Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,359 members, 7,800,721 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:16 AM

Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) (48557 Views)

Best Banks To Work In Nigeria: List Of Highest Paying Banks - FinancialWatchNgr / How Much Will It Cost To Write TOEFL In Nigeria? Help Me With Materials Too / Lady Sacked For Not Wearing Bra To Work In US (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by duduade: 10:00pm On Mar 21, 2016
wiseoneking:
In school as a biology teacher in sec or Lecturer in Uni, in wild life and Zoological Institute, in tourism sector, in research institute, in all fishery coy, in Oil coy esp with masters in hydrology or everomental science, ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of enviroment, in hospitals, ocean research, Vet hospital, as a president like Gej.

I tire o
Thank you o I was so tired to reply but you did all the talking.

To the Op, I am surprised your sister had an msc in parasitology and she s where she is... Didn't she have a supervisor? Didn't she have friends while running her program? Colleagues...? Networking?

Parasitology is wide.. Involves some messy practicals. So many areas to dwell in. You need to have a mentor sha. Package yourself.... And be surrounded with colleagues who have the same mindset like you.......

My BSc was in Zoology, my Msc was in Parasitology and to God be the Glory I will be defending my Doctoral Degree in Parasitology in a few months time.

To think when I was writing Jamb years ago I was dying so hard to get into a university to study medicine but I was offered zoology. I remember trying to switch courses in my 300L but it didnt work... I guess since I couldn't get admitted into medicine and God forbid would I have settled for Basic Medical Science I decided to pursue the health part of Zoology and since then there has been no turning back...

I am proud to be a Zoologist..
I am proud to be a Public Health Parasitology..

I rest my case....

6 Likes

Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by duduade: 10:02pm On Mar 21, 2016
paulibling:

my friend that earns $3600 per month i mention on nairaland one certain time actually studied zoology BSC Applied Parasitology and Entomology MSC. He started with apprentice at CARTER CENTRE then to Entomology and Parasitology lab in one govt agency to HELEN KELLER INTERNATIONAL AND finally an American NGO where he earns in dollars here in Nigeria. He is eyeing WHO.

I read the same Zoology and MSC in Applied Entomology and Parasitology. Phd in view in molecular Entomology and i also eye WHO.i HAVE A well paid GOOD JOB in govt agency.
YOU must put GOD first in anything you do. ME and my homeboy aint what we are today on our strength but God made it so.

lots of my friends and school mate that studied courses like microbiology,biochemistry, medlab science etc are jobless. so the course you studied would not guarantee your success in that course but GOD.

Please pm me o... At least we could be fellow colleagues and be friends....
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by abbey621(m): 10:13pm On Mar 21, 2016
Omotolu:
...you don't seem to understand how Nigeria educational system or JAMB operate. She might have applied for Medical Science, but not meeting the cut off point became the problem. So half a bread is better than none. Hence she ends up in Zoology department. That's how dreams are being killed...

I understand the Nigerian educational system, I was just opening her eyes to reality. If you can waste 4 to 6 years on a course you do not have passion for then be prepared to handle whatever comes with it. Half bread is better than none is a statement that's true only if she is ready to work outside of her field!
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by kayjegs: 10:42pm On Mar 21, 2016
Going through the posts, I think the question of the OP has been answered. I also studied Zoology in Nigeria and now doing my PhD in Toxicology in Canada. I think people should know now that in Nigeria, there is no course you do that guarantees you job maybe except Medicine, nursing. Studying Zoology or some of those fancy named courses doesn't mean you are doing something better. It is more than that. It is about what you can do with your basic BSc or MSc training. It is about what you really want to do in life. Everything is not about job, job but about what type of job do I want to do? What can I do to get to where I want to. Also learn to talk to people, make friends and get the right connections. Information is the key plus God's direction. I'm proud to be a Zoologist.

