Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,798 members, 7,802,556 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:16 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4376) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11532551 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4373) (4374) (4375) (4376) (4377) (4378) (4379) ... (16095) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:13pm On Jul 04, 2018
Some people sha!

Liverpool fans react on Twitter to Manuel Akanji's Switzerland display

Akanji was linked with a move to Liverpool ahead of the January transfer window.

TOPSHOT - Switzerland's defender Manuel Akanji looks dejected at the end of the Russia 2018 World Cup round of 16 football match between Sweden and Switzerland at the Saint Petersburg...

Liverpool fans are reacting on Twitter to Manuel Akanji's latest Switzerland display.

Akanji scored the only goal of the game - albeit deflecting Emil Forsberg's shot beyond his own goalkeeper - as Switzerland suffered a last 16 defeat to Sweden on Tuesday.

Despite that, however, a number of Liverpool fans appear to have taken a shine to the Borussia Dortmund centre back, who was linked with a move to Anfield ahead of the January transfer window, while still an FC Basel player.

Dortmund's Swiss defender Manuel Akanji (R) and Dortmund's Turkish defender Omer Toprak react after the German first division Bundesliga football match Borussia Dortmund vs Eintracht...

And some are ruing their club's failure to act.

This is what they're saying...

Watching Switzerland really disappointed Liverpool didn’t get Manuel Akanji.

— Declan McMahon (@DeccyLFC) 3 July 2018

Akanji has been fantastic such a shame we didn’t sign him.

— Maradona 86 (@BenjaminKasani) 4 July 2018

I remain disappointed that Liverpool didn’t sign Akanji when he left Basel. Looks a player. pic.twitter.com/jNcqdcaJSh

— Steven Edwards (@writingsteven) 3 July 2018

I’m so salty we didn’t sign akanji suits us perfectly and so young as well will only get better

— Joe Richardson (@J_rich551) 3 July 2018

Dortmund got a gem in Akanji. Liverpool should've just paid the 18m fee when he was there for the taking

— 6 face (@ASHI_KOfficial) 3 July 2018

OG aside, I thought one time #LFC target Akanji looked very promising.

— Callum Wright (@CallumWright__) 3 July 2018

Akanji is solid for his age. So composed on the ball. One of the standout cb's in this tournament for me.

— DilzLFC (@DilzLFC) 3 July 2018

Said it before, really like the look of Akanji. #LFC

— Simon Bray (@SimonBrayLFC) 3 July 2018
SEE ALSO: 'Pay whatever': Some Liverpool fans are urging Reds to sign 33-year-old, despite his error
Though Liverpool may not have Akanji, they do have Virgil van Dijk, the centre back they eventually signed for a club record fee in January.

And Van Dijk made an immediate impression on the Reds, whom he helped to the Champions League final in May.

Would Akanji be a good signing for Liverpool, even with Van Dijk on board?

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/944996769?-19388:814:1
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:21pm On Jul 04, 2018
Switzerland World Cup Star Akanji: NFF Never Invited Me To Play For Super Eagles

Published: July 04, 2018

Switzerland World Cup Star Akanji: NFF Never Invited Me To Play For Super Eagles
One of the young stars of the ongoing 2018 World Cup, Manuel Akanji, has disclosed that he was never contacted by the Nigeria Football Federation before he made his international bow for Switzerland against Faroe Islands in June 2017.

The central defender has stressed that he does not regret committing his international future to the Swiss, pointing out that they reached the last sixteen of the World Cup while the Super Eagles were knocked out in group stage.

''Nigeria never called me to come and play for them. So, it was never a question to be answered because Switzerland called me to play for them and I accepted,'' Akanji told The Cable.

''No regret at all for not playing for Nigeria. We came into the next round, Nigeria didn’t. And it was my decision. I don’t know if I would have played for Nigeria if I had been invited or not. Really I don’t know.

''I don’t have to think about if they called me because they did not call me. My parents never discussed with me where I should play or not. They just told me to do whatever I want to do. They always support me all the time no matter what I do.''

Akanji's father is from the Yoruba speaking part of Nigeria and his mom is from Oberwinterthur in Switzerland.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=28392

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:04pm On Jul 04, 2018
Liverpool offered money to buy Moses Simon but it seems Gent didn't accept it.

Snapshot

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EagleScribes: 11:16pm On Jul 04, 2018
charlesemeka85:
lmao no mind some here wey they hype our players like the english hype theirs. the gospel truth is we have decent and average players not world beaters as some makes us to believe here grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Enough said

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:21pm On Jul 04, 2018
Kog45:
Chris baba God bless you.

