Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:56 AM

AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm (4781 Views)

Egypt Vs Uruguay World Cup 2018: (0 - 1) - Full Time / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup / Egypt Vs Nigeria AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 0 on 29th March 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by iwaeda: 5:16pm On Mar 25, 2016
Egypt host Nigeria in the all important return leg of AFCON in Cairo on March 29. Nigeria drew 1-1 with Egypt.
Referee : Daniel Frazer Bennett
1 assistant : Zakhele Thusi Siwela
2 assistant : Peter Chauke
Stadium: Borg El Arab, Alexandria Date:
29/03/2016 - 19:00

The AS Roma striker scored in stoppage time
to save Hector Cuper’s side's blushes after
Etebo Oghenekaro’s goal looked like it had
given the Eagles the win
Mohammed Salah scored a late equaliser to
rescue Egypt from defeat as they drew 1-1 in
their third Africa Cup of Nations qualifying
game against Nigeria.
Etebo Oghenekaro slotted past Ahmed El-
Shennawi to give Samson Siasia’s side a
deserved lead against the Pharaohs who were
dogged in defence.
Kelechi Iheanacho hit the crossbar with a
fierce shot and the Warri Wolves midfielder
tuck home the rebound to north Africans’
dismay.
Nigeria thought they had won the game in
the 90th minute when Salah beat the offside
trap to fire past impressive Carl Ikeme to
save Hector Cuper’s side from defeat.
Super Eagles continue to trail Group G
leaders Pharaohs by two points,
while Tanzania are back up to third in the
table, three points adrift Egypt in the race to
Gabon 2017.
Samson Siasia’s men struggled for rhythm in
the early stages of the match as they often
gave the ball away cheaply in the final third
of the pitch, with Simon Moses being
particularly wasteful when in an advanced
position.
Egypt should have taken the lead when
Ahmed Hassan was played behind the Eagles’
defence and put one-on-one with Ikeme but
he couldn’t find the target firing his left-
footed shot wide of the post.
The home side were looking dangerous and
Cuper’s men were grateful to El-Shennawi
who made a great block to deny Ahmed
Musa’s goal-bound effort after the striker
had found space inside the area.
Nigeria finally carved out an opening in the
34th minute when Simon raided down the
right and hit a sublime cross towards the
penalty spot where he found Ighalo who
headed the ball towards goal but El-
Shennawi made an excellent save.
Iheanacho and Mikel were struggling to take
control of the midfield with many misplaced
passes which often put the visitors on the
back. Efe Ambrose nearly made them pay for
one mistake when the hosts hit them on the
counter but his shot from outside the area
hit the bar before going over.
Nigeria came out in the second half with
more impetus and Iheanacho, who was
anonymous for most of the opening period,
came to life and found saw his effort kiss
the cross bar before Oghenekaro tapped
home.
The Eagles were really starting to hit their
stride and should have doubled the lead
through Ighalo but he somehow missed the
target from just five yards after being
expertly found by Musa with a pinpoint
cross.
Despite Nigeria’s dominance in the second-
half, Egypt still looked dangerous on the
break and Elneny almost pulled his side back
after being put behind the Eagles’ defence
but Godfrey Oboabona was equal to his shot
making a good save to turn the ball past the
post.
However Nigeria’s joy of victory was short-
lived when Etebo turned villain as he played
Salah onside in stoppage time and the Roma
winger volleyed into the net from six-yards
to save the Pharaohs from succumbing to
defeat.

Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by iwaeda: 7:29pm On Mar 25, 2016
lalasticlala mynd44 we will win in Egypt
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by freethug: 7:38pm On Mar 25, 2016
Egypt were celebrating, I just dry laugh, we will beat them at home.
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by zuchyblink(m): 8:49pm On Mar 25, 2016
This line up can defeat Egypt in Cairo-

...................................Ikeme..........................................
/
Shehu--------Efe----Oboabona------Amuzie
/
-----------------Onazi---------Mikel--------------
/
-------------------------Etebo----------------------
/
Moses-----------------------------------S. Moses
/
------------------Iheanacho----------------------
/
/
Iheanacho is a sharp shooter while Ighalo is dull and doesn't have the strenght to play African football.
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by iwaeda: 10:48pm On Mar 25, 2016
zuchyblink:

...................................Ikeme..........................................
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
Iheanacho is a sharp shooter while Ighalo is dull and doesn't have the strenght to play African football.

