a Rivers that I can be
proud to call my state. This epistle should be more than enough for the wise!!!

May God Bless Us All and Bless Nigeria

Cc: lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Probe Jonathan / The Good Excuse / Will Change Affect Fulani Herdsmen?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.