We had this discourse on Mbappe here some pages back and cos of it i asked a childhood friend who based in Paris with his family on Mbappe and his Nigerian name ADESANMI.

He narrated his own migration to France that he came to France with Cameroonian passport and married a Tunisia lady with two kids and said possibly his kids can represent France,Cameroon and Tunisia in the future but to represent Nigeria would be difficult he came to France with Cameroonian passport.

He said for Mbappe to be named ADESANMI and his brother ADEYEMI then something is amiss and likely Mbappe's Father migration story must be similar to his own.

Na wa ooooooo. So Mbappe go be full naija boy.

Sir, I hope that your friend kid doesn't turn to be another Ronaldo ooooooo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:50am On Jul 05, 2018
You’ve not been able to convince me on the bolded.

komekn:

This is the bit I do not get.

We can invite players from Norway, Cyprus, Dutch, Isreal league who are not the stand out players in those leagues.

Even academy players who have not really smelled first team football yet.

But not outstanding players in the lower league of English football. It's quite common for outstanding players in league one even league two to leap frog straight into the EPL into top teams.

For example, Ademola Lookman, Gomez. Dele Alli, Ethan Ampadu from Exeter( league 2) to Chelsea, Mason Holdgate Everton RB from Barnsley. etc etc.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ykalhaji(m): 2:46am On Jul 05, 2018
ChrisKels:

Na u go still be the first to say we invite players from the back water leagues forgetting that our players should go where there is money since thats how they earn a living.

Abeg no cry tomorrow if u c the team filled with chinese players and Ivorien team filled with French ligue 1 players. U know the Ivoriens dont love money neither do they have families to feed.

Charley.. No matter how passionate and crazy we are about the team or soccer in general, it is and will always be a form of entertainment to us. To them this is their life yo. You and I can not sit at home and criticize what these guys do when it concerns their livelihood. Now in the fiture they complain of not being selected we can tell them to shut up, but till then, their are ove a million Nigerian soccer players worldwide.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 4:45am On Jul 05, 2018
forgiveness:

Published: July 04, 2018

One of the young stars of the ongoing 2018 World Cup, Manuel Akanji, has disclosed that he was never contacted by the Nigeria Football Federation before he made his international bow for Switzerland against Faroe Islands in June 2017.

The central defender has stressed that he does not regret committing his international future to the Swiss, pointing out that they reached the last sixteen of the World Cup while the Super Eagles were knocked out in group stage.

''Nigeria never called me to come and play for them. So, it was never a question to be answered because Switzerland called me to play for them and I accepted,'' Akanji told The Cable.

''No regret at all for not playing for Nigeria. We came into the next round, Nigeria didn’t. And it was my decision. I don’t know if I would have played for Nigeria if I had been invited or not. Really I don’t know.

''I don’t have to think about if they called me because they did not call me. My parents never discussed with me where I should play or not. They just told me to do whatever I want to do. They always support me all the time no matter what I do.''

Akanji's father is from the Yoruba speaking part of Nigeria and his mom is from Oberwinterthur in Switzerland.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=28392
Sad. This kid is going to be big. Our scouts should be doing better.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:17am On Jul 05, 2018
komekn:

This is the bit I do not get.

We can invite players from Norway, Cyprus, Dutch, Isreal league who are not the stand out players in those leagues.

Even academy players who have not really smelled first team football yet.

But not outstanding players in the lower league of English football. It's quite common for outstanding players in league one even league two to leap frog straight into the EPL into top teams.

For example, Ademola Lookman, Gomez. Dele Alli, Ethan Ampadu from Exeter( league 2) to Chelsea, Mason Holdgate Everton RB from Barnsley. etc etc.

Common man, Are you suggesting that Aneke should be invited?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:18am On Jul 05, 2018
edi287:

Sad. This kid is going to be big. Our scouts should be doing better.

They can never do better when the entire motivation is self - interest for the purpose of financial gain not best national interest.

Look at the players considered but discarded and that's at U17 level. Ademola Lookman, Ovie Ejaria, Chuks Aneke, etc, etc.

