Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,672 members, 7,801,937 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? (42027 Views)

Incorporation Of Your Companies / The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising / We Handle Business And Company Incorporation Issues. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by bigyomite(m): 4:53pm On Mar 23, 2016
Incorporation Year- the date your organisation was register under CAC
Establishment Year- The date you open your organisation
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by PBundles(m): 4:53pm On Mar 23, 2016
In short these terms can intertwine and can vary from one country to the other based on local business law.

In short a company can be established (starting point, date) without it being fully incorporated. Incorporation calls for legal documentation to be drawn up (articles of incorporation, registration into chamber or commerce or companies registry). Reason behind this may be that the owner also wishes to make use of certain advantages that incorporating his company may have.

Its nice to note that the term established, seen usually as Est., is an older phenomenon.

Which one you choose to use to celebrate is trivial, if its a successful company, who cares, grin use what ever date you want, though I would think its the day you established.
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by steve308(m): 4:54pm On Mar 23, 2016
incorporation year has to do with the date that was stated on your company incorporation certificate, while year of established has to do with the dated your company commenced business. grin grin
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by montezz(f): 4:54pm On Mar 23, 2016
boboLIL:
Came to learn as you too...
*sits beside him* bros shift yansh abeg.
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by ItzTun3chi(m): 4:55pm On Mar 23, 2016
seunlayi:
I love most of the threads that made it to fp on nairaland today. No snakes.... No tonto dike,....etc Is Lai...... on break?
grin grin
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Mar 23, 2016
MyTime3:
"You CANNOT Incorporate before you Establish"

That's incorrect, Haven't you heard of off the shelf companies?. ready made Incorporated companies with no activities. You can incorporate in anticipation of establishing.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by boboLIL(m): 4:57pm On Mar 23, 2016
montezz:

*sits beside him* bros shift yansh abeg.
e no go enta us abeg,,, ur yansh too big.. Lolss
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Mar 23, 2016
MyTime3:
Yes @ OP. The Year you started the business is the "Established Year" while the Year you Registered the business with CAC is the "Incorporated Year".

Anniversaries are usually done with the Year of Establishment which is usually earlier or the same as the year of Incorporation.

in order words.. "You CAN Establish before you incorporate", You CAN "Establish and Incorporate at the same time" but "You CANNOT Incorporate before you Establish"
but sir, what if a biz gets its approval from CAC and becos of the unavailability of its input at the very period fail to start operation, can the biz be said to have been established?
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by kemifemi: 4:59pm On Mar 23, 2016
year of incorporation is the date/year the organisation got registered with CAC which is corporate affairs commission.
the year of commencement of business is the year the company started trading.
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Mar 23, 2016
MadCow1:
Year of Incorportation: This is the year you started to co-operate with Guys.

Year of Establishment This is the year you Established a.k.a the year you Hammer.

cool

Dont Thank me, thank God.
joking with everything is not the best way of life.
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by MadCow1: 5:02pm On Mar 23, 2016
franciskaine:
joking with everything is not the best way of life.

I agree..

cry

Sadly, I can't help myself. I guess that's one of the reasons for being MadCow.
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Mar 23, 2016
davodyguy:
Incorporation = certificate of registration under CAMA 1990 or with CAC

Established: the day you opened shop and started trading

Both could also be same day
but a layman doesn't know what CAMA is- Company and Allied Matters Act.
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by Lilimax(f): 5:04pm On Mar 23, 2016
Soundmind:
Year if establishment is the year the business started while year of incorporation is the year it was registered with corporate affairs commission. A business can start for some years before the owner register it with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC). The year it was registered is the year it becomes a legal person.
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by MadCow1: 5:04pm On Mar 23, 2016
davodyguy:
Incorporation = certificate of registration under CAMA 1990 or with CAC

Established: the day you opened shop and started trading

Both could also be same day

I would have thought this was obvious.. undecided
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Mar 23, 2016
MadCow1:

I agree..
cry

Sadly, I can't help myself. I guess that's one of the reasons for being MadCow.
funny, dint even look at ur moniker before.
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by tickles2luv2016(m): 5:15pm On Mar 23, 2016
routik:
Hello people,

I need clarification on the difference between Incorporation year and Established year.

