Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,691 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5397) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11582323 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5394) (5395) (5396) (5397) (5398) (5399) (5400) ... (16118) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:50pm On Jan 18, 2019
ChrisKels:

All the wingers u mentioned have nothing on Chuks on the right wing. Only Kalu can try to give him a run for his money there, buh we all know Kalu does better playing from the left wing. Musa has never been useful as a winger let alone the right wing. Keshi had to bench his ass in 2013 bkus he cudnt do no jack playing from the right wing.

What has Chukwueze done in the Right wing of the SE. From the number of minutes he has played give me one highlight worthy of note.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:56pm On Jan 18, 2019
Icon4s:

grin

Ademola Lookman and Solanke with their 2017 forms would make that Villareal team. Samuel Chukwueze in his current form would not have made the starting 11 of Everton or Chelsea of 2017. Laye-laye. Maitland-Niles was already getting a couple league games for Arsenal and was playing in most Cup games. Same with Sheyi Ojo at Liverpool. Edjaria featured more in Cup games for Liverpool. Chukwueze couldn't have broken into the starting 11 of Arsenal and Liverpool of 2017.

Bottom Line is Chukwueze cannot be said to be above the U20 game level.

Which Solanke?? Which form??

Solanke that struggled in the eredivise..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:58pm On Jan 18, 2019
tbaba1234:

Chukwueze just needs to keep performing in La liga and he will be a star. Already, he has been linked with Athletico Mardrid and Real. He just needs to keep giving solid performances till the end of the season.

He does not need the under 20 tournament.

The bolded is also what we wish for Iheanacho, Success, Onyekuru, Kalu, Iwobi and co. That is the expectation for every young player. It is just speculative but as I would always say: "Most youngsters end up as a disappointment to their fans".

If you say Chukwueze does not need the U20 WC, Nigeria needs it. It is called "service to fatherland". But I can tell if Chukwueze gives out an explosive performance at the U20 WC his number of potential suitors will definitely increase and so will his market value. smiley

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:00pm On Jan 18, 2019
tbaba1234:

Solanke as at that time(2016/2017 season) was back at Chelsea and got a couple of cup games and few EPL minutes.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Petrobros: 6:03pm On Jan 18, 2019
Icon4s:

Solanke as at that time(2016/2017 season) was back at Chelsea and got a couple of cup games and few EPL minutes.

I had to make sure it is not komekn or forgiveness typing this. So baba na you?

Back to ghost mode. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:07pm On Jan 18, 2019
Petrobros:

I had to make sure it is not komekn or forgiveness typing this. So baba na you?

Back to ghost mode. grin

O boy, leave me abeg. I wan be pro-foreign born today. grin

My point is if those English boys could play the U20 Why can't Chukwueze too play the U20?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:11pm On Jan 18, 2019
What if Chukueze himself feels too big to play for the u-20? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:17pm On Jan 18, 2019
Icon4s:

A couple of game time and a few EPL minutes aren't exactly enough to say he would have made the starting eleven of Villarreal..

Without any iota of bias and prejudice I can tell you that Chukwueze's current form is better than that of majority of the England squad as at the time they won the u-20 world cup...
Villarreal may be battling relegation, but they are still a top half team in Spain and regular faces in European competition...

Chukwueze mayn't be bigger than the u-20 level,but realistically, the probability that he will play at the AFCON is higher than the world cup..all things considered
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Etinosa1234: 6:41pm On Jan 18, 2019
pls what is Orlando pirates playing right now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:48pm On Jan 18, 2019
Icon4s:

And you think, that compares to someone playing against top teams every week??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:53pm On Jan 18, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Fikayo Tomori was heralded as ‘the best young defender in Europe’ by fans who watched Derby County’s clash with Southampton.

The Rams progressed to the next round of the FA Cup after a thrilling 2-2 draw was settled by penalties at St Mary’s.

The centre-half, who is on loan with the Rams from Chelsea, showcased his incredible physical attributes as well as great intelligence on and off the ball.

Blessed with enough blistering pace to deal with Shane Long, Tomori regularly swept up at the back for Frank Lampard’s side.

Anyone who has watched Derby this season will know the 21-year-old is one of a number loan stars impressing at Pride Park this season.

Liverpool youngster Harry Wilson is also making headlines, while fellow Blue Mason Mount is showcasing his skills in midfield across the country.

But it was Tomori who impressed the most on Wednesday night, as these fans will happily attest.

Check out the best Tweets below!

