Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,627 members, 7,801,813 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:01 AM

John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles (46465 Views)

Michael Obi: Mikel’s Father Kidnapped, Rescued In Enugu Forest (Photo) / Ahmed Musa Steps Down As Assistant Captain Of Super Eagles / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by adenitemi: 12:28pm On Mar 24, 2016
Press conference happening now...

Ahmed Musa : I want to announce now that from today, John Obi Mikel is our new captain.

See tweets below

https://twitter.com/thenff/status/712962242615107588?s=08

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by viqueta(m): 12:34pm On Mar 24, 2016
long over due. well deserved. congrats JOM......teamFTC

75 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by Birikiti: 12:38pm On Mar 24, 2016
Yes! Saw this coming.

More coming from me on this.....

Firstly, I believe this is a huge step in the right direction to banish the tension in the squad created by Sunday Oliseh's numerous run-ins with players, officials, media and fans!

I'm most delighted in having Ahmed Musa make the announcements as this shows there are no hard feelings as per the matter. It also shows Siasia has grown in Man management skills; which was his bane during his previous reign as Super Eagles coach.

Also, Mikel's response of declaring his absolute loyalty to the Coach and team is very heart-warming. When Mikel plays, Nigeria ticks! So we can only expect a rejuvenated team playing with verve and cutting edge.

Lastly, I have always been a Siasia advocate because I believe the Eagles played their best games in decades, under his tutelage in 2011! His 2008 Dream Team also played such disciplined football that one of the commentators in the match Nigeria vs Belgium (Olympics Semi finals) gushed about the fact that he hadn't seen any African team play with such African flair and European discipline! His combination with the pace setting style of Coach Amunike should give Nigeria a team that can rival the USA 1994 Team both in flair and RESULTS!

I sincerely hope Siasia/Amunike combo can re-enact the entertaining and high scoring playing style the Super Eagles used to have, starting tomorrow vs Egypt. I have a feeling we will win comfortably in the end and after that, we will address the little matter of confirming this coaching crew as the substantive Super Eagles Management Team!

110 Likes 8 Shares

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by phamarsenal: 12:38pm On Mar 24, 2016
yes dat is d right thing to do. well done siaone, Mikel cannot be there and musa is wearing d captain armband.its an insult

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by Halleydavid: 12:38pm On Mar 24, 2016
Biko,why nah angry

1 Like

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by rheether(f): 12:42pm On Mar 24, 2016
Oliseh is a failure.

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by Agimor(m): 12:46pm On Mar 24, 2016
The snail himself I nor call name o.

5 Likes

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by seankay(m): 12:55pm On Mar 24, 2016
Captain Mikel reunites with Siasia. Musa doesn't even resemble a Captain.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by Joniboi(m): 12:58pm On Mar 24, 2016
Chelsea star John Mikel Obi has been named the new captain of the Super Eagles.

Former captain Ahmed Musa announced during the team pre match conference that it’s not right for him to be the captain when a senior player like Mikel is in the team.

Mikel thanked Ahmed Musa for being a model professional and promised to lead the Eagles to a win against Egypt tomorrow

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by viqueta(m): 1:13pm On Mar 24, 2016
seankay:
how does a captain look like biko??

26 Likes

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by jotey(m): 1:23pm On Mar 24, 2016
seankay:
true talk

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by jotey(m): 1:24pm On Mar 24, 2016
viqueta:
a captain is someone respected by all players in a team....Mikel fit m

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by Sunnypa11(m): 1:29pm On Mar 24, 2016
Musa don commot pressure for body while Mikel go turn beast again

6 Likes

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by jotey(m): 1:30pm On Mar 24, 2016
Halleydavid:
Biko,why nah angry
badbelle

1 Like

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:31pm On Mar 24, 2016
John Mikel Obi finally set to "officially" lead the Super Eagles in a competitive fixture.

Wow! Awesome. It's not the first time he'll be wearing the arm-band.

He did so in a friendly against Messi's Argentina in Asia (bangladesh I think?) which Nigeria lost by 3-1 in a 2-legged friendly series which saw the first leg end 4-1 in favor of Nigeria's Super Eagles (the Guiness cup friendly match).

