Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,084 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy (20224 Views)

10 Popular Yoruba Actors And Their Wives (Photos) / Yoruba Actors And Their Lovely Wives (Photos) / Top 14 Yoruba Actors You Never Knew Are Not Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Omotayor123(f): 7:51am On Mar 28, 2016
K
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by lordsharks(m): 7:51am On Mar 28, 2016
They tink they ain't good in English
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Baroba(m): 7:52am On Mar 28, 2016
People have freedom to watch what the like, it's not for her to decide who has better actors.. Its a free world out there, learn to deal with it...
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Nobody: 7:52am On Mar 28, 2016
I dont know why dis lady is complaining,must you associate yoruba movies with the wack nollywood films
yorubas started acting intelligent stage drama,movies even before all these blood money movie script started.

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Nikkyparadise(m): 7:53am On Mar 28, 2016
didnt come here to comment
only came to say

"I NO WELL OOOOH"
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by osamaBUSH(m): 7:54am On Mar 28, 2016
Some People no even get beta problems 4 dis lyf.
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Nobody: 7:57am On Mar 28, 2016
bumi10:
Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "illiterates" - Mercy Aigbe Laments

On Sunday, March 20, 2016, Nollywood actress, Mercy Aigbe Gentry, reacted to a This Day Style cover, which omitted her name as one of Nollywood best dressed. In confusion, her response led to people addressing the existing gap between Yoruba actors and English speaking movie industry. In a recent interview with Punch, the actress addressed the issue.

Mercy Aigbe spoke on the discrimination in Nollywood, Yoruba actors seen as illiterates, and Yoruba movie genres having better actors.

Read excerpts from interview below;

On reason behind discrimination against Yoruba movie practitioners;

I really don’t know why and it has been on for a very long time. However, we have started to get better recognition unlike what obtained in the industry four years ago. The gap is already being bridged and I think it is only a matter of time. I think we Yoruba actors also need to let people know that we are also a part of Nollywood and demand to be respected like our English counterparts.

On Yoruba movie genre having better actors:

Our counterparts in the English genre have always had fantastic stories and actors. I think Nollywood should be one and devoid of any form of disparity or segregation. The term Nollywood in my opinion means movies made in Nigeria irrespective of the medium. I am also featuring in a Hausa movie which will be released soon.

On why Yoruba actors are tagged illiterates: - complete interview @ http://www.exlinklodge.com/2016/03/nollywood-discriminate-against-yoruba.html

cc lalasticlala seun mynd44
Yoruba films ends only in south west

10 Likes

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by laviecontinue: 7:58am On Mar 28, 2016
Ororo no dey fade oba no dey go tranfer! grin grin grin
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Nikkyparadise(m): 8:00am On Mar 28, 2016
All ds yourba ppl seff wae no sabi act

gerrahere jorrr

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by opribo(m): 8:00am On Mar 28, 2016
Who is she what outstanding thing or award has she won for Nigeria to require noticing her

Everybody just want to be a celebrity or a star without working for it. The fact that you featured in one or two flicks does not make you a star
To be a star you must do daring things ordinary people are afraid to do and people will talk about it. You don't become a star by playing one ordinary role anybody out there can do.

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by oshaosha2014(m): 8:02am On Mar 28, 2016
illiterates or not, but they do their job well, they got talent, and they are nollywood.
missdebs:
eerm, actually most of you are illiterates. regardless, we must learn to tolerate everyone in this country.
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by mamaafrik(m): 8:14am On Mar 28, 2016
kimond101:
That is life.
Personally I prefer watching a yoruba movies to English movies
There are loads of very interesting Yoruba movies with great story line and also very stupid ones aswell
sincerly i love the humour they always embed in t heir movies, if the yoruba peeps culd work more on their quality and seeting settings,train better in film making and work on their spoken english,then they be a two edged sword,they'll surpass their english counterparts and be a source of envy,you dont wana discriminate against the likes of shobowale,funmi ajayi,omotola bukky wright,kelani,kunle afolayans because they have quality ,content and they can take you on a journey in film acting.
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Nobody: 8:15am On Mar 28, 2016
mercy aigbe, Nollywood is an Igbo creation, that started with Igbo speaking films and actors e.g- Living in Bondage,Nneka the serpent girl etc Until it was changed to English speaking inorder to accomodate actors from Other tribes.
Thats the main reason Yorubawood came out but Nollywood is ahead of it and a global brand and 3rd largest in the world.
There is no descrimination in it, Igbo Movie Producers have used Mercy Johnson a lot in their films, she is a kogi lady. Ini edo, Omotala, Nse ikpe Etim, Olu Jacob, Kate henshaw etc are NON Igbos that have excelled in the Igbo Created Nollywood.
Mercy aigbe, stop this whinning.