Is there any reason Sone Aluko should have been frozen out from the SE since 2014. He was playing in the EPL then.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:22am On Jul 05, 2018
BascoVanVeli:
The pain and awe of being John Obi Mikel at the World Cup

By Antoinette Muller• 4 July 2018

Before Nigeria were due to play Argentina in a crunch group clash, captain John Obi Mikel was told his elderly father had been kidnapped. He told no one and played on.

Stay up to date with all the latest news from Russia with Daily Maverick’s dedicated World Cup 2018 section.

After Nigeria lost to Argentina in their final group stage of the 2018 World Cup, John Obi Mikel was visibly emotional. Understandably so. The Super Eagles had come within a few minutes of knocking Lionel Messi’s side out of the tournament and progressing to the last 16.

In his post-match interviews, he appeared distracted, as you might expect from a captain. Nigeria, the youngest side at this year’s World Cup, had showed so much promise, but so little return.

It wasn’t until a few days later that the picture came into full view. Right before kick-off, Mikel would learn that his father had been kidnapped and he was being held for ransom.

Pa Michael Obi, was made to walk 5km in the rain, barefoot and held at gunpoint. Obi Jr paid over the ransom of about R380,000 and his father, a man in his 60s, was eventually released.

At no point before the match did Mikel ever say anything to his team mates or his coaches because he did not want to distract them.

He told The Guardian: “I played while my father was in the hands of bandits. I had to suppress the trauma. I took a call four hours before kick-off to tell me what had happened.

“I was emotionally distraught and I had to make the decision about whether I was mentally ready to play. I was confused. I did not know what to do but, in the end, I knew that I could not let 180-million Nigerians down.”

Police confirmed the incident. Superintendent Ebere Amaraizu, of Enugu State Police Command, said: “The abductors started calling to demand a ransom of N10-million before police operatives acted on intelligence information and swooped on them.

“In the process of the rescue, a gun duel ensued between police operatives and the kidnappers which forced the hoodlums to abandon their victims inside the forest and they were promptly rescued.”

It wasn’t even the first time. Back in 2011, while Mikel was playing for Chelsea, his father was beaten before being released. While his father was at the mercy of kidnappers, he played two games for the London club because that’s his job. Former Everton defender Joseph Yobo’s brother was kidnapped also in 2008, before being released two weeks later.

For most of us, this is unfathomable. For Mikel, and so many others in Nigeria, it is reality. The Boko Haram kidnapping of school girls over the course of the last four years put a spotlight on the issues, but in a news cycle that is perpetually filled with dark realities, it is far too easily forgotten.

Earlier this year, CBC reported on the scourge of kidnappings that are spreading across the country. In most cases, the victims are released unharmed by their “common criminal” kidnappers who are only in it for a quick buck.

Let all that sink in for a minute. You are about to captain your country at a World Cup. At the most important game of the tournament.

A lot has been written about the failure of African teams and the global tournament throughout the years, but far too little is made of the challenges faced by the players and the individuals who often fly quietly under the radar.

Mikel is not a showman and in the grander scheme of things, he has little to prove. During his time with Chelsea, he won two Premier League titles, four FA Cups (he received a medal in 2010, despite missing the final through injury), two League Cups, one Europa League and, most famously, one Champions League.

Some still feel that he has failed to live up to the same potential in national colours, but his worth comes through more than just trophies and his response to the ordeal is another example of that.

Under coach Gernot Rohr, Mikel has thrived. The two make a fine pair. Rohr, the astute tactician and analyst and Mikel, the diplomat who prefers a gentle approach to soothing issues rather than the hot-headed confrontations that have plagued the Super Eagles in the past. There is no need for either to demand respect, it just happens.

The World Cup exit will sting, it is rarely just about the game for African stars. Mikel must tow the line of being a statesman and a patron, not just to his country, but to the continent.

He is loyal to his charity, the Mikel Obi Africa Children’s Sport Foundation, where he hopes to set up academies across Africa and help alleviate poverty through sport.

And then he still has to deal with speaking out on the realities of crime that his fellow countrymen face. Mikel told the BBC this week:

“Life is already tough on people, then they have to start living in fear when they are going about looking for means of survival. I want to encourage our government to continue its relentless efforts and fights on factions that create fear and insecurity in our country.

“My father was hurt and tortured during his ordeal and this is unacceptable. I hope that the authorities will work harder to bring these bandits to justice. Representing my country is my greatest honour, I love my country and very proud to be a Nigerian.”

Few other continents have teams that demand so much of their top sports people. And yet, far too often, Africa’s players get the short end of the praise stick for their sacrifice.

Mikel and other players like him deserve so much better.

