Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,357 members, 7,800,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:00 AM

Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. - Computers (934) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (1259895 Views)

22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (931) (932) (933) (934) (935) (936) (937) ... (1222) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by AmazingAngel(f): 11:45pm On Aug 07, 2018
Mosesoly:

Take it to an engr, most likely the cmos battery is bad

Thank you
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by AmazingAngel(f): 11:46pm On Aug 07, 2018
horllamy:

I will advice you to take it to nearest engineer or if you’re in Lagos: 08139462401

Thanks, am not in Lagos
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by airsaylongcon: 1:36am On Aug 08, 2018
morzook:
who can help me with the files to update to Mac OS Sierra? Downloading from app store has been frustrating

It's a huge file o. Sure u want to download it. Or you'd rather buy an already downloaded file burnt on DVD
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by morzook(m): 11:37am On Aug 08, 2018
airsaylongcon:

It's a huge file o. Sure u want to download it. Or you'd rather buy an already downloaded file burnt on DVD

the issue is that i have downloaded from the appstore twice but it brings an error message during installation, that's why i need an alternative means. The DVD would be good tho.

you know where i can get one?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Achor1111(m): 5:05pm On Aug 08, 2018
Pls help, how can l delete junk files on my PC, it is slowing down like snails.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Razak5(m): 11:04pm On Aug 08, 2018
Achor1111:
Pls help, how can l delete junk files on my PC, it is slowing down like snails.

Hi.

First of all this is gonna be long. grin Just kidding;it'll be interesting.

Ok! Enough of that.

There are pretty much a few places you can look at when you're talking of speeding up your laptop. They are;

1.The Hard Disk: So everything happens on the hard disk- the files you open, the games you play,the copying and pasting, the programs you run even your very windows is on the hard disk.

So each time you do any of these, fragments are left on different locations on the hard drive (fragmentation) making the programs and files slower to access.
For a faster access, you need to defragment your hard drive.

Defragmentation is a process where you pull up those files together in a sing spot making hem faster to access

If you're on win 7
Right Click on the ":C" drive > Properties > click on tools > "Defragment now" > The disk defragmenter window opens > Click on "analyse disk" button then > this generates how fragmented the disk is in percentages > Click the defragment button.

Free up some space too
Now those activities I earlier mentioned can also cause the space on your hard drive to deplete. Oh yes!! All those movies you refuse to delete grin you see your life now?- in lasisis voice- grin Oya its time to let go some of it...yeah sorry ...to free up some space.

If you have Progams you no longer need, please delete them...you're not a warehouse

2. RAM
Increasing the RAM is also another option. usually increasing RAM size increases the chunk of data that the it can hold per time. Check with a technician to see if your system can accomodate another RAM.

4. Efizzy
All those visual effects, the slides and drops , name it. they tell both on the system memory and processor. Turning off visual effects can surprisingly boost the speed with which you navigate your windows- win 10 users are you here?? grin

5. Startup
here are some programs that are designed to run once your computer starts up. This can actually suck some speed from your PC. Well, you can disable these programs from running during start up by;

Typing 'msconfig' in the start box > the system configuration window opens> click the 'startup' tab > uncheck the programs that you know. once done they will no longer start once you boot up the laptop.

Hope this helps

**cheers**
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 09, 2018
guys. my hp battery is saying "O%, plugged in, not charging".

I've uninstalled battery drivers, switched it off, removed the battery, put it back in etc, nothing's changed.

any solution to make it charge?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by polimaf(m): 2:55pm On Aug 09, 2018
mrvocalprowess:
guys. my hp battery is saying "O%, plugged in, not charging".

I've uninstalled battery drivers, switched it off, removed the battery, put it back in etc, nothing's changed.

any solution to make it charge?
Have you tried using another charger?