19 Likes

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by noblegrex: 8:16am On Mar 28, 2016
missdebs:
eerm, actually most of you are illiterates. regardless, we must learn to tolerate everyone in this country.
says who.
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Niyinficient(m): 8:19am On Mar 28, 2016
Destined2win:
This woman's complaint is getting boring...ah.ah angry. Your pix wasn't there. We yaff hear you embarassed

Does she want to tell me that she dresses better than all other Yoruba actresses yet her complaints have not ceased on the internet.

This kinda person can fume and fret for Africa

Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! Just shut up!

Undoubtedly, she was d best dressed female, everyone attested to dat after d red carpet shit. Why wil This Day omit her when rag-wearing dakore, mermaid-looking Genevive and co could make d front cover?

I don't watch yoruba movies (xcept their comic ones) bt I think Mercy is right.
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Godsonkemz(m): 8:19am On Mar 28, 2016
As long as non yoruba speaking viewers finds it hard to understand the message, the whole content can't be regarded as standard. How could i judge your performance when i can't understand ur language. But everything on igbo nollywood is scripted and played in english so as carry everyone along not just igbos. So Mercy Aigbe should stop ranting out of emotional sentiments.

5 Likes

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Greenback: 8:27am On Mar 28, 2016
Khaki aint leather.....well so i heard hehe..

K lemme help'em out...they shud call off the bluff of nollywood n tag off as sophiscatewood..
na yok,o.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by amiskurie(m): 8:28am On Mar 28, 2016
missdebs:
Are u sound in the head?
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Krismart(m): 8:32am On Mar 28, 2016
What of Hausa actors?
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by hucienda: 8:33am On Mar 28, 2016
magicminister:
A good actress/actor should have the ability to appeal to numerous audience.

Even Hollywood actors learn new languages when they want to act as a non-English speaker. They learn new accent and sometimes even add or reduce some weight!
The Yoruba actors/actresses need to STOP WHINING about discrimination.
They are the ones discriminating themselves by not making effort to have cross-over appeal.

Omotola is one of the biggest actress in Nigeria. She has numerous yoruba movies to her name and numerous English movies to her name and she has even acted as an igbo girl.

EoD

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by winniz: 8:34am On Mar 28, 2016
Niyinficient:

Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! Just shut up!

Undoubtedly, she was d best dressed female, everyone attested to dat after d red carpet shit. Why wil This Day omit her when rag-wearing dakore, mermaid-looking Genevive and co could make d front cover?

I don't watch yoruba movies (xcept their comic ones) bt I think Mercy is right.

You people are liars, this woman was never close to the best dressed at that event.
She looked more like a Drag Queen with her excessive make up and her terrible hair style even the dress was even bigger than her. She was not all that!

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by SeunWedsLinda(m): 8:35am On Mar 28, 2016
missdebs:
that was quite harsh
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Niyinficient(m): 8:40am On Mar 28, 2016
winniz:

You people are liars, this woman was never close to the best dressed at that event.
She looked more like a Drag Queen with her excessive make up and her terrible hair style even the dress was even bigger than her. She was not all that!

Pls,wat do u mean by 'You People'?

SMH....y do people like u allow tribal and sectional sentiments to clot ur logical reasoning? Cos She's a Yoruba actress now, you've placed a 'You people' tag on her......olofo ni e mehn.....
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Hemanwel(m): 8:43am On Mar 28, 2016
Like someone pointed out above,Yoruba movies only end in the South West.You want to be recognized in the whole country yet you feature more in movies that are only watched by a particular region.E nor possible nah!
How can you sell a Yoruba movie (with terrible translations) to that trader in Awka or the business man in Uyo or the elites in the north - let alone selling it outside the shores of the country?

