Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,786 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (7954) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11582854 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7951) (7952) (7953) (7954) (7955) (7956) (7957) ... (16118) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:51pm On Dec 13, 2019
Lille 2-1 Montpellier: Osimhen Stat update

3 - Victor Osimhen (3) has won more penalties than any other player in Ligue 1 this season. #Spot.

Although he missed his first penalty today too.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:57pm On Dec 13, 2019
Omeruo and Awaziem put up decent 90mins shifts in defence as they helped their side, Leganes to a 1-1 away draw at Alaves in LA LIGA.

Omeruo was yellow carded in the 61st min.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 11:00pm On Dec 13, 2019
So, na so Osimhen no score today

embarassed embarassed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:01pm On Dec 13, 2019
Man united should sign up Osimhen and ndidi. Both are young players that will suit solkjaers rebuilding plans.

Osimhen, ndidi, kai havertz/Maddison and Sancho then the team will be good to go
TheSuperNerd:
Lille 2-1 Montpellier: Osimhen Stat update

3 - Victor Osimhen (3) has won more penalties than any other player in Ligue 1 this season. #Spot.

Although he missed his first penalty today too.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CASTAGNE: 11:03pm On Dec 13, 2019
andrewbaba44:

Lol,mind you hazard is world class

But Epl fan boys are sounding as if laliga is easy because Messi and Cr7 is scoring 40 goals

The last time I check Salah made Epl scoring looks easy grin
I still think hazard will boss the LA liga when he finds his feet

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:04pm On Dec 13, 2019
Uduokhai for sometime now dropped to the bench while Akpoguma hv been in and out of hoffenheim starting 11.

Torunarigha na permanent bench warmer this season for underperforming hertha berlin
TheSuperNerd:
Kevin Akpoguma played all 90mins for Hoffenheim as they fell 4-2 at home to Augsburg in the bundesliga.

Felix Uduokhai played only 4 mins+ for Augsburg off the bench.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:09pm On Dec 13, 2019
We the great people of Isuikwuato once again lost yet another baller, after Kelechukwu Emetole.

We join the whole of Ahaba Imenyi in isuikwuato LGA of Abia State to mourn you, Philip Osondu a.k.a Zanza. Nwanne ukwu m, laa nke oma

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:10pm On Dec 13, 2019
Nna eh my brother Charles... That Torunarigha own tire me sef.

charlesemeka85:
Uduokhai for sometime now dropped to the bench while Akpoguma hv been in and out of hoffenheim starting 11.

Torunarigha na permanent bench warmer this season for underperforming hertha berlin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 11:14pm On Dec 13, 2019
Osimhen don break my heart today.anyway, I hope Iheanacho consoles me tomorrow

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:14pm On Dec 13, 2019
Osimhen vs Montpellier

He was still class despite the penalty miss. Showed his defensive contributions today too as he helped Lille out at the back when defending against Setpieces.

Total shots - 2
Shots on target - 1
Penalty miss - 1
Penalty won - 1
Accurate passes - 16 (76%)
Long balls (acc.) - 1 (1)
Duels (won) - 24 (13)
Was fouled - 3
Clearances - 4

#LOSCMHSC

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:16pm On Dec 13, 2019
R.I.P Osondu. He was indeed a baller according to legend. Saw a couple of video clips on him at the U-17 WC.

ChrisKels:
We the great people of Isuikwuato once again lost yet another baller, after Kelechukwu Emetole.

We join the whole of Ahaba Imenyi in isuikwuato LGA of Abia State to mourn you, Philip Osondu a.k.a Zanza. Nwanne ukwu m, laa nke oma

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:18pm On Dec 13, 2019
All of them go regret turning 9ja down. Playing at the last world cup with have done alot for there dwindling careers.

The hype on torunarigha prior to the world cup I thought by now he would have been a regular figure in the heart of the German national team defence.

For now I think it's only Akpoguma worths given a chance in the team but I will prefer the chance to be given to Iorfa jnr and adarabioyo instead

TheSuperNerd:
Nna eh my brother Charles... That Torunarigha own tire me sef.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:21pm On Dec 13, 2019
May his soul rest in peace
ChrisKels:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:23pm On Dec 13, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
R.I.P Osondu. He was indeed a baller according to legend. Saw a couple of video clips on him at the U-17 WC.

I never saw him play but I once participated in an Xmas Villa league he organized. The Zanza cup. I saw few of his clips though.

