Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,439 members, 7,781,285 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:45 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8488) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11325843 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8485) (8486) (8487) (8488) (8489) (8490) (8491) ... (16042) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by barackodam: 9:50pm On Apr 08, 2020
charlesemeka85:

Super Eagles head coach Gernot Rohr has expressed his desire to continue managing the team by penning a new contract, reports Completesports.com.
Rohr’s current deal will expire in June and the Nigeria Football Federation is ready to offer the German an extension.

NFF president Amaju Pinnick stated on Tuesday that Rohr must abide with some conditions in the new contract.

Rohr states that money is not a motivational factor at this stage of his coaching career and is ready to continue his adventure in Nigeria.

“I’m waiting for the (contract) proposal. Things could be very easy. I don’t want more money, bonuses.I just want to keep doing this,” the former Bordeaux gaffer stated in an Instagram chat with Collin Udoh.

“Personally, I received a few offers from other countries but I rejected them.
I just want to take this team to the next Africa Cup of Nations and the World Cup.”

Rohr, who has previously managed Gabon , Niger and Burkina Faso national teams was named Super Eagles head coach in August 2016 .

On October 7, 2017, his Nigeria-led team became the first African side to qualify for the 2018 FIFA World Cup after a 1–0 win against Zambia.

He led Nigeria to a third-place finish at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.

Looooollll

I'm beginning to think this man is jobbing us.

You can't have been really receiving a better offer, and you want to die on Nigeria. Ones that are starting to thrash you.

Maybe it's cos the squad is full of potential, and he still needs it to land his dream job. That's the only possible reason

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:36pm On Apr 08, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Lol.

Wrong thread?

Heck, football is on leave because of the Covid-19 outbreak. If there is one place to discuss Covid-19, it is the football threads, because it has had a devastating effect on football.
Now PMB, Zainab Ahmed and Sovereign wealth fund place football on leave?

You like arguing, get outta here undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:59pm On Apr 08, 2020
andrewbaba44:

At least you are speaking the truth

Would you like amunike or yobo ?

None of them..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:01pm On Apr 08, 2020
Joebie:
I think Rohr’s strengths is something we badly need. What they should be doing is finding him a very good assistant. They recruited Yobo and some of us celebrated. I think una eye done dey clear now about their intentions. Questionable decisions is always a bad sign.

A bad sign it is.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:41am On Apr 09, 2020
Danielnino00:

Of course I understand that the naira isn't stable.. and with falling oil price,it expected to loss more value... But the nff can still pay Rohr in Naira,the dollar equivalent of his agreed salary...
His current Salary is $55k that's approximately #20m ...
So let's say the naira drops to 500/USD then that can pay him 27m naira like that and it will still be $55k ..

We don't know yet if the contract states that he will be paid at an agreed fee in Naira .. if that's the case,then it's not a very good clause ...
its a contract. And both sides gats agree on how payment must proceed. What Pinnick is doing is simply wrong, bullying. Man doesnt want it that way. Pinnick should stop doing like he has a loyalty for the naira himself.

See 27m can be $55k and the next month, that same 27m might be $50k.

That's why these pinnochhio want it in naira. Its a big reason.

They know he wouldn't agree, so it can be used to boot him out and that's working in that direction.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:47am On Apr 09, 2020
komekn:

Yobo was not invited to the NFF set up by Amaju.

The experiential competence that Yobo has acquired by participation in 20 years + of professional football in Europes top leagues from some of the top coaches in the world exceeds most so called coaches with badges.

Having a driving licence doesn't make you a great driver.

Pls Don't even start with the Yobo defense. Its gonna suck. Pls, i use God beg thee.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:03am On Apr 09, 2020
Odunayaw:
Now PMB, Zainab Ahmed and Sovereign wealth fund place football on leave?

You like arguing, get outta here undecided

Saying get out of here does not give credence to your talk. The point is so clear. We need to take defence of Nigerians against the Covid-19 coronavirus seriously and not waste funds on irrelevant things. It is so simple. Diverting scarce resources at this kind of time is totally wrong because this Pandemic is destroying the World as we know it. Football is not exempted.

