Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,529 members, 7,801,473 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:45 PM

Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? (93353 Views)

Best Possible Or Possible Best, Which Is Correct Or Most Correct / Which Is Correct; Eat Orange Or Drink Orange / Is The Lecture Holding? Will The Lecture Be Held? Which Is Correct? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by HARDBOI: 4:09pm On Mar 29, 2016
pcicero:

Why introduce a tribal slur into this?
It's not a joking matter bro and I have reported your comment.

u have reported me?..ok thanks

but do u also report ur brothers who i read their comments here everytime and day abusing and mocking other tribes? undecided
if u havent then u are also a tribalist...THINK ABOUT IT!.
BY THE WAY.. BANNING DONT KILL ANYONE SO I AINT SCARED OF IT..AS LONG AS I SPOKE THE TRUTH!. cool
cheers!
Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by pcicero(m): 4:15pm On Mar 29, 2016
HARDBOI:

u have reported me?..ok thanks

but do u also report ur brothers who i read their comments here everytime and day abusing and mocking other tribes? undecided
if u havent then u are also a tribalist...THINK ABOUT IT!.
BY THE WAY.. BANNING DONT KILL ANYONE SO I AINT SCARED OF IT..AS LONG AS I SPOKE THE TRUTH!. cool
cheers!

I don't have the luxury of time to engage in any back and forth battle with you.

You can engage others in your tribal slugfest. Your comment was an unprovoked attack and I made it known to you.
I would have expected a reasonable person to delete the offensive part.

I can see you are set in your ways.

Keep fanning the embers.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by HARDBOI: 4:22pm On Mar 29, 2016
pcicero:

I don't have the luxury of time to engage in any back and forth battle with you.

You can engage others in your tribal slugfest. Your comment was an unprovoked attack and I made it known to you.
I would have expected a reasonable person to delete the offensive part.

I can see you are set in your ways.

Keep fanning the embers.

yes reporting me should mean that u dont like tribal comments.
so when u are doing ur report work u have to be fair doing it.
u cant tell me u dont read those tribal comments from ur brothers here daily
but do u report them?..nop.. im even sure u click the LIKE button after reading them!..
tell me if that doesnt make u a tribalist too.... ITS JUST A SIMPLE LOGIC

1 Like

Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by orogodoganyin(m): 7:25pm On Mar 29, 2016
HARDBOI:

who told u it has nothing to do will intelligence? undecided
if u are intelligent enuff u should know a wrong grammar when u hear one.

besides all yorubas i'v met have H-FACTOR issues... i aint hating
they add H where it is not..
and remove it where it is

u can't have met many decent Yorubas thn
Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Mar 29, 2016
uhalauju:

U r ryt my dear friend.
The rule isn't absolute. The simple logic to use is dis: where d pronunciation of H is silent, u use 'an' but where it is not silent, u use 'a'.
You cannot give lessons in grammar when you write like an infant.

Atlantian:
Both are correct.
Thank you.
Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by butanep(m): 8:46pm On Mar 29, 2016
uhalauju:
The correct answer is ... 'An honest man'
Reason...The use of 'an' comes up when d next word after 'an' starts with a vowel. However, the case of the word 'honest' is an exception because phonetically in english,the word honest is pronounced as 'onest'. The H is silent technically making a vowel the it's first letter in terms of pronunciation.
Note: but the H must be there when written.

Another example is 'HEIR', the H is silent when pronounced, and becos d next letter after H is a vowel, the appropriate one to use shld be 'an' dats based on my earlier explanation.

I love your explicit explanation. You are among the few ladies with beauty and brains.

You will make a good lecturer.
Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by MisterDreamz(m): 9:18pm On Mar 29, 2016
Hydriss:
so you mean "an house" is correct?
In English,there are "exceptions" and "selectional restrictions ". Dr Akande

Does every past tense follow the " ed" pattern? No! Yet it is the basic rule.
I stated the rule up there because it applies to the question.
Thanks!
Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by professore(m): 9:52pm On Mar 29, 2016
matrix199:
A' is correct. The only 'h' words(n) that proceed 'An' is 'hour', 'hair' and 'heir'. When two or more vowels go side by side, prefixed by 'h' letter, and suffixed by a constant letter, the 'an' article is used. The spoken phrase 'a honest man' actually sounds like 'an honest', thus quite a lot of people assume the right indefinite article is 'an'. But it's not.

The correct phrase, in my opinion, is 'a honest man'
If this is true,then a lot of problems are solved already
Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by uhalauju(f): 10:45pm On Mar 29, 2016
[quote author=BoboYekini post=44230109] You cannot give lessons in grammar when you write like an infant

Criticisms from pple like are welcomed. It makes one better only if it's constructive enof. cheers
Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by uhalauju(f): 10:47pm On Mar 29, 2016
BoboYekini:
You cannot give lessons in grammar when you write like an infant.

Thank you.