Have you tried using another battery?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Quintuple: 5:51pm On Aug 09, 2018
Pls help me deal with this stubborn virus called "secured by kaspersky internet security 20101"
It created folder and hid all my files.
I have kaspersky antivirus in my system but the above quote kept on appearing in whatever external drive i attach to my system
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 7:12pm On Aug 09, 2018
polimaf:
Have you tried using another charger?
Have you tried using another battery?
yes. my 2nd battery works and charges perfectly.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Razak5(m): 9:52pm On Aug 09, 2018
Quintuple:
Pls help me deal with this stubborn virus called "secured by kaspersky internet security 20101"
It created folder and hid all my files.
I have kaspersky antivirus in my system but the above quote kept on appearing in whatever external drive i attach to my system

Hello.

Ha!! That's a TROJAN
Last year, I had a virus of a similar name. Ok, almost same except mine ended with "2017" instead of "20101".
You know the painful part? when you google the statement, genuine kaspersky adverts and websites get shown. looks like its creators really knew their game!!

Now you're going to follow the below instructions detail by detail...... I cant guarantee you'll get your files back
The following guide was copied verbatim from https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/070ad99d-319c-46a7-acf7-58a3ffbbb0d7/thumb-drive-cannot-show-content?forum=win10itprogeneral

TROJAN: <name>#GB(Secured by Kaspersky Internet Security 2017).bat
=====

How to test if your PC is infected?
=====

a.Get an empty thumb drive or flash drive
b.Format it.
c.There shouldn't be any files in the thumbdrive after you've formatted it.
d.If you find 2 files:
<name>#GB(Secured by Kaspersky Internet Security 2017).bat and Readme. You're infected...!

How to clean? (You must be connected to the internet until step 4).
=====

1. Install CCleaner: Get it here --> https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
1.1 Run the Cleaner menu to clean your PC from internet cache, temp files etc.
1.2 Run the Registry menu to clean your registry. No need to backup registry.
1.3 Run the Tools>>Startup. If you see this: *\AppData\Roaming\Kaspersky Internet Security 2017. You're infected.

2. Install Norton Power Eraser: Get it here--> https://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx
2.1 Run it. It'll run rootkit scan and ask to restart.
NPE will find 3 entries of virus or more. Choose Create restore point if you can. (sometimes you can't). Delete the virus.
PC will restart.
2.2 After restarting, NPE will run again.
Most of the time NPE will detect another 1 or 2 *.exe infected files.
Send it to cloud (there's these cute cloud icons grin).
NPE will suggest you delete those files. Delete them.
If somehow NPE doesn't run after restarting the PC, run NPE and scan again

3. Install adwcleaner. Get it here--> https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
3.1 Click Run Scan for Adware/PUPs.
You'll see these: PUP.Optional.Legacy, [Key] -HKU or HKCU or HKLM.
Reboot to clean.
Do it.
You'll see Deleted: [Key] - HKU or HKCU or HKLM.

YOUR PC IS CLEAN!!!

Just to be sure.
Run CCleaner
Run the Tools>>Startup.
If you see one string of *\AppData\Roaming\Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 just delete it.

Mission accomplished.

STILL CANNOT FIND THE FILES IN YOUR THUMBDRIVE?
=====

1.Open My Computer.
Go here or type system volume information.
<Thumbdrive letter>:\System Volume Information

All your hidden files are here.

2. Copy files you wanted to save onto your desktop. Copy don't CUT.
3. Paste in new folder on desktop.
4. Format your thumbdrive.
5. Copy back to your thumbdrive.

One more thing.
=====

Install SMADAV. Get it here--> http://www.smadav.net/?page=download
Smadav cleans and finds your hidden files.

Done.
=====

All files are free.

**Cheers**
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by polimaf(m): 10:01pm On Aug 09, 2018
mrvocalprowess:

yes. my 2nd battery works and charges perfectly.
okay good
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by udemzyudex(m): 1:13am On Aug 10, 2018
polimaf:
okay good

Funny grin

Your second battery is working fine and you're still seeking for solution to make the first one charge. grin
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 2:34am On Aug 10, 2018
polimaf:
okay good
thanks. how do i get the battery that's refusing to charge, to charge?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 2:36am On Aug 10, 2018
udemzyudex:

Funny grin

Your second battery is working fine and you're still seeking for solution to make the first one charge. grin

ehn now. should I just leave the first battery like that? I want to know if there's a solution to make it charge.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 3:15am On Aug 10, 2018
this is what my windows 10 pad is saying...