I am aware that year of incorporation is the year that appears on your company's CAC certificate. But when you see Established year, does it mean the year you started operations or is it the same thing with year of incorporation?

If they are different, which one do you select in celebrating your company's anniversary?, as many businesses didn't start operations the same year they were incorporated.

Your reasonable input will be highly appreciated.

Year of Incorporation is when the company was registered by the corporate affairs commission,while year of establishment was whenthe company was commissioned or unveiled as a company
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by MadCow1: 5:15pm On Mar 23, 2016
franciskaine:
funny, dint even look at ur moniker before.

Yeah!!

The Moniker seems to be taking over me..

Meanwhile, I have edited my initial post.. Go have a look and tell me what you think.
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by yusufbida(m): 5:21pm On Mar 23, 2016
routik:
Hello people,

I need clarification on the difference between Incorporation year and Established year.

I am aware that year of incorporation is the year that appears on your company's CAC certificate. But when you see Established year, does it mean the year you started operations or is it the same thing with year of incorporation?

If they are different, which one do you select in celebrating your company's anniversary?, as many businesses didn't start operations the same year they were incorporated.

Your reasonable input will be highly appreciated.

Don't mind all the poster above me Accounting Student will provide you the difference you need to know.
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Mar 23, 2016
MadCow1:

Year of Establishment This is the year you Established a.k.a the year you Hammer.

cool

EDITED:: Okay, so after being called out by some people for being unserious, I have decided to be serious.. SO SERIOUSLY SPEAKING NOW

OP, since you are confused with the Establishment date, I will give you an example.. Have you seen a FirstBank Sign? Example below..

Thats what they are asking. That date may not be the same as the Date it got incorporated. Infact it shouldnt be the same as the incorporation date.

Many Businesses have signs with the 'Est. Since 9120', e.t.c.. The Date of Incorporation may be Older or Younger than the date of Establishment.

For my company, the date of Incorporation is 3 years older than the date of Establishment.

I hope this answers your question..

Cc: Ujsizzle & franciskane. I hope you guys are cool now.. grin Please keep me in your prayers.. I think I am actually Mad.
impressed!
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by UjSizzle(f): 5:22pm On Mar 23, 2016
MadCow1:

cool

EDITED:: Okay, so after being called out by some people for being unserious, I have decided to be serious.. SO SERIOUSLY SPEAKING NOW

OP, since you are confused with the Establishment date, I will give you an example.. Have you seen a FirstBank Sign? Example below..

Thats what they are asking. That date may not be the same as the Date it got incorporated. Infact it shouldnt be the same as the incorporation date.

Many Businesses have signs with the 'Est. Since 9120', e.t.c.. The Date of Incorporation may be Older or Younger than the date of Establishment.

For my company, the date of Incorporation is 3 years older than the date of Establishment.

I hope this answers your question..

Cc: Ujsizzle & franciskane. I hope you guys are cool now.. grin Please keep me in your prayers.. I think I am actually Mad.
I believe you're actually mad but there is yet hope for you grin

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by jaz(m): 5:22pm On Mar 23, 2016
ive read quite a bit of comments and must say i'm amused. lots of incorrect info being passed around. let me clarify a few points.

- the Law governing establishment and management of a business enterprise, whether sole proprietorship, partnership, limited companies, public entities, is the "Companies and Allied Matters Act" of Nigeria

- According to Part B, Section 573 (1) of CAMA" "Every individual, firm or corporation having a place of business in Nigeria and carrying on business under a business name shall be registered..." so once you establish even a shop you are required by law to register with CAC. this is further corroborated in Section 21 (1c) of CAMA.