My lecturerer once told us back then in the University that he travelled to Freetown for a seminar.He said when the Sierra-Leonians discovered that he came from Nigeria, they began asking him: "where is Mama Gee?", " how is Mama Gee?",blah blah.This is cos of the MAMA GEE movie they'd seen and understood.

The Yoruba movie producers really need to get their act together and produce quality movies with good storylines,quality pictures, perfect translations and get more professional actors/actresses involved.

12 Likes

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by sheunsheun(m): 8:45am On Mar 28, 2016
missdebs:
Smh, Igbo/Hausa pt 2geda ain't as educated as the Yorubas. So madam leave the sentiment.
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by 2sexycom(m): 8:50am On Mar 28, 2016
Adaure4ever:
mercy aigbe, Nollywood is an Igbo creation, that started with Igbo speaking films and actors e.g- Living in Bondage,Nneka the serpent girl etc Until it was changed to English speaking inorder to accomodate actors from Other tribes.
Thats the main reason Yorubawood came out but Nollywood is ahead of it and a global brand and 3rd largest in the world.
There is no descrimination in it, Igbo Movie Producers have used Mercy Johnson a lot in their films, she is a kogi lady. Ini edo, Omotala, Nse ikpe Etim, Olu Jacob, Kate henshaw etc are NON Igbos that have excelled in the Igbo Created Nollywood.
Mercy aigbe, stop this whinning.
hmmm... your love for anything igbo is extraordinary. I hope you don't make comments laced with ethnic bigotry sometimes but speak based on logic. So far, thought, I haven't seen anything to see you as one. keep it up.
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by winniz: 8:53am On Mar 28, 2016
Niyinficient:

Pls,wat do u mean by 'You People'?

SMH....y do people like u allow tribal and sectional sentiments to clot ur logical reasoning? Cos She's a Yoruba actress now, you've placed a 'You people' tag on her......olofo ni e mehn.....

There is no tribal sentiment attached to my comment, this woman has been the one tribalizing this whole issue.
Even most of people who praised her initially, after looking closely at her and the outfit later agreed they were fooled by you hypers.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Chukazu: 8:53am On Mar 28, 2016
Godsonkemz:
As long as non yoruba speaking viewers finds it hard to understand the message, the whole content can't be regarded as standard. How could i judge your performance when i can't understand ur language. But everything on igbo nollywood is scripted and played in english so as carry everyone along not just igbos. So Mercy Aigbe should stop ranting out of emotional sentiments.

the very things you listed are actually benefit to the yoruba films and disadvantages to the so called Nollywood filmmakers.
Nollywood start with igbo language films today we have abandoned our language to sound like Oyibo, while the yoruba segment has maintained it language and culture.

film making is cultural projection, not imitation. how many bollywood film get don in english language? the razzmatazz of Nollywood is killing igbo culture and language. the earliest films done in igbo language like," living in bandage and rattlesnake " are still best.

why was multichoice unable to create igbo language entertainment channel?
"all that glitter is not gold "
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by SORTER: 8:56am On Mar 28, 2016
GBAGAUN! @ doned on you...LOL.
emmanuelcrawler:
U need to ask your self first, y has d presidency not condemned the agatu killing and yet went ahead spilling trash about rivers, are they not Nigerians. Maybe it hasn't doned on u dat NAIJA AREA is a scam shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by fireforfire: 8:57am On Mar 28, 2016
But honestly 60% of dem r too razz n illiterate ish

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Matri10(m): 9:01am On Mar 28, 2016
Mercy dis wil give u a rethink. A professor in English Language n a professor in Yoruba language, who among dem has more international recognition?
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Niyinficient(m): 9:05am On Mar 28, 2016
winniz:

There is no tribal sentiment attached to my comment, this woman has been the one tribalizing this whole issue.
Even most of people who praised her initially, after looking closely at her and the outfit later agreed they were fooled by you hypers.

Am not a fashion freak who will go about analysing some ladies' outfit ...bt from the interviews and comments and reports and reviews dat I read and saw abt d event...she was the top of d pick....perhaps the reason ur 'most people' are rescinding and withdrawing their comments and appraisals is due to why d lady square-calling.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ugliest Nigeria Male Musicians( Davido Tops Da List) / Seyi Shay, Praiz, Denrele, Others Dazzle At Nigerian Teen Choice Award In FCT / Yvonne & Tonto Are Cool, But I Want A God Fearing Woman - Iyanya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.