Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,792 members, 7,798,674 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:15 AM

10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year (60076 Views)

Fuel Tanker Crashes In Cross River State As Residents Rush With Gallons. Photos / Man Killed In Fatal Car Accident Due To Bad Road In Cross River State. Photos / Hot And Cold Stream In Ugep, Cross River State, Discovered By A Hunter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Bekwarra(m): 1:17pm On Mar 27, 2016
I served this nation in Cross River state for the mandatory one-year NYSC programme. I passed out on July 2nd 2015 (CR/14B). I served in Bekwarra Local Government Area; two schools located in Akpakpa and later Afrike 1. Being someone that loves travelling and seeing places, I moved around the state and was able to visit 15 of the state's 18 LGAs so I can say I know some things about the state. These are 10 of my observations in the state of The People's Paradise.

1. The people are warm and friendly
Cross Riverians are a warm and friendly people. They are accommodating and drawn to visitors. They are always ready to help you if they see that you are a new face there. This was evident from when we got to the NYSC camp at Obubra. They are always very ready to help and they feel easily drawn to visitors. Someone like me who's always slow and cautious when making friend was able to make a handful of friends in a short period of time. I've been to a few places in Nigeria but the people of Cross River are some of the most friendly.

2. They Are Great Cooks

I once told a friend over phone while still in Cross River that "bro if your life depends on food and you want to marry solely for food, please get a Cross River chick". That Cross River women are good cooks is an understatement. Their girls and women are experts in cooking. Cooking for them comes with ease. They have these tasty and delicious soups gosh they are fantastic. Back in Lagos we are all used to Calabar kitchens and we respect their soups but I'm telling you there is more to their delicacies than Calabar soups. Back in Bekwarra I enjoyed tasty soups like Oturukpa, Akum, groundnut soup and Beniseed soup. It was also in Ogoja that I ate plantain porridge; unripe plantain cooked with palm oil, bitter leaf, crayfish and dry fish. What a delicacy. Whenever you visit Cross River, make sure you eat their local meals. I'll recommend beniseed with akpu. Their akpu is strong and hard jeez; more like something you can use to deworm by stoning the worms inside you to death. I nicknamed one girl fufu pounder due to her dexterity in handling the pestle. Bekwarra people cant do without eating akpu in a day.

3. It's A Largely Rural State

The state is a largely rural state in all ramifications. Apart from Calabar and a few other towns like Ogoja, Ikom and to a lesser extent Akampka and Obudu, Cross River state is largely rural. There's not much on ground in terms of infrastructure, development and economic activities. The government should do more in terms of infrastructure. They should stop concentrating on Calabar and allow development to spread especially to the northern part of the state. For example I don't have verifiable data but I can say that from my observations, Ikeja LG has more banks than the whole state. Successive governments seem to be concentrating development in Calabar which is an impressive and beautiful city already. No hustling in the state, if you are not a farmer then you are a civil servant. There are few economic activities. Even in Calabar, the peeps move to neighbouring states and towns especially PH to hustle. You don't hustle in Calabar, you spend. The city is expensive yet few economic activities happening there afford the people little opportunity to hustle unlike other big cities in Nigeria. For example Calabar is still sleeping by 6am, few people and cars on the road by that time unlike Lagos which is awake and on its feet already by 4am. I once told one of the teachers in my school that you can be caught in traffic in Lagos by 5am and he turned me to a liar. To him it's strange.

4. There's More To The State Than Calabar

So many people see Cross River and Calabar as the same. I used to feel the same until I went there. The state is one of the most diverse in Nigeria with over 33 languages being spoken there. Most people back in Lagos that called me during my service year or chatted with me usually told me "guy I hear say u dey serve for Calabar". I'll only shake my head and smile thinking that "these people don't know I'll spend between 5-6hrs going to Calabar from here". There are other people with culture and languages different from that of the Efik people. There are Bekwarra, Afrike, Ogoja, Yala, Boki, Obubra, Obudu people to mention a few. For example Bekwarra and Afrike people are in the same local government but they have similar but different languages..