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2018-07-04-the-pain-and-awe-of-being-john-obi-mikel-at-the-world-cup/#.WzzbyP5RHIV

If na me, wetin I go do? Hmmm! Mikel... I hail ooo.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:28am On Jul 05, 2018
Chrismario:

Common man, Are you suggesting that Aneke should be invited?

Your naked prejudice has befuddled your ability to be objective.

Consider the substantive proposition made on comparison add to that the precedence established in the EPL, with regards to outstanding players recruitment from lower league. A trend that is mirrored across every competitive professional league in Europe.

And your response is Common man, I wonder why progress is such a challenge in Nigeria, sometimes ❓
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:34am On Jul 05, 2018
Joebie:
You’ve not been able to convince me on the bolded.

If you can not get the principal established precedence that is seen in every competitive professional football league in Europe.

Which is simply outstanding players move from obscure quality consistent players. Always move upwards out of minor league and club.

The competitive edge is to be the first to notice them before anybody else.

Diabate, Ngolo Kante, Mahrez , etc left lower league and clubs to the EPL, Why outstanding performances.

What's so HARD to get there is nothing to convince it's established proven fact.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:35am On Jul 05, 2018
BascoVanVeli:
Egyptian football revolution to take Africa by storm

There is a revolution taking place in Egyptian football that has ramifications for the whole African continent, with the birth of a new super club that threatens to shake up the established order.

The sale of modest Alassiouty Sport -- a team in the ancient town of Asyut on the banks of the Nile some 400 kilometres south of Cairo -- to Saudi billionaire Turki al-Sheikh has seen the new owner invest over US$33-million on players alone in a little over a week.

Al Sheikh, who is also the chairman of Saudi Arabia's General Sports Authority, essentially making him the country's sports minister, was previously honorary president of Al Ahly, and reportedly a financial backer of the team.

But he resigned in May and after a fallout with the board -- just five months into his tenure -- decided to buy his own club over which he would have full control, and start a new super team to dominate the African continent.

He installed former Ahly coach Hossam El-Badry as the chairman of the club on a reported salary of €2.5-million per year, just as the tactician was about to sign on the dotted line for South African Premier Soccer League giants Kaizer Chiefs.

Al Sheikh has also brought in Brazilian coach Alberto Valentim from Botafogo, a former right-back who played for Udinese and Siena in Italy.

Boosting the technical team further is Argentine former Mexico national team coach Ricardo La Volpe, who took the country to the Last 16 of the 2006 FIFA World Cup.

Added to that, there are four players signed from Brazilian clubs for a total of US$20-million, most notably winger Keno from Palmeiras, as well as two other wide midfielders, Carlos Eduardo (Goiás) and Arthur (Chapecoense), and striker Ribamar (Atlético Paranaense).

Al Sheikh has not confined himself to just raiding the South American country though; he has also taken Egypt internationals Tarek Hamed and Ali Gabr from Zamalek, weakening their challenge, as well as highly-rated Mohamed Magdy from ENPPI and Mohamed Hamdi from Al-Masary.

There have already been 18 new arrivals confirmed in what is a complete overhaul of the squad that has seen many of the players from last season either released or put on the transfer-list.

It is essentially the reshaping of a team from top to bottom, in terms of playing staff, coaching and management, and while there might be a period of adjustment, it could take Pyramids FC not only to the top of Egyptian football immediately, but also African football.

Their benefactor appears to have deeper pockets than most club owners on the continent, and is certainly not afraid to splash the cash.

Turki al-Sheikh chats to the Saudi Arabia team ahead of the 2018 World Cup Ryan Pierse/Getty Images

To put it into perspective, Mamelodi Sundowns owner Patrice Motsepe has a net worth of almost US2-billion and has been generous in funding his club. The team's acquisition of Venezuelan striker Jose Ali Meza for a reported R13-million is a South African record transfer fee paid.

But Brazilian Keno alone cost Pyramids FC almost R140-million, spending that no other team on the continent will be able to match.

Al Sheikh is a key sports figure in the Arab world, holding positions not on in Saudi Arabia's General Sports Authority, but also the Union of Arab Football Associations, Saudi Arabian Olympic Committee and the Islamic Solidarity Sports Federation, and is also a member of the Saudi Royal Court. He was appointed to head the General Sports Authority in September last year, soon after the start of the reign of Saudi Arabia's Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

He has made some quick strides, allowing women to enter football stadiums for the first time ever, agreeing partnership deals with Spain's La Liga and the Italian Serie A, and roping in legendary former German international Oliver Kahn to set up a goalkeeping academy in the country for the national teams.

