Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,968 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:22 AM

Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming (13531 Views)

How Kebbi Revolutionised Rice Farming In Nigeria / Bill Gates Funds Nigerian Rice Production / Bill Gates Ear-marks $6m For Cassava And Rice In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by illmatic101(m): 7:11pm On Mar 28, 2016
RPDA:
Looking at it on a serious note, these guys are pained. See how they stylishly were advertising their economy..

MASIPAG(Philippines) don't worry, after we are done using the $6m judiciously yielding profits and boosting our economy with our ever fertile land and experienced farmers with both parties smiling to the bank, then BMGF can look into your matter.

No pour sand sand inside our garri abeg.

We can learn from the mistakes of others, the disaster that will befall this country no be here, we most oppose Bill's GMO at all cost
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by illmatic101(m): 7:21pm On Mar 28, 2016
FarmTech can you move this to front page, no be only earthworm, snakes, Tonto... (what's that her last name again) deserves front page
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by FarmTech(m): 8:04pm On Mar 28, 2016
illmatic101:
FarmTech can you move this to front page, no be only earthworm, snakes, Tonto... (what's that her last name again) deserves front page
Only the super mods can do that. I can only recommend this link.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by illmatic101(m): 8:06pm On Mar 28, 2016
FarmTech:

Only the super mods can do that. I can only recommend this link.

Okay please do that
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by elrony(m): 5:16pm On Mar 29, 2016
Kindly following tho.... #AntiGMO cool
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 9:16am On Mar 30, 2016
If what you're saying is true,then we must strongly reject this offer,please mods Lalastica do the needful.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by illmatic101(m): 10:18am On Mar 30, 2016
wahabian:
If what you're saying is true,then we must strongly reject this offer,please mods Lalastica do the needful.

Lalastica prefer threads with snakes, earthworms, Tonto nudes pics, this one isn't making front page.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 10:32am On Mar 30, 2016
illmatic101:

Lalastica prefer threads with snakes, earthworms, Tonto nudes pics, this one isn't making front page.

Nairaland is read everyday by the country's leaders.It is important to give this thread the necessary exposure,for the sake of our country.
Lalastica
seun
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 4:05pm On Mar 30, 2016
Genetics Engineering is so interesting and a blessing to man in my own opinion; however, I think Genetic Modification which is a by-product of Genetic Engineering in relation to Agriculture needs sincerity from the part of the producers and consumers. Monsanto isn't as evil as people portray it in my own opinion.

By the way, would you make profit if you harvest and replant again F1 hybrid seeds (scenario: you planted hybrid seeds, harvested fruits then you removed seeds from the fruits and planted them again) which have been accepted? I am aware that farmers can harvest only open pollinated seeds from their farms and plant them again. So, are the producers of hybrid seeds evil because farmers keep going to them to buy seeds? The fact is you keep returning to producers of hybrid seeds too just like the GM producers. Go ask Technisem/Premier Seed/Monsanto which set of seeds they promote more. Of course hybrid! And you can't harvest those seeds and plant them again. There are million reasons manufacturers tell you to buy hybrid and not open pollinated seeds. Manufacturers always tell farmers that hybrid seeds are cross-pollinated to give farmers better harvest. How? Can resist/tolerate diseases, give more yield, earlier harvest etc. Yet hybrid seeds are becoming super, hyper and crazily expensive daily.

The issue of GM products is so crazily argued. Yes, I agree with you that some of their products back-fired BUT it doesn't mean the producers are 100 percent evil.

I won't want to use food as an example of the benefits of GMO but I will use the same cassava used in the headline of this thread. Starch, one of the by-products of cassava is a raw material for many industries. Mind you it's not all types of starch human eat. So, if a cassava variety is modified to produce better quality starch, is it an evil project?

I want you to kindly give references or links (scientific ones and not just rants from agrieved, overwhelmed competitors) that cross pollination of GM plants affect neighboring plants badly? I am just interested to read such scientific papers as they can broaden my knowledge on the subject.

NOTE: Neither am I a supporter nor opposer of GM products. I am just an individual who is open to new technology and I scrutinize very well. Also, I believe so much in research and I don't just take rants from losing competitors/politicians who are already losers.

CLUE: Perhaps hybrid seeds producers who kicked the butt of open pollinated seeds find GM seeds producers too tough for them to handle; hence, they come out fully using politics and past errors of GM producers as their weapons.

QUESTION: If the developed countries want to wipe off Africa, why would they have GM foods in their grocery stores? #JustAsking

LASTLY, I am not saying GM food is the best. Nope! I am just saying we should take caution and not act stupidly like our great-grand-parents who didn't have access to information and just went by promoting propaganda from losers. Good research is a prerequisite to good criticism.

FarmTech:

The only set of people that will support bill gate are those who know nothing about GMO. In simple terms, if u buy their seed and plant. Then u harvest many seeds, sell some and plant some. Those ones u plant will not produce well and u'll suffer loss. To make profit, u must go back to bill gate to buy his seed. That way they'll end up controlling farmers. If they set high price u won't beat them.
The most dangerous is that their seed can pollinate other different seeds close by and affect their yield and other characteristics.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:44pm On Mar 30, 2016
Nice thread.
Gmo seeds/seedlings would have been a good initiative widely accepted by farmers all over in that yield are increased and biofortified with nutrients. The issue of buying only Gmo seeds from a company year in year out is absolutely not good.
Monsanto have wrecked many farmers in US, Netherlands etc who interplant the Gmo with local varieties.
Some farmers have even being sued for reusing the harvest seeds from the Gmo and for buying seeds from other seed companies
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Newway2(m): 8:11pm On Mar 30, 2016
Nice write up from a clear mind. Yes GMO has its merits. But, d issue of d "self-destruction" code/strain embeded into it is that gvs farmers great concern.

