Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,164 members, 7,780,166 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:23 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6715) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11319828 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6712) (6713) (6714) (6715) (6716) (6717) (6718) ... (16040) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:33am On Jul 27, 2019
the guy no get name? he don't look familiar

modified
Ozornwafor.
We'll see what his future brings

ChrisKels:
Staying put at Gala(first team) . Already getting kudos from the Gala faithfuls for his displays so far in the preseason. One to keep an eye on.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:35am On Jul 27, 2019
charlesemeka85:
I even forgot to mention seyi ojo

Seyi Ojo has not delivered on the expected promise.

Liverpool paid £1.8 million plus for him when he was 14 but he hasn't really met those great EXPECTATIONS.

He should have gone to Newcastle when he had the chance. As a player you need to play to progress and develop. You must shrewd about what option in terms of transfers to take and which to reject.

These decisions will make or break your career.

I know at Rangers he will score goals and probably be outstanding. However, it may not get him the required interest from the big clubs he desires. He should have gone to the Championship.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:59am On Jul 27, 2019
andrew444:
Diego costa will never change with his bad attitude ,scored 4 goals and still collect red card

He was standing up for Thomas Lemar. I am totally in support of him in this matter. The guy was getting kicked around by real it wasn't fair.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:08am On Jul 27, 2019
Joebie:
Ebere Eze
I don't think Eze is an upgrade of Iwobi. Iwobi has played in a higher level consistently and well tested. That begs the next question, will he bring something different to the team? I don't think so.

Chuks Aneke
Calm and confident forward. Also very good with set pieces. However, we need to see him against tougher opposition to see if he can play at a high level at this time.

Josh Onomah
From what I've seen so far, I wouldn't recommend him to SE yet.

Joe Aribo
I think this is the only player who seems he can bring something that is lacking in the current SE. He is still developing, but he will definitely add something to the team.

I look at players individual attributes and how well they can affect the game irrespective of the league and club.

Each team has a preference as articulated by the manager for a particular type of player that reflects they style of play or team strategy.

The SE require technical ability and skill, but also physicality and drive. For me Aribo does that but with more physicality than Ndidi and determination he's an enforcer. And yes l think he has something to offer.

Onomah has lost his way a bit by not playing his preferred role as CM. He also had a hamstring Injury which did not help him. Nonetheless if the transfer to Fulham goes through it will win win for him because thier style of play on the deck intricate passing and technical football will suit him most. He had the ability to be the CM for the SE. He is not just technical bit has the best passing range.

Eze is very good on 1 on 1 but doesn't have the passing range to control games as a CM. Is Iwobi better o simply don't know. But consider this put Iwobi in QPR will he be the numero one and score 10 goals and 20 assists or even more. l actually doubt it, then put Eze in Arsenal what would he do.

But the BIGGEST and the one that for me is ahead from my own perspective is CHUKS ANEKE. Since coming back from a near two year injury nightmare. He has been the outstanding player for club and in each league consistently over the past two seasons.

He has everything technical ability, Both feet scoring regularly, skill and intelligence and s very wide passing range. Then add brute strength and ruggedness no matter the way you want to play he can play. Only one thing I'm not sure about is his pace hrs not slow not just super fast. He's in the Championship l expect him to score in thier first game end of season minimum 15 goals depending where he is played. Because he is versatile he was originally CM at Arsenal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 11:13am On Jul 27, 2019
For all the hype that Ivorian PEPE was given here...no show for AFCON...now he is going to NAPOLI...hum

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:14am On Jul 27, 2019
Icon4s:

Watching these players' YouTube review is good. But it doesn't tell the whole story.

We have seen countless players in the past flop despite having eye poping video reviews.

There was a time on this thread when peeps would rate players as "our best defender", "our best striker" or "our best Midfielder" based solely on 5mins video reviews. grin
Now we know better.

There will definitely be injection of new bloods into the Super Eagles but this cannot be solely based on these 3-5mins video reviews.

But l made that intrinsically clear video footage is at best indicative.

But the pertinent component is STYLE OF PLAY and how well that fits into the SE ethos.

Please kindly hi back to my Post and l wrote at least two paragraphs on the ills and detriments of using video footage.

I went on to further describe the only type of video footage l.use myself.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:17am On Jul 27, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

He was standing up for Thomas Lemar. I am totally in support of him in this matter. The guy was getting kicked around by real it wasn't fair.

I no watch match o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 11:18am On Jul 27, 2019
All this folks pushing different names of different midfielders and giving them some abilities that the can do this or do that.

I sincerely hope these guys can get called up so that they can show us in reality.

Telling us how they are better than Iwobi and Ndidi bla bla bla.

I hope the hype is worth it

That was how they were pushing for Simy Nwakwo and even Onuachu recently, and Ighalo turned out to be better.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:33am On Jul 27, 2019
gamaliel9:
For all the hype that Ivorian PEPE was given here...no show for AFCON...now he is going to NAPOLI...hum

That won't stop him from joining a good club
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:35am On Jul 27, 2019
andrew444:

I no watch match o
Oh okay well I wasn't watching at first but I just happened to see they were down 5-0 grin and you know I wasn't going to miss that.

