Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,917 members, 7,799,107 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:19 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11379) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11506535 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11376) (11377) (11378) (11379) (11380) (11381) (11382) ... (16085) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 3:23pm On Oct 15, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Football education is a key definition of how a coach's mentality is shaped.
don’t think so, graham porter is a good example, played for a bunch of lower league clubs but his team play so well. I’m certain if he has that Arsenal team he’ll do better than that nonsense Arteta is doing

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:23pm On Oct 15, 2021
grin

jihday:
yep another bang average manager just hired him because he dey carry laptop for Pep

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 3:26pm On Oct 15, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Amunike was sabotaged all through. It is people that don't go into the details that will scream did not qualify. Amunike went through hell from U17 to U20. Being owed, no welfare for players etc.

He built the team for years on a passing football ground and then the NFF took them to a poor pitch during the rainy season to sabotage him.

So people like you can write he did not qualify.

Those who knows the impact of that man will not talk like this. That team played over 50 games, almost winning all and lost won. Leave Amunike is too much whether you like it or not.
Siasia saw the Devil with our youth teams but he always delivered. All those ones are excuses. No Nigerian team coach whether male or female have ever had it easy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 3:27pm On Oct 15, 2021
Napoleon55:

CV don't do the real coaching job
lol, go and tell that to Mourinho. Cv means what have you achieved with your coaching

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:28pm On Oct 15, 2021
jihday:
Deboer is the crap Koeman is average, I know all about Koeman and the only reason he got the Barca job is because ‘former player’ and the only reason he hasn’t been fired is because sapa hold Barca. No sensible big club will hire him, do you think it’s by coincidence his previous two clubs are Everton and Southampton where he was sacked after dreadful results ?

You are just writing story.

If you want insight I will give you.

I will use Van Gaal to explain. It is about values. Van Gaal coached AZ to 13th position in the season and the club sacked him. The fans, being tactically saavy protested and asked for his reinstatement.

The club bent to the fans call because the fans saw progress and reemployed Van Gaal. The next season, the magical happened Van Gaal won the league with AZ.

Preliminary results is not the thing but over time you can tell.

Gavi alone will tell you something. The youngest player to play for Spanish national team. A team that has boasted of youngsters like Pique, Fabregas, David Silva, Thiago Alcantara, Isco, Portillo, Xavi, Iniesta etc.

Yet this young boy is not just the youngest but is so brilliant for the team.

If you think, you will know that this man they call Koeman is special.

Not just to shout results. After this international break, I have made up my mind to take time and watch him closely.

My critique of Rohr is that after time, no pattern with the team. It won't happen under Amunike.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 3:29pm On Oct 15, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Amunike being a key part of 2013, and then delivering in 2015 was a fluke despite the sabotage. LOL.
every single Nigerian coach have always been sabotaged

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:29pm On Oct 15, 2021
Siasia his dealings aside is the only coach I would say after westerhof and bonfere played the kind of exciting attacking football associated with SE. His teams weren't always perfect but he knew how to set up to attack the opposition.

jihday:
If there’s any local coach that deserves any form of praise it is Samson Siasia, he has done soooo much for our football. He showed us 2005 wasn’t a fluke by doing it again in 2008 and 2016. Amunike couldn’t even qualify us for the African U-20 tourney by losing to Sudan in Nigeria, how is that different from Rohr loosing to car?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:29pm On Oct 15, 2021
jihday:
Siasia saw the Devil with our youth teams but he always delivered. All those ones are excuses. No Nigerian team coach whether male or female have ever had it easy

Siasia would not deliver if dumped on a swampy pitch because his game is strictly on expansive passing football. It is not magic. Even Guardiola will suffer. That is why when Barcelona was to play Real Madrid when Mourinho was manager, he told the grounds man not to cut the grass for two weeks and Barcelona lost.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 3:31pm On Oct 15, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

You are just writing story.

If you want insight I will give you.

I will use Van Gaal to explain. It is about values. Van Gaal coached AZ to 13th position in the season and the club sacked him. The fans, being tactically saavy protested and asked for his reinstatement.

The club bent to the fans call because the fans saw progress and reemployed Van Gaal. The next season, the magical happened Van Gaal won the league with AZ.

Preliminary results is not the thing but over time you can tell.

Gavi alone will tell you something. The youngest player to play for Spanish national team. A team that has boasted of youngsters like Pique, Fabregas, David Silva, Thiago Alcantara, Isco, Portillo, Xavi, Iniesta etc.

Yet this young boy is not just the youngest but is so brilliant for the team.

If you think, you will know that this man they call Koeman is special.

Not just to shout results. After this international break, I have made up my mind to take time and watch him closely.

My critique of Rohr is that after time, no pattern with the team. It won't happen under Amunike.
go to viewing center and tell this story to Barca fans while Bayern is knacking them 5 if them no go pursue you comot

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:32pm On Oct 15, 2021
jihday:

Does not change Amunike's impact.