Are u aware that if u plant some GMO seeds in a particular plot, u may not be able to plant any other variety /specie of d same plant on that plot?

Are u aware that unlike harvest from hybrid seed that will still grow/germinate if planted, if u re-plant d harvest of GMO, it will not even germinate? Why shld that be so?

Are u also aware that everything u need to make d GMO come out great is tied to d same supplier of d GMO seeds? Why shld that be so?

Are u aware that some GMO seed supplier sued some farmers for using other seeds on their farm? Why shld this be so?

Hybrid seeds are good because it increases ur harvest & u may decide to use/plant another speciewithout u being tied to d same company, but GMO Doe not offfer ds freedom.

So my brother, in the long run, GMO is BAD

QED

GodIsGood08:
Genetics Engineering is so interesting and a blessing to man in my own opinion; however, I think Genetic Modification which is a by-product of Genetic Engineering in relation to Agriculture needs sincerity from the part of the producers and consumers. Monsanto isn't as evil as people portray it in my own opinion.

By the way, would you make profit if you harvest and replant again F1 hybrid seeds (scenario: you planted hybrid seeds, harvested fruits then you removed seeds from the fruits and planted them again) which have been accepted? I am aware that farmers can harvest only open pollinated seeds from their farms and plant them again. So, are the producers of hybrid seeds evil because farmers keep going to them to buy seeds? The fact is you keep returning to producers of hybrid seeds too just like the GM producers. Go ask Technisem/Premier Seed/Monsanto which set of seeds they promote more. Of course hybrid! And you can't harvest those seeds and plant them again. There are million reasons manufacturers tell you to buy hybrid and not open pollinated seeds. Manufacturers always tell farmers that hybrid seeds are cross-pollinated to give farmers better harvest. How? Can resist/tolerate diseases, give more yield, earlier harvest etc. Yet hybrid seeds are becoming super, hyper and crazily expensive daily.

The issue of GM products is so crazily argued. Yes, I agree with you that some of their products back-fired BUT it doesn't mean the producers are 100 percent evil.

I won't want to use food as an example of the benefits of GMO but I will use the same cassava used in the headline of this thread. Starch, one of the by-products of cassava is a raw material for many industries. Mind you it's not all types of starch human eat. So, if a cassava variety is modified to produce better quality starch, is it an evil project?

I want you to kindly give references or links (scientific ones and not just rants from agrieved, overwhelmed competitors) that cross pollination of GM plants affect neighboring plants badly? I am just interested to read such scientific papers as they can broaden my knowledge on the subject.

NOTE: Neither am I a supporter nor opposer of GM products. I am just an individual who is open to new technology and I scrutinize very well. Also, I believe so much in research and I don't just take rants from losing competitors/politicians who are already losers.

CLUE: Perhaps hybrid seeds producers who kicked the butt of open pollinated seeds find GM seeds producers too tough for them to handle; hence, they come out fully using politics and past errors of GM producers as their weapons.

QUESTION: If the developed countries want to wipe off Africa, why would they have GM foods in their grocery stores? #JustAsking

LASTLY, I am not saying GM food is the best. Nope! I am just saying we should take caution and not act stupidly like our great-grand-parents who didn't have access to information and just went by promoting propaganda from losers. Good research is a prerequisite to good criticism.

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 10:09pm On Mar 30, 2016
Newway2:
Nice write up from a clear mind. Yes GMO has its merits. But, d issue of d "self-destruction" code/strain embeded into it is that gvs farmers great concern.

Are u aware that if u plant some GMO seeds in a particular plot, u may not be able to plant any other variety /specie of d same plant on that plot?

Are u aware that unlike harvest from hybrid seed that will still grow/germinate if planted, if u re-plant d harvest of GMO, it will not even germinate? Why shld that be so?

Are u also aware that everything u need to make d GMO come out great is tied to d same supplier of d GMO seeds? Why shld that be so?

Are u aware that some GMO seed supplier sued some farmers for using other seeds on their farm? Why shld this be so?

Hybrid seeds are good because it increases ur harvest & u may decide to use/plant another speciewithout u being tied to d same company, but GMO Doe not offfer ds freedom.

So my brother, in the long run, GMO is BAD

QED

Sir, you wrote about "self-destruction code/strain embeded into GMO". How? Please, I need a reference to the claim. I want you to know every innovation comes with a price. Mistakes, corrections, mistakes again, correction again until almost perfection is achieved. Perfection isn't possible because GOD is the only perfect one, "the unmoved mover."

Monsanto has been sued since a time I can't even remember. I will give you two references:

1. Chemical Pollution: I love this case because Monsanto submitted to financial responsibilty and clear up of the mess. But let's check it out, that oil companies pollute Ogoni/Ijaw rivers doesn't make them evil. Or, does it?

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1043382/000095015208001695/l30448ae8vk.htm

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/03/25/3635657/shocker-monsanto-in-trouble-again/

2. Syngenta sued Monsanto for monopoly but the case was settled between both companies. My take was Syngenta, a competitor agreed to not continue after back door discussion. Don't disturb my business so that I don't disturb you. LOL. It happens everywhere after all Business is Business. So friends, that Monsanto is monopolizing market is not evil, competitors should find means to also proof their points logically or through court instead of just shouting for nothing.

http://www.patentdocs.org/2008/05/monsanto-and-sy.html

Monsanto was plaintiff in many cases, one that interests me was the one United States Department of Agriculture was indirectly involved. Monsanto Co. Versus Geertson Seed.Farms

Pdf file of Supreme Court decision:
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/09-475.pdf

In the case, Monsanto lost in lower courts but won the case at the supreme level. Many issues were involved in the case.

