Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,662 members, 7,801,914 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:43 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10395) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11529109 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10392) (10393) (10394) (10395) (10396) (10397) (10398) ... (16094) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 5:14pm On Mar 29, 2021
charlesemeka85:
Former England U21 skipper Nedum Onuoha has claimed that he did not turn down the opportunity to play for the Nigeria national teams, and has explained why he didn't accept a call-up to play for the Super Eagles fourteen years ago.

Born in Warri but raised in England, the Manchester City academy product was contacted by the Nigeria Football Federation in the weeks leading up to the 2010 World Cup but he shunned their advances.

Former Super Eagles manager Shuaibu Amodu also tried to persuade the dual-eligible center back to switch his allegiance from England to Nigeria in 2009 but was unsuccessful.

German manager Berti Vogts, who coached the Super Eagles 2007-2008, named Onuoha in his first provisional squad in 2007, only for the player to decline the invitation.

In an Instagram Live session with our colleagues Team Nigeria UK, Onuoha explained : "For the first five years of my career, I played for the U20s and U21s of England and the only time I got a call up for Nigeria in my career was from Berti Vogts when he was manager and this was in 2010.

"I got a call up from him saying he wanted me for the AFCON and at that time Roberto Mancini had just become manager at Man City and I was out of his plans and Berti was calling just before the turn of the year.

"This was the first time it happened that I wasn’t part of the first team. I didn’t want to leave and I was worried about leaving for AFCON and having nothing when I come back because people say this is a shop window, it raises your profile and for some people it’s not the case."

Onuoha revealed that he is proud of his Nigerian heritage and to buttress his point, the 34-year-old sensationally claimed that he never sang England's national team whilst on Young Lions duty.

"At the time I was 24 years old, this is what I’m thinking cause I was honest with Berti that I wanted to do it but it wasn’t just the right time.

"From that exact moment, nobody from Nigeria called me again and I was hearing from everywhere that I had turned Nigeria to beg for England.

" But if you look at it anything the media has said wasn’t true and to add to it I know my identity and I was honored to represent England but anytime I got to play for England I would never sing the anthem because I know my home is somewhere else.

"So I appreciated what I was doing and I was given because I’ve the British passport but I always have the green passport and playing for Nigeria is something I’ve always wanted to d," Onuoha concluded.

What's the need for this shalaye-ing grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kizzmyazz: 5:20pm On Mar 29, 2021
chrisooblog:
Throwback to 1976 Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone at the Lagos National Stadium. Finished 6-2 in favor of Nigeria.

https://twitter.com/LASRABofficial/status/1376475044113682433?s=20

See pitch
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lloydtruth: 5:36pm On Mar 29, 2021
What Egypt is doing to Comoros is what I expect the Super Eagles to be doing to these minors.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:46pm On Mar 29, 2021
Paul Onuachu's every touch vs Benin Republic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBvJy9MoO7Q

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 5:49pm On Mar 29, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

Bros u harsh o. After all the pikin of the President of Liberia dey play for USA. Those things happen.

Nigerians are always bitter when any good player reject them

You can all see how they talk down of a player with 15 epl goals last season due to bitterness

Shebi ebere EZE is better than iwobi and he is the best thing after slice bread according to many people here ,Wait till he manages to play for England grin

Imagine buhari son as a footballer and he plays for another country as Timothy Weah

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 5:49pm On Mar 29, 2021
Every game is different and the match have no meaning to comoros they just qualified for their first AFCON few days ago
lloydtruth:
What Egypt is doing to Comoros is what I expect the Super Eagles to be doing to this minors.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 6:04pm On Mar 29, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Nigerians are always bitter when any good player reject them

You can all see how they talk down of a player with 15 epl goals last season due to bitterness

Shebi ebere EZE is better than iwobi and he is the best thing after slice bread according to many people here ,Wait till he manages to play for England grin

Imagine buhari son as a footballer and he plays for another country as Timothy Weah
Dem go impeach Buhari now!!! Tim Weah not only the son of the sitting president but son of the only African to ever win World's Best footballer.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 6:59pm On Mar 29, 2021
do you know I'm just today years old before I knew it was "dedicated to Rashidi Yekini" that Mikel wrote on his vest. After all these years smiley

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:03pm On Mar 29, 2021
chrisooblog:
do you know I'm just today years old before I knew it was "dedicated to Rashidi Yekini" that Mikel wrote on his vest. After all these years smiley

But Mikel sef carry NPFL mindset. Why didn't he just tell the kit man to write that boldly grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lloydtruth: 7:03pm On Mar 29, 2021
isan:
Every game is different and the match have no meaning to comoros they just qualified for their first AFCON few days ago
Same thing should happen to Lesotho tomorrow

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:04pm On Mar 29, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

Dem go impeach Buhari now!!! Tim Weah not only the son of the sitting president but son of the only African to ever win World's Best footballer.