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by polimaf(m): 11:22am On Aug 10, 2018
udemzyudex:

Funny grin

I tire too
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by polimaf(m): 11:23am On Aug 10, 2018
mrvocalprowess:

thanks. how do i get the battery that's refusing to charge, to charge?
Well, you have to change the cells, it's possible the cells are dead...
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by udemzyudex(m): 3:33pm On Aug 10, 2018
mrvocalprowess:

ehn now. should I just leave the first battery like that? I want to know if there's a solution to make it charge.

You have two batteries and one laptop, the first is not working and the second is working fine on the same laptop, oga you should know that your battery is not good naa. angry
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by kinggSamuel(m): 4:56pm On Aug 10, 2018
Hello nlandees how u a dey? Their is this issue that am worried about. I do architectural renderings and I don't know which to choose between a UK used dell latitude 2010 version with 1st generation core i5 and Intel graphics and a dell inspiron brand new thats 2018 version with 7th generation core i3.and 8gb ram. The brand new dell is more than twice the price of the fairly use d one. Am in a fix.and am on a tight budget.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by polimaf(m): 5:07pm On Aug 10, 2018
kinggSamuel:
Hello nlandees how u a dey? Their is this issue that am worried about. I do architectural renderings and I don't know which to choose between a UK used dell latitude 2010 version with 1st generation core i5 and Intel graphics and a dell inspiron brand new thats 2018 version with 7th generation core i3.and 8gb ram. The brand new dell is more than twice the price of the fairly use d one. Am in a fix.and am on a tight budget.
Hmm... Both are excellent laptops, forget the year the Dell Inspiron was made. I know a lot of people might disagree with me, but I've used several UK used laptop and they gave me excellent performance for the job at hand. If the 2010 Inspiron will render same service as the brand new, just get it. If budget isn't an issue, I would say you go for the brand new one.

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by udemzyudex(m): 7:57pm On Aug 10, 2018
kinggSamuel:

The difference between a brand new system and a used one is warranty (my own opinion)

In Nigeria most new system don't even have warranty because the importers don't import base on region, that's why sometimes if you take your laptop to service center they will tell you its not from this region.

You can go for a used 4th generation laptop with same configuration it will still do your job perfectly since the 7th gen laptop is above your budget.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Razak5(m): 8:13pm On Aug 10, 2018
kinggSamuel:

Hi, there

Nice one @polimaf

When it comes to getting a laptop, 2 factors come into play: purpose and budget

You have to match the two together! without sacrificing purpose...

Thus in his case, budget being a constraint could make him opt for a lower spec PC.

But lets note the following: For ARCHITECTURAL RENDERINGS, a combination of the minimum spec below should be considered be it brand new or UK Used

1. 2nd, 3rd or 4th Gen Core i5 and a minimum of 1GB or 2GB Graphics, 4GB RAM (not rendering) but 8GB RAM(Adobe After Effects and rendering)

2. 5th, 6th Gen Core i5 and a min 4GB RAM, 1GB dedicated Graphics or 2GB dedicated (if you have the money).

3. 6th or 7th Gen Core i5 and a min 8GB RAM, 2GB dedicated graphics.

Well, there are higher combinations. but if budget is a constraint, you'll want to stick with option 1 or 2. For options 1 and 2, systems look slightly bulkier and some are less easy to move around unlike their slim counterpart.

Laptops that carry option 3 are usually slimmer and sleek. i.e they're beautiful!! and yet pack such huge spec. some carry as high as 4gb dedicated graphics!!- of course, depending on your financial standing, they are expensive.

in closing
A UK Used 6th Gen core i5, 8GB RAM, 2GB NVIDIA Acer aspire e575g series costs about 145k
and
A brand new Core i3 with the spec you gave costs a "few" grin thousands more.