Musa needs to be in the team
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by iwaeda: 9:23am On Mar 26, 2016
@robosky this was created before yours please move to fp in the spirit of fairness
cc seun mukina2
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by iwaeda: 11:11am On Mar 26, 2016
We will win
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:25pm On Mar 26, 2016
A thread was created already?? And I thought Robosky's was the only one.

I've checked the time and this thread was opened first but seriously You guys need to have an accord here.

Well, I'll return to modify and place my thoughts.... if
it's possible.

The Egypt/Nigeria game in Alexandria will produce moments that no soccer enthusiast, analyst or sports writer can script. #SuperEagles #IStillBelieve
.............................**Modified**...................................

Now let's get the ball rolling. I have no particular line-up in mind but a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 (a variant of 4-5-1) should be employed strictly to maximise our attacking potentials in Alexandria while keeping it tight at the back. A 4-4-2 can be switched to during the course of the game ONLY IF the tactical need arises.

ONE THING FOR SURE IS THIS: WE CAN'T AFFORD TO BE ON THE DEFENSIVE IN ALEXANDRIA. WE HAVE TO DOMINATE PROCEEDINGS LIKE WE DID FOR MOST OF THE SECOND HALF WHILE KEEPING OUR DMF(s) REALLY FOCUSED ON HIS DEFENSIVE DUTIES.

I just wanna point out the key ACTS that carry Nigeria's chance of repeating a performance similar to the 5-2 win over Algeria in 2006 WCQ in Oran/Algiers... That was the last time we beat a North african side away from home in a competitive fixture (I hope I'm right).
...................................................................................
This tie in Alexandria is gonna be full of moments which no sports enthusiast/analyst can really script....... "Just watch out".

The Egyptians have asked for full-blown war and they're gonna have it. El-Shennawy's "slicing a ram's throat with knife" gesture is one that may come back to haunt him. That was downright derogatory.

What I foresee in this second leg is subject to the main actors involved on both sides from Siasia, Cuper then to the players.
I have some "crazy analysis" in mind but I'll keep it sealed. Let tuesday play out....... #TimeWillRevealAll

#SuperEagles #IStillBelieve

.....................................................................................
Below are Nigeria's Super Eagles's Key Players ahead of the Alexandria tie based on the squad in camp

NOTE: Leon Balogun is not going to be available. He confirmed that himself via twitter yesterday. So our best defensive options for this encounter in central defence are still Ambrose Efe and Godfrey Oboabona.

Carl Ikeme: Do I have to say anything about this guy? On-form and has Class. I think that'll do smiley
[img]http://1.bp..com/-8LM2Dm2XvyI/VflPE286r3I/AAAAAAAAJ8s/11f_bRf9m90/s400/Carl-Ikeme.jpg[/img]

John Mikel Obi: He knows what he must do.......

Ogenyi Onazi: Mikel's True partner returns.

Godfrey Oboabona: I sincerely believe his going down on the stuff and getting up to continue play late in the game, when it was clear he wasn't okay, caused us. Had he been "tip-top" at such a crucial time, Salah would have been spotted. Though the Egyptians ignored fair play, by not returning the ball to us after we put it out for a player that went down, but we could have stood alert. If only Oboabona was okay towards the final minutes. We need him in excellent shape for the alexandria game.
His likely partner is still gonna be Ambrose Efe.
[img]http://metrouk2.files./2013/04/1608160131.jpg[/img]

Elderson Echiejile or Stanley Amuzie: I prefer Echiejile for the Alexandria game because his experience will count having faced high profile hostile home crowds before. Amuzie to play back-up. Besides, herein lies a "little" conundrum... Who, between the two, will be tasked with facing and limiting Salah's influence? If you ask me, I'll take Echiejile. Arrrggghhh.... I really miss Kingsley Madu.