Back then in our Villa, every skillful kid was always called a Zanza bkus of Osondu
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 11:35pm On Dec 13, 2019
ChrisKels:

Yeah sad at his loss. Very good footballer. Abeg, translate what you wrote.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 11:37pm On Dec 13, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Leganes lead 1-0 at halftime and Omeruo started the build-up with a long ball into the final third that found the man who found the pass into the player that got the assist for Braithwaite's tap in. Awaziem made the last vital aerial clearance of the half.

Lille's second half have just begun. Back to France for me.

Pls what position im defence did Awaziem play?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:38pm On Dec 13, 2019
AndSunGorilla:

Solanke says hi.
Klopp gave him his chance but he didn't grab it and they let him go for good money. No time for mediocre players

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:41pm On Dec 13, 2019
forgiveness:

Bros, let us give honour to whom it is due. 4 goals in 4 matches with some assists. Haba! The law of here and now don dey activate. Mo we leave matter and forget about then and then. Here and now ti take over. grin

If you continue, you can be labelled as hater oooooo.
Chei, so I'll see the day forgiveness will disagree with Kome shocked

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 11:41pm On Dec 13, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

I only saw glimpses of the Canada 87 final in fact that was the first soccer game I remember watching so I didn't get to enjoy Osondu. So sorry Kog45, Icon4s, Gamaliel and other old men please pay some tribute to Osondu and bring to life some of his exploits here.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:48pm On Dec 13, 2019
jimmyiovine:
Super Falcons fall in world rankings. Women's U17 and U20 world cup qualifiers for african teams will start in the first quarter of 2020, yet NFF not appointed coaches for said teams. Why don’t we like doing things on time?! Smh. Since the junior female teams world cup in 2018, falconets (bar all africa games) and flamingoes have not played any matches yet. Nations in south, central and east africa have been holding regularly regional tournaments, no wonder they’re catching up with Nigeria and west african countries
I guess all Nigerian teams aside the Super eagles don't have a coach at the moment
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:49pm On Dec 13, 2019
Central defence. On the right of a central back three. They played 5-4-1.

AndSunGorilla:

Pls what position im defence did Awaziem play?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:51pm On Dec 13, 2019
Blueelf:

Where's your source?

This is huge if true
The Ancelotti part is all over the media
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:51pm On Dec 13, 2019
Cyriel Dessers is yet to put on the green-and-white jersey of Nigeria, but he has already put frost onto an already cold relationship between Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr and Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) president Amaju Pinnick.

There were more than a few Nigerian football followers and officials who metaphorically danced, skipped, and jumped with glee when Dessers announced officially that he was nailing his international flag to the country's mast.

Rohr was not one of them.

But this was quite the coup for Pinnick, who had spoken to the Belgium-born and raised player and seemingly got him to make the commitment.

Make no mistake, Heracles Almelo's Dessers is a big catch for the Super Eagles, who are one Victor Osimhen absence or dip in form from being almost toothless upfront.

Osimhen has stepped more than magnificently into Nigeria's central striking role since the retirement of Odion Ighalo last year, helping himself to four goals and two assists in the Super Eagles' four post-Africa Cup of Nations matches that he has started.

Fleet of foot, his vision and link play are additional assets that make him a tough opponent for even the best in the world, as Brazil's centrebacks discovered in the 1-1 draw in Singapore even though that was the only fixture of the four in which he did not score.

For a 20-year-old, getting his first crack at leading the international line, those numbers are a first-class return and provide an unending source of pride for Rohr, who identified the then-teenager, when he first took over the job three years ago, and made him a focal point of his Super Eagles rebuild.

Osimhen's success as marksman, however, also illustrates Rohr's failure to find a second goalscorer who is just as efficient. And that's not for want of trying.

Simeon Nwankwo was plucked from Serie A and taken to the World Cup in Russia but flamed out. Paul Onuachu still gets called up, but he has done practically nothing since that record quick goal against Egypt on debut.

Henry Onyekuru has failed to even break into the side, and the likes of David Okereke and Dennis Bonaventure are also bit-part players. None has established himself as back-up, let alone attempt to provide competition, to Osimhen.

That is exactly what Eredivisie's lead scorer Dessers offers.

Dessers is a proven goalscorer, as his numbers for unfashionable Heracles in the Netherlands prove. And he is not just a one-season wonder. He scored 22 goals in 36 league games for NAC Breda back in 2015 to propel them to promotion, and then joined Utrecht, for whom he scored nine in 32 the campaign after, and five in 15 last season before joining Heracles.

Standing at six feet and well built, Dessers, the son of a Belgian father and Nigerian mother, is exactly the kind of target man Rohr will want as both competition and backup for Osimhen in his 4-3-3 formation if the striker can translate his club form to the international arena.