So you are free to say another get outta here if it makes you feel better.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:12am On Apr 09, 2020
junnyjake:

None of them..

Lol

Oil Dey your head jare
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:21am On Apr 09, 2020
barackodam:

Looooollll

You can't have been really receiving a better offer, and you want to die on Nigeria. Ones that are starting to thrash you.

Maybe it's cos the squad is full of potential, and he still needs it to land his dream job. That's the only possible reason

Rohr is excited about Nigeria's prospect beyond just the job. He believes he can achieve something special with this bunch.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 8:04am On Apr 09, 2020
barackodam:

[s]Looooollll

Maybe it's cos the squad is full of potential, and he still needs it to land his dream job. That's the only possible reason[/s]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:08am On Apr 09, 2020
barackodam:

Looooollll

Have you considered that it's because of the work he has put in the last 5 years, when he eventually wants to win something the work will be yanked away from him

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:09am On Apr 09, 2020
Rohr should be ready for 2 years of additional torture if he signs that contract because from the tone of Amaju Pinnick they will frustrate the life out of him for the remainder of his tenure

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:07am On Apr 09, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Saying get out of here does not give credence to your talk. The point is so clear. We need to take defence of Nigerians against the Covid-19 coronavirus seriously and not waste funds on irrelevant things. It is so simple. Diverting scarce resources at this kind of time is totally wrong because this Pandemic is destroying the World as we know it. Football is not exempted.

don't mind that guy...
I am so sure he is one of those who lick the boot of the president...

he has been shamelessly taking sides with this government incompetence all this while...

please don't mind him...most of them don't really have the intellectual acumen to engage in a meaningful discussion or to refute your facts without resulting to insults or can't even tackle your points fact with facts

please continue to post what you deem like...
the corruption is getting too much for those who are political abreast of the happenings it is worrisome

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:44am On Apr 09, 2020
Danielnino00:

I don't need all your apology of not insulting me . They have of no usefulness...

You keep attacking the government because you think everything is easy ..
You sound like you could do better if you were in the position of power...
And I'm telling you to venture into politics and win elections and try and correct some of the wrongs in the society.. if you can't do that,then you will spend the rest of your life complaining,because as it is,the country doesn't appear like it will get better anytime soon..

We need people like you who know how to govern well at the helms of affairs,don't you think so?

PS: I'm no fan of Buhari and his government. The few posts I've made on nairaland regarding politics can prove that... I just don't like people who whine and complain endlessly about issues that they can correct themselves but chose not to.. You are clearly one of those people...

sorry for the way I talked to you earlier...

sorry also for mistaking you for one of the supporters of this government gross in competence

I am just worried about the incompetence and gross mismanagement of our government...and you know everyone has a different way they express their grievances reason for my constant write ups criticizing the government...

I think I really need to stop it now...it is not healthy over here...

thanks bro...for your response and replies..but you last paragraph about me is not true...tho
*winks*
do have a blessed day ahead

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by simiife: 11:19am On Apr 09, 2020
God plss ooo,allow Rohr spin this pple eye.I'm beginning to hate that Amaju of a man,stingy goats.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:35am On Apr 09, 2020
simiife:
God plss ooo,allow Rohr spin this pple eye.I'm beginning to hate that Amaju of a man,stingy goats.

Be expecting a coaching crew of amuneke/finidi/yobo if rohr declines his contract cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by barackodam: 11:56am On Apr 09, 2020
tbaba1234:

Rohr is excited about Nigeria's prospect beyond just the job. He believes he can achieve something special with this bunch.

Yeah. He has a good team. An enticing one. I just hope it will end well for him the way he's hoping to.

We all know our federation, what they can do, what they will do, and in fact, what they are going to do.

He's done a good job. Most of us want him to stay. We're all fans of Super Eagles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by barackodam: 11:59am On Apr 09, 2020
Subzero047:

Have you considered that it's because of the work he has put in the last 5 years, when he eventually wants to win something the work will be yanked away from him

I understand.

I wasn't looking at it from the angle of an Eagles fan. If I were, I wouldn't care, I'd just want him to stay.