5. Agriculture Is A Way of Life
Many outsiders who have never been to the state before see it as a riverine state whose major source of life is fishing. Many people see Cross River as this state of fishermen who love carnivals and festivals. Except the coastal parts of Cross River South and Central, other parts of the state are largely agrarian. They are mostly farmers. They take agriculture seriously and they never joke with it both males and females. Cross Riverian kids are introduced to agriculture at a very early stage. They go to the farm with their parents. If their men are not on the farm making heaps or clearing the bush, they'll be on the palm tree tapping or in the bush hunting. Their women are not left out; they are either planting cassava, peeling cassava and making garri, making palm oil (well refined) or back home preparing akpu and soup. These industrious people love agriculture a lot and this is responsible for cheap food. Food is so cheap and with a little amount, you can eat to your satisfaction with the exception of Calabar obviously. They have food and farm products in abundance and at cheap prices. One of the things I cherish most about them is that they are hard workers. I respect them a lot.
The government still needs to help them a lot in the area of improved seeds, fertilizers, mechanized farming (almost non-existent) and to stem the scourge of Fulani herdsmen (I witnessed a lot of confrontations between the villagers and the nomads)

6. Backward Educationally
This is a general problem in Nigeria. Education in this country is a joke but some states are still better than others. I can't vouch for any northern state but in the context of southern states, education in Cross River still has some catching up to do. I can't say for South East and South South states but placing Cross River state beside South Western states, there is a very big gulf. Education is not really taken serious us here and the government also is not really helping matters in this regard. Their children and parents don't take education serious and the few who do are not encouraged by the government. Majority of schools in the rural parts depend on corp members for staff strength. The quality of education is low and examination malpractice is rampant and encouraged. I can recollect my VP once telling the students to learn how to write fast when note is being dictated because during their external exam nobody will slow down for them when answers are being dictated. The bitter truth is, the state still have a long way to go in terms of education.

7. Calabar Girls Are Not The Real Deal
Whenever you mention Cross River, Calabar comes to mind and merely hearing Calabar, two things come to mind; their soups and girls. Many people do have the erroneous belief that Cali girls are so beautiful, exotic and refined more than any other in the state. Although, Cali girls are more popular and more exposed but when it comes to beauty, I'll unequivocally give it to Ogoja girls especially those of Igoli and Ishibori. They are beautiful in the pure and real sense of it. They are ravishing, homely and naturally beautiful. Worthy of note are also some Bekwarra girls (not many), Ikom, Boki, Obudu and Obubra girls.

8. They Love Burial Ceremonies
This is one of the highlights of many villages. Burial is only second to Christmas. Burial ceremonies are big occasions. Naming and wedding ceremonies are more of rarity but burial ceremonies are the big deal. The whole place is always agog with preparations and they spend a lot on it. They don't like burying their dead outside their villages so they don't mind bringing them in from other parts of the country where they died. Their burials last for weeks or more at times. Although I didn't witness any naming ceremony and only witnessed a single wedding ceremony, I witness lots of burial ceremonies which not only for old people. A 30-year old man's burial will see food being cooked and guests been fed.

9. They Have The Best Palm Wine
One of the things that made me enjoy my stay in Cross River is palm wine. Cross River especially the northern part is a land of palm wine. If you've been there before, you can't but attest to the fact that they have superb palm wine. I'll say it's the best in Nigeria. I had many drunken days there. My students spoilt me with it, my VP being a tapper too was also culpable. They have two varieties; the up one and the down one. The up one is fresher, richer and definitely costlier. It is the one that's tapped from the top of the palm tree. The down one is cheaper but greatly more intoxicating. You get drunk easily while drinking it. It's gotten from palm trees that have already been cut down. You can get the best palm wine in places like Afrike (Bekwarra), Mbube (Ogoja), Okpoma (Yala) and Obudu. They have it in abundance and it is cheap.

