Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,399 members, 7,781,154 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:54 AM

Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity (33476 Views)

Bola Tinubu On Condolence Visit To Bisi Akande Over The Death Of His Wife (Pics) / Fayose Congratulates Tinubu On His 65th Birthday (VIDEO) / Kachikwu: Fuel Scarcity Will End On Wednesday In Abuja, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by olatade(m): 7:03am On Mar 28, 2016
Balarabe Musa, Okukpe, Babatope, Ekungba differ

The Presidency yesterday rose in stout defence of Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu who at the weekend came under scathing criticism by the National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu over comments relating to the current fuel scarcity across the federation.

Kachikwu, who is also the Group Managing Director (GMD) of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), was reported to have said that he could not perform magic in solving the problem of fuel scarcity , a statement Tinubu considered insensitive and insulting to the sensibilities of Nigerians.

But the Presidency yesterday rose in defence of Kachikwu , saying the minister was speaking the truth when he said that Nigerians would have to wait till May for the scarcity to go away.

Presidential spokesman, Mr Femi Adesina on Channels Television programme: “Sunday Politics,” yesterday said the minister should not be crucified for telling Nigerians the truth.

He pointed out that Nigerians were unhappy with the statement credited to the minister because they wanted him to perform magic which would make the commodity readily available in two weeks.

Adesina, however, stressed that the truth which Nigerians should accept was that it would take weeks before the scarcity would go away.

Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Public Petitions, Mr. Uzoma Nkem- Abonta has upbraided Tinubu for his criticism of Kachikwu over the handling of the energy crises in the polity.

In an interview with The Guardian, Nkem -Abonta wondered why Tinubu chose to meddle in the affairs of the Petroleum Minister with a presidential mandate to fix the problem in the sector.
The lawmaker who represents Ukwa East/West Federal Constituency of Abia State enjoined Tinubu not to reduce a sensitive issue relating to the management of the petroleum sector into an APC affair

A member of the APC’s Board of Trustees (BOT) from the South West, Jamiu Afolabi Ekungba told The Guardian yesterday that the chastisement “shows that we are operating a progressive democratic government where what is important to everybody is that whatever any of the segments of government is doing is beneficial to everybody. It also shows that the APC is not a cult where things are done in secret while the country, like it was under the previous government, was being destroyed.”

Also reacting, former governor of old Kaduna State, Alhaji Balarabe Musa, said: “From my understanding, Tinubu is a leader in the party and by that, he has every right to speak out if he discovered anything that may likely erode the credibility of the party before the electorate.”

To erstwhile Minister of Transport and a member of the PDP Board of Trustees (BoT), Chief Ebenezer Babatope, “I am not bothered by whatever any of them says about the other. What is important is the fact that Nigerians are really suffering.”

In his reaction, a chieftain of the APC in Ekiti State, Olusegun Osinkolu, praised Tinubu for the action, saying it was in the best interest of Nigerians and the APC-led government.

Speaking in defence of Kachikwu, one-time Senior Special Assistant on Public Affairs to former President Goodluck Jonathan, Dr. Doyin Okupe, said Nigerians abhor the truth.

Okupe on his Facebook account wrote: “The minister of State for Petroleum is a Nigerian I know by reputation only. When he was appointed I actually wondered why on earth will a man in his exalted international position and pedigree come into the murky arena of the Nigerian oil business. It can only be patriotism.”

Toeing the same line, an APC chieftain, Osita Okechukwu, while conceding that Tinubu had the constitutional right to criticise, however, added that the South East zone of the party did not subscribe to the call for his resignation.

Speaking in the same vein, the vice chairman, South-South of the PDP, Dr. Cairo Ojougboh, said no one should castigate the minister of state because he had only exhibited courage in telling Nigerians the truth.

http://m.guardian.ng/news/presidency-counters-tinubu-on-kachikwu-fuel-scarcity/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by SleekAboki: 7:03am On Mar 28, 2016
Kachikwu, who is also the Group Managing Director (GMD) of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), was reported to have said that he could not perform magic in solving the problem of fuel scarcity , a statement Tinubu considered insensitive and insulting to the sensibilities of Nigerians.

This ludo,amala and gbegiri Tinubu should ask his fulani master Buhari what magic he has performed in the last 10 months? Bloody Ojota cowards who only finds strength when it's GEJ. I blame Gej for allowing a failed ludo player ride on him to Aso Rock.

Gbawe aresa arresa demdem egift ngeneukwenu omenka how REAL is this chain in your hood?

135 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by castrokins(m): 7:05am On Mar 28, 2016

I'd Comment Later, Still Sleeping. But I Have A Dream APC Is A Disaster.

Modified: Tinubu Is A Nigerian And So Reserves His Right To Express Himself, But Calling For Kachikwu's Head Was Going Off The Line. As We All Know Buhari Made Himself The Oil Minister, And Should Actually Be Taking The Shots.

Talking About Magic, Where Will Kachikwu Draw The Wand In May That's So Difficult To Perform At The Moment?