I'm 100% certain Samson Siasia had a big hand in straightening the captaincy issue out. He must be applauded and Musa commended for acknowledging "seniority" and "Class".

Mikel leading out the Super Eagles tomorrow officially in his first competitive fixture as Captain will be a huge sight to behold.

He's feared and well respected by teams all over Africa and around the world. Mikel commands the fear factor and the super class and pedigree to strike fear in opponents as Super Eagles new captain.

Siasia has handled this very well indeed. This is partly where Oliseh missed it. It's like the biblical scenario where Jacob cursed reuben only generations to pass before a great prophet named Moses took the curse away.

Well, with this "skipper issue" now corrected and placed right.... Let's hope this augurs well tomorrow for the Super Eagles and even beyond the afcon qualifiers.

Going a little down memory lane.

I recall a host of bright minds discussed this Super Eagles captaincy issue late last year on Safarigirl's thread titled, "OlisehvsEnyeama and the impending doom".
....................................................................................
www.nairaland.com/2648783/oliseh-vs-enyeama-impending-doom
....................................................................................

I think some of us are now vindicated based on points we raised in that explosive thread. #smiles

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by jotey(m): 1:33pm On Mar 24, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
just incase abi grin
TheSuperNerd:
just incase abi....heheh
Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:37pm On Mar 24, 2016
You can say that again and again. Watch out for the beast of Mikel as Nigeria's Super Eagles' official team leader.

He's always been The Super Eagles out-field leader even when Enyeama (the team's ex-overall leader) was around.

At AFCON 2013, Mikel led from midfield. Sometimes, a leader don't need the captain band but in today's football era, coaches understand sometimes your captain must be one who has not just experience but must be the best player or one of the best players in the team AND MUST ULTIMATELY CARRY THE FEAR FACTOR THAT CAN INTIMIDATE THE OPPONENTS.

Sunnypa11:
Musa don commot pressure for body while Mikel go turn beast again

1 Like

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:38pm On Mar 24, 2016
My brother... NL no dey laugh these days. #smiles

jotey:
just incase abi ;Djust incase abi....heheh
Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by lexyman(m): 1:42pm On Mar 24, 2016
Mikel should be able to shoulder the burden that comes with captaincy , I hope its not pressure that has made Musa bow ?We are not ready to listen to any revelation after some months

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by Philawole(m): 1:42pm On Mar 24, 2016
This is how a team is managed...siasia didnt give the captaincy to mikel, but musa did the right things by handing over the captain armband to the most senior player in the squad presently.
Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by seankay(m): 1:46pm On Mar 24, 2016
viqueta:
it's ineffable
Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by 4hys: 2:22pm On Mar 24, 2016
k
Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by MadCow1: 2:22pm On Mar 24, 2016
Why?
Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by pat077: 2:22pm On Mar 24, 2016
Gud one. Though, i won't blame oliseh for nt making mikel the captain then because he was a perpetual bench warmer under mourinho. He is now a regular and that's good for the team.

1 Like

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by Feranchek(m): 2:23pm On Mar 24, 2016
Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by JoaHynppes(m): 2:23pm On Mar 24, 2016
Well deserved

1 Like

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by Chanchit: 2:23pm On Mar 24, 2016
CoNgrats
Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by DIKEnaWAR: 2:25pm On Mar 24, 2016
Whoever gave Musa Captain? Dude is not even sure of himself.

5 Likes

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by Soso990240(m): 2:26pm On Mar 24, 2016
Fair
Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by Mopolchi: 2:27pm On Mar 24, 2016
Wow Up Super Eagles. Make Mikel do well.

1 Like

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by yemmight(m): 2:28pm On Mar 24, 2016
You see the demonstration of good leadership. While giving Musa when the likes of Mikel has been in the team before? Siasia get brain no be small.

1 Like

Re: John Obi-Mikel Is Captain Of The Super Eagles by Strongbest(m): 2:28pm On Mar 24, 2016
I beg make una no laugh me o. What about Oliseh na? Is he no longer the coach? sad undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua / Cristiano Ronaldo Jr. Signs For Manchester United / How Paul Pogba Went From Savior To A Complete Waste Of Money In 10 Images

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.