10. They love to enjoy themselves. No matter how poor this people are, they still find time to enjoy themselves. They love dancing to a fault and not only that, they are expert dancers. Gosh these people can dance. The way they wiggle their bodies is something else even the small ones among them. They love their ceremonies and most especially new yam festival. The Calabar Carnival is a shining crown on all their festivals. There are lots of other festivals and events to witness in Cross River. Sundays are always bubbling even the most rural villages. People go out to drink, see friends, hold meetings and unwind. In short they love to unwind and enjoy themselves. Their Christianity does not stop them from drinking and making merry.

Other notable observations are that they are generally Christian mostly Catholics and Assemblies of God members, it is a very big state, only Oyo state is bigger in southern Nigeria, there are some parts where you'll have a foot in Nigeria and the other in Cameroun (there are some parts in Lagos state where you won't know whether you are in Lagos or Ogun state, the same is applicable in Cross River), life is serene and generally peaceful, no hold ups, no shouting and cursing and the hustle and bustle of city life, if you've never seen a witch in real life go to some parts of Bekwarra like Ebegang and Anyikang, nature is at its best here with nice scenery.
These are my observations of about a year that I spent in the state. My stay their was enjoyable and fulfilling, a few disappointments and a lot of memorable moments. I'll love to visit the state again. I may be wrong in some of my observations but those are the things I observed as a CrossKopa who served in Bekwarra and was able to visit 15 out of 18LGs. Your views are welcome from both indigenes and non-indigenes.

208 Likes 22 Shares

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by ify2nyce(f): 1:20pm On Mar 27, 2016
no7 sha

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Nobody: 1:21pm On Mar 27, 2016
grin
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Nobody: 1:21pm On Mar 27, 2016
They like burial too in Ebonyi

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Bekwarra(m): 1:34pm On Mar 27, 2016
Holudarey01:
They like burial too in Ebonyi
Bros burial for Cross River na another thing o. Na for their I see fireworks for burial. There are some times you go to school and see that 70% of your students are not in class and when you ask why they'll say "sir dem don go for bury down (burial)"

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by ritababe(f): 1:40pm On Mar 27, 2016
Bekwarra:

Bros burial fro Cross River na another thing o. Na for their I see fireworks for burial. There are some times you go to school and see that 70% of your students are not in class and when you ask why they'll say "sir dem don go for bury down (burial)"

lol them don disappear go obito, free food things grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by dimsonu(m): 1:41pm On Mar 27, 2016
Bekwarra:

Bros burial fro Cross River na another thing o. Na for their I see fireworks for burial. There are some times you go to school and see that 70% of your students are not in class and when you ask why they'll say "sir dem don go for bury down (burial)"
Burial...
Is this not an epidemic in the Southern Nigeria?
I grew up hearing that burials in Yoruba land is like Seasonal movies.
Igbo people's Burial na Nollywood.
Here in Warri...Obito na road blocking things oh...each family member with their own canopy and DJ...
It's a problem.
When I lost my dad in 2009 na only God know say the money wey we spend fit build upstair.
...it's all vanity after all.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by lindaayim(f): 1:42pm On Mar 27, 2016
nshor/nne wob leungha

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by martyns303(m): 1:42pm On Mar 27, 2016
This guy just spoilt my perception of Calabar girls.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by unite4real: 1:44pm On Mar 27, 2016
No9 is not true until you have tasted nsukka and otukpa palm wines from enugu and benue respectively

19 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by nextstep(m): 1:44pm On Mar 27, 2016
Thanks for this insightful post about Cross Rivers, also taking time to delve into details about economics, educational aspects, and general life. Your post shows one of the many reasons our NYSC is a positive thing: exposing Nigerians to diFferent parts of our wonderful country.
Makes me wish I could spend a year there too.

73 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Nobody: 1:44pm On Mar 27, 2016
Its a nice place for a holiday.

Clean, calm and the air smells fresh.

I mean Calabar. smiley

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Nobody: 1:45pm On Mar 27, 2016
They like burial? shocked means dey love it wen their pple die or wat? cheesy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by JaypeeAnics(m): 1:45pm On Mar 27, 2016
Its a PDP state...and APC can never rule dem...
I was expecting dat from u.....but it seems dat u didn't learn anything meaningful.... lol....

