Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,036 members, 7,807,110 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

What’s So Good About Good Friday? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What’s So Good About Good Friday? (8895 Views)

Good Friday: 7 Catholic Devotees Nailed To Cross In Philippines (photos) / 15 Amazing Things To Know About Good Friday / Today Is Good Friday: How To Celebrate Good Friday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Orator2383: 8:58am On Mar 25, 2016
I was going through my bible this morning with my camon c8 just to know about Good Friday so I came across this....

Why do we call Good Friday “good,” when it is such a dark and bleak event commemorating a day of suffering and death for Jesus?
For Christians, Good Friday is a crucial day of the year because it celebrates what we believe to be the most momentous weekend in the history of the world. Ever since Jesus died and was raised, Christians have proclaimed the cross and resurrection of Jesus to be the decisive turning point for all creation. Paul considered it to be “of first importance” that Jesus died for our sins, was buried, and was raised to life on the third day, all in accordance with what God had promised all along in the Scriptures (1 Corinthians 15:3).

On Good Friday we remember the day Jesus willingly suffered and died by crucifixion as the ultimate sacrifice for our sins (1 John 1:10). It is followed by Easter, the glorious celebration of the day Jesus was raised from the dead, heralding his victory over sin and death and pointing ahead to a future resurrection for all who are united to him by faith (Romans 6:5).

Still, why call the day of Jesus’ death “Good Friday” instead of “Bad Friday” or something similar? Some Christian traditions do take this approach: in German, for example, the day is called Karfreitag, or “Sorrowful Friday.” In English, in fact, the origin of the term “Good” is debated: some believe it developed from an older name, “God’s Friday.” Regardless of the origin, the name Good Friday is entirely appropriate because the suffering and death of Jesus, as terrible as it was, marked the dramatic culmination of God’s plan to save his people from their sins.

In order for the good news of the gospel to have meaning for us, we first have to understand the bad news of our condition as sinful people under condemnation. The good news of deliverance only makes sense once we see how we are enslaved. Another way of saying this is that it is important to understand and distinguish between law and gospel in Scripture. We need the law first to show us how hopeless our condition is; then the gospel of Jesus’ grace comes and brings us relief and
salvation.

In the same way, Good Friday is “good” because as terrible as that day was, it had to happen for us to receive the joy of Easter. The wrath of God against sin had to be poured out on Jesus, the perfect sacrificial substitute, in order for forgiveness and salvation to be poured out to the nations. Without that awful day of suffering, sorrow, and shed blood at the cross, God could not be both “just and the justifier” of those who trust in Jesus (Romans 3:26). Paradoxically, the day that seemed to be the greatest triumph of evil was actually the deathblow in God’s gloriously good plan to redeem the world from bondage.

The cross is where we see the convergence of great suffering and God’s forgiveness. Psalms 85:10 sings of a day when “righteousness and peace” will “kiss each other.” The cross of Jesus is where that occurred, where God’s demands, his righteousness, coincided with his mercy. We receive divine forgiveness, mercy, and peace because Jesus willingly took our divine punishment, the result of God’s righteousness against sin. “For the joy set before him” (Hebrews 12:2) Jesus endured the cross on Good Friday, knowing it led to his resurrection, our salvation, and the beginning of God’s reign of righteousness and peace.
Good Friday marks the day when wrath and mercy met at the cross. That’s why Good Friday is so dark and so Good

http://justinholcomb.com/2012/04/03/whats-good-about-good-friday/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Frontier2: 9:03am On Mar 25, 2016
Haleluyah the Lord is good... FTC
Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by oyin2343567(f): 9:06am On Mar 25, 2016
This is partially correct.

1 Like

Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by eli23456(f): 9:08am On Mar 25, 2016
Haleluyah...