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by Pidggin(f): 7:06am On Mar 28, 2016
We should wait till May for this problem to be resolved while buying fuel @ N200/ltr? Una sure say dis people well so? sad

116 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by DIKEnaWAR: 7:14am On Mar 28, 2016
It seems Kachikwu does not have a godfather within the APC. Since he is not a career politician, he needs one for survival.

Amaechi had to latch on to the opportunity and call for his resignation kwo sack, so he can get another of his cronies appointed there.

Like Chief Babatope said: I don't really care what they say to one another, what I care about is that Nigerians are suffering.

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by Nobody: 7:15am On Mar 28, 2016
Hmm
Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by ojnnaco(m): 7:18am On Mar 28, 2016
Confused set of Cabal A kingdom divided against itself . tell me how it will stand

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by eshietIntrepid(m): 7:18am On Mar 28, 2016
Is true he can't perform any margic after all buhari is the head of that ministry, I know where tinubu is speaking from is not his wish to see any igbo man in this govt.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by lonelydora: 7:18am On Mar 28, 2016
Ok
Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by chimah3(m): 7:19am On Mar 28, 2016
I still say this....

Kachikwu is a stewpeed man!!! angry

4 Likes

Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by iamblisz(m): 7:20am On Mar 28, 2016
grin
Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by bigerboy200: 7:20am On Mar 28, 2016
The koko b say make fuel dey, make light dey,make things get better,make Nigerians smile...

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by fulanimafia: 7:20am On Mar 28, 2016
The fact remains that Kachikwu's statement was largely insensitive and I back Tinubus stand on the issue.

What Nigerians want is reassurance that the queues would disappear as quickly as possible as the NNPC is working hard and doing everything possible to ensure sufficient availability of petroleum products.

We do not have to be rudely reminded that we did not appoint a magician as NNPC GMD. If he can't stand the heat, he should leave the damn kitchen.

Modified

For all those asking for PMB's head:

The Minister of Petroleum's functions are different from that of the NNPC GMD. The NNPC is directly responsible for importation, refining, distribution and supply. Hence the heat on Kachikwu & not Buhari.

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by folks4luv(f): 7:20am On Mar 28, 2016
pls tell dem a house fighting against itself cannot stand. or maybe they r just playing on our intelligence. tinubu only interested in protecting d image of d party so some zombies will vote d party again in 2019, kachikwu just his scape goat

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by Innodon(m): 7:20am On Mar 28, 2016
The game has just begin
Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by looseweight: 7:21am On Mar 28, 2016
Wow
Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by wristbangle: 7:22am On Mar 28, 2016
Mtcheww! Na when we go hear good news 4 this countrym

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by Nobody: 7:22am On Mar 28, 2016
When did pointing out someone's error = meddling that person's affairs

3 Likes

Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by kimond101: 7:23am On Mar 28, 2016
What I know for sure is Nigerians are really suffering due to this fuel crisis. Queuing at a filling station for close to an hour on a Sunday morning is now normal.
Like yesterday whilst queueing for fuel I saw this man carrying his generator from the filling station under the rain.

E go better!

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by highmood(m): 7:23am On Mar 28, 2016
Kachikwu should resign while the minister of petroleum remains in office right? In as much as I expect the best of any government, i think the statement credited to tinubu is just funny and hypocritical of him. What stops tinubu as the leader of APC to ask the minister of petroleum "PMB" to resign? I think those who think Tinubu has the gut is mistaken; he should direct his boldness to the minister of petroleum-the President if he believes heaven will not fall. And for those that supports Tinubu on this are just foolishly bold as he his. APC and some of their supporters abhor the truth while calling for Kachikwu resignation. This same people fail to see the lies of lai Mohammed instead remain mutes about whether he resigns of not.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by Pavarottii(m): 7:24am On Mar 28, 2016
I av said it, PDP don't need to oppose APC. They are opposing themselves already.

Nigerians are already seeing their incompetence crystal clear like Meth.

PDP should just focus on their house and gather themselves together and av a successful convention.

And watch how PDP will start sweeping elections across the country an eventually take over the Senate.

God bless Nigeria.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by lashout1: 7:25am On Mar 28, 2016
Jaga is angry that he came out plain, nd lik a political statements
Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by possibilita(m): 7:25am On Mar 28, 2016
Am tired sef

1 Like

Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by Decibel: 7:26am On Mar 28, 2016
A 'technocrat' to resign?
Apc: Opposition ruling party cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Presidency Counters Tinubu On Kachikwu, Fuel Scarcity by iambrafia231: 7:26am On Mar 28, 2016
Tinubu seem to always be in the side of Nigerians.
Diplomacy dictates we don't say things that will aggravate the already difficult conditions even the truth.

Kachikwu is a learner and he must learn to respect the masses.

16 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Okorocha Presents Honours Awards To President Buhari- Pics / Ganduje Seizes Emir Sanusi’s N250m Land, Pays N4.5m Compensation- Daily Nigerian / APC Reconstructing Lagos Guber Election As "War" Between Igbo & Yoruba - Soyombo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.