So I tune in and atletico wasn't letting up. They were playing like it was the first minute and real was getting angry. Thomas Lemar was their main target. Everybody took turns kicking him. It got so bad that Koke had to confront the referee. Then it happened. Carvajal kicked Lemar on the knee right in front of Costa and the rest was history. For me it was a yellow card for both. What really annoys me is that the media ignored the full story and just went for Costa being Costa.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:39am On Jul 27, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Oh okay well I wasn't watching at first but I just happened to see they were down 5-0 grin and you know I wasn't going to miss that.

So I tune in and atletico wasn't letting up. They were playing like it was the first minute and real was getting angry. Thomas Lemar was their main target. Everybody took turns kicking him. It got so bad that Koke had to confront the referee. Then it happened. Carvajal kicked Lemar on the knee right in front of Costa and the rest was history. For me it was a yellow card for both. What really annoys me is that the media ignored the full story and just went for Costa being Costa.

Make dem cool down o as Na just pre season

Dem dey kick their self anyhow like say na league match
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:46am On Jul 27, 2019
andrew444:

Atletico played like it was a final but Real kicked like it was a final grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:48am On Jul 27, 2019
andrew444:

No o they should kill one another makes our job much easier grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:49am On Jul 27, 2019
Joebie:
MIDFIELD
These players need to be given another look in:
Anderson Esiti (DM)
Mikel Agu (DM)

These players should be given a chance as returnees:
Ramon Azeez (CM)
Azubuike Okechukwu (CM)

Most promising potential debutants:
Kingsley Michael (AM/CM)
Ovie Ejaria (AM/CM)

modified
dark-horse candidates:
Iyayi Atiemwen (AM/CM)
James Ikgbekeme (CM)
Joe Aribo (CM)

Everything should be based on continous consistent top quality performances in thier respective in and league.

By the way you, Eéeeeeee be like sai you contradict yourself. In saying that Aribo is ready for the SE and not Chuks

Because you said the Chuks has not been tested at a higher level implying that Aribo has.

Chuks was the most outstanding player in league one two seasons ago before MK Dons got relegated check his stats goals and assists. MK Dons refused to sell him blatantly after several firm offers from Championship clubs.

He was also the most outstanding player in league two.

He is now in the Championship and Aribo is in a much lower league. Rangers as a club is on league one level England.

So your proposition is contradictory.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:49am On Jul 27, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Atletico played like it was a final but Real kicked like it was a final grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:02pm On Jul 27, 2019
Lucky' Ajagun, Ezekiel In Action; Odey Unused Substitute As Genk Defeat Kortrijk
allnigeriasoccer.com Jul 27, 2019 8:11 AM

'Lucky' Ajagun, Ezekiel In Action; Odey Unused Substitute As Genk Defeat Kortrijk

The 2019/2020 season of the Belgian Pro League kicked off on Friday evening with champions Genk defeating Kortrijk 2-1 at the Liminus Arena with two Nigerian players in action and a third an unused substitute.
Former Flying Eagles midfielder Abdul Ajagun played for 67 minutes for visiting Kortrijk and was substituted by Frenchman Elohim Rolland.

Ajagun wore the jersey number 8 for his club and was lucky not to be yellow carded in the 47th minute when he handled the ball in Genk's half.

Referee Erik Lambrechts awarded only a free-kick to Genk in that situation without reaching out for a card.

Ajagun was not the only Nigerian who played for Kortrijk as former Nigeria U-23 star Imoh Ezekiel came off the bench in the 71st minute to replace Ilombe Mboyo, a Belgian international of Congo DR descent.

On the substitute bench of Genk was former MFM striker Stephen Odey who was unused throughout the duration of the game.

The striker moved from FC Zurich this summer and apparently is bonding with his new teammates as there was high fives and embraces all round by the Genk players at the end of the season opener.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:12pm On Jul 27, 2019
Dele-Bashiru Gives Reason for Dumping England
editor July 27, 2019 2:20 Am

Former Manchester City midfielder Tom Dele-Bashiru has revealed why he has committed his international future to Nigeria over England.
The talented midfielder recently represented Nigeria at the 2019 FIFA Under-20 World Cup finals in Poland despite having been born in Manchester, England to parents of Nigerian descent.

Dele-Bashiru had previously played for England Under-16 national team, but he has decided to play for the African nation.

The 19-year-old spoke to the Watford FC official website about his decision after joining the English club from their Premier League rivals City.

”I just felt like I’ll probably play for the first team with the Super Eagles, more likely than playing for England because England have a lot of players to choose from,”

”Obviously, it is my home nation so it was good to play for them.

”I am very proud of my roots, I try and embrace it. I paint a good picture so that people understand what it is to be a Nigerian.”

Dele-Bashiru will be hoping to impress the Super Eagles selectors during his spell with Watford and play for Nigeria’s senior national team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:31pm On Jul 27, 2019
komekn:

But the BIGGEST and the one that for me is ahead from my own perspective is CHUKS ANEKE. Since coming back from a near two year injury nightmare. He has been the outstanding player for club and in each league consistently over the past two seasons.