Ok, I have given you links to cases so I kindly beg you folks to give me links to the so called cases of polluted cross pollination and other issues raised against Monsanto. If you want links to arguement and decisions of lower courts, I can check my archive and post.

I will give you a case in which cross pollination was one of the issues but not the way you guys have argued your cases so far.

Cross Pollination: Monsanto and KWS SAAT AG in 2005 developed a glyphosate-resistant sugar beet and USDA-APHIS deregulated it citing cross pollination among other issues. Let's be fair enough, most farmers in Nigeria use glyphosate (Round Up, ForceUp etc) to kill weed. So, is it bad to develop sugar beet that herbicides won't kill when they are applied? Tell me, if a cucumber variety is developed and you can use herbicide on the farm, won't farmers be happy. Ok, I know the debate Organic Vs Inorganic is gonna come up. LOL! But my point here is that glyphosate which has been accepted if used in vegetable farms is a big relief to farmers. Please, organic vs inorganic is not the subject here, so let's move on.

I will write about some good innovation and discoveries of Mansonto later. For now, guys come up with references to your claim that Monsanto is 100% evil.

Again, what's the benefit of planting harvested seeds from F1 hybrid plants that produce deformed fruits? Brother, it's better for the seeds not to germinate at all than for them to germinate, then I apply fertilizer, clear weed, and harvest deformed fruits that cannot be sold. Which is more disastrous?

So, I see too many agrieved competitors making too much noise. Who says GM seeds cannot be produced by other companies? If we get five companies that decide to take up the challenge, will Monsanto continue to be the sole producer? Patent is another topic on its own. LOL!

3 Likes

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Btruth: 5:52am On Mar 31, 2016
Can somebody summarised the whole thing for me. Me, I too tired to read this long epistle oooo. smiley
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 11:14am On Apr 02, 2016
Say no to Genetic Modified foods. Bill gate and Monsanto are evil. Many countries in the world are rejecting them or banned them.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by illmatic101(m): 8:54pm On Apr 02, 2016
wahabian:

Nairaland is read everyday by the country's leaders.It is important to give this thread the necessary exposure,for the sake of our country.
Lalastica
seun

Hehehe....

Maybe they're confuse, remember the last time a topic about rice made front page it was about Aisha's rice cheesy
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by FarmTech(m): 8:47am On Apr 04, 2016
Here is a useful link about the dangers of GMO.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/sustainable-farming/genetically-modified-foods-zm0z12amzmat.aspx.
Some imp. Facts frm the link are:
1. Mosanto refuse to give indepent scientists his GM seeds for study. Instead he pays some scientists to favor his seeds in their research.
2. Mosanto have genetically engineered some crops to withstand glyphosphate herbicide. And studies have shown that this herbicide cause birth defects in birds and cancer.
3. GM seeds do not reduce the use of pesticides. In fact, some corn borers are developing resistance.
4. GM corn causes liver and kidney toxicity in rats.
Hybrids are far better than GM seeds bc it follows a natural process that is safer than GM. GM is highly unpredictable.
Another interesting link I came across: https://www.nairaland.com/3026544/five-million-nigerians-oppose-monsantos.

3 Likes

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Newway2(m): 11:32am On Apr 04, 2016
God bless u aplenty for these links.

All in all, we shld look into the long term effect of GMO seeds & not the short term gains.

GMO seed is BAD, really BAD in the long run.

QED

FarmTech:
Here is a useful link
about the dangers of GMO.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/sustainable-farming/genetically-modified-foods-zm0z12amzmat.aspx.
Some imp. Facts frm the link are:
1. Mosanto refuse to give indepent scientists his GM seeds for study. Instead he pays some scientists to favor his seeds in their research.
2. Mosanto have genetically engineered some crops to withstand glyphosphate herbicide. And studies have shown that this herbicide cause birth defects in birds and cancer.
3. GM seeds do not reduce the use of pesticides. In fact, some corn borers are developing resistance.
4. GM corn causes liver and kidney toxicity in rats.
Hybrids are far better than GM seeds bc it follows a natural process that is safer than GM. GM is highly unpredictable.
Another interesting link I came across: https://www.nairaland.com/3026544/five-million-nigerians-oppose-monsantos.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 7:01pm On Apr 04, 2016
FarmTech:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/sustainable-farming/genetically-modified-foods-zm0z12amzmat.aspx

Good link above.

Please, I am discussing, not debating and not confronting anyone.

Its normal for pro organic organisations like "MotherEarthNews.com" to be 100% biased but i am just surprise the site didnt cite enough scientific researches to back up their concerns. However, the issue of glyphosate makes sense in a way. In the other way, its not GM plants they said caused cancer but glyphosate (pesticide). A good attorney can easily win the case because every Jack and Jerry understand that not only glyphosate can cause cancer but all pesticides. Simple directions like not spraying 21 days to harvest is a way to just strike off this claim. So, it means that the inability to follow usage of glyphosate is the cause of cancer and not the GM seeds.