None of the coaches were sabotaged like Amunike's team. Not even Siasia.

Do you know what it means to go to a world cup without kits?

Embassy had to buy clothes to wear. This was not just food.

They won the world cup and got only N20,000 each.

And the suffering continued in their U20.

You can pretend but Amunike deserves respect.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 3:33pm On Oct 15, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Siasia would not deliver if dump on a swampy pitch because his game is strictly on expansive passing football. It is not magic. Even Guardiola will suffer. That is why when Barcelona was to play Real Madrid when Mourinho was manager, he told the grounds man not to cut the grass for two weeks and Barcelona lost.
story, the swampy pitch affected both teams
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:33pm On Oct 15, 2021
jihday:
go to viewing center and tell this story to Barca fans while Bayern is knacking them 5 if them no go pursue you comot

It does not happen overnight. The team was mismanaged before his arrival. Koeman is resorting to the academy and buying free players to keep the team alive.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by damagnificentusb(m): 3:36pm On Oct 15, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Golden Eaglets’ tactics confounds FIFA Study Group

Emmanuel Amuneke came to the on-going FIFA U-17 World Cup as one of the rookies in the coaching business, but the former Barcelona star has been able to confound even the ‘experts’ in the game with his unorthodox tactics that has made everybody to sit up and take notes.

After Sunday’s 3-0n defeat of Brazil, the FIFA Technical Study Group (TSG) saddled with the responsibility of ‘monitoring international matches and identifying latest footballing trends’ applauded the tactical savvy of Coach Amuneke for the ease with which they dispatched the Samba Boys.

Desmond (Desi) Curry, a member of the TSG, had sought out Amuneke ahead of their trumping of the A Selecao of Brazil at the Estadio Sausalito to explain briefly his seemingly obstructive tactics which have confounded opposing teams at this tournament.

The team, according to TSG’s elderly man from Northern Ireland, has brought to bear a new trend with varied styles and deployment of players when ‘having or not having the ball,’ hence the need for clarification.
“Sincerely, we (TSG panel) have tried to understand the tactics you are using but it is confusing,” Curry told Amuneke
matter-of-factly.

“I have done some of your matches here but it is unusual to see a Number 10 (Kelechi Nwakali) playing deep as much as we have seen your player here.

“This is a new trend and we are going to include some of your explanations in the Technical Report of the championship because the tactical approach of your team stands out,” he noted.

https://guardian.ng/sport/golden-eaglets-tactics-confounds-fifa-study-group/

That is, FIFA Technical experts had to consult Amunike to help them understand his tactics. It was extraordinary and confusing.

As I said, he is up there tactically with Guardiola and Enrique and you are talking of Rohr.

grin grin grin grin. Guardiola? Enrique?? grin grin grin.
C'mon thegoodjoe. If this is what you sincerely believe, then I'm not having this argument

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 3:37pm On Oct 15, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Does not change Amunike's impact.

None of the coaches were sabotaged like Amunike's team. Not even Siasia.

Do you know what it means to go to a world cup without kits?

Embassy had to buy clothes to wear. This was not just food.

They won the world cup and got only N20,000 each.

And the suffering continued in their U17.

You can pretend but Amunike deserves respect.
was so bad that Sia1 had to go beg his state Governor the late DSP alams who gave them 7mill, even that money the NFF still claimed he should give it to them. You can’t use poverty story to defend amunike because all our youth teams experienced it

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:37pm On Oct 15, 2021
That one na normal thing

Bonfere they gave danfo to use as team bus.

Siasia his team arrived on match day to play a competition, no funds minister even accused him of being a kidnapper

Amodu nko, Oliseh nko, late Keshi sef

Every coach has been sabotaged in one way or the other

jihday:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 3:39pm On Oct 15, 2021
chrisooblog:
That one na normal thing

Siasia his team arrived on match day to play a competition, no funds minister even accused him of being a kidnapper

exactly, you can’t even use NFF rubbish treatment to defend a coach because other coaches had it worst but still succeeded

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 3:42pm On Oct 15, 2021
Okay @ d goodjoe

Who's better tactically BTW sia1 and amunike?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:47pm On Oct 15, 2021
jihday:
story, the swampy pitch affected both teams

That is like saying the uncut pitch affected both teams when Real Madrid and Barca played.

If a team plans to park bus, and don't rely on passing. Putting the team on a swampy pitch is to their advantage.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:51pm On Oct 15, 2021
elyte89:
Okay @ d goodjoe

It depends on how we want to look at it. Siasia plays a more refined old-school possessive pattern that is easy on the eyes, easier to understand but very effective.

Amunike plays a far more complex pattern. Very difficult to understand and will need time for adjustment. That was why when he started with Osimhen's U17, he almost got sacked. With time, the boys understood the tactics and it took multiple daily sessions of drills for them to get it.

My take, the more complex the better.

It makes the players easily play the simpler versions.