Chad
@cfcChad
Low key the best young defender in Europe, don Tomori

Anthony
@antzhumbleent
Fikayo Tomori has been absolutely brilliant in this tie.. assured in possession, bullish, strong and assertive in the air, another real prospect in Chelsea's youth #FACup #SOUDER #bbcfootball

Joseph Kattab יוסף يوسف خطاب
@joekattab_Oil
The young kid on Loan from @ChelseaFC Fikayo Tomori playing CB tonight for Derby,what a player.... looks a future England captain @England excellent tonight calm composed brilliant what a talent #YoungLions #CFCFamily #FACUP #Tomori

Anonymous Football
@AnonoFootball
Derby’s young centre back Fikayo Tomori - on loan from Chelsea - has been fantastic tonight. He’s someone that I think has a very high ceiling; impressive on the ball and an athletic yet mature defensive player. Surely a future Premier League starter.

Troy Ledgerwood
@NufcTroy
Tomori would go straight into the Chelsea team after this performance #SFCvDCFC

Brewer.
@jackbrewerr
Tomori will be some player

Willa
@PWils0n07
#dcfcfans Tomori has been excellent

James
@FIMoneyPrint
Tomori looking fantastic, crazy pace. Wouldn’t invest though, he’ll end up being wasted at Chelsea

Joe sheehy
@coleyjoe89
Tomori looks a top defender in the making.. id genuinely attempt buy the likes of him before giving Phil Jones n the likes new contracts..

1:51 PM - Jan 16, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Joe sheehy's other Tweets

Luke Dodson
@LDodson93
Reckon Tomori’s faster than my internet connection

Chris turner
@cturner72
Impressed with Tomori tonight, looks a very good player. Power, pace, reads the game well and a decent passer. #dcfc #dcfcfans

Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Chris turner's other Tweets

Robert CFC
@AfcRoberto
Tomori looks like he's got the makings of a Premier League player. Whether he'll be good enough to play for Chelsea remains to be seen but nice to see another academy graduate doing well for himself.

The question which is more pertinent is with regard the SE who is currently better than him and or is he hoo enough.

Or because he was not born in Nigeria he is not good enough and we are giving FB as some have described Nigerian origin players not born in Nigeria. Undue favoritism and preference.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:58pm On Jan 18, 2019
andrew444:

Typical Nigerian thinking bro

Now tell me how is he above u20 tournament ?

When a far more talented fabregas was playing 2 world youth championship after already breaking into Arsenal first team in the second one which is the World youth championship 2005

Should I also tell you that talented Sergio aguero played 2 world youth championship and already banging goals for ATM first team ?

Naija I hail the way una sabi overhype player pass him age

Bruv everything on context, context please context.

Look at the top level stablished and proven players that Spain has to pick from.

How can we make that comparison with Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 7:13pm On Jan 18, 2019
Icon4s:

For a young Chukwueze to be able to break into the starting 11 straight ahead, well that tells you about the available options they have in the team. Largely why they are battling relegation. At this stage of his career, Chukwueze wouldn't have been able to break into the staring 11 of any of the current top 8 teams in England or top 8 in 2017, with the kind of ease with which he did it with Villarreal.

Sir Icon, the thing is that Chukwueze took his chance just like Rashford and Iheanacho (at man city).

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:26pm On Jan 18, 2019
Icon4s:

grin

Ademola Lookman and Solanke with their 2017 forms would make that Villareal team. Samuel Chukwueze in his current form would not have made the starting 11 of Everton or Chelsea of 2017. Laye-laye. Maitland-Niles was already getting a couple league games for Arsenal and was playing in most Cup games. Same with Sheyi Ojo at Liverpool. Edjaria featured more in Cup games for Liverpool. Chukwueze couldn't have broken into the starting 11 of Arsenal and Liverpool of 2017.

Bottom Line is Chukwueze cannot be said to be above the U20 game level.

Please can u give me the stats of those players prior the world cup? Compare it with that of Chukwueze today.

I repeat, before that world cup, Ejaria, Solanke, Tomori, Ojo, Gray, Niles didn't do more for their respective clubs than Chuks has done this season and they were no match for Chukwueze. Ojo really? Bros u really wanna compare Ojo's form before the world cup to Chukwueze's today? Chuks of today would send the then Ojo of Liverpool to exile. With all due respect my big bro, u goofed here. The only player who was as good as this Chuks, was exempted as an exceptional talent, and his name is Rashford.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jan 18, 2019
ChrisKels:

Last two games before this, dude didn't play up to his standard, and the shameless hungry hawks in here were already stretching out their dirty claws. Suddenly, they have all gone back to their smelly filthy caves(nests).