Again, I read the issue raised where GM plants couldn't reduce use of pesticide. Brothers and sisters, you can develop seeds to counter limited pests and not all pests. Since you are limited, it's logical to develop seeds that can resist the main notorious pests in your area. Afterward, use pesticide to chase less notorious ones and finally, you need to rotate spraying pesticide active ingredients. Just normal agricultural practice addresses the issue again.

Really, GM food can have side effects. I read the place where it's written it caused liver problems in rats. Note: This was not done in US. It was in France. But in the article, there's a concluding part that says the French authority set up a neutral body which is from the European Union Board and the result of the panel after investigation countered the claim. So, the wise thing here is to look at the reasons why the claims were countered.

So, MotherEarthNews.com just criticized the use of pesticide, inorganic farming and not GM seeds. But organic farming has its own dangers too. You get infected with E-Coli and others if you don't compost manure well. How many farmers compost properly in Nigeria? LOL! grin

One GM food approach I don't support:
The US has refused to label GM fruits on shelves and this is where I agree with MotherEarthNews.com. Why?
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by FarmTech(m): 10:13pm On Apr 05, 2016
GodIsGood08:

Good link above.

Please, I am discussing, not debating and not confronting anyone.

Its normal for pro organic organisations like "MotherEarthNews.com" to be 100% biased but i am just surprise the site didnt cite enough scientific researches to back up their concerns. However, the issue of glyphosate makes sense in a way. In the other way, its not GM plants they said caused cancer but glyphosate (pesticide). A good attorney can easily win the case because every Jack and Jerry understand that not only glyphosate can cause cancer but all pesticides. Simple directions like not spraying 21 days to harvest is a way to just strike off this claim. So, it means that the inability to follow usage of glyphosate is the cause of cancer and not the GM seeds.

Again, I read the issue raised where GM plants couldn't reduce use of pesticide. Brothers and sisters, you can develop seeds to counter limited pests and not all pests. Since you are limited, it's logical to develop seeds that can resist the main notorious pests in your area. Afterward, use pesticide to chase less notorious ones and finally, you need to rotate spraying pesticide active ingredients. Just normal agricultural practice addresses the issue again.

Really, GM food can have side effects. I read the place where it's written it caused liver problems in rats. Note: This was not done in US. It was in France. But in the article, there's a concluding part that says the French authority set up a neutral body which is from the European Union Board and the result of the panel after investigation countered the claim. So, the wise thing here is to look at the reasons why the claims were countered.

So, MotherEarthNews.com just criticized the use of pesticide, inorganic farming and not GM seeds. But organic farming has its own dangers too. You get infected with E-Coli and others if you don't compost manure well. How many farmers compost properly in Nigeria? LOL! grin

One GM food approach I don't support:
The US has refused to label GM fruits on shelves and this is where I agree with MotherEarthNews.com. Why?
I get ur points. One reason why I don't like GMO or trust national food authorities is bc with money, these companies can have their way even if their products have questionable health effect. Think of chemicals like DDT and others that hav been banned. When they were in use, I believe scientists here and there would hav been writing against them but the authorities ignore them. If we really want to avoid birth defects, organ failures etc, organic farming is the way to go. Ecoli is not much of a problem if u wash or cook ur produce very well b4 consumption. In the case of GM, they will inject bacteria gene into crops without caring about what might happen in the future. All they care about is now.

1 Like

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 12:35pm On Apr 06, 2016
APOLOGY: I wish to write short posts but this subject needs thorough explanation and analysis for everyone to understand what the discussion is about. Please, bear with me as you read this long post again.

FarmTech:

I get ur points. One reason why I don't like GMO or trust national food authorities is bc with money, these companies can have their way even if their products have questionable health effect. Think of chemicals like DDT and others that hav been banned. When they were in use, I believe scientists here and there would hav been writing against them but the authorities ignore them.

It is a great concern for everyone; however, the human race is blessed with the ability to dialogue. Everything is about dispute resolution through panels and committes that are established with pro, anti and neutral members. Their motive is to find common grounds for stakeholders.

Check out: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_for_Responsible_Genetics
The council for "Responsible Genetic" is one of such panels. Scientists were cautioned from cloning human after succesfully cloning sheep. Apart from health issues, there are moral, ethical, religion, cultural etc issues that genetic engineering must respect. Take a look at the references in the article. There are many more panels but i will cite just this one. So, researches are well scrutinized these days but I am not ruling out mischievous acts; however, truth always prevails no matter how long deceit reigns. Truth always dethrones lies.

FarmTech:

If we really want to avoid birth defects, organ failures etc, organic farming is the way to go. Ecoli is not much of a problem if u wash or cook ur produce very well b4 consumption.

Organic farming is labour intensive, materials are scarce and very limited in supply; hence, organic fruits and vegetables are expensive. Also, it's almost impossible to feed big cities like those in the US only with organic. Maybe you can feed Belgium, small islands and Thailand with subsistence organic faming BUT not Lagos, Abuja and PH in Nigeria. Where is the land in Lagos? We are our worst enemies bro. The british colonized us and gave us good house templates with good environment. Check out the houses in Ikoyi, Lagos. Go to railway compound in Ebute Metta/Yaba Lagos and see the buildings erected during the British days. Houses with large compound you can grow vegetables, trees and practice organic farming. What do we have now in Lagos? Houses without compounds, closely built, sky scrappers in VI etc. This shoot up Lagos population drastically. So, how do you expect organic farming to feed Lagosians? What kind of magic are you going to perform? Instead of government to learn from Lagos, take a look at what is happening in Abuja that is just around 20 years old (not sure how old is Abuja).