I was looking at it from his own angle. Knowing how dubious his employers can be. How they started demanding from him things they hadn't been demanding in the twilight of his contract, and how they started rubbishing him.

And this is just a preamble
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eizzy003(m): 12:25pm On Apr 09, 2020
Nigeria manager Gernot Rohr has stirred up the hornet's nest after disputing the recent statements made by Nigeria Football Federation boss, Amaju Pinnick regarding his contract situation and invitation of home based players to the national team.

The German football tactician aimed a thinly-veiled dig at Pinnick at the way he went on air to discuss the conditions attached to his new proposed contract.

One of the conditions Rohr must accept before he's offered a new contract is that he must reside in Lagos or Abuja, but the former Bayern Munich defender has claimed that he spends more time in Nigeria than in Europe and argued that the Super Eagles players are based abroad with the exception of goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa.

In an Instagram Live conversation with Colin Udoh, Rohr said : "My philosophy is not to speak publicly about these things. I saw, like you, what was said on social media, but I can't comment.

"Already, I've spent more time in Nigeria over the past three years. All my players, except one, plays abroad."

Rohr added that some unnamed countries have been in touch with him over a coaching job but his first priority is to continue leading the Super Eagles, and maintained that money is not a deciding factor.

"I'm waiting for the (contract) proposal. Things could be very easy. I don't want more money, bonuses... just want to keep doing this.

"Personally, I received a few offers from other countries but I rejected them. I just want to take this team to the next AFCON and World Cup."

Rohr concluded by saying that he has invited twenty-four home based players to the Super Eagles since his appointment as coach, with many of the players earning contracts abroad after their call-ups.

"I've invited about 24 local players since I was appointed. Funnily, most of them get a contract in Europe almost immediately.

"It's difficult getting local players who are better than the ones we already have. That's why CHAN is important."

Rohr's best achievement as Super Eagles coach was finishing third at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eizzy003(m): 12:29pm On Apr 09, 2020
Allnigeriasoccer.com can exclusively report that Swedish Allsvenskan outfit Hammarby have pulled off a transfer coup by reaching an agreement to sign Nigeria U17 international Akinkunmi Amoo.

The Sidos Academy wonderkid has signed a preliminary contract with Hammarby which will come into effect on June 7, 2020 when he celebrates his eighteenth birthday.

It is understood that Amoo's contract with Hammarby is for four years and a twenty percent sell-on clause has been inserted into the deal taking him to his first professional club.

One of the players in the Golden Eaglets squad that left with his reputation intact despite their disappointing showing at the 2019 FIFA U17 World Cup, Amoo had attracted interest from European powerhouses such as Borussia Dortmund, AC Milan, Arsenal, Monaco and Atlético de Madrid.

Diminutive in stature, Amoo, who has been likened to Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi, was the Golden Eaglets player with the most assists during the tournament in Brazil, setting up goals in three consecutive matches against Ecuador, Australia and Netherlands.

Hammarby part-owner Zlatan Ibrahimovic helped to swing the deal in their favour as he was actively involved in negotiations and had a personal chat with Amoo about joining the club.

Amoo is presently in Ibadan, Nigeria following his trip to Sweden, where he was shown the facilities of his new club and also took part in training.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:37pm On Apr 09, 2020
Subzero047:

Carlos Pereira - World cup winner
Arrigo Sachi - Two Champions leagues
Avram Grant - Champions league finalist
Andres Villas Boas--Europa League winner

Even Arsene Wenger and Mourinho didn't excel at playing career

Now compare with the top footballers

Pele +Maradona +Ronaldo +Ronaldinho +Alan Shearer +Gary Neville +Paul Scholes + Sol Campbell = 0 trophies

You are changing the goal posts and you are giving us a history lesson.

First of all you created the context when you said to quote you, MANY of the best coaches and Managers were not professional footballers. The term MANY is clear at the very least that would mean 35% of all managers.

But even Clutching at straws and going decades back into football, you can barely find a handful of Managers who did not play professional football.

Because we were speaking in the present l approached it from the HERE and very present NOW.

Starting from my comfort zone the EPL and to find there is not one Manager that did not play professional football. I erroneously assumed that Mourinho had not played professional football.