Criticisms from pple like are welcomed. It makes one better only
if it's constructive enof. cheers
Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by uhalauju(f): 10:52pm On Mar 29, 2016
butanep:

I love your explicit explanation. You are among the few ladies with beauty and brains.

You will make a good lecturer.

Tnx for d compliment.
Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by placeofallure(f): 3:11am On Mar 30, 2016
matrix199:
A' is correct. The only 'h' words(n) that proceed 'An' is 'hour', 'hair' and 'heir'. When two or more vowels go side by side, prefixed by 'h' letter, and suffixed by a constant letter, the 'an' article is used. The spoken phrase 'a honest man' actually sounds like 'an honest', thus quite a lot of people assume the right indefinite article is 'an'. But it's not.

The correct phrase, in my opinion, is 'a honest man'

Very wrong sir! The use of indefinite articles: "a" and "an" is informed by a number of reasons.

1. We use "a" for words which begin with consonants like: a car, a bottle, a pen etc

We also use "a" for vowels which sound like consonant E.g. a university, a union, a European etc

2. We use "an" for words which begin with vowels. E.g an aeroplane, an orange, an egg etc

We also use "an" for consonant words which have the vowel sounds, particularly the silent "h" and we have just 3 words that fall into this category. E.g. an honest man, an hour and an honour. Every other "h" is sounded hence we have uses as: a hospital, a house, a hunter etc.
Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by placeofallure(f): 3:33am On Mar 30, 2016
HARDBOI:

u are the dumbest foool here..Look at what u sayin. grin grin
so bcoz yorubas dont have 'H' in their language u dont know where to put A or AN? undecided undecided..lmao grin grin
then why did u go school if u cant correct ur wrong...
how to use CONSONANT AND VOWEL sound is first taught in primary school
it means the years u spent in school were waste...MOFO

Speech defects by way of thick accent due to mother tongue interference is particularly common among speakers of English as second language. It doesn't deplete or diminish their intelligence in anyway.

FYI, you can make your points known without going tribal, don't always travel that road. Every major tribe in Nigeria has its accent inadequacies as far as spoken English is concerned.
Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by tosyne2much(m): 4:14am On Mar 30, 2016
Hydriss:
so you mean "an house" is correct?
hahaha lmao cheesy
Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by matrix199(m): 5:38am On Mar 30, 2016
placeofallure:

Very wrong sir! The use of indefinite articles: "a" and "an" is informed by a number of reasons.

1. We use "a" for words which begin with consonants like: a car, a bottle, a pen etc

We also use "a" for vowels which sound like consonant E.g. a university, a union, a European etc

2. We use "an" for words which begin with vowels. E.g an aeroplane, an orange, an egg etc

We also use "an" for consonant words which have the vowel sounds, particularly the silent "h" and we have just 3 words that fall into this category. E.g. an honest man, an hour and an honour. Every other "h" is sounded hence we have uses as: a hospital, a house, a hunter etc.

Swtie, u totally misconstrued my post. I said the 'an' article is used for three 'h' words(n), hour, hair, and heir. Since it's hard transcribing words, it's going to be difficult to transcribe 'h' words, in order to get the actual sound, an easier way is going by a rule. Whenever two or more vowel letters go side by side, prefixed by 'H', and suffixed by 'any consonant', the 'an' article is used. Other 'H' words(n), the 'a' article is used.

A honest man(though wrong pronunciation and sound similarity have made so many assume it's 'an honest man').

A house
A horse
A hose
A hill
A horn
A honest man
An hour
An heir,
Etc.
Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by djkirkoo2(m): 5:46am On Mar 30, 2016
The "H" is silent and that's why it's called an honest man
Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by PhantomD(m): 7:56am On Mar 30, 2016
How hard can this be, "an honest man" is correct. it's been taught since primary school, the H in honest is silent. just as the U in university is pronounced as "yu", so it's a university.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by saktoy83: 11:58am On Mar 30, 2016
Why are yu guys wana kill yursef because of a foreign language? So far yu understand the meaning of what d speaker is saying, glory be to God. Wether "a" or "an" understanding matters most. Eh guys! Stop ds insult. And most of yu know nothing abt d politics of Nigeria. Here yu are, dissipating energy on phonetical articles of foreign gays.
Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by uhalauju(f): 11:40am On Apr 04, 2016
[quote author=BoboYekini post=44230109] You cannot give lessons in grammar when you write like an infant

It's cos of pple like u dat I try to simplify my English.
U don't use vocabularies in simplifying a difficult scenario like dat.
But it seems u still did not comprehend even after I elucidated.
Btw...'big grammer' has never helped any body. Ask Obahiagbon and he will tell u. Cheers!!
Re: Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Apr 04, 2016
[quote author=uhalauju post=44394893][/quote] Big grammar don help me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 6 Most Beautiful University Campuses In Nigeria (photos) / A Photo Of A 9-Year-Old Saudi Boy Carrying 3 School Bags On His Back Goes Viral / FG Okays “Safe Reopening” Of Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.