Also, land issue in Nigeria is a problem. We have land but we still don't have land. Confused with my statement? Yes, we have abundant land in SW but land owners have made it practically impossible to farm with their dubious attitude and usage of charms. So, in another sense, we don't have land in south west and Ibos have practically made land purchase or lease for farming impossible cos of crazy high cost. So, there is no enough land to practice farming in SW, SS and SE despite the availability of abundant massive land in the regions.

FarmTech:

If we really want to avoid birth defects, organ failures etc, organic farming is the way to go. Ecoli is not much of a problem if u wash or cook ur produce very well b4 consumption.

Nigerians that don't follow simple instruction and keep laws of simple hygiene won't follow rules to stop E-Coli. It took Fashola, the former governor of Lagos State drastic move to arrest ebola and he gat my respect. Do you think if it's organic fruits we have in open market like mile 12, we will still have high population in Lagos? Infection would have killed almost everyone, trust me on that. E-coli and Staph would have taken over Nigeria. Bro, do you boil cucumber and watermelon? Then, we will know that E-coli and staph are deadlier than cancer and other auto-immune diseases.

Again, do you realize organic farmers intentionally grow fungi and bacteria in soil to get high yield? Some of these microorganisms are dangerous to health; hence, there are rules farmers follow not to transfer those organisms to the plants and also farm workers must be careful not to be infected. Will an average careless, unconcerned, non challant Nigerian farmer want to follow the preventive rules?

FarmTech:

In the case of GM, they will inject bacteria gene into crops without caring about what might happen in the future. All they care about is now.

What kind of bacteria do scientists inject in the seeds? There are good and bad bacteria. Have you heard about good bacteria in human gut that aids digestion thereby good for preventing and correcting auto-immune diseases? Let's go check out probiotics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probiotic
Note: Always read reference below articles on wikipedia as they are more important than the summarized articles.

Scientists have developed different organisms in the laboratory generally known as probiotics in powder form that people buy. Infact, I scout for yoghurt with probiotics which has helped me so much with digestion. It's a big business in the US and pro organic guys have no problem with it. I can start naming different bacteria that are good for you. Same way pro GM food argue that the process of injecting bacteria to modify plants is good.

Really, bad people can inject deadly disease in good products. We have read where HIV was injected into polio vaccines for Africans. Polio vaccine is not bad but wicked people made it bad; hence, hausas are rejecting polio vaccines. Are the hausas to be blamed for rejecting it? Also, I have read Russia accusing Bill Gate of breeding and spreading Zika virus via his vaccine. No proof yet to nail him.

Lastly, I read on this thread that hybrid seeds are more natural than GM seed. Really? Lol. Ok, I agree. I will address it by telling you the genesis of cloning and gene manipulation. It's stem cutting and plant drafts. What does draft do? You combine two genes of different plants e.g you put tomato and potato together and you have a single plant. Tomatoes grow on top, while potatoes grow under the soil of one single plant. Also, with plant graft, you have mango fruits and cashew fruits grow on the same tree. Is that not gene manipulation? This is the start of GMO seeds. Do you know that people kicked against it in the past?

Do we all realize that micropropagation/tissue culture is cloning which is a by product of genetic engineering. IITA is really promoting banana/plantain tissue cultures (micropopagation) in laboratory and every plantain farmer on nairaland will definitely buy tissue cultured plantain seedlings than buying conventional suckers if there's no difference in price. Again do we realize spawning of mushroom fall into the category too? Tissue culture has many advantages: cheap seedlings, mass production, disease free seedling etc. Therefore, I repeat it again that Genetic Engineering is a blessing to human race and not a curse.

2 Likes

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 3:46am On Apr 07, 2016
GOLDEN RICE SO FAR IS A GOOD CONCEPT

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rice

OP, almost everything you wrote about has been addressed in the link above. I am sure if you had read an article like this and you had gone through the references, you may have used another approach to criticize golden rice. So, people who know about golden rice won't even bother to read rants from agrieved people that were quoted in your criticism.

Do you know the cost of moringa like 10 years ago? Almost valueless but as soon as it was popularized, there was crazy hype. Do you know the cost now? Go check out. Organic farmers are greedy most times. As soon as they make a single breakthrough, they just put ridiculous price on the product. Bro, moringa and all those food you mentioned aren't ordinary food or supplements again but luxury. Why don't you recommend those organic supplement for IDPs in Nigeria? Just not visible.

Do you have any proof that Bill Gate bribed Jonathan's administration and senators to push his golden rice? Please, post it here sir. Why do we always accuse others without proofs. It's called defamation, please watch out!

Note: I'll still write about Monsanto and some of its good achievements. Most critics are just "follow-follow" who listened to rants of agrieved competitors. Africa has benefitted more from Monsanto, Syngenta, Technisem and Premier seed than all those Asian seeds made in China, Thailand, Singapore etc that nairalanders are promoting these days just because they claim to be pro organic. Pro-Organic indeed!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by olaide2k6: 8:50am On Apr 08, 2016
I wonder why anybody in his right senses will go against the good intentions of bill gate. Your leaders are stealing our money and developing other countries and we now have somebody of a white race that wants to help developing our economy by boosting GDP, creating employment, Having enof food instead of importing, attracting more investors etc... and somebody somewhere is going against it because of their own selfish interest. Pls lets be optimistic 4 once in this country
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 12:48pm On Apr 08, 2016
MONSANTO AFRICA

What I appreciate about Monsanto and partners is that they moved to Africa, set up companies in Africa, set up farms in Africa, and produce seeds for African climate right inside Africa. What else can you show you care other than this?
http://www.monsantoafrica.com/who_we_are/monsanto_in_africa.asp

On the page, you find the following:
"In Africa, Monsanto is headquartered in South Africa with offices in Kenya, and Malawi. The locations are variously administrative and sales offices, manufacturing plants or seed production facilities. In West Africa, we trade our seed and crop protection products from our distributor’s headquarters in Dakar Senegal"

Nigeria is still lagging, all we pray for is that government should open up our economy and most importantly improve power in order for investors to come here. We need manufacturers in Nigeria.