4 Likes

Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by tsolah247: 10:43pm On Mar 21, 2016
you can work anywhere as far as in Nigeria. In shot you can even be a senator or a governor.
Can somebody tell me the different between our present LEADERS and the person that study Zoology.
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by Nobody: 11:18pm On Mar 21, 2016
ASO ROCK??
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by ekpotek: 11:22pm On Mar 21, 2016
It is apparent from many of the reactions posted there shows our shallow knowledge about the field of Zoology. Zoology is one of the four basic sciences with a wide range of opportunities for its graduates. I am a professor of parasitology and epidemiology here in Nigeria, many of my ex students are managers in banks, public institutions and international NGOs like Unicef, WHO, FHI, sightsavers, etc. with first degree in Zoology. Parasitology is one of the oldest fields in Zoology. It may interests you to know that many of diseases found in Nigeria are caused by parasites - malaria, river blindness, elephantiasis, round worm, lice, ticks, sleeping sickness etc. Medical and veterninary doctors only learn how to treat diseases, parasitologist are needed to help prevent and control these diseases. Unfortunately, we are not training enough parasitologist, that is why Nigeria remains the most endemic country in Africa for preventable parasitic diseases. I will encourage the OP sister to take career in research by getting a PhD and she will never regret it. I am technical advisor to WHO on neglected tropical diseases, and I will be happy to mentor the OP sister into as exciting career in parasitology if she is interested.

12 Likes

Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by caniva(m): 11:30pm On Mar 21, 2016
Please tell her to apply to The National Assembly, there are lots of animals there. angry
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by banio: 12:15am On Mar 22, 2016
She can be lucky to work in Chevron
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by opylas(m): 12:57am On Mar 22, 2016
MadCow1:
If you ask Jonathan, His Answer will be the Presidency..

If you ask Nnamdi kanu He will say Everybody working in Nigeria is working in a Zoo..

grin

But seriously though, if any of my Children say na Zoology, Parsitology or any mumu Art Course dem wan read, they better make sure its on a full scholarship because I will not waste my money training such a Child. angry

Na so I go just look the Pikin;

I'm not sure you know what parasitology means.

1 Like

Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by COOL10(m): 1:00am On Mar 22, 2016
Icon4s:
Sorry to say but your Sister still lives in the colonial days.

This is 2015! I can't believe there are still people who believe you can only earn a living from what you studied in School. shocked

Your University first degree is jst a stepping stone for you to achieve several other things in life.

Fine there are courses that u know when you study them you will most likely get a job in industries or sectors related to their course of study.
Eg Medicine, Pharmacy(partially), Nursing and related medical line.

For crying out loud Accounting/auditing firms are not dominated by accounting graduates but Engineers and people from technical disciplines.
You see people who studied Agric Economics, English, Mathematics and all working in Banks, Telecom, Manufactuting, Oil and Gas and what have you.

Even in the Zoo they may nt have more than one zoologist.

Your sister is where she is today bc she has refused to wake up to the realities of today.

U do B.Sc for Zoology u no get job u come go do masters for that field again.

why did u put 'partially' in parenthesis after pharmacy
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by opylas(m): 1:40am On Mar 22, 2016
Nnazimway:

So tell me,, what is wrong with studying parasitology or zoology?
What makes it a mumu course?
Who even told u it's an art course?
The op asked a question, and wants an answer not some crass statement from an ignorant fellow.

Just like some of the other commenters, he probably still sat for the last UTME and knows so little.

On the other hand, I wonder when people will learn to stop bringing important personal matters here. Nairaland has proven to not be a good home to them; there's a record.
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by Zenlife: 2:41am On Mar 22, 2016
Safari29:
Dear Nairalander, my sister had a B.Sc in Zoology couple of years ago and she couldn't find a work place that befit her course of study, she went further to obtain her Masters in Parasitology hopping to increase her chance of employment alas she still cannot find a befitting workplace. Shes presently working as a casual staff in a law firm earning a peanut and shes worried about not using her certs to get a befitting job. Please i need your help on likely companies she can apply to. thanks very much for your reply in advance.

easiest job to get... Nigeria itself is a zoo. Can the fish in the ocean be thirsty?
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by egobetatoday: 2:55am On Mar 22, 2016
Praizekeyz:
I saw vacancy at zaria forest when coming to read this thread.

pls can u post the link for the vacancy at zaria forests. thanks
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by Icon4s(m): 5:51am On Mar 22, 2016
COOL10:
why did u put 'partially' in parenthesis after pharmacy

A good number of pharmacy graduates today dnt get to practise their field of study.
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by MadCow1: 6:57am On Mar 22, 2016
opylas:

I'm not sure you know what parasitology means.