[img]http://4.bp..com/-Sj8ro2dhi2Y/UtkOIjqHuDI/AAAAAAAA2bM/8dTZCALbwtM/s1600/Elderson+Echiejile+Mali+v+Nigeria+2013+Africa+4nG83eq642Dl.jpg[/img]

Ahmed Musa: On his day, he could be a real menace. Ask Messi and Argentina......

Kelechi Iheanacho: Whether it's from the start or from the bench, this Class-act Goal-monger must play. His shooting and eye for goals are unrivalled in this Eagles team.

Simon Moses Daddy-Ajala: The Nigerian C.Ronaldo. Okay, yes... He's still growing but his undouted potentials and skills can decide this encounter in alexandria. Can he lead Nigeria through the red sea? Well, he's joined by another "Moses"

Victor Moses: The second of the Moses in the team. Since we got two moses, then the land of Egypt may yet feel another plague (like the 11th plague? Hahaha). Time will tell... Another player that can influence a game's outcome.

Odion Jude Ighalo: He wasn't inventive enough in the kaduna game but his class can't be denied. He's still our first choice No.9 and main target man. The alexandria game will be the biggest game of his international career so far. It will be his 9th cap. So far, he's on 2 goals in 8 senior games. Or will it be Fanendo Adi?

Alexander Chuka Iwobi (Alex Iwobi): He's likely to play a key role either from the start or from the bench. A real class act.

Below are the others that could have a role to play in this encounter alongside the Main Keymen above-- all the keymen cited above are likely starters and a few likely to come in from the bench

-Shehu Abdullahi: He'll likely keep his place at right back.

-Ambrose Efe: In the absence of high-quality Centre-backs in camp (Kalu Orji is the only other central defence option in camp), Ambrose will definitely partner Oboabona. He has to step up his game. He should draw on his experience as an AFCON champion.

-Oghenekaro Etebo: With Onazi returning, he'll likely drop to the bench. But he may still play a key part in a 4-3-3 with Mikel and Onazi behind him..... On the whole, we'll see how it goes.....

-Aminu Umar/Fanendo Adi: both or one of them may have a role to play. Tuesday will tell...

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt4mairskjnmc.1417b39e.jpg[/img]
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by Samunique(m): 1:05pm On Mar 26, 2016
He who laughs last laughs best !!!
Quote me after the match on Tuesday !!!
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by Samunique(m): 1:09pm On Mar 26, 2016
freethug:
Egypt were celebrating, I just dry laugh, we will beat them at home.
Sure !!!

We'll laugh last !!!

Our four points from these two matches are still intact !

Quote me after the match on Tuesday!!!
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by jotey(m): 1:14pm On Mar 26, 2016
click like if you believe we gonna tear egypt
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by Caspian22(m): 1:43pm On Mar 26, 2016
zuchyblink:

/
/
/
/
/
/
/

This guy sense na follow come... Confam lineup joor
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by iwaeda: 3:43pm On Mar 26, 2016
You will see red like your cloth in Alexandra

Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by naso2(m): 5:58pm On Mar 26, 2016
zuchyblink:

/
/
/
/
/
/
/

Good line up , but I wont risk having an Amuzie who forgets himself play in a tensed/hostile Alexandria.

The few touches of iwobi makes me feel he needs a starting place in the second leg.

I believe if we start victor moses, the Egyptians will have enough on their hands to allow Ighalo the kind of room he needs. Iheanacho's shot may have led to the goal but I think his first half was unimpressive besides bringing him in as a sub would destabilize the opponents more.

I believe the Egyptians may workout an effective strategy to cancel out moses simon in the second leg so I will play this staring line up instead

/
Shehu--------Efe----Oboabona------Echiejile
/
/
/
Moses----------------------------Iwobi-----------------
/
------------------Ighalo----------------------

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by Nobody: 10:09pm On Mar 26, 2016
Echiejile should start at left back.
Onazi and Mikel should be in DMF and CMF.

Iwobi or Iheanacho Should play as AMF.

Musa should sit on the bench.. We need both Moses to start the game because they are both tricksters and speedsters, stopping them will be difficult for the Egyptians.