It depends how good he is. If he is average I will be happy that the coach won't be put under pressure to select him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:13pm On Mar 29, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

You say dem go impeach buhari
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 7:17pm On Mar 29, 2021
Sure we must use them do warm up for world cup qualifier in may
lloydtruth:

Same thing should happen to Lesotho tomorrow
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:45pm On Mar 29, 2021
Oh is it getting hot in here? grin $20k per player if they beat Benin shocked gun fit comot for field tomorrow ooo cheesy

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:27pm On Mar 29, 2021
BascoVanVeli:
Oh is it getting hot in here? grin $20k per player if they beat Benin shocked gun fit comot for field tomorrow ooo cheesy

Benin are in hot soup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 8:27pm On Mar 29, 2021
charlesemeka85:
Former England U21 skipper Nedum Onuoha has claimed that he did not turn down the opportunity to play for the Nigeria national teams, and has explained why he didn't accept a call-up to play for the Super Eagles fourteen years ago.

Born in Warri but raised in England, the Manchester City academy product was contacted by the Nigeria Football Federation in the weeks leading up to the 2010 World Cup but he shunned their advances.

Former Super Eagles manager Shuaibu Amodu also tried to persuade the dual-eligible center back to switch his allegiance from England to Nigeria in 2009 but was unsuccessful.

German manager Berti Vogts, who coached the Super Eagles 2007-2008, named Onuoha in his first provisional squad in 2007, only for the player to decline the invitation.

In an Instagram Live session with our colleagues Team Nigeria UK, Onuoha explained : "For the first five years of my career, I played for the U20s and U21s of England and the only time I got a call up for Nigeria in my career was from Berti Vogts when he was manager and this was in 2010.

"I got a call up from him saying he wanted me for the AFCON and at that time Roberto Mancini had just become manager at Man City and I was out of his plans and Berti was calling just before the turn of the year.

"This was the first time it happened that I wasn’t part of the first team. I didn’t want to leave and I was worried about leaving for AFCON and having nothing when I come back because people say this is a shop window, it raises your profile and for some people it’s not the case."

Onuoha revealed that he is proud of his Nigerian heritage and to buttress his point, the 34-year-old sensationally claimed that he never sang England's national team whilst on Young Lions duty.

"At the time I was 24 years old, this is what I’m thinking cause I was honest with Berti that I wanted to do it but it wasn’t just the right time.

"From that exact moment, nobody from Nigeria called me again and I was hearing from everywhere that I had turned Nigeria to beg for England.

" But if you look at it anything the media has said wasn’t true and to add to it I know my identity and I was honored to represent England but anytime I got to play for England I would never sing the anthem because I know my home is somewhere else.

"So I appreciated what I was doing and I was given because I’ve the British passport but I always have the green passport and playing for Nigeria is something I’ve always wanted to d," Onuoha concluded.

Bloody liar. Somebody that Idah Peterside was sent to speak with to come play for naija. He replied by saying he doesn't feel like a Nigerian. Wetin remain? Idah was so livid with anger on TV. He said if he ever mentions wanting to play for naija., he will swear for am naked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:37pm On Mar 29, 2021
You’re Wicked – Benin Republic Media Blast Super Eagles For Ending Their Eight Years Unbeaten Record At Home

by Odabi Precious.

The media In Benin Republic has tagged the Super Eagles as wicked and uncompromising for winning yesterday’s 2022 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers game 1-0.

Prior to the game, the Nigerian team booked their spot at the next year tournament after Sierra Leone 0-0 draw with Lesotho but Benin Republic needed a draw to seal passage.

Their plan was one kick away from happening before Paul Onuachu strike with what was virtually the last kick of the game to hand Nigeria a 1-0 in the third and final minute of time added on.

The goal also ended their unbeaten run at home which started since 2013 and has remained a source of pride to them in recent years. They were livid to lose it to a Nigerian team that has nothing at stake in the game.