Quite how or why he is so interested in Egyptian football has never been made clear, though he could see it as a gateway into the African market.

What is clear is that he has changed the game on the continent and Pyramids FC is a name we will likely be hearing much more of in the coming years.

http://kwese.espn.com/football/egypt/story/3556606/egypt-football-pyramids-fc-saudi-billionaire-turki-al-al-sheikh

But our own Dangote wants to invest in Arsenal instead of his home town Kano Pillars.

Well, I don't blame him. Corruption has killed our league. Until it all clubs are privatized, it will remain the same.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:45am On Jul 05, 2018
komekn:

Please not Wolfsburg, this a relegation team and a shadow of its former self yester years ago, a player it was reported here multiple EPL teams were chasing or was it all hype and hearsay.

I personally thin he can do better than Wolfsburg.

It's neither hype nor hearsay. It is on record three EPL teams officially offered money for him but Gent wants more. Newcastle and Liverpool were the last two clubs that did that and Liverpool's offer was just rejected 2 days ago.

Maybe Wolfsburg met Gent offer and are likely to have him.

I don't know if Simon Moses has the power to reject Wolfsburg's offer and insist on Liverpool move. However, I think he is interested in playing time hence the Wolfsburg's move.

But me no like the low mentality of our players afraid of challenges.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:11am On Jul 05, 2018
komekn:
This is why people should not get carried away with all the media hype, a lot of the time its just contrived by agents and other intrested parties to market thier player.

There is an article by Josh Sippie i have just read again similar hype, a player has scored 1 goals in the easiest league to score among the the top twenty league in Europe and scored 4 in the 2nd tier of Dutch football, definitely way below championship. This being hailed as remarkable progress. It simply is not , that's hype.

He is going too Porto you are struggling to play in Eredivise and you go to Porto. he needed to find a club that will give him clear first team football because it may not go as he is projecting. I hope he does wonderful and sets Europe on fire with Porto, that is my wishful thinking for him. Objectively speaking it certainly looks highly unlikely but not impossible.

How long will Arsenal give him, should he even be staying at Arsenal ? or moving on before he becomes fa forgotten transaction, will he qualify for a work permit , can he perform only time will tell.

Quite a few chose to Arsenal leave and quite a few were asked to leave. Arsenal have been quite poor at retaining and encouraging top youth talent in recent times and should i say even impatient, this is primarily due to lack of opportunity.

Serge Gnabry was frozen out at Arsenal and let go for literally nothing now he is the toast of the Bundesliga and now signed long term at Bayern Munich after an outstanding two seasons with first Werder Bremen and then on loan from Hoffienham from Bayern. Hemade the right choice to leave.

Ovie Ejaria was released from Arsenal at 16 now at Liverpool having played quite a few first team games the rest is now History, England U21 international. If he had remained at Arsenal, would he be in the first team, very much doubt it.

Raheem Sterlng was invited to Arsenal but chose QPR instead because he felt he would have more opportunity, well he was dam right.

Chuks Aneke was described by Arsene Wenger as the like Yaya Toure, was even invited to Nigeria U17 and then forgotten he was not given opportunity so left. A bad injury kept him out football for almost two seasons last season he came back to league 1 MK Dons and was simply outstanding.

Thats him below if you cant remember him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1lmSbKqdZA

It's true Liverpool is interested in Moses Simon and they officially offered money for his service but Gent didn't accept.

Even Tottenham, Monaco and Newcastle offered for him but Gent refused or his agent messed it up.

I am a fan of Chuks Aneke when he was still in Arsenal and followed him after he came back from the Belgium pro league were he was doing very well before he got injured.

Chuks messed up his chance of playing for the national team because Siasia personally lured him with the offer to play for the SE even when he was still in the academy.

That boy is too good to be in league one. He should leave for the French league or Belgium pro league if he really wants to be noticed because his of age.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:12am On Jul 05, 2018
komekn:

Your naked prejudice has befuddled your ability to be objective.

Consider the substantive proposition made on comparison add to that the precedence established in the EPL, with regards to outstanding players recruitment from lower league. A trend that is mirrored across every competitive professional league in Europe.

And your response is Common man, I wonder why progress is such a challenge in Nigeria, sometimes ❓

League two? League two is fourth tier English league right?