I will take Amunike ahead of Siasia but that does not undermine the tactical ingenuity of Siasia.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:53pm On Oct 15, 2021
chrisooblog:
That one na normal thing

Bonfere's team had kits. Amunike's team had to go to a U17 World cup wearing slippers and no coats to stay warm.

Please, I disagree with it being normal. That was beyond incompetency but plain sabotage. They wanted them to fail.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:55pm On Oct 15, 2021
jihday:
was so bad that Sia1 had to go beg his state Governor the late DSP alams who gave them 7mill, even that money the NFF still claimed he should give it to them. You can’t use poverty story to defend amunike because all our youth teams experienced it

Siasia in 2005 had Peter Odili and Alameiyeseigha to run to. Amunike did not have. So Siasia left to Netherlands with the team in 2005 in far better condition than Amunike's boys did.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:57pm On Oct 15, 2021
damagnificentusb:

grin grin grin grin. Guardiola? Enrique?? grin grin grin.
C'mon thegoodjoe. If this is what you sincerely believe, then I'm not having this argument

I feel it in my bones.

I listen to his speeches. I listen to him talk. I repeat, FIFA experts could not understand his tactics. That is senior tacticians. Think of it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:02pm On Oct 15, 2021
Oliseh's team had no money to even buy food, Bonfere's 1996 olympic team had to squat at motels no proper transportation. Godwin Izilien former under 17 coach still being owed money. Siasia hotel threatened to throw team out Mikel had to use personal money to bailout team Westerhof team kits were abandoned in hotel before match against burkina faso game was almost walked over. So all this tales of woe you are listing for Amuneke other coaches have gone through if not worse so that alone shouldn't be used to excuse him.

TheGoodJoe:

Bonfere's team had kits. Amunike's team had to go to a U17 World cup wearing slippers and no coats to stay warm.

Please, I disagree with it being normal. That was beyond incompetency but plain sabotage. They wanted them to fail.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by peacefull(f): 4:04pm On Oct 15, 2021
Silentgroper:
Cc: peacefull

Hello!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 4:06pm On Oct 15, 2021
elyte89:
Okay @ d goodjoe

you know, Sia1 succeedgreatly cause he had a tactical and technically sound assistant in Simon Kalika

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:08pm On Oct 15, 2021
chrisooblog:
Oliseh's team had no money to even buy food, Bonfere's 1996 olympic team had to squat at motels no proper transportation. Godwin Izilien former under 17 coach still being owed money. Siasia hotel threatened to throw team out Mikel had to use personal money to bailout team Westerhof team kits were abandoned in hotel before match against burkina faso game was almost walked over. So all this tales of woe you are listing for Amuneke other coaches have gone through if not worse so that alone shouldn't be used to excuse him.

I am yet to see which one is going to a World Cup without kits.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:09pm On Oct 15, 2021
chrisooblog:

Mikel used his personal money. Amunike did not have anyone to use their personal money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:14pm On Oct 15, 2021
That is what Spanish clubs look for:

that the players understand the game, know when to transition, know when to move forward and when to stay behind the ball...SANTIAGO DENIA (COACH OF SPAIN'S U17 TEAM IN 2017)

Found this very interesting. Explains a lot about the current Spanish football.

I was once with Coach Monday Sinclair, former manager of Ajax. That was during the 2000 Sydney Olympics between Nigeria and Sweden.

He said, what separates a good player from a great player, is the head.

I think this is what Spain have built over time. They have a strategy of selecting naturally tactically efficient players.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:15pm On Oct 15, 2021
I yet to see one that the teams kits will be forgotten in a hotel to the extent the game was almost walked over.

I'm yet to see one where the whole teams passports were left at hotel leading to walkover and elimination.

TheGoodJoe:

I am yet to see which one is going to a World Cup without kits.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:16pm On Oct 15, 2021
Oliseh used his personal money to feed team during CHAN preparations so your point is?

TheGoodJoe:

Mikel used his personal money. Amunike did not have anyone to use their personal money.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:18pm On Oct 15, 2021
Then an important quality that we look for in young players is that they know how to defend at the highest level as a team. That’s what I work on the most since the Spanish players already understand the game as they spend a lot of time working on it in their clubs.

However, developing a good defensive technique is
somewhat more difficult and that is why we focus on
this the most in our work...Santiago Denia

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 4:19pm On Oct 15, 2021
Ekong did a nice vlog video once again and can you you imagine osimehn even mentioned odion igahlo as one of the players he looks up to coming up and some people on here where trying to rubbish odion's exploit on just because of this same osimehn, love how osigoal stays humble smiley I won't even be surprised to know odion actually played a big brother role by stepping down from the team to give young strikers like osimehn chance because in the interview it was said that odion told osimehn he should keep working hard his time in the national team will come when he wasn't getting playing time at afcon.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (11376) (11377) (11378) (11379) (11380) (11381) (11382) ... (16085) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Napoleon55(m), Ppogbae, viccy12, waffiboi, mkrest(m), solonnachi, Odunayaw(m) and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.