Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:17 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11181) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11584938 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11178) (11179) (11180) (11181) (11182) (11183) (11184) ... (16119) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:59am On Sep 11, 2021
MetalJigsaw:
In the space of how many years?

Which coach has\had more time? Tell me
Patience bros. Its the hand we are dealt..as fans we support, even if na my grandmama dem pick as top striker..we hope for the best and stay positive. We will smile in the end.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 8:18am On Sep 11, 2021
MetalJigsaw:
Trophies, not just qualification. It's been close to ten years since we won the AFCON.

Gernot Roth is handling one of the most talented squad in African football currently So he has no excuse whatsoever not winning at least one competition with it.

We want trophies!!

How many competitions has Rohr taken the team to? And which one should he have surely won but messed up?

You guys need reminding that since his arrival in 2016 these are his stats:

World cup qualification:
Played 8
Won 6
Drawn 2
Lost 0

AFCON qualification:
Played 13
Won 9
Drawn 3
Lost 1

Oh yes, let's remember again that with our 'abundant talents' we had failed to qualify for the last 2 AFCONs before his arrival and the world went on as normal.

In the tournaments proper we have lost to Croatia, Argentina, Madagascar (inconsequential game) and Algeria. All these teams were better than us man for man. Never mind whatever hype we were driving at the time.

Rohr has his negatives i.e not using friendlies to properly test our vast pool of players so we can all have a better assessment of what they can offer in green and white. And also sometimes being too cautious in his set-up and not reading the flow of games and making adjustments as well as we would like.

For his positives, he is in control of his team. Knowing the mentality of Nigerians this not an easy achievement trust me. There is discipline in the camp, no stories of any player insubordination or feeling bigger than the team etc like we used to hear. There is genuine team harmony and he has nurtured that.

Also the squads he selects are clearly based on merit. More so than any other time I have followed the Nigerian teams over the years. His match day selections may still draw criticisms for being cautious etc from most of us who have never sat in a dugout but in the end his results have mostly vindicated his selections.

I personally will give Rohr the next AFCON and World Cup before passing final judgement on his tenure. So far he has passed with flying colours although with some advisory comments at the bottom of his report card.

After the world cup we should get a hungry level headed replacement with a 5 year plan and objective to dominate the African scene.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 8:38am On Sep 11, 2021
To all mathematicians/statisticians in the house:

Would two wins against Central African Republic in November be enough to secure 3rd round qualification (I.e. we advance with two games to spare)?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 8:53am On Sep 11, 2021
Ppogbae:

Would two wins against Central African Republic in November be enough to secure 3rd round qualification (I.e. we advance with two games to spare)?

For the third time, we may qualify without calculator. This will be a new record. I feel our criticism of the coach is unwarranted. He's doing well.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 8:55am On Sep 11, 2021
wayodude:

How many competitions has Rohr taken the team to? And which one should he have surely won but messed up?

You guys need reminding that since his arrival in 2016 these are his stats:

World cup qualification:
Played 8
Won 6
Drawn 2
Lost 0

AFCON qualification:
Played 13
Won 9
Drawn 3
Lost 1

This stat is intimidating.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chidekings(m): 9:29am On Sep 11, 2021
mank1234:

This stat is intimidating.
rohr is our best coach since 2010

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 9:30am On Sep 11, 2021
Winners of this transfer Window:

Alex Iwobi
Iwobi is a winner on so many counts. First I remember saying last year that Ancelotti had no tactical tweak up his sleeve.

Of all the managers I have watched in the EPL, Benitez is a monster tactician (played defensively at Newcastle, playing attacking at Everton). Secondly he is a coach that favours workrate heavily and Iwobi is big in that aspect. Thirdly, he loves Iwobi.

But more importantly, Iwobi has less competition in his favoured position than last season. Sigurdsson is in prison and James Rodriguez is an exile.

Stat: Iwobi already makes 3 times more touches in the opponent's box than last season.

Chidera Ejuke

Ejuke didn't switch clubs but this is a big window for him nonetheless. Last season the attacking, creativity and leadership mantle of the team were carried by Nikola Vlasic. But that has fallen to Ejuke this season, minus the leadership of course.

Vlasic's move to West Ham is a good move on many counts. First, in all the matches I have watched Ejuke, Vlasic was the only player who shouted at him. Now the Croat is gone, he can now express himself better.

Secondly Vlasic move to West Ham is good for him because it shows CSKA Moscow is highly monitored by the big leagues (West Ham fought off AC Milan). In addition, despite Vlasic previously being an EPL flop, he was sold for 25+m, something CSKA will demand for Ejuke.

Thirdly Vlasic required just 16 goal contribution in 30 games to earn a big move, Ejuke is currently on 3 in 4, and he comes with better flair.

Henry Onyekuru

Now Onyekuru has been unsettled for a while so getting any permanent home would have been a good thing. But he got more than anything, he got Greek giants, Olympiakos.