The reality is that managers who did not play professional football are the very very rare exception. Not the MANY as you put it.

Have you put your head on the freezer yet? ❓ To cool it down, it clearly over heating. grin grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:41pm On Apr 09, 2020
daveP:
Pls Don't even start with the Yobo defense. Its gonna suck. Pls, i use God beg thee.

I don't get your point.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 1:21pm On Apr 09, 2020
komekn:

First of all you created the context when you said to quote you, MANY of the best coaches and Managers were not professional footballers. The term MANY is clear at the very least that would mean 35% of all managers.

But even Clutching at straws and going decades back into football, you can barely find a handful of Managers who did not play professional football.

Because we were speaking in the present l approached it from the HERE and very present NOW.

Starting from my comfort zone the EPL and to find there is not one Manager that did not play professional football. I erroneously assumed that Mourinho had not played professional football.

The reality is that managers who did not play professional football are the very very rare exception. Not the MANY as you put it.

Have you put your head on the freezer yet? ❓ To cool it down, it clearly over heating. grin grin grin grin

Our premise was that being a footballer doesn't give Yobo any advantage and I buttressed it to You by listing Non footballers that excelled in coaching vis a vis great footballers that couldn't cut it in coaching

I don't know what you are talking about

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:12pm On Apr 09, 2020
komekn:

The best coaches so far that we have seen are once professional footballers and even club legends

Who go even talk say the best coaches no play professional football

If I begin draw list ehn
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:13pm On Apr 09, 2020
Subzero047:

Pele +Maradona +Ronaldo +Ronaldinho +Alan Shearer +Gary Neville +Paul Scholes + Sol Campbell = 0 trophies

Did you mean the best coaches didn’t play professional football ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 2:24pm On Apr 09, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Did you mean the best coaches didn’t play professional football ?

I'm saying it makes no difference if you were a footballer as a coach
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 2:25pm On Apr 09, 2020
andrewbaba44:

The best coaches so far that we have seen are once professional footballers and even club legends

Who go even talk say the best coaches no play professional football

If I begin draw list ehn

The world's best coaches are Ferguson, Wenger, Guardiola, Mourinho and Klopp

Out of all of them only one excelled at football
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 3:11pm On Apr 09, 2020
Subzero047:

The world's best coaches are Ferguson, Wenger, Guardiola, Mourinho and Klopp

Out of all of them only one excelled at football

Why are you calling a retired Ferguson and you aren’t calling a retired Vicente del bosque who was a Madrid legend ?

Guardiola had a successful career

Jürgen Klopp had a successful career as a player for Mainz

Where is dider deschamps who was also successful as a footballer ?

Where is Diego someone who was also successful as a player

What about Zidane ?

Apart from Mourinho and Ferguson how many can you call that wasn’t a footballer ?

My list go too much jare

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 3:12pm On Apr 09, 2020
Subzero047:

All this Pelé maradona Gary Neville and co wey Sunday Olise even better pass them grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Miles2345(m): 3:34pm On Apr 09, 2020
Yet to claim your free N500 Sportsbet bonus? Don't miss out on these amazing welcome back bonuses. Click here http://clickmetertracking.com/maxi1 to claim yours
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 3:50pm On Apr 09, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

grin as expected, always ready to say something.

Forgive me if I'm not ready to talk about wasted funds and diverted resources on a thread I have my recreation. Its not too much to ask that you post on topic

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 3:58pm On Apr 09, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Why are you calling a retired Ferguson and you aren’t calling a retired Vicente del bosque who was a Madrid legend ?

Guardiola had a successful career

Jürgen Klopp had a successful career as a player for Mainz

Where is dider deschamps who was also successful as a footballer ?

Where is Diego someone who was also successful as a player

What about Zidane ?

Apart from Mourinho and Ferguson how many can you call that wasn’t a footballer ?

My list go too much jare

What of Wenger? The point is, being a successful footballer doesn't give you an advantage as a coach

(1) (2) (3) ... (8485) (8486) (8487) (8488) (8489) (8490) (8491) ... (16042) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: slimthugchimee2(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.