Since you are not sure, why then did you write it?
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by upsun: 7:22am On Mar 22, 2016
Safari29:
Dear Nairalander, my sister had a B.Sc in Zoology couple of years ago and she couldn't find a work place that befit her course of study, she went further to obtain her Masters in Parasitology hopping to increase her chance of employment alas she still cannot find a befitting workplace. Shes presently working as a casual staff in a law firm earning a peanut and shes worried about not using her certs to get a befitting job. Please i need your help on likely companies she can apply to. thanks very much for your reply in advance.

She can get a job in sambisa forest
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by igasiboy98: 8:04am On Mar 22, 2016
Icon4s:

Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by Icon4s(m): 8:10am On Mar 22, 2016
igasiboy98:
who told I that lie. I don't blame u anyway, u probably applied for pharmacy but was denied admission. think very well b4 posting what u don't know on nairaland.

Look my friend, think very well before you respond to peoples posts on nairaland. You maybe a Pharmacy student.
I graduated from school over 13yrs ago. I have worked in various sectors of the economy and establishments and have met with different practioners. I speak from experience.

You finish studying your Pharmacy and come and face the real world.

2 Likes

Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by egobetatoday: 8:25am On Mar 22, 2016
YemziAdez:
Well I'm still an undergraduate, but I major in Entomology (study of insects) and I did my training at the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research, she could work there also I.e if they are recruiting.

this NIMR is in which state?
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by Nobody: 8:33am On Mar 22, 2016
Safari29:

if she can sit for professional exams in her field of study and try to join international bodies, she can apply outside the country for work, UN or UNICEF or something of the sort. otherwise her save enough and go for PhD and start lecturing in one of Nigeria's universities.
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by Nobody: 8:59am On Mar 22, 2016
Lol can people learn to be helpful...the suggestions re hilarious.
Some courses don't fly in Nigeria, she should consider lecturing or teaching biology in a secondary school some pay well. To teach she also needs to a program to help the transition.
To work in a medical laboratory she needs to get certified cos she didn't study medical lab. Science.
Or look for NGOs like water aid etc that are into environmental projects and research.
Hope i made sense.
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by Eddodoh(m): 9:42am On Mar 22, 2016
aladitu:
I can bet it na Nur & Pry Schools you go end teaching C for Cat, D for dog, E for Elephant, F for Fish etc.

Fear God!
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by YemziAdez(m): 10:26am On Mar 22, 2016
egobetatoday:

this NIMR is in which state?
Lagos state, Yaba to be precise.

1 Like

Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by YemziAdez(m): 10:27am On Mar 22, 2016
tfx2012:
Lol can people learn to be helpful...the suggestions re hilarious.
Some courses don't fly in Nigeria, she should consider lecturing or teaching biology in a secondary school some pay well. To teach she also needs to a program to help the transition.
To work in a medical laboratory she needs to get certified cos she didn't study medical lab. Science.
Or look for NGOs like water aid etc that are into environmental projects and research.
Hope i made sense.

Yea you did.
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by YemziAdez(m): 10:33am On Mar 22, 2016
ekpotek:
It is apparent from many of the reactions posted there shows our shallow knowledge about the field of Zoology. Zoology is one of the four basic sciences with a wide range of opportunities for its graduates. I am a professor of parasitology and epidemiology here in Nigeria, many of my ex students are managers in banks, public institutions and international NGOs like Unicef, WHO, FHI, sightsavers, etc. with first degree in Zoology. Parasitology is one of the oldest fields in Zoology. It may interests you to know that many of diseases found in Nigeria are caused by parasites - malaria, river blindness, elephantiasis, round worm, lice, ticks, sleeping sickness etc. Medical and veterninary doctors only learn how to treat diseases, parasitologist are needed to help prevent and control these diseases. Unfortunately, we are not training enough parasitologist, that is why Nigeria remains the most endemic country in Africa for preventable parasitic diseases. I will encourage the OP sister to take career in research by getting a PhD and she will never regret it. I am technical advisor to WHO on neglected tropical diseases, and I will be happy to mentor the OP sister into as exciting career in parasitology if she is interested.

God Bless You Sir, I really appreciate this your elaborate explanation.
I'm hoping to be like you some day, though I'm still an undergraduate and I have a long way to Go.