Check out this product made for Africa: Water Efficient Maize for Africa, or WEMA

http://www.monsantoafrica.com/sustainability/produce_more/wema.asp

Writen on the page: "WEMA aims to help remedy the situation. It seeks to develop a variety of drought-tolerant maize seeds, both conventional and biotech. Small-scale farmers would then be offered these seeds on a royalty-free basis"

Take note of the words: conventional and biotech. Conventional in my opinion means not genetically modified (I hope I am right). If you don't want this drought tolerant variety, tell your government to provide you irrigation manufacturers in Nigeria so you stop importing irrigation systems which are crazily expensive.

GREENHOUSE TOMATO INDETERMINATE - Anna f1 by Monsanto

99.9 percent farmers on nairaland curse Monsanto daily, yet they all want Anna f1 seed by Monsanto. Hypocrites! Do we all realize that Monsanto worked with poor farmers (grassroot strategy) to achieve its popularity using cheap nethouse in Kenya? Anna f1 has become pacesetter in the tomato industry. Even Monsanto made a pdf file for farmers on how to do it using African style (improvisation). Please download the pdf file below if you want to know A to Z farming of tomato greenhouse farming the African way:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.monsantoafrica.com/_pdfs/tomato_anna_f1_growers_handbook.pdf&q=anna%20f1%20tomato%20pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjgxZSA6f7LAhVBsRQKHTj0BMgQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNGg1ixatwGGkEsfEX2Iwpe4_5DcZQ

Trust Syngenta, the company followed up with its greenhouse indeterminate called Tylka F1 and another open field variety called Kelele F1. Syngenta made nice youtube videos which I have seen on nairaland. Some farmers in Kenya said they prefer Tylka to Anna but my conclusion is that climate is a major factor which determines the performance of the seeds.

I know Technisem also has farms in Africa and I remember talking with one of their importers to Nigeria sometime last year. There's a variety he claimed can produce 80 to 100 tons per hectare. It's called Cobra f1. It's available in Ibadan and Kano but it's determinate (I haven't verified the information). I'm so interested in the variety because it tolerates bacteria wilt, the notorious tomato plants killer.

Very funny people criticized Dangote that the tomato seeds he gave farmers are GM seeds and bad. For goodness sake, why can't Nigerians make research and not just "follow-follow"? There was a thread on it on this nairaland but I stayed out of the thread because I noticed ignorance and illiteracy operating in hyper-super raised to the power of infinity on the thread. My apology to anyone hit with this honest truth. If you want to have good tomato harvest, check your soil and water ph, check your soil nutrient, rotate different pesticide/fungicide active ingredient and not just use one etc. How many farmers follow the guidelines? Please read again the pdf by Monsanto above for details. For every guideline you disregard, you lower your efficiency. Over 95 percent farmers in Nigeria perform below 5 percent efficiency; hence, instead of getting 80 tons for 1 ha, they get less than 5 tons. Thenafter, they start saying one cannot use manufacturers' predicted figures. LOL! Whose fault is it? Yes, there are many circumstances beyond farmers' control which reduce efficiency but is it the manufacturer's fault?

Farmers and self acclaimed agricultural consultants/trainers should stop encouraging intending farmers to launch straight into "practical farming" without knowing the theoretical aspect. Your so-called practical knowledge without theorical knowledge of new technology and innovation is not efficient. Intending farmers should learn theory of how Agriculture is done, thenafter find a way to improvise in order to lower cost of production. Don't just "follow-follow" some ugly, unkept, dirty looking farmers with their miserable cutlass and hoes on farms. Westerners read many posts on nairaland and just laugh. Pictures posted are unbelievable and laughable. We aren't subject of mockery for goodness sake. No wonder some people abroad still think Africans live on trees. You post those pictures and expect foreign investors to partner with you? Joke of the century. grin My apology again if this truth hurts anyone.

Now, let's be honest with ourselves, how many of those pro organic seeds manufacturers from Asia try improving Africa? Is it China, Indonesia, Thailand, Japan, Malaysia etc? How many researches have they done toward improving Africa? I see profit making as their sole motive for coming to Africa. China is even worse - A greedy Nigeria importer tells them to make fake products and they always agree to do it just for profit.

If you don't want Mr. Gate to make additional profit from you since he's a billionaire, then set up your own company and chase him out as a competitor. You don't want billionaire Bill to make more money from you, set up yours, reduce your price and force him out. You don't want devil Monsanto in Africa, raise your voice and let General/Strategist/Mr. Buhari; Professor of law Osinbajo; and the ex great, 1st class governor Fashola know that we need power, we need manufacurers etc. You want to take your destiny into your hands since you were told you are the leaders of tomorrow in elementary schools, raise your voice and chase away old, non retiring politicians embezzling your fund by moving them abroad via Panama.

Who is the real devil among the following?