1 Like

Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by DeHero1: 9:11am On Mar 25, 2016
Today's Good Friday

Happy Easter in advance
Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Orator2383: 9:26am On Mar 25, 2016
Same to you..
Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Thylord(m): 9:38am On Mar 25, 2016
It is called good friday because it is a good friday or is today not good to you.
Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Maximum83: 10:40am On Mar 25, 2016
Happy good Friday to you all
Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by DICKtator: 12:47pm On Mar 25, 2016
[size=58pt] T.G.I.F.[/size].

grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Hillzy(m): 12:47pm On Mar 25, 2016
T
Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Sunnycliff(m): 12:47pm On Mar 25, 2016
It is GOOD because if not the death of Christ there will be no salvation for man kind!

4 Likes

Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Drsheddy(m): 12:48pm On Mar 25, 2016
G
Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by sanandreas(m): 12:48pm On Mar 25, 2016
Jesus died for our sins. He paid the debt we owe.

1 Like

Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by jamoscofield(m): 12:49pm On Mar 25, 2016
just imagine yourself..

After na you go dey cry say God no pick your call..

Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by britneykyute(f): 12:49pm On Mar 25, 2016
....with my Camon c8 *Hot gist*
Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Mar 25, 2016
Gulder
Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Mar 25, 2016
G
Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by jidxin(m): 12:50pm On Mar 25, 2016
it a day when d severed relationship btw God nd man has bin bridged its a day of triumph over death nd hell it's a day our sins were significantly washed away
Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Ooni: 12:52pm On Mar 25, 2016
Op should be in the church now to know the answer
Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Mar 25, 2016
Jesus is the reason for the season.

Check out my signature & thank me later.
Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Mar 25, 2016
undecided I can't grasp the essence of your epistle. You simply swung back and forth like a pendulum.
Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by LadyVerah(f): 12:55pm On Mar 25, 2016
i know say by this time 2000 years ago judas go don receive alert by now... betrayer angry
Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Cholls(m): 12:56pm On Mar 25, 2016
my brother gives workers the opportunity to sleep or rest at home.
Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Xslaze3xd(m): 12:56pm On Mar 25, 2016
If Jesus died today Friday, and he resurrected 3 days later, then the day he resurrected should be monday not Sunday.
Cc: orator2383
clear my doubt

1 Like

Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by ovieigho(m): 12:59pm On Mar 25, 2016
that Friday, he himself took away my iniquity.... thank you Jesus cos it was a wonderful Friday that the devil was deceived to submission, he killed the son of God but when de devil realised his mistake Christ has already taking the key ....and sat on the throne
Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Scatterscatter(m): 12:59pm On Mar 25, 2016
Xslaze3xd:
If Jesus died today Friday, and he resurrected 3 days later, then the day he resurrected should be monday not Sunday.
clear my doubt
3days not 3days and night.
Now do the maths

1 Like

Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Mar 25, 2016
Black man leave Jesus alone. No man called Jesus died for your sin, it is all bullshit. Why must your god be from Nazareth? It is stupid!

2 Likes

Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Nizox(m): 1:02pm On Mar 25, 2016
Op you so correct. Cos no pain, no gain. Christ has died for us to gain eternal salvation.
Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by AlexCk: 1:04pm On Mar 25, 2016
Mostly because he finally defeated death by dying(and of course, resurrecting) and "bought us" uniquely with his death(blood) to God.

Christ dying was an issue to satan oo, his death was gonna "spoil" plans he had, that's why satan (looking at d temptation story n also the time at Gethsemane ) wanted christ to abandon the thought of dying for the human race, trying to convince /confuse Christ that he couldn't bear the weight of dying for the human race.

Thank God, christ kept his trust on God, n God gave him that strength to withstand all those "tortures".

Just like his last words he said on the cross "it is finished".

I just believe what's good abt good friday is, its unique.
grin

1 Like

Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by KanoAbiaBabe(f): 1:05pm On Mar 25, 2016
Xslaze3xd:
clear my doubt
My dear,it was on the third day Christ rose(resurrected) not after 3days. Happy easter

1 Like

Re: What’s So Good About Good Friday? by Xslaze3xd(m): 1:06pm On Mar 25, 2016
Scatterscatter:
3days not 3days and night. Now do the maths
He was crucificed towards the evening.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hell Fire Does Not Exist According To Jehovah's Witnesses. Is That True? / Prophet Walks On Air / The Significance Of Ash Wednesday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.