1 Like

Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by alaskido(m): 10:48am On Mar 22, 2016
Go work in BUHARI'S ZOO IN DAURA. grin grin
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by Grandest(m): 11:36am On Mar 22, 2016
Icon4s:
Sorry to say but your Sister still lives in the colonial days.

This is 2015! I can't believe there are still people who believe you can only earn a living from what you studied in School. shocked

Your University first degree is jst a stepping stone for you to achieve several other things in life.

Fine there are courses that u know when you study them you will most likely get a job in industries or sectors related to their course of study.
Eg Medicine, Pharmacy(partially), Nursing and related medical line.

For crying out loud Accounting/auditing firms are not dominated by accounting graduates but Engineers and people from technical disciplines.
You see people who studied Agric Economics, English, Mathematics and all working in Banks, Telecom, Manufactuting, Oil and Gas and what have you.

Even in the Zoo they may nt have more than one zoologist.

Your sister is where she is today bc she has refused to wake up to the realities of today.

U do B.Sc for Zoology u no get job u come go do masters for that field again.

Pharmacy( partially)? Could you please shed more light on that?
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by Taryur3(m): 2:04pm On Mar 22, 2016
sykeng:
. only banks? that means you dont know what you studied. i hv frnds working in public firms related to zoology, so not only banks, proudly parasitologist
whatever bro.av only shared my view.no offence.good luck with your Parasitology.but I will never advice any soul to study such boring course prior my experience.
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by COOL10(m): 2:21pm On Mar 22, 2016
Icon4s:

A good number of pharmacy graduates today dnt get to practise their field of study.
. On what basis was ur judgement derived 4rm
Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by Nnazimway(f): 3:42pm On Mar 22, 2016
duduade:

I tire o
Thank you o I was so tired to reply but you did all the talking.

To the Op, I am surprised your sister had an msc in parasitology and she s where she is... Didn't she have a supervisor? Didn't she have friends while running her program? Colleagues...? Networking?

Parasitology is wide.. Involves some messy practicals. So many areas to dwell in. You need to have a mentor sha. Package yourself.... And be surrounded with colleagues who have the same mindset like you.......

My BSc was in Zoology, my Msc was in Parasitology and to God be the Glory I will be defending my Doctoral Degree in Parasitology in a few months time.

To think when I was writing Jamb years ago I was dying so hard to get into a university to study medicine but I was offered zoology. I remember trying to switch courses in my 300L but it didnt work... I guess since I couldn't get admitted into medicine and God forbid would I have settled for Basic Medical Science I decided to pursue the health part of Zoology and since then there has been no turning back...

I am proud to be a Zoologist..
I am proud to be a Public Health Parasitology..

I rest my case....

God bless you.....
Am also proud
#Team parasitolgists#

1 Like

Re: Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) by Nnazimway(f): 3:50pm On Mar 22, 2016
ekpotek:
It is apparent from many of the reactions posted there shows our shallow knowledge about the field of Zoology. Zoology is one of the four basic sciences with a wide range of opportunities for its graduates. I am a professor of parasitology and epidemiology here in Nigeria, many of my ex students are managers in banks, public institutions and international NGOs like Unicef, WHO, FHI, sightsavers, etc. with first degree in Zoology. Parasitology is one of the oldest fields in Zoology. It may interests you to know that many of diseases found in Nigeria are caused by parasites - malaria, river blindness, elephantiasis, round worm, lice, ticks, sleeping sickness etc. Medical and veterninary doctors only learn how to treat diseases, parasitologist
are needed to help prevent and control these diseases. Unfortunately, we are not training enough parasitologist, that is why Nigeria remains the most endemic country in Africa for preventable parasitic diseases. I will encourage the OP sister to take career in research by getting a PhD and she will never regret it. I am technical advisor to WHO on neglected tropical diseases, and I will be happy to mentor the OP sister into as exciting career in parasitology if she is interested.
U sed it all,,,,, but can I get this info from you since u work for WHO.?
Can one do his or her youth service in WHO.?
is der anything related to pageantry organized by WHO?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Diamond Bank Sacks over 1000 Staffs / Breaking news : ICAN releases the result of 2016 May Diet Exam / Unpopular Tech Jobs That Pay More Than The Popular Ones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.