A. Mr. Bill Gate
B. Monsanto
C. Nigerian Politicians and Leaders
D. All the above

1 Like

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by phyllosilicate(m): 9:01pm On Apr 09, 2016
harmbhrosz:
seriously bro? Kindly refrain your statement plsss
I finished from an agricultural sch and there's a plant breeding department in my faculty which has a tissue culture lab., I studied plant breeding as a university course for more than 3semesters so I know a great deal about plant genetics

So Anything genetically modified is not a bad thing(except if there are evil motives behind it)

Lemme blow ur mind, a huge number (if not all) crop has been genetically modified, from plantain, pawpaw, orange,cassava, rice etc... Just use Google bro... The lecture is much pls

Bro you are very wrong. I also studied an agricultural discipline and has worked in 3 research institute.

What you did was plant breeding, which mostly involves crossing related plants or animals to get hybrids.

Genetic modification uses advance techniques, such as gene splicing. Unlike plant breeding unrelated specieces are 'crossed' e.g puting a gene from a bacteria into maize.

Please do more research. GMO is evil.

2 Likes

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 10:26pm On Apr 09, 2016
phyllosilicate:

Genetic modification uses advance techniques, such as gene splicing. Unlike plant breeding unrelated specieces are 'crossed' e.g puting a gene from a bacteria into maize.

Please do more research. GMO is evil.

Sir, for you to write confidently that someone should do more research, I believe you have done thorough research and you are 100% sure GMO is evil.

Alright, we accept you are an expert in Agriculture with record of working in 3 Nigerian research institutes. But I doubt anything serious in genetic engineering is done in any Nigerian research Institute. So, kindly explain explicitly with links from scientific researches you have gone through that GM is evil. As the expert you said you are, cite examples. Give us the source of the bacteria, tell us the process and the evil result. Write about the detailed advance techniques and the evil results with examples.

If you cannot do it, you have just criticized like someone who is not an expert who won't be taking serious. Really, tell us how golden rice is evil. Tell us how GMO cassava with vitamin A is demonic. Maybe I have missed something out that you know. Please, don't just come rant again, write like the expert who has made a thorough research you say you are.

Sir, if you can do it and show us GM is totally evil, I'll never again make comments on the topic and I'll be silent. However, if you cannot, I suggest you click the links provided in the posts above and learn more about GM innovation. Don't just criticize without reading first.

NOTE: The previous writer wrote: GM is not evil except there is an evil motive behind it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Gerrard59(m): 11:17pm On Apr 09, 2016
Destined2win:

You really think so? Anything genetically modified is never in the best interest of man

This is false. Genetically modified foods are safe for humans as they have passed every test which is purely rigorous. What exactly are GM foods? It is the gene or a particular gene that has been modified or cut off to enhance either its nutritional content, disease resistance, drought/weather sturdiness, cross breeding, hybrid vigor(Heterosis) etc.

The world population is expanding and this accompanied with the adverse change in the climate which corresponds to less land; which has been eroded chemically with excessive fertilizers. The solution? Grow more with less land. How can it be done?

* Develop GM seeds and sell/give to farmers which will help them cultivate more on less land. An instance is Burkina-Faso which increased its cotton production. GM seeds did the magic.
* Enhance research into crops and find how they can grow even in the most torrid of conditions.
* Develop more nutritional value for our crops and food. An example is the carotene in cassava which adds the vitamin A into a formerly excessively poly-saccharide meal, and a staple one at that.

There's absolutely wrong with GM foods. What Nigerians are displaying, unfortunately, is ignorance. Our agric sector cannot continue with its traditional mode of cultivation. This is why the likes of Brazil, India, China and without mentioning the US have exceeded us in adding value to agro-products and this is where we need the likes of Syngenta, Monsanto, BayerCropScience, BASF, Bill Gates, IITA etc. Hopefully, I'll write an article in the dailies on why we need GMOs/GM foods.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by An0nimus: 12:52am On Apr 10, 2016
olaide2k6:
I wonder why anybody in his right senses will go against the good intentions of bill gate. Your leaders are stealing our money and developing other countries and we now have somebody of a white race that wants to help developing our economy by boosting GDP, creating employment, Having enof food instead of importing, attracting more investors etc... and somebody somewhere is going against it because of their own selfish interest. Pls lets be optimistic 4 once in this country

Sounds a lot like what our forefathers said when the white man was deceiving them into enslavement.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by An0nimus: 1:10am On Apr 10, 2016
@Godisgood08

The real devil is D. All of the above. Nigerian politcians are just the devils we know first hand.

You seem to have near absolute faith in Monsanto and Bill Gates and is boldly challenging everyone to prove that the GM seeds are 100% bad. I don't need to know about GM to tell it's not 100% bad. It might be 20, 30 or 80% bad but def not 100. My worry is where I read that there's a patent on it and it might be designed to curb replanting. This to me is a red flag. Imagine the whole of Africa becomes addicted to this wonder crop and only one guy or a select group of 'lovers of Africa' are the sellers. I guess this is where we Nigerians have to get our thinking caps on and find viable solutions and not rush without much thought into what Monsanto is offering.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 8:16am On Apr 10, 2016
An0nimus:
The real devil is D. All of the above. Nigerian politcians are just the devils we know first hand.

Well, D = All of the above is an option which you chose after processing the information above. No one will crucify you for choosing it but just make sure you criticize constructively so you might not be another devil (same applies to me and everyone contributing to this topic).

An0nimus:
You seem to have near absolute faith in Monsanto and Bill Gates and is boldly challenging everyone to prove that the GM seeds are 100% bad.

