Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,959 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8724) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11536958 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8721) (8722) (8723) (8724) (8725) (8726) (8727) ... (16098) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:53pm On Jun 15, 2020
Edopesin:

lols don't get over the match, like we even deserved to win it, I'm sure you also blame Omeruo for letting Messi go and iheanacho that was not even in the match

You can make excuse for Ighalo missing that chance,but don't say we didn't deserve to win the match...

That Argentina team was washed up...
We did better against Iceland and Croatia than they did...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:01pm On Jun 15, 2020
Ramon Azeez playing as an attacking midfielder against Real Betis
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:02pm On Jun 15, 2020
Danielnino00:

You can make excuse for Ighalo missing that chance,but don't say we didn't deserve to win the match...

Naija didn’t deserve to win

We need to learn to accept our loss most times

Naija Bleep up for that Match

It’s either we Nigerians blame the referee or something else

Yes the Argentina team Issa crappy team

Why una go win when una defenders dey use fear play ball

What is the need of playing well against a better Croatia and Iceland then flopped against Argentina sote rojo of all people come from no where come score
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:04pm On Jun 15, 2020
andrewbaba44:

How did we "bleep up"?

Tell us...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:05pm On Jun 15, 2020
Danielnino00:

How did we "bleep up"?

Tell us...

Apart from ighalo

You also saw your sleeping defenders

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:06pm On Jun 15, 2020
Moses kpakor wrote :
TRAGEDY! TRAGEDY!! TRAGEDY!!!

On this day, 15th June, 1991, exactly 29 years, ago, at the Dan Anyam Stadium, Owerri this tragedy occurred!

During a First Division Professional League match between Iwuanyanwu Nationale and visiting BCC Lions of Gboko, the defending Champions of African Cup of Winners’ Cup.

Moses Kpakor, Captain of BCC Lions had his right lower limb broken and taken out of the field on a stretcher, in a tension-soaked match that had an early minute goal by BCC’s Amaechi Ottiji disallowed, and BCC Lions youth international, John Agum red-carded.

All these incidents happened within the first five minutes of the game - it was really a tension-soaked match that Nationale players had to win to be left off the hook of half salary placed on then. Since BCC Lions was one of the few teams in the country at the time to be beaten to justify a team’s improvement.

Sadly, the local league lost one of her most glamorous and imaginative footballer at the time, as Moses