If architectural rendering is the deal, then I'll opt for the acer and any other system that has similar spec.

*Cheers*

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Razak5(m): 8:48pm On Aug 10, 2018
mrvocalprowess:
this is what my windows 10 pad is saying...

Hi.

That TAB is just messng with ya grin

Emmm..we'll need an external keyboard

now,

CHANGE THE BOOT DEVICE...by pressing the F9 > then select the "main storage". You should be able to boot freely

*Cheers*
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Achor1111(m): 10:04pm On Aug 10, 2018
Razak5:

Hi.

First of all this is gonna be long. grin Just kidding;it'll be interesting.

Ok! Enough of that.

There are pretty much a few places you can look at when you're talking of speeding up your laptop. They are;

1.The Hard Disk: So everything happens on the hard disk- the files you open, the games you play,the copying and pasting, the programs you run even your very windows is on the hard disk.

So each time you do any of these, fragments are left on different locations on the hard drive (fragmentation) making the programs and files slower to access.
For a faster access, you need to defragment your hard drive.

Defragmentation is a process where you pull up those files together in a sing spot making hem faster to access

If you're on win 7
Right Click on the ":C" drive > Properties > click on tools > "Defragment now" > The disk defragmenter window opens > Click on "analyse disk" button then > this generates how fragmented the disk is in percentages > Click the defragment button.

Free up some space too
Now those activities I earlier mentioned can also cause the space on your hard drive to deplete. Oh yes!! All those movies you refuse to delete grin you see your life now?- in lasisis voice- grin Oya its time to let go some of it...yeah sorry ...to free up some space.

If you have Progams you no longer need, please delete them...you're not a warehouse

2. RAM
Increasing the RAM is also another option. usually increasing RAM size increases the chunk of data that the it can hold per time. Check with a technician to see if your system can accomodate another RAM.

4. Efizzy
All those visual effects, the slides and drops , name it. they tell both on the system memory and processor. Turning off visual effects can surprisingly boost the speed with which you navigate your windows- win 10 users are you here?? grin

5. Startup
here are some programs that are designed to run once your computer starts up. This can actually suck some speed from your PC. Well, you can disable these programs from running during start up by;

Typing 'msconfig' in the start box > the system configuration window opens> click the 'startup' tab > uncheck the programs that you know. once done they will no longer start once you boot up the laptop.

Hope this helps

**cheers**

thanks a million times
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Razak5(m): 2:37am On Aug 11, 2018
Kings1930:
Thanks i will do jus that

...and you'll get back to tell if it worked or not?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by IRODANOSA(m): 3:38am On Aug 11, 2018
Good day sir, my internet download manager keeps on naming the videos that I download from Youtube as "videoplayback", instead of the original title. Please, how can I fix this?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 4:12am On Aug 11, 2018
Razak5:

Hi.

That TAB is just messng with ya grin

Emmm..we'll need an external keyboard

now,

CHANGE THE BOOT DEVICE...by pressing the F9 > then select the "main storage". You should be able to boot freely

*Cheers*

The external keypad isn't working with the screen like that. any other way to change the boot device?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by overdrive(m): 6:31am On Aug 11, 2018
udemzyudex:

You're welcome.

I have good engineers in minna, Abuja, onitsha, Enugu, PH etc.

And they are good.

Can i have ur enugu contact pls
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Razak5(m): 8:41am On Aug 11, 2018
mrvocalprowess:

The external keypad isn't working with the screen like that. any other way to change the boot device?

Does the tab have a USB port?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Razak5(m): 8:42am On Aug 11, 2018
mrvocalprowess:

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 11:02am On Aug 11, 2018
Razak5:

yes. it does.

(1) (2) (3) ... (931) (932) (933) (934) (935) (936) (937) ... (1222) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.