He should prove himself first and play in a better league. Rohr will then assess if he fits in. The youngman is relying on past glory of youth football
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:21am On Jul 05, 2018
komekn:

I agree with you in bold.

But it such an anti climax after all the talk of all these big clubs you settle for a relegation bound team. If Liverpool think he is quality they will pay but i assure you they did not, that is if they were ever interested in the first place.

Disappointed i too got carried away with the hype.

Liverpool offered an improved €13m after €10m was rejected. They even added Awoniyi plus the €13m yet Gent refused.

If they think he is not quality, I don't think they will come back with an improved offer plus a player who was there best loanee of season.

This happens alot in transfer market. Barcelona and Chelsea are still dragging the price of Williams. Can we say Williams no get quality because Barcelona refuses to pay?

I don't think so. It happens. It's not hype but fact. Na around 5m Liverpool no gree pay. Anyway, let us wait until the end.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:27am On Jul 05, 2018
charlesemeka85:
lmao no mind some here wey they hype our players like the english hype theirs. the gospel truth is we have decent and average players not world beaters as some makes us to believe here grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I see.

Our players are average but you told us PSG, Barcelona, Monaco, Liverpool, Liepzig etc were looking for Onyekuru and you even put etcetera behind am to show the infinity of clubs looking for him just to prove a point he is a World beater but suddenly you changed mouth to dey say our players are average because of Moses Simon, by trying hard to ridicule him, saying, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Manchester United and co are not interested in him. Na wa ooooooo.

At least, it is on record Liverpool offered for Moses but what can be said of Onyekuru whom you portrayed as World class player because of those rumour moves?

Did any of those clubs officially logged an offer?

Was this not the same time people here tried to ridicule Kayode when Onyekuru was bought by Everton saying, if Kayode is good enough with all his exploits as the best player and highest goal scorer in the Austrian league, why are clubs not interested in him before suddenly Newcastle and Manchester City tussled for him. The rest they say is history. They were so shocked that some even said he choosed Manchester City because he wanted to show himself but I swear, if Onyekuru moved to Manchester City, they will never talk like that.

The same thing they said about Taiwo Awoniyi before Liverpool signed him. They said he wasn't good enough and it was because Isaac Success had injury he managed to play but these fellows who praised Iheanacho didn't tell us that Iheanacho also had the chance because Alhassan was dropped due to failed MRI Test. That is life and I never thought he is a bad player because of the chance he took that propelled him to Manchester City. Na em luck be that.

It's high time some of you calling people tribalist here should check yourself first before you start accusing people of what you are guilty of.

And it's high time you see all players as yours instead of...... Enough

charlesemeka85:
well the likes of real madrid, barca,juve,man untd and co who you hoped for them to fight for moses are not interested. liverpool were unable to come up with the fee gent demanded while wolfsburg paid the exact amount. a move from gent to a team of the caliber of wolfsburg is a good move. wolfsburg is one of the teams in the germany with rich tradition and history and huge fan base. they under-performed for some seasons ago doesnt rub off their achievements, rich history and status. its far better than remaining in belgium or moving to slavia prague hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. if simon performs well consistently he will attract bigger teams in germany and europe as a whole

charlesemeka85:
its normal for a young player to start from nowhere. henry in just few years of being a top flight player have made name for himself. a player who caught the attention of teams such as monchenglabach,psg,everton,liverpool,monaco,anderlecht,club brugge,leverkusen,hoffenheim,valencia,barca,leipzig,fiorentina etc is not a flash in the pan. after his everton move he continued from where he stopped the previous season notching up to 10 goals before injury slowed him down. as it stands in world football henry is highly rated and regarded than your olayinka which is the gospel truth

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:49am On Jul 05, 2018
daveP:
hope you enjoyed your vacation from. on here, cos I noticed. Oh lemme not start on why....
na work and school keep me o

I have barely been on Nairaland sef. The work has reduced recently, I just dropped in. I've been following the World Cup sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:59am On Jul 05, 2018

Bundesliga club rival, Liverpool, for Simon

July 5, 2018
By Correspondents 

Belgium top division side Gent have confirmed rumours of Moses Simon leaving the club this summer after omitting his name from their squad for the upcoming season.

The club released their squad numbers for next season and the Nigerian was conspicuously missing from the list of players assigned squad numbers by the Belgian side.

A rumoured target of English Premier League giants Liverpool, Simon who has long voiced his desire to move to the EPL is also studying an offer from a German Bundesliga side.