Of all our first team Super Eagles players in world football, Olympiakos plays the most adventurous football. They don't sit back, which is good for an aggressive player of Onyekuru's calibre.

Frank Onyeka

Emmanuel Dennis

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 9:36am On Sep 11, 2021
andrew444:

Why you no come update me on that guy wey I tell you say don collect number 10 ?

Here is your update:

Konstantinos Fortounis did not get the 10 jersey, he got 53. New signing Rony Lopes gets the 10.

So your argument held no water, mate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 5inchdick: 9:36am On Sep 11, 2021
elyte89:

Dis is d only thing u guys av been hammering on and nothing else,like say dem no give am target..Abi amodu no qualify us twice wout leading us? undecided
But we use calculator
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 9:38am On Sep 11, 2021
mank1234:

For the third time, we may qualify without calculator. This will be a new record. I feel our criticism of the coach is unwarranted. He's doing well.

Leave those people. Whenever we are playing a smaller team than ours, they believe we should then become Belgium. Football doesn't work that way.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 9:43am On Sep 11, 2021
seankafor:
hope the pitch has been worked on
Because it was an eyesore at their closing match..
Don't know why it's hard to maintain pitches in Naija
Are there even quality pitches to maintain in the first place?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 5inchdick: 9:47am On Sep 11, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
Leave those people. Whenever we are playing a smaller team than ours, they believe we should then become Belgium. Football doesn't work that way.
Rohr is no master tactician and I'd love for a better coach. That said, the fact he's being denigrated is unfair and we tend to overrate the "talents" at our disposal, gauging from their club sides. A real talent doesn't hide for long.
Rohr dey try abeg.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 10:33am On Sep 11, 2021
Ebuehi and David Okereke in Venezia squad against Empoli today.

Cyriel Dessers will make his Feyenoord debut on Tuesday. Confirmed!

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by damagnificentusb(m): 10:50am On Sep 11, 2021
MetalJigsaw:
Trophies, not just qualification. It's been close to ten years since we won the AFCON.

Gernot Roth is handling one of the most talented squad in African football currently So he has no excuse whatsoever not winning at least one competition with it.

We want trophies!!

You guys keep on screaming trophies like Gernot Rorh has competed in so many tournaments and failed woefully. Gernot Rorh has taken Nigeria to only two tornaments - the world cup in 2018 and Afcon in 2019. Were you expecting him to win the world cup. He took Nigeria to the Afcon after missing the tournament 2 consecutive times and yet won bronze. I'm not totally sold on Rorh, but the man hasn't really done badly. Using the 'he hasn't won any trophies in 5 years' argument is absolute nonsense!!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 10:54am On Sep 11, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

He raised a valid point, didn't Amodu qualify us for world cup twice?

Hypertension qualification to 2010 WC....Nigeria must win Kenya and hoping Tunisia loose or draw Mozambique....abeg make una let us hear word with hypertension qualification biko

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 11:08am On Sep 11, 2021
MetalJigsaw:
In the space of how many years?

Which coach has\had more time? Tell me
2016 he came in played a dead rubber game against Tanzania and demonstrated masterclass
In 2017 he qualifed us to WC cup without stress, being the fact that he is jus getting to acquaint with his team, we met were beaten by World cup finalist with a decent scoreline and lost at die mins to a Messi inspired Argentine team.
In 2018 He led us through another Afcon qualifiers and qualified us without stress.
In 2019 his first Afcon he led us to bronze medal feat.
In 2020 No football activities.
In 2021 continued his brilliant and Masterclass qualification by putting us through to another Afcon without stress(so you all should sit down and watch him going past bronze medal stage)

NB: I don't Fancy hypertension qualification and winning Afcon then later failing qualify d following edition and more.
Kudos to big boss keshi and big boss amodu, but plss respect rohr he still on track....there is no justification for calling for his sack... he is still "footballically" getting right with us

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 11:15am On Sep 11, 2021
Terem Moffi:

“I grew up watching Jay-Jay Okocha, Obafemi Martins, Nwankwo Kanu, then Victor Osimhen play. I also, I love Didier Drogba, especially when he played for Chelsea. Robin Van Persie was the best for me."

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 11:16am On Sep 11, 2021
Ppogbae:

The short answer is most likely no.

2 wins for us against CAR will put us on the maximum 12 points of the total possible of 18. Let's assume we have won those games.

Now the permutations.

If Liberia beat Cape Verde home and away they will be on 9 points.

So we will be ahead of them by 3 points BUT there will still be 2 matches to go (6 points at stake). In this scenario mathematically Liberia can still win the group. They just have to beat CAR away and beat us when we visit and they will win the group.

In reality however, I don't see Liberia pulling together away wins at CAR and Cape Verde and then beating us.

For Cape Verde if they win all they're remaining games they will end up on 13 points , but that will include them beating us at home in Lagos or wherever. Even in that scenario we can still topple them with a win away in Liberia.