Ighalo should lead the attack. We haven't played Ighalo to his strength. Who partners him up front??..

I am optimistic that the Egyptians are beatable on their own turf..

Our qualification ticket in our hands.
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by Nobody: 11:19pm On Mar 26, 2016
naso2:

Good line up , but I wont risk having an Amuzie who forgets himself play in a tensed/hostile Alexandria.

The few touches of iwobi makes me feel he needs a starting place in the second leg.

I believe if we start victor moses, the Egyptians will have enough on their hands to allow Ighalo the kind of room he needs. Iheanacho's shot may have led to the goal but I think his first half was unimpressive besides bringing him in as a sub would destabilize the opponents more.

I believe the Egyptians may workout an effective strategy to cancel out moses simon in the second leg so I will play this staring line up instead

/
Shehu--------Efe----Oboabona------Echiejile
/
/
/
Moses----------------------------Iwobi-----------------
/
------------------Ighalo----------------------

This your line up looks brilliant ..I hope we can a formation like this on Tuesday.

I will prefer Musa comes in for Moses in the second half while Kelechi sub Iwobi as well
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by iwaeda: 5:55pm On Mar 27, 2016
Carl Ikeme will be fit for the game
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by Mediapace: 7:36pm On Mar 27, 2016
Do you think that is true?
He isn't fit.
We are out of Afcon i think
iwaeda:
Carl Ikeme will be fit for the game
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by Arsenate(m): 7:58pm On Mar 27, 2016
Wow, so pleased that Daniel Fraser Bennett will be the referee. Arguably the best ref in Africa.
Good officiating √
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by iwaeda: 8:08pm On Mar 27, 2016
Mediapace:
Do you think that is true?
He isn't fit.
We are out of Afcon i think

I pray so oh,with Chad pulling out now,if we dont beat Egypt we are out
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by Emmysteve9(m): 8:19pm On Mar 27, 2016
iwaeda:

I pray so oh,with Chad pulling out now,if we dont beat Egypt we are out
Not true. If we fail to beat Egypt, then we need Tanzania to defeat them at home for us to qualify.
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by iwaeda: 8:34pm On Mar 27, 2016
Emmysteve9:
Not true. If we fail to beat Egypt, then we need Tanzania to defeat them at home for us to qualify.

I dont see Egypt loosing to Tanzania,Beating Egypt is the only guaranty
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by Emmysteve9(m): 9:22pm On Mar 27, 2016
iwaeda:

I dont see Egypt loosing to Tanzania,Beating Egypt is the only guaranty
there you have it
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by iwaeda: 7:31am On Mar 28, 2016
God will see us through
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by iwaeda: 8:54am On Mar 28, 2016
God please help us part th red Egyptians tomorrow,like you did the red sea
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by iwaeda: 9:35am On Mar 28, 2016
@robosky why are you desperate
changing my comment to yours
cc lalasticlala
seun
muikna2
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by iwaeda: 10:05am On Mar 28, 2016
I made a comment on Supernerd on my thread,next thing saw it on robosky thread. Why do we love cheating everywhere. Last time I opened thread earlier for first leg and robosky cheated again. Nigerians why?
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by oloriooko(m): 12:16pm On Mar 28, 2016
We must lose this game and fail to qualify cuz NFF wrongfully sacked Keshi, knowingly employed a failure in Oliseh and foolishly pushed Sia1 into their pool of shame to cover their selfishness and greed.

We need some space to put our house in order enough of trial-by-error angry
Re: AFCON 2nd Leg Egypt Vs Nigeria Alexandra Mar 29 7pm by iwaeda: 3:02pm On Mar 28, 2016
Seun we blame our leaders for flaunting rules;we may not be different.
It is your intellectual property,but it will be good we follow lay down principles
cc robosky lalasticlala mynd44 mukina2
Nigeria will be great,but fairness is the building block

(1) (Reply)

Germany 2006 Man-of-the-match Awards / Super Falconets Midfielder ASISAT OSHOALA (pictures) / Get On The Train To Wealth. Discipline Selections And Assured Winnings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.