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Nobody: 1:46pm On Mar 27, 2016
Number 7 is 100% correct.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Morhziez(m): 1:46pm On Mar 27, 2016
I will like to visit obudu cattle range someday

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Youngetskilz23(m): 1:46pm On Mar 27, 2016
am proud to be a cross riverian..hit like if you are too

54 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by feaworaoja007: 1:46pm On Mar 27, 2016
I must marry from Cross Rivers State...

4 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Fearcom(m): 1:47pm On Mar 27, 2016
Lord have Mercy grin
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Bekwarra(m): 1:47pm On Mar 27, 2016
mascot87:
The like eating dog
Baba I no wan talk about that one o make people no break my head. But I deserve a national award for resisting the temptation. Dog meat is cheaper than beef in my village. A #50 piece is so big. They roast and fry it well and it took the grace of God for me to resist. They normally bring it for me and it was always hard resisting that nice looking and well made meat.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by JaypeeAnics(m): 1:47pm On Mar 27, 2016
you forgot to mention dat d ppl so much hates APC and loves PDP... ITS A PDP STATE.

13 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Nobody: 1:47pm On Mar 27, 2016
Morhziez:
I will like to visit obudu cattle range ranch someday
fixed.

8 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by steffans(m): 1:49pm On Mar 27, 2016
And what else?
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by agrovick(m): 1:49pm On Mar 27, 2016
Nice observations

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Affable0709(m): 1:50pm On Mar 27, 2016
Did you pay the mod to move it to front page? Not more than 3 comments and it's here already? Nice analysis though. But I bet you, that's what you'll say when you visit another state that long... It's a Nigeria thing..

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Tombilly(m): 1:50pm On Mar 27, 2016
OP u're on point..... u're very correct that's my ministry. we r accommodating and friendly people ..... missing home already.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Nobody: 1:50pm On Mar 27, 2016
you don hit FP o
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by whitecloth: 1:51pm On Mar 27, 2016
Bekwarra:
I served this nation in Cross River state for the mandatory one-year NYSC programme. I passed out on July 2nd 2015 (CR/14B).
if you've never seen a witch in real life go to some parts of Bekwarra like Ebegang and Anyikang, nature is at its best here with nice scenery.

abeg, tell me more about the witch thing.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Nitefury: 1:51pm On Mar 27, 2016
Nice one op. But I'll make some corrections. It's Agbakpa and not Akpakpa. And Agbakpa is Ogoja while Afrike 1 (a.ka. Okpeche) is Bekwarra.

Point 1 and 2 I agree with you.

3. While I agree Calabar is the most developed, I beg to disagree with your other submissions. By land mass, Cross River is bigger than any three Southeastern states (you can think of) put together. Ugep, Ikom, Ogoja, and Obudu are the other urban areas and all with an appreciable form of development.

They are have very good town road network, running pipe borne water and functioning General hospitals with exception to Obudu (which has a better managed missionary hospital and some private clinics). All these towns have the best town planning you can think of. With regards to the time the state wakes up, even Kaduna doesn't come alive by 7am compared to the same Lagos. Also worthy of note is that 85% of villages (including Afrike 1 & 2) are accessible by tarred road networks.

4 and 5 on point.

6. Cross River is better than Abia and Ebonyi combined. Agreed that most state government schools are trash, the predominantly Catholic missionary schools are doing wonders and would give Lagos schools a run for their money

7. When you mention Boki, Beauty comes to the mind. In Cross River we have Boki girls and the Rest. Ogoja girl dey learn work where Boki girls dey. And you forgot to add that promiscuity is rife amongst them all.

8. This is so annoying. Especially in the northern part of the state. Even if na 25 years old die, Dem go party like say Dem wan die follow am.

9. Afrike palm wine na die.. The best ever

10. The number of joints in the state (especially the northern part) is more than all the schools combined. Them too like groove.

20 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) / Ghana Bride In Coma After Groom Died In An Accident On His Way To Their Wedding / A Visit To Abuja National Park & Zoo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.