Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,928 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:40 AM

Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) (65149 Views)

Sade Adu's Transgender Son Undergoes Breast Removal Surgery (Photos) / Izzak Theo, Sade Adu's Transgender Son Develops Facial Hair / Sade Adu's transitioning Lesbian Daughter: Before & After Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by chimere66: 11:09am On Mar 28, 2016
Meet The Only Nigerian Musician That Have Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos)

Brief history(her Nigerian origin): Four-time Grammy award winner, Sade Adu, pictured above being carried by her dad, Adebisi Adu in 1959. With them are Sade’s mum, Anne and older brother, Banji.

Helen Folasade Adu, known professionally as Sade Adu or simply Sade, was born on January 16, 1959 in Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria. Her parents, Adebisi Adu, a Nigerian lecturer in economics of Yoruba background, and Anne Hayes, an English district nurse, met in London, married in 1955 and later moved to Nigeria.

Her parents separated, however, and Anne Hayes returned to England, taking four-year-old Sade and older brother Banji with her to live with their grandparents outside of Colchester, Essex.

Brief music history: Helen Folasade Adu, OBE (born 16 January 1959), known professionally as Sade Adu or simply Sade is a Nigerian English singer-songwriter,composer,arranger and record producer. With members Paul S. Denman, Andrew Hale, and Stuart Matthewman, she gained worldwide fame as the lead vocalist of the English band Sade. Following a brief stint as a fashion designer of men's clothing and part-time model Adu began backup singing for the band Pride. Growing attention from record labels led her, along with other fellow band members, to separate from Pride and form the band Sade. Following a record deal with Epic Records the band released their debut album Diamond Life(1984). The album sold over six million copies, becoming one of the top-selling debut recordings of the 1980s, and the best-selling debut ever by a British female vocalist.

Following the release of the band's debut album they went on to release a string of multi-platinum selling albums. Their follow up Promise was released in 1985 and peaked at number-one in the UK Albums Chart, the US Billboard 200, and went on to sell four million copies in the US. Sade would later go on to make her acting debut in the British film, Absolute Beginners (1986), before the release of the band's albums,Stronger Than Pride (1988) and Love Deluxe (1992). After the release of the fifth album, Lovers Rock (2000), the band embarked on a ten-year hiatus in which Sade raised her daughter. Following the hiatus the band returned with their sixth album, Soldier of Love (2010) which became a commercial success and won a Grammy Award.

Grammy Awards: She won the award in 1986 for Best New Artist,1994 for her song 'No Ordinary Love',2002 for 'Lovers Rock' and in 2011 for 'Soldier of Love'.Apart from Grammy Award,she has won several other awards like BRIT,American Music Awards and nominated in several others like MTV Video Music Awards,MOBO Awards,Billboard Music Awards,BET Awards,American Music Awards and more

Source: http://www.trezzyblog.com/2016/03/meet-sade-aduthe-nigerian-born-british.html

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Destined2win: 11:13am On Mar 28, 2016
Does she know the capital of Nigeria?

120 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by cruzita(f): 11:15am On Mar 28, 2016
Destined2win:
yes ,she knows its ghana

256 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Tolexander: 11:19am On Mar 28, 2016
She isn't a Nigerian singer but British.

Just like saying Eusebio was a Mozambique football player.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Nobody: 11:30am On Mar 28, 2016
^^^ How is she not a Nigerian with all her biography you read up there?! Even with the pic of her Nigerian father? Some people sha!

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by jmichlins(m): 11:32am On Mar 28, 2016
cruzita:
yes ,she knows its ghana
no she thinks its ethiopia. Meanwhile those two tribes will have a field day on this thread

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Islamicpope(m): 11:53am On Mar 28, 2016
She's not Nigerian anymore, but British-American. Get it ops. No Nigerian has ever won d Grammy for d record.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Tolexander: 11:56am On Mar 28, 2016
modelmike7:
^^^ How is she not a Nigerian with all her biography you read up there?! Some people sha!
tell me how Balotelli is a Ghanaian!