“ Wicked Super Eagles End Squirrels Unbeaten Run”, one newspaper headline reads. Another had it’s front page headline this way “ Uncompromising Eagles End Squirrels Record For Fun”.

Highly respected Benin Republic media outlet La Nouvelle Tribune were also not left out tagging the Super Eagles as cruel for winning a game, which a draw would have seen both teams through.

“But how cruel these Nigerians are! They maintained the suspense in a match where they did not force their talent. Because, opposite, Michel Dussuyer, the Beninese coach has aligned a defensive team as if the objective were a draw. A result which would have suited both teams”, a section of an editorial reads.

https://www.thedabigal.com.ng/youre-wicked-benin-republic-media-blast-super-eagles-for-ending-their-eight-years-unbeaten-record-at-home/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:05pm On Mar 29, 2021
Subzero047:
Our left back spot is secure for the next 10 years
The freekick he executed in the closing stages of the game that got to Ndidi, who passed the ball backward in a tune to distabilize the squirrels' defense was artistically beautiful. I believe they must have put into practice that art in training before the match day. How the tricky method failed to result to a beautiful goal has not worn down the beauty of the freekick.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:05pm On Mar 29, 2021
Aguero will be leaving Man city at the end of the season

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Abusule007: 9:07pm On Mar 29, 2021
terzurum5:
You’re Wicked – Benin Republic Media Blast Super Eagles For Ending Their Eight Years Unbeaten Record At Home

by Odabi Precious.

The media In Benin Republic has tagged the Super Eagles as wicked and uncompromising for winning yesterday’s 2022 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers game 1-0.

Prior to the game, the Nigerian team booked their spot at the next year tournament after Sierra Leone 0-0 draw with Lesotho but Benin Republic needed a draw to seal passage.

Their plan was one kick away from happening before Paul Onuachu strike with what was virtually the last kick of the game to hand Nigeria a 1-0 in the third and final minute of time added on.

The goal also ended their unbeaten run at home which started since 2013 and has remained a source of pride to them in recent years. They were livid to lose it to a Nigerian team that has nothing at stake in the game.

“ Wicked Super Eagles End Squirrels Unbeaten Run”, one newspaper headline reads. Another had it’s front page headline this way “ Uncompromising Eagles End Squirrels Record For Fun”.

Highly respected Benin Republic media outlet La Nouvelle Tribune were also not left out tagging the Super Eagles as cruel for winning a game, which a draw would have seen both teams through.

“But how cruel these Nigerians are! They maintained the suspense in a match where they did not force their talent. Because, opposite, Michel Dussuyer, the Beninese coach has aligned a defensive team as if the objective were a draw. A result which would have suited both teams”, a section of an editorial reads.

https://www.thedabigal.com.ng/youre-wicked-benin-republic-media-blast-super-eagles-for-ending-their-eight-years-unbeaten-record-at-home/

See this people, they thought we'll be happy playing draw with dem, grin grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 9:14pm On Mar 29, 2021
Subzero047:
Hmmm..are u serious?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:15pm On Mar 29, 2021
Ejaria doing bits

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 10:01pm On Mar 29, 2021
Yup. Or what Algeria just finished doing to Botswana. Choi, that Algerian team is loaded and solid sha.

O pari

lloydtruth:
What Egypt is doing to Comoros is what I expect the Super Eagles to be doing to these minors.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:04pm On Mar 29, 2021
Several new monikers in here. I miss everything.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 10:06pm On Mar 29, 2021
I expect nothing short of 4 goals tommorow.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:34pm On Mar 29, 2021
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:48pm On Mar 29, 2021
Subzero047:

Best epl striker ever
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 10:49pm On Mar 29, 2021
SoftBrest:
Aribo had stomach upset in training and may not start tomorrow- Rohr
I like that guy Aribo

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 10:51pm On Mar 29, 2021
SoftBrest:
Aribo had stomach upset in training and may not start tomorrow- Rohr

Must be the nonsense they ate from that Ilashe restaurant grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 10:57pm On Mar 29, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Best epl striker ever
Where you wan put Henry and Suarez
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 10:57pm On Mar 29, 2021
Subzero047:
To Barca probably
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:07pm On Mar 29, 2021
terzurum5:

by Odabi Precious.

So Sierra Leone is no more in West Africa? Why would they expect such a dirty favor?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (10392) (10393) (10394) (10395) (10396) (10397) (10398) ... (16094) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Alfryd and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.