In summary it is still far far too early for permutations.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:26am On Sep 11, 2021
5inchdick:

But we use calculator

And so..if we use calculator nko...rohrs own wey we no use calculator,shey na from 2nd round we start d tournament with?

Oga,make we no dey wine una self,deres nothing special dis man is doing for d national team @ d moment,I don't knw what is making u guys still having faith in his leadership

I hope u guys re not hinging d recent success of d team on his tactics (Dts if he has one anyways),with rohr @ d helms of affair..if u like pair osimhen,messi and ronaldo upfront for eagles,once he meets a more tactical sound coach @ afcon,he would lose,cos I can c some folks already giving deirselves false hope of lifting afcon with rohr as coach (a pipe dream) smiley,na only luck fit make us win dt afcon
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 5inchdick: 11:44am On Sep 11, 2021
elyte89:

And so..if we use calculator nko...rohrs own wey we no use calculator,shey na from 2nd round we start d tournament with?

Oga,make we no dey wine una self,deres nothing special dis man is doing for d national team @ d moment,I don't knw what is making u guys still having faith in his leadership

I hope u guys re not hinging d recent success of d team on his tactics (Dts if he has one anyways),with rohr @ d helms of affair..if u like pair osimhen,messi and ronaldo upfront for eagles,once he meets a more tactical sound coach @ afcon,he would lose,cos I can c some folks already giving deirselves false hope of lifting afcon with rohr as coach (a pipe dream) smiley,na only luck fit make us win dt afcon
I like how you put say na only luck fit make us win. So that you go get something to hold on to if he eventually wins.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:45am On Sep 11, 2021
If Liberia pick up maximum 6 points against Cape Verde in their own double header we would still need to win at least one of the remaining two matches. However if Cape Verde should win or draw any of their two games vs Liberia and we win ours then we are through to the next round of qualifiers.

Modified only scenario that would see us qualify is if Liberia and Cape Verde draw both games and we win ours.

Ppogbae:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 11:58am On Sep 11, 2021
You watched all these players but you are claiming 21 years
TheLoneCitizen:
Terem Moffi:

“I grew up watching Jay-Jay Okocha, Obafemi Martins, Nwankwo Kanu, then Victor Osimhen play. I also, I love Didier Drogba, especially when he played for Chelsea. Robin Van Persie was the best for me."

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 12:01pm On Sep 11, 2021
5inchdick:

I like how you put say na only luck fit make us win. So that you go get something to hold on to if he eventually wins.

Dts normal in a football tournament na..u need some luck too grin

Meanwhile dis ur moniker sef grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 12:02pm On Sep 11, 2021
zuchyblink:

Lol.....e don' dey watch dem from him mama womb grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joshboo(m): 12:04pm On Sep 11, 2021
wayodude:

The short answer is most likely no.

2 wins for us against CAR will put us on the maximum 12 points of the total possible of 18. Let's assume we have won those games.

Now the permutations.

If Liberia beat Cape Verde home and away they will be on 9 points.

So we will be ahead of them by 3 points BUT there will still be 2 matches to go (6 points at stake). In this scenario mathematically Liberia can still win the group. They just have to beat CAR away and beat us when we visit and they will win the group.

In reality however, I don't see Liberia pulling together away wins at CAR and Cape Verde and then beating us.

For Cape Verde if they win all they're remaining games they will end up on 13 points , but that will include them beating us at home in Lagos or wherever. Even in that scenario we can still topple them with a win away in Liberia.

In summary it is still far far too early for permutations.
For starters Liberia can never beat cape Verde home and away, suffice to say they won't win any of the games sef.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 12:06pm On Sep 11, 2021
Aribo, Balogun and Bassey start for Rangers

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 5inchdick: 12:08pm On Sep 11, 2021
elyte89:

Dts normal in a football tournament na..u need some luck too grin

Meanwhile dis ur moniker sef grin grin grin
grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 12:09pm On Sep 11, 2021
zuchyblink:

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 12:09pm On Sep 11, 2021
Ppogbae:

Mathematically if Liberia draw or lose a game against capeverde double header,(wc is very likely;dey would lose 3points @least,DT I am sure)while we win our games against car,den we have qualified to d next round cos we only need a draw from d d last two games (home against capeverde or away to Liberia wc is very feasible)

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 12:10pm On Sep 11, 2021
It seems like Bassey is Rangers no 1 leftback
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 12:42pm On Sep 11, 2021
zuchyblink:
you-tube is there,
Not everyone could properly articulate his/her thoughts perfectly in way it can be to clear to everyone

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:43pm On Sep 11, 2021
Ppogbae:

Nigeria will qualify for the next round ,no need to be asking this calculator question

You should be more worried of the next round and not this one Baba

(1) (2) (3) ... (11178) (11179) (11180) (11181) (11182) (11183) (11184) ... (16119) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Joebie, Yachambliss(m), jieta, superbloke(m), Marjoribanks and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.