Using to have near absolute faith in Monsanto and Bill Gates is over exaggeration because you don't have proof. How did you reach the conclusion? You definitely, didn't process the information I wrote above very well. One clue I will give you is where I wrote I don't support the US not labeling GM food on shelves. So, what does that tell you?

Most critics sound like GMO is 100% evil so, I asked they prove it. I haven't stated that GM innovation is 100% perfect. Only God is the perfect one, the "unmoved mover". Did you read this statement in one of my previous posts? Did you read where I mentioned GM producers made mistakes and deadly errors?

An0nimus:
I don't need to know about GM to tell it's not 100% bad. It might be 20, 30 or 80% bad but def not 100.

This is wisdom and I respect you for it as I use same approach too; however, crazy critics will definitely tell you it is 1,000,000% evil without allowing just 0.000000001% doubt.

An0nimus:
My worry is where I read that there's a patent on it and it might be designed to curb replanting. This to me is a red flag.

I wrote somewhere that patent is another issue. I don't see it as a red flag but a yellow card. To me, I see it as a means to be on stand by and be alert. Patent issue is no longer health but the following: business ethics, law and profit. So, does it mean you have just justified my point on the fact that competitors who cannot match up with Monsanto are the agrieved set of people? Maybe if the so-called critics had been the first in the game they would have even got court order to probe anyone challenging them and not just having patent? Brother, LAW is so wide and I just wish an attorney can pull out some case files, especially those relating to patent so we can discuss why patent was granted to some of their products (not all), what conditions and terms are attached to it; what critics have challenged in the past etc. Only thenafter, you can be worried more or just relax knowing God is in charge.

An0nimus:
Imagine the whole of Africa becomes addicted to this wonder crop and only one guy or a select group of 'lovers of Africa' are the sellers. I guess this is where we Nigerians have to get our thinking caps on and find viable solutions and not rush without much thought into what Monsanto is offering.

If you think Monsanto is the only one in the business, you are so wrong. I have shown you Syngenta is also a big player in the GM business too. In fact, Syngenta sued Monsanto based on patent issue one time and the case is among the links I posted. Do you know how Syngenta has penetrate into Africa? Someone else on this thread mentioned BayerCropScience, BASF and IITA as players. So, why just criticize only Monsanto?

I remember vividly when Bill Gates was on top of computer with his windows OS in those days and many criticized him for trying to rule the world but it wouldn't have happened if Job Steve was not kicked out of Apple. Things changed when Job was brought back to Apple and just in little period of time, Apple challenged Windows. IOS bastardized windows. Job used mainly court and innovation to reduce the influence of windows on computer but when criticizing, you know he made real sense and the whole world listened. Job's press conferences were BOOM! You just wanna listen to that genius who fought microsoft gallantly. Fast forward, Job and Apple dived into mobile and kicked out NOKIA symbian OS and motorola, made windows mobile so unattractive to users. Alas! google dived in and gave a good fight with android OS. This is COMPETITION.

Manufacturers should stop criticizing foolishly cos they can't stand the ovation or market. They have two tools: Court and Innovation (solve problems and satisfy your customers).

Brother, I admonish you to look at the options for answering who is the real devil again. If you still choose D, who am I to criticize you? Perhaps, I should add another option:

Option E - Irrelevant competitors and "follow-follow" critics.

1 Like

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Gerrard59(m): 3:47pm On Apr 10, 2016
^^^^

Thanks a lot.
The problem most Nigerians have is ignorance, they think Nigerian can be fed using organic farming, for which land?

What we only need is strict regulation. About your probiotics, there're is even the lactose-free dairy products, which is meant for persons with lactose digestion and unfortunately Africans are seriously affected by this through evolution and genetics.

Once again, thanks for your succinct elucidation
GodIsGood08:

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 8:45am On Apr 11, 2016
Gerrard59:

What we only need is strict regulation. About your probiotics, there're is even the lactose-free dairy products, which is meant for persons with lactose digestion and unfortunately Africans are seriously affected by this through evolution and genetics

Not being able to tolerate lactose is a big problem for group of people who don't take milk and by-products like yorghut, cheese, tofu etc. Over 95 percent SW, SS and SE residents have this problem which they don't realize until they relocate to where milk and its by products are eaten very well.

Another major cause is usage of antibiotics; hence, it's better to prevent than cure infection. Using antibiotics is not really good BUT we may have no other alternative in some cases. And Nigerians are so good with self prescription. Nurses, pharmacists (even road side ones) prescribe anyhow. Oflaxin, ciproflaxin, Cefuroxime and their likes should be left for experienced doctors (not the many doctors produced by Nigerian colleges of Medicine, my apology) to prescribe and never sold over-counter.

Eating vegetables, drinking lots of water PLUS using probiotics, and eating fermented food introduce and feed new good gut bacteria. Yorubas are going to do well if they eat probiotics cos they gat so many well-fermented food; garri is one. They just need to eat more protein especially milk and by products. Many human guts are going to get healed via this method.

I have read some papers where nutritionists suggest eating eating GM food might be responsible for some of these problems. I keep updating my knowledge about it.

For the record, I don't eat GM food BUT when I find myself in a place I know GM might be on the shelves, I try to minimize my purchase. Out of rants, wisdom might pop up. I am not going to start eating GM food because I have read many papers which say some GM food are good. It's wisdom that when you have non GM food, you choose it over GM. So, no one should conclude I am pro-GMO. All I am trying to say is Pro-organic and critics should do better.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by doublex: 12:38pm On Apr 12, 2016
Wow interesting

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help / Fresh And Split Dried Ginger / Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 180
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.