- Date of establishment is also the same as the date of incorporation because no company can operate in Nigeria without registration

- For those who engage in business enterprise in NIgeria, such activities are considered null and void however this does not apply to payment of taxes. but payment of taxes would also require registration grin so you decide.

- For those who have established a business without registration or later registration and most likely without payment of taxes, or notification of respective tax offices , are seating on a keg of gun powder and have no right to complain if they don't have basic social amenities.

- let me know if you have any further questions. Peace!
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by Mayflowa(m): 5:22pm On Mar 23, 2016
MyTime3:
Yes @ OP. The Year you started the business is the "Established Year" while the Year you Registered the business with CAC is the "Incorporated Year".

Anniversaries are usually done with the Year of Establishment which is usually earlier or the same as the year of Incorporation.

in order words.. "You CAN Establish before you incorporate", You CAN "Establish and Incorporate at the same time" but "You CANNOT Incorporate before you Establish"

Why not? U can register your company when you have an idea and start operation in later year
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by UjSizzle(f): 5:29pm On Mar 23, 2016
jaz:
ive read quite a bit of comments and must say i'm amused. lots of incorrect info being passed around. let me clarify a few points.

- the Law governing establishment and management of a business enterprise, whether sole proprietorship, partnership, limited companies, public entities, is the "Companies and Allied Matters Act" of Nigeria

- According to Part B, Section 573 (1) of CAMA" "Every individual, firm or corporation having a place of business in Nigeria and carrying on business under a business name shall be registered..." so once you establish even a shop you are required by law to register with CAC. this is further corroborated in Section 21 (1c) of CAMA.

- Date of establishment is also the same as the date of incorporation because no company can operate in Nigeria without registration

- For those who engage in business enterprise in NIgeria, such activities are considered null and void however this does not apply to payment of taxes. but payment of taxes would also require registration grin so you decide.

- For those who have established a business without registration or later registration and most likely without payment of taxes, or notification of respective tax offices , are seating on a keg of gun powder and have no right to complain if they don't have basic social amenities.

- let me know if you have any further questions. Peace!

it is possible to start business operations before incorporating your business. It is illegal, but it's done.
And for tax purposes the proprietor can either do the right thing by remitting returns on income from the date of establishment, or he can change all the bank accounts of the company and create new ones (i.e assume the company began operations on the date of incorporation.) which is wrong cheesy
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by tritt(m): 5:30pm On Mar 23, 2016
Guy if you have access to NL you should as well have access to GOOGLE.
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by EZENDDIGBO(m): 5:30pm On Mar 23, 2016
MyTime3:

na pple like you dey get first class.
Sir very impressive and comprehensive. Thank q

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by Justiyke4u: 5:31pm On Mar 23, 2016
Established year is the it was founded while incorporation year is the year it acquired the status of legal personality so in celebrating anniversary you use the year founded that is established year
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by jaz(m): 5:32pm On Mar 23, 2016
true but i don't support shady stuff smiley Integrity is more than a word
UjSizzle:

it is possible to start business operations before incorporating your business. It is illegal, but it's done.
And for tax purposes the proprietor can either do the right thing by remitting returns on income from the date of establishment, or he can change all the bank accounts of the company and great new ones (i.e assume the company began operations on the date of incorporation.) which is wrong cheesy
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by UjSizzle(f): 5:32pm On Mar 23, 2016
MyTime3:

Oga mi, you can actually incorporate today and start operations in 5yrs. Ain't nobody gonna kill ya undecided
Re: Difference Between Incorporation Year And Established Year? by UjSizzle(f): 5:34pm On Mar 23, 2016
jaz:
true but i don't support shady stuff smiley Integrity is more than a word
I agree with you. It doesn't make any sense to est a business without incorporating unless there's an intention to defraud the public or/and the government.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hawkers Fight Dirty On Lagos Ibadan Express Road Over Customer / Man Sprays Bagful of Dollar Notes From Upstairs to Passers-by in Shopping Mall / Access Bank's Post Against Chelsea On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.