Owngoalnigeria.com reported that Gent are open to the idea of the forward moving to the Bundesliga as the club met their valuation of the forward, something Liverpool are yet to match.

However Simon is yet to accept the move with the forward still keen on pushing through a move to England even if he doesn’t end up at Liverpool, where as reported by this portal a bid was submitted for his services.

https://newtelegraphonline.com/2018/07/bundesliga-club-rival-liverpool-for-simon/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:03am On Jul 05, 2018
KAA Gent, Slavia Prague fail to agree transfer fee for Olayinka

By admin -
July 5, 2018, 8:53 am

The transfer of Peter Olayinka to Slavia Prague appears to have fallen through after the Czech club failed to agree a fee with Belgian club KAA Gent.

According to Hetniuewsblad, Olayinka has resumed pre-season training with Gent after the Belgian club did not agree a fee with Slavia Prague for the Nigerian striker.

Representatives of Olayinka and the Czech club met this week in Belgium to discuss the transfer.

Gent were reported to have initially rejected a five million Euros bid for the tall striker.

Olayinka joined Gent in January 2016, but he has since been shipped out on loan to Dukla Prague and Belgian club Zulte-Waregem.

He netted 11 goals and provided 15 assists in 40 appearances at Zulte-Waregem last season.

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2018/07/05/kaa-gent-slavia-prague-fail-to-agree-transfer-fee-for-olayinka/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:28am On Jul 05, 2018
forgiveness:

It's neither hype nor hearsay. It is on record three EPL teams officially offered money for him but Gent wants more. Newcastle and Liverpool were the last two clubs that did that and Liverpool's offer was just rejected 2 days ago.

Maybe Wolfsburg met Gent offer and are likely to have him.

I don't know if Simon Moses has the power to reject Wolfsburg's offer and insist on Liverpool move. However, I think he is interested in playing time hence the Wolfsburg's move.

But me no like the low mentality of our players afraid of challenges.

Without a challenge how can you improve

Long term career plan is better than short time money that can derail your long term progression.

He has the right to reject the offer from Wolfsburg if he wants. But I guess he looked at the £££€€€€ and decided to go for the easy option where he will not be challenged.

How much good football can you play in a team always fighting to the last day to survive from relegation.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:31am On Jul 05, 2018
forgiveness:

But our own Dangote wants to invest in Arsenal instead of his home town Kano Pillars.

Well, I don't blame him. Corruption has killed our league. Until it all clubs are privatized, it will remain the same.
Privatization isnt a magic wand that will wave shit away (Serie A in the early 2000s, Turkish league at that time too)

The shiit with our league is; Square pegs in round holes & the lackadaisical attitude

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:31am On Jul 05, 2018
forgiveness:

It's true Liverpool is interested in Moses Simon and they officially offered money for his service but Gent didn't accept.

Even Tottenham, Monaco and Newcastle offered for him but Gent refused or his agent messed it up.

I am a fan of Chuks Aneke when he was still in Arsenal and followed him after he came back from the Belgium pro league were he was doing very well before he got injured.

Chuks messed up his chance of playing for the national team because Siasia personally lured him with the offer to play for the SE even when he was still in the academy.

That boy is too good to be in league one. He should leave for the French league or Belgium pro league if he really wants to be noticed because his of age.

Leavr that matter, for Matthias, I was around then, if you saw what was happening with Siasia and his cronies.

You will be ashamed to your bone marrow.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:33am On Jul 05, 2018
forgiveness:

Leavr that matter, for Matthias, I was around then, if you saw what was happening with Siasia and his cronies.

Soon and very soon his time will come for Chuks, You can not hide quality, actually think his agents are not doing enough.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:37am On Jul 05, 2018
Chrismario:

League two? League two is fourth tier English league right?

He should prove himself first and play in a better league. Rohr will then assess if he fits in. The youngman is relying on past glory of youth football

No he is not.

That's last season just a few months ago he was the stand out player in league one.

I am expecting his agents to get him into the EPL this season. If they do not he should sack them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:42am On Jul 05, 2018
forgiveness:

I see.

Our players are average but you told us PSG, Barcelona, Monaco, Liverpool, Liepzig etc were looking for Onyekuru and you even put etcetera behind am to show the infinity of clubs looking for him just to prove a point he is a World beater but suddenly you changed mouth to dey say our players are average because of Moses Simon, by trying hard to ridicule him, saying, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Manchester United and co are not interested in him. Na wa ooooooo.