He has everything technical ability, Both feet scoring regularly, skill and intelligence and s very wide passing range. Then add brute strength and ruggedness no matter the way you want to play he can play. Only one thing I'm not sure about is his pace hrs not slow not just super fast. He's in the Championship l expect him to score in thier first game end of season minimum 15 goals depending where he is played. Because he is versatile he was originally CM at Arsenal.

All these qualities, yet the best he could afford is poor Charlton who just left the abyss of the league 1 for the championship, and are strong relegation contenders back to the league 1?

Bros this is reminiscent of the CHANGE Buhari once promised us grin

Aneke = crap EOD
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:32pm On Jul 27, 2019
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! bros easy abeg.
ChrisKels:

All these qualities, yet the best he could afford is poor Charlton who just left the abyss of the league 1 for the championship, and are strong relegation contenders back to the league 1?

Lol this agent is hungry and desperate abeg. Aneke is crap QED
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 12:44pm On Jul 27, 2019
Aston villa signs Zimbabwean player Marvelous Nakamba
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 12:46pm On Jul 27, 2019
ChrisKels:

Bros this is reminiscent of the CHANGE Buhari once promised us grin

Aneke = crap EOD
grin why are you like this man! why grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 12:58pm On Jul 27, 2019
Earthquake2:
Aston villa signs Zimbabwean player Marvelous Nakamba

Good move for the guy, they have now signed 2 players from club brugge, and they have spent 120 million in total in their current spendings
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:58pm On Jul 27, 2019
Club Brugge record signing David Okereke will go on to be the biggest star at the Belgian club, according to HLN.

Okereke cost Club Brugge a record-breaking eight million Euros when he transferred from Serie B side Spezia this summer.

He is a direct replacement for Brazilian striker Wesley, who has moved to promoted Premier League club Aston Villa for a whopping 25 million pounds.

“He is fast, ball-solid and focused,” remarked HLN.

“Record signing Okereke should become the new star attraction at Club Brugge, where he has immediately got the fans behind him in pre-season.”

The Abuja Football College graduate is also expected to install himself in the starting XI at Club Brugge alongside compatriot Emmanuel Dennis and Danjuma, whose father is Nigerian.

Club Brugge, who were runners-up last season, will open their new Belgian season campaign tonight at Waasland-Beveren.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Koboko99(m): 1:55pm On Jul 27, 2019
gamaliel9:

He's not going to Napoli. Lille has agreed a deal with arsenal worth 72 million pounds according to BBC

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 2:02pm On Jul 27, 2019
Man U set to sign Bruno Fernandes

Premier league go sweet next season grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 2:03pm On Jul 27, 2019
MetalJigsaw:
Lucky' Ajagun, Ezekiel In Action; Odey Unused Substitute As Genk Defeat Kortrijk
allnigeriasoccer.com Jul 27, 2019 8:11 AM

'Lucky' Ajagun, Ezekiel In Action; Odey Unused Substitute As Genk Defeat Kortrijk

The 2019/2020 season of the Belgian Pro League kicked off on Friday evening with champions Genk defeating Kortrijk 2-1 at the Liminus Arena with two Nigerian players in action and a third an unused substitute.
Former Flying Eagles midfielder Abdul Ajagun played for 67 minutes for visiting Kortrijk and was substituted by Frenchman Elohim Rolland.

Ajagun wore the jersey number 8 for his club and was lucky not to be yellow carded in the 47th minute when he handled the ball in Genk's half.

Refereonly a free-kick to Genk in that situation without reaching out for a card.

Ajagun was not the only Nigerian who played for Kortrijk as former Nigeria U-23 star Imoh Ezekiel came off the bench in the 71st minute to replace Ilombe Mboyo, a Belgian international of Congo DR descent.

On the substitute bench of Genk was former MFM striker Stephen Odey who was unused throughout the duration of the game.

The striker moved from FC Zurich this summer and apparently is bonding with his new teammates as there was high fives ande end of the season opener.

i dont understand, in an earlier report i read GENK lost

and yours said they won?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:16pm On Jul 27, 2019
i doubt man utd is serious on getting fernandes instead they are rumours that a deal have been agreed with lazio's serbian international milinkovic savic
Earthquake2:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 2:29pm On Jul 27, 2019
Earthquake2:

This guy fit lost for Old Trafford.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 2:32pm On Jul 27, 2019
charlesemeka85:
i doubt man utd is serious on getting fernandes instead they are rumours that a deal have been agreed with lazio's serbian international milinkovic savic

https://www.nairaland.com/5324969/bruno-fernandes-set-man-utd
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 3:10pm On Jul 27, 2019
Earthquake2:

Man u will not be among the team to make it sweet jare
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:24pm On Jul 27, 2019
Earthquake2:

Iwobi is a benchwarmer at Arsenal

Enough!

Iwobi can't be described as a benchwarmer

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6712) (6713) (6714) (6715) (6716) (6717) (6718) ... (16040) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: zuchyblink(m), villagereporter(m), 10cedes, tikristinimi21, Odogwujayy and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.