But in all of the excitement that surrounded last week's announcement, Rohr's reaction was uncharacteristically muted. This was a departure from his usual loquacious self when talking about players.

Asked by ESPN if Dessers would be called-up soon after his announcement, Rohr's response was a noncommittal "we will see."

Pressed further about whether he had been monitoring the player, and for how long, Rohr said: "When we look at new players, we do it discreetly."

That response appeared to be a thinly veiled barb at Pinnick, who has either been photographed with intending players and/or their parents, or has made it known that he is speaking with the players and their families.

Quite clearly, the German did not want to talk about Dessers. And he was choosing his words carefully after being the subject of disciplinary action by the NFF over an interview last month.

Rohr's pique seems to stem from the fact that he has been in contact with the player on the down-low for more than two years, according to a source on the Super Eagles coaching staff. That contact was on the recommendation of defender William Troost-Ekong, himself born abroad before switching allegiance to Nigeria

"He was recommended by William [Troost-Ekong], who told us he knew him from their time as young players and that he had Nigeria connections and would be open to an approach," the source told ESPN.

"The coaches looked at him and were quite happy. He has been monitored very closely since then, with constant communication. This commitment was secured two years ago while he was at NAC Breda. It was just a question of the right time to bring him in."

Rohr's ire is not so much about Dessers, and having the rug pulled from under his feet -- he also apparently found out about the forward's announcement by reading about it -- as it is the overall strategy of Pinnick having photo ops with players.

There are concerns that England-born Ebere Eze's potential move away from EFL Championship club Queens Park Rangers for a bigger club could now have been compromised after a meeting with Pinnick.

The source added: "There are very influential people who do not want him to switch allegiance. That is why it is important to handle these discussions discretely. [Eze] has a Premier League team looking at him, and a Championship team with promotion prospects also in the picture. But this whole thing [photo with Pinnick] could compromise that."

Eze's saving grace comes in the shape of Tammy Abraham, who committed to England despite a similar publicised meeting with the NFF boss; Eze will be feeling that his prospective transfer can still be salvaged because he can argue that meeting Pinnick doesn't necessarily mean he will switch allegiance -- even if he plans to.

Still, the Nigeria coaches would prefer the NFF president to step back from his public displays of affection with potential players -- especially if Rohr already has the same players on his radar.

"There are over 450 players on the database," the source within the Nigeria team told ESPN. "Of that number, 65 are foreign-born but eligible to play for Nigeria.

"All of them are being monitored and most of them we have spoken to. But the process requires diplomacy and constant communication, and the timing must be right."

It does not appear the coaches will get their way soon; meanwhile, Dessers is caught in a crossfire about which he has zero idea.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:04am On Dec 14, 2019
CASTAGNE:

I still think hazard will boss the LA liga when he finds his feet

But don’t expect him to score much goals

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:31am On Dec 14, 2019
Mali defender Charles Traore is happy with with his perfect partnership with Moses Simon at French Ligue 1 club, Nantes, reports Completesports.com.

Traore , 27, has formed a good understanding with Simon on the left-side for Nantes this season, with both making 25 appearances in-between them.

“My relationship with Moses Simon has been good. We have started to have a very good understanding.” Traore said in a pre-match conference ahead of Saturday’s away clash against Nimes.

“We try to complement each other and we work on that during our training sessions.”

Simon, who is on loan at Nantes from Spanish side Levante has scored two goals in 15 league appearances for the club.

Nantes currently occupy sixth position in the table with 26 points from 17 games.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by waffiboi: 12:33am On Dec 14, 2019
Which position did Omeruo play
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:45am On Dec 14, 2019
He was in the centre of that 5 man defence line. He played Mid-CB.

waffiboi:
Which position did Omeruo play

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:47am On Dec 14, 2019
Just for laughs....

Cc... Danielnino00, Darkelf/Blueelf, and other Liverpool faithfuls in this GWG house. This is for you.. grin

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 1:35am On Dec 14, 2019
Unpopular opinion

Awaziem is a better defender than Omeruo

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:42am On Dec 14, 2019
you are right. he is more technical with a better height which is essential in the cb position than omeruo.
Subzero047:
Unpopular opinion

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by waffiboi: 1:44am On Dec 14, 2019
Subzero047:
Unpopular opinion

Pls explain

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 1:58am On Dec 14, 2019
waffiboi:

Pls explain

He is more composed

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7951) (7952) (7953) (7954) (7955) (7956) (7957) ... (16118) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Marjoribanks, trilacos, mkrest(m) and 21 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.