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by michiyke2003(m): 11:56am On Mar 28, 2016
Somebody should help me tell buhari that we don't need change again,we need transformation,and please explain to him what transformation means before he will hang us on electric transformer. Mr lia mohammed should also be educate about transformation before he will lie about how buhari has been making plan to import electric transformer as our new need. As for professor osibanjo,please help me tell him that transformation is not about promising without actualising. We don't need change again. #Nigeriasaynotochange#

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by badaru911: 11:58am On Mar 28, 2016
h
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by badaru911: 11:58am On Mar 28, 2016
she used to come to 9ja in the 90`s when her grandma was still alive in Ibadan. Her grandma used to sell herbs..

15 Likes

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Nobody: 11:58am On Mar 28, 2016
Tolexander:
tell me how Balotelli is a Ghanaian!
. . . . Well, no need for us arguing this Monday morning bro. I understand my point and you understand yours also. EOD. . . Happy Holiday!

13 Likes

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Lattop(m): 12:28pm On Mar 28, 2016
If She's Not From the West Maybe She'll Be A Nigeria

Who Knows

8 Likes

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Nobody: 1:56pm On Mar 28, 2016
Op Sade Adu isn't the only Nigerian to have won a Grammy. Adele - whose ancestry can be traced to Ogbomosho has also won a couple of Grammys too.

63 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Nobody: 3:23pm On Mar 28, 2016
If she no dey popular now, no one will write her history.

100 years after, people will still write about me.

1 Like

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 28, 2016
LastMumu:
Op Sade Adu isn't the only Nigerian to have won a Grammy. Adele - whose ancestry can be traced to Ogbomosho has also won a couple of Grammys too.

Me sef dey ponder that name Adele..

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by gabylzy(m): 3:52pm On Mar 28, 2016
Una jst wan claim the lady.. 2 become us....9ja artiste gangan no smell grammy na the event dem go jst dey attend

any dude dat quotes me...will seriously repel women but attracted 2 men

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by UIA04(f): 4:05pm On Mar 28, 2016
Islamicpope:
She's not Nigerian anymore, but British-American. Get it ops. No Nigerian has ever won d Grammy for d record.
Kevin olusola of Pentatonix though he did in a group

7 Likes

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Nobody: 5:04pm On Mar 28, 2016
Wow, I believe in my dreams

1 Like

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Okworigeorge(m): 5:06pm On Mar 28, 2016
Same way Rooney is Nigerian abi... Maybe next week will be "meet the only Nigerian to win the Ballon d or_Messi"

3 Likes

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Nobody: 5:06pm On Mar 28, 2016
LastMumu:
hahaha ogbo what?

7 Likes

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Nobody: 5:06pm On Mar 28, 2016
undecided

10 Likes

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by free2ryhme: 5:06pm On Mar 28, 2016
Thanks for the information
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by KayTash(m): 5:06pm On Mar 28, 2016
Mjpwgdvdjm
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by rawtouch: 5:07pm On Mar 28, 2016
Nice to meet you
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Revolva(m): 5:08pm On Mar 28, 2016
Is sade adu nigerian citizen or UK foolish thread

4 Likes

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by kulobyno: 5:08pm On Mar 28, 2016
X still havnt found petrol for my car. The que at nnpc station is about a kilometers long. Diesel users are having a field day in other stations undecided

2 Likes

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 28, 2016
For Reverad's sake I didn't know that someone in Nigeria has ever won a Grammy award o! May Reverad prolong your life in Eartum's name I pray.
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by oncallplus: 5:09pm On Mar 28, 2016
cruzita:
yes ,she knows its ghana
cruzita u again... U comment on every post u dey try ooooo

3 Likes

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by hadura29(m): 5:10pm On Mar 28, 2016
cruzita:
yes ,she knows its ghana

Weyrey grin

3 Likes

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Naff24(f): 5:10pm On Mar 28, 2016
In Mr 9ce's voice....Categorically I'm the best mentally
No gainsaying I'm the cutest physically
Don't doubt me
I go bring home grammy
Incredibe, remarkable, unbeatable, palatable, reliable
Gudugudu, akinkanju, arakangudu, okunrin ogun

Just chill Boda 9ce talk say him go break d record grin grin grin

16 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

DJ Cuppy Visits Her Father, Femi Otedola's Office, Check Out His Phones / Cossy Orjiakor Licks Her Man Face On The Streets Of Paris / Top 10 Richest Pastors In Africa And Net Worth 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.