Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:31 PM

The Reunion. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Reunion. (1051 Views)

The Reunion....(A Short Story) / Must Read: The Christmas Reunion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Reunion. by RemenZack(f): 7:09am On Mar 21, 2016
www.remenzack.com made this one!

Rosetta Berries, being the only adopted Child of her stern and ugly-looking Mother, Goodness Berries had to dress in the most genteel looking manner, even as a 16-year old.

It was the first time for her to visit her folks, who lived faraway in the suburbs of the town. Her Mother would say to Rosetta, that as a Child, she loved the smell of the Bakery and would play around in the Garden, with her Cousin, Daniel Berries, until the mean-old-looking bully, Roger would twist her ears, till they looked like they were going to bleed.

In the rickety and noisy Car, the only priced possession of her Mother, they still managed to reach their destination, without any scratches and scars. Goodness hollered at Rosetta once more, making sure the bow on her dress looked just fine.

"Make sure you smile, baby girl!" She would say most times. Other times, it would be, "Stand upright like a Woman. Dignity oozes out of an active body, girl!". Rosetta was never going to be accustomed to all of the unnecessary and taxing yells, making her curse herself for being adopted.

They knocked on the door, before noticing there was actually a rusty, old doorbell. Then came a nice and neat looking Help hobbling at the door. Her name was Lara, her eyes dim, as if she were going to grow blind like a bat in a few minutes. She briskly walked to and fro, just to get the refreshments or to make sure the Cake was safe in the kitchen or just to proof to her Employer that she was efficient and diligent enough.

Goodness' older sister, Mercy Berries didn't seem to care at all. She had a mean face, just like Goodness but she bellowed less, making Daniel grow a happy head on his shoulders.

Rosetta remembered a vivid picture of Daniel being sick-looking and gangly, but now, after 12 years, he was almost burly and brawny, as if he spent all of his days in a Gym Centre.

"Wow! Look at little Rosetta. Her boobs are so mighty now, just like mine. After actually breastfeeding Daniel, they didn't seem to remain the same," Mercy blurted out, making the ambience calm, while Lara iced the delectable looking Cake.

"Is that an actual Cake?" Goodness managed to ask, trying to kill the impertinent fact that her Sister actually just insulted her, calling her Barren.

"Yes, it is, Ma'am," Lara said quickly and easily. Her smile was effective and contagious, making the whole ambience lively again.

They moved to the dinning room, sitting awkwardly, waiting patiently for Lara to share the Cake and also pour the vintage Wine into their shiny and empty glasses. They could smell the main dish, cooking up in the Oven, making their bellies churn.

Rosetta was still playing with her Cake on a plate when Goodness snarled at her, making her grow a red eye and a sore countenance.

"You better eat, girl. I may not have Children of my own but I know how to take care of them regardless, like every other Mother," Goodness snarled some more, making Mercy drop her fork on her plate noisily.

"Well, Rosetta looks starved, for sure. You aren't doing your job at all. I mean, look at her arms, so skinny, like the relics of a Chicken!" Mercy said, now guffawing like an hysterical animal, making Daniel appalled.

"She's beautiful, Mom. I like how she looks!" Daniel commented now, his face downwards as he spoke. Rosetta, now almost crying managed to look at him shortly, just before running out to cry it out in the Garden. Daniel followed her quickly, while both Sisters battled their rancour for one another vehemently in verbatim.

"Barren Witch!" Mercy would say. While Goodness would reply, saying, "Lecherous Woman. You don't even know who the Father of your Son is. What a shame!".

Daniel offered Rosetta a spotless handkerchief, as she cried on it for a few more minutes, before giving it back to him. They talked about their childhood memories, likes, dislikes and hobbies, just before there was an heaven's cry, making them run back into the House.

Lara's dish was ready now, making them less angry at one another. They ate rather too silently, as if no one was even eating.

It was day 5 of the reunion and Goodness was dressed quaint and so was Rosetta. There were ready to head back to their own Home. Rosetta hugged her Cousin goodbye and smiled at her Aunt.

In the rickety Vehicle, now too silent, even with the raucous music playing, Rosetta still managed to say, "I think I've made myself pregnant!". Goodness only had a tight grip on the wheel, her face blanched and etched in terror.

"Well, we are not related by blood so I'm proud you could actually get pregnant, unlike me," Goodness said, her voice calm and icy. Then she added immediately, "We have to call Daniel and his Mother as soon as we get home. They deserve to know too."

"No! Daniel can never know he made me pregnant. The sex wasn't even good. He put it in the wrong hole and made a whole lot of mess on my dress," Rosetta said, now almost imploring, her hands shaky and sweaty.

"He still deserves to know, girl. I will call them as soon as we arrive." Goodness said, her tone firm and mood inscrutable.

"He is also gay. He's made love with Roger the Bully several times. He told me so!" Rosetta said, her face etched little in disgrace. Goodness grabbed the wheel more ferociously now, as the clangour sounds from the noisy stereo continued.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Reunion. by Jaytoy(f): 8:23am On Mar 21, 2016
Grab a pack of popcorn with zobo drink. Number one on seat. Keep it rolling.... Nice one.

1 Like

Re: The Reunion. by RemenZack(f): 8:34am On Mar 21, 2016
Jaytoy:
Grab a pack of popcorn with zobo drink. Number one on seat. Keep it rolling.... Nice one.
Thanks for reading and commenting.
Re: The Reunion. by donkross1(m): 6:03pm On Mar 22, 2016
Jaytoy shift for me joor. Remenzack am here to keep my word smiley

1 Like

Re: The Reunion. by RemenZack(f): 6:59pm On Mar 22, 2016
donkross1:
Jaytoy shift for me joor. Remenzack am here to keep my word smiley
Thanks for being fervent with your promise. I appreciate it.
Re: The Reunion. by donkross1(m): 8:02pm On Mar 22, 2016
RemenZack:

Thanks for being fervent with your promise. I appreciate it.

wink smiley

1 Like

Re: The Reunion. by Stlomo1s(f): 10:14pm On Mar 22, 2016
Lovin d story already,keep em comin......chai donkross1...here again!!!!!

1 Like

Re: The Reunion. by RemenZack(f): 5:30am On Mar 23, 2016
Stlomo1s:
Thanks for reading and commenting.
Re: The Reunion. by donkross1(m): 7:24am On Mar 23, 2016
Stlomo1s:

Lool.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

There Was A Writer: Re-mapping My Cultural Rebirth Under Chinua Achebe / Letter To My President - Poetry / The Demon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.