At least, it is on record Liverpool offered for Moses but what can be said of Onyekuru whom you portrayed as World class player because of those rumour moves?

Was this not the same time people here tried to ridicule Kayode when Onyekuru was bought by Everton saying, if Kayode is good enough with all his exploits as the best player and highest goal scorer in the Austrian league, why are clubs not interested in him before suddenly Newcastle and Manchester City tussled for him. The rest they say is history. They were so shocked that some even said he choosed Manchester City because he wanted to show himself but I swear, if Onyekuru moved to Manchester City, they will never talk like that.

The same thing they said about Taiwo Awoniyi before Liverpool signed him. They said he wasn't good enough and it was because Isaac Success had injury he managed to play but these fellows who praised Iheanacho didn't tell us that Iheanacho also had the chance because Alhassan was dropped due to failed MRI Test. That is life and I never thought he is a bad player because of the chance he took that propelled him to Manchester City. Na em luck be that.

It's high time some of you calling people tribalist here should check yourself first before you start accusing people of what you are guilty of.

Agreed without reservation or correction.

A case of the pot calling the kettle black, some should remove the IROKO tree in thier eyes before trying to take out the dust in somebody else's eyes.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:48am On Jul 05, 2018
komekn:

Soon and very soon his time will come for Chuks, You can not hide quality, actually think his agents are not doing enough.

Really! shocked shocked shocked Tell me something. So Siasia and his cohorts just cajoled us to believe they were really interested in Chuks.

I think he left Arsenal because he wanted to play first team football in order to get a call.

That boy is too good to be in league one at his age. His agent should find him a club in the French league to attract interest from our national team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:06am On Jul 05, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Bundesliga club rival, Liverpool, for Simon

July 5, 2018
By Correspondents 

Belgium top division side Gent have confirmed rumours of Moses Simon leaving the club this summer after omitting his name from their squad for the upcoming season.

The club released their squad numbers for next season and the Nigerian was conspicuously missing from the list of players assigned squad numbers by the Belgian side.

A rumoured target of English Premier League giants Liverpool, Simon who has long voiced his desire to move to the EPL is also studying an offer from a German Bundesliga side.

Owngoalnigeria.com reported that Gent are open to the idea of the forward moving to the Bundesliga as the club met their valuation of the forward, something Liverpool are yet to match.

However Simon is yet to accept the move with the forward still keen on pushing through a move to England even if he doesn’t end up at Liverpool, where as reported by this portal a bid was submitted for his services.

https://newtelegraphonline.com/2018/07/bundesliga-club-rival-liverpool-for-simon/

Gent should allow the boy go to Liverpool, abeg.

How much dem buy Moses wey dem wan sell for 15 - 20m euro?

The boy has been loyal enough to stay these years despite offers Gent rejected from big clubs. Haba!

€13m plus best loanee player to come on loan yet you no gree. Na wa ooooooo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:29am On Jul 05, 2018
its obvious without sentiment that our players are average and not world class but that doesn't stop top clubs from top leagues pushing to get any of our young stars who shows promise. if you wants do quote me please do that right by putting down what i said. i never told you onyekuru is world class or a world beater but as a young star in his 2nd season in professional football he did very well and showed a lot of promise which made a lot of teams from top clubs take notice which is normal.

you are the one who is labeling yourself a tribalist by some of the comments and insinuations you make in this forum. i love the nigerian teams from the youth cader to the apex team and as well follow our exports abroad in various leagues but my love for the teams and players wont blind me from saying the fact that we are yet to have a world class player.

simon moses been courted by liverpool and wolfsburg is a good sign that he is doing something right but that wont make me hype him to high heavens because he had offers from top teams, kayode secured a move to city which was highly celebrated, moved on loan to girona where he was a perpetual bench warmer, moved to ukraine in january and performed well during the short period which pushed shaktar to sign him permanently which is a good development but that wont make me see him as a world class player.

if i am a tribalist i wonder what someone like you who was so bitter when your favorites obafemi martins,sone aluko, kayode,olayinka,babatunde etc were not considered for a place in the world cup team. we all knew how you agitated here cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
forgiveness:

I see.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:31am On Jul 05, 2018
nigerian young star hilary gong on the verge of joining dutch side vitesse arnhem from trencin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (4373) (4374) (4375) (4376) (4377) (4378) (4379) ... (16095) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.