Chuks is class and will never be short of suitors, should Villarreal fail to beat the drop.

I have observed his body language often.

He seems to be disappointed at his team mates. In a recent game, after making runs and laying a neat pass, the chance was squabbled by a team mate who did not connect with the pass.

He expressed his dissatisfaction by waving exasperatedly.

This alone is demotivating and can affect his games.

The boy is very passionate about his game.

That asides it seems the coach is very defensive. I was surprised they still preferred to defend against Espanyol even after losing by 3 goals.

This has kept him busy on defensive duties in some games. We can only see the bright runs and sparks more often if his manager adopts an offensive style of play often.

To crown it all, the boy is indeed a gem. It is very likely Villarreal will be relegated. I pray burning offers come for our boy. His game is beyond Villarreal for sure.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:29pm On Jan 18, 2019
tbaba1234:

Context and perspective.

How old was Solanke at the time ❓ 17 years old and he played 25 games and scored 7 goal. It is not prolific but for a 17 year old it's not a bad start.

If that is what you call struggling what then is failure.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:43pm On Jan 18, 2019
Icon4s:

For a young Chukwueze to be able to break into the starting 11 straight ahead, well that tells you about the available options they have in the team. Largely why they are battling relegation. At this stage of his career, Chukwueze wouldn't have been able to break into the staring 11 of any of the current top 8 teams in England or top 8 in 2017, with the kind of ease with which he did it with Villarreal.

Ur idol Ojo still hasn't broken into the first team of lowly Reims in the Ligue 1

About the bolded, none of the players u mentioned was in the first 11 of those clubs u mentioned also, they were all bit part players for the first team and strong Academy players just like Odoi, chung, Rowe Smith et al today. At worst, Chuks would have been a bit part player for those teams too. So bro, pipe low. Chuks of today is better than those guys were before that world cup. Please do u even know who was Everton's right winger in 16/17?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:43pm On Jan 18, 2019
Danielnino00:

A couple of game time and a few EPL minutes aren't exactly enough to say he would have made the starting eleven of Villarreal..

Without any iota of bias and prejudice I can tell you that Chukwueze's current form is better than that of majority of the England squad as at the time they won the u-20 world cup...
Villarreal may be battling relegation, but they are still a top half team in Spain and regular faces in European competition...

Chukwueze mayn't be bigger than the u-20 level,but realistically, the probability that he will play at the AFCON is higher than the world cup..all things considered

Form is a very subjective component.

What is form is it how many dribbles or step overs or delivery outcome i.e. end product.

Some of these boys like 18 year old LB Ssegnon had played two seasons or competitive football in the Championship. Or Demeria Grey regular for Leicester nbut had been a regular in the Championship.

Or let's talk about Ademola Lookman how many games in the Championship before going to Everton.

Many of these young players are denied Opportunity not because they are not good enough but the standards at some of the top clubs expectations are so high there is very little opportunity for young players.

Is it Tega Abraham, Tega Onomah, Seyi Ojo and even Tomori. All these players had played at least 2/3 seasons of first team football. Calvert Lewin has been a regular for at least two seasons in the EPL.

So what do you mean by form ❓ because the way you use the term it's very fluid. What does form mean to you.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:47pm On Jan 18, 2019
Icon4s:

What has Chukwueze done in the Right wing of the SE. From the number of minutes he has played give me one highlight worthy of note.

He has only played 45minutes and he did better than his competitors did in their respective first 45minutes for the Eagles in the right wing. Since u wanna thread this path.

Now at the club level, this season, he has done better than all those guys put together, in the right wing. Abi a lie?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:52pm On Jan 18, 2019
Icon4s:

The bolded is also what we wish for Iheanacho, Success, Onyekuru, Kalu, Iwobi and co. That is the expectation for every young player. It is just speculative but as I would always say: "Most youngsters end up as a disappointment to their fans".

If you say Chukwueze does not need the U20 WC, Nigeria needs it. It is called "service to fatherland". But I can tell if Chukwueze gives out an explosive performance at the U20 WC his number of potential suitors will definitely increase and so will his market value. smiley

After Solanke's explosion at same tourney, what was his stock like? What was the market value? Who were the suitors? Huddersfield? Fulham? Norwich and Bournemouth? grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:53pm On Jan 18, 2019
Danielnino00:

Chukwueze mayn't be bigger than the u-20 level, but realistically, the probability that he will play at the AFCON is higher than the world cup..all things considered

The bolded is the bane of contention.

Chukwueze would not have broken into the starting 11 of any top 8 EPL team. Period.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:53pm On Jan 18, 2019
ChrisKels:

Who would u rather he mentioned than those three? Of all those supposed countries with players already established club wise, who has a player better than Chukwueze? Thirdly, can u name one player from England who has played up to 3 professional seasons in the top leagues and still eligible for the U20 tourney?

Finally, this season, Kingsley Michael has won more MOTM awards professionally than all the players eligible to rep England in the next U20 tourney. Can u beat that? grin

Yes quite easily Fulham's 18 year old Ryan Ssegnon this is his third season of competitive football.

But you have taken everything l have said completely out of context. Why ❓ l don't know.

I am saying essentially that there is no need for Chukwueze to be playing U20. It brings no value to him or his rating.

Most English young players play in the U20 because there are simply too many far better players ahead of them in the England senior team.

It is in that context my comments are made. We are not England we simply don't have that level of talent. That's why there is euphoric adulation for Chukwueze because we just don't see this kind of talent coming out of the Nigerian academy system often.

As it stands after barely 15 games in Seria A he is contesting with Kalu and others. He is the Nigerian wonder kid for now.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:56pm On Jan 18, 2019
Icon4s:

And those cup games and a few epl minutes without any meaningful impacts were as good as what Chuks has done in the Europa league, laliga and Copa Del riel(whatever the spelling is)?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:57pm On Jan 18, 2019
ChrisKels:

He has only played 45minutes and he did better than his competitors did in their respective first 45minutes for the Eagles in the right wing. Since u wanna thread this path.

Now at the club level, this season, he has done better than all those guys put together, in the right wing. Abi a lie?

45mins comparison. grin

Oga u have not seen enough of Chukwueze in the GWG to conclude he can presently offer more than the other wingers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:00pm On Jan 18, 2019
ChrisKels:

And those cup games and a few epl minutes without any meaningful impacts were as good as what Chuks has done in the Europa league, laliga and Copa Del riel(whatever the spelling is)?

Can you compare playing for Chelsea vs playing for Villarreal? U think Chukwueze would have had that number of opportunities he had at Villarreal if he played for Chelsea?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:03pm On Jan 18, 2019
komekn:

Bruv everything on context, context please context.

Look at the top level stablished and proven players that Spain has to pick from.

How can we make that comparison with Nigeria.
Am I not making sense ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:03pm On Jan 18, 2019
tbaba1234:

Rooney started at Everton.

Once he exploded at Everton, youth football was over for him.

Yes agreed but you cannot compare Rooney explosion to chukwueze

Mind you nacho was doing well with his few mancity minutes but went to the u20 World Cup

Success was already playing for granada in laliga and went to the u20 World Cup

I want chukwueze to go to afcon ,but I won't agree he is above u20 World Cup

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:06pm On Jan 18, 2019
andrew444:

I tire o.

Meanwhile Rooney exploded at the European championship. Which tournament has Chukwueze taken part in? How many games has he played for Nigeria that he is now better than all the wingers we have in the SE?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:10pm On Jan 18, 2019
Icon4s:

You mean "just play 1 or 2 games at the U20 WC and then haul him off to the AFCON"?
I was talking the end of the season
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:10pm On Jan 18, 2019
andrew444:

Why not?

Rooney only scored 6 goals in 33 games in his first season. That was enough to get him an England call-up and he never looked back

Chukwueze already has 7 goals and 3 assists in 26 games this season.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:12pm On Jan 18, 2019
andrew444:

Mind you nacho was doing well with his few mancity minutes but went to the u20 World Cup

Success was already playing for granada in laliga and went to the u20 World Cup

I want chukwueze to go to afcon ,but I won't agree he is above u20 World Cup

Finish!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:13pm On Jan 18, 2019
tbaba1234:

Why not?

Rooney only scored 6 goals in 33 games in his first season.

Chukwueze already has 7 goals and 3 assists this season.

That was enough to get him an England call-up and he never looked back

Rooney exploded at Euro 2004 in which tournament has Chukwueze exploded?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5394) (5395) (5396) (5397) (5398) (5399) (5400) ... (16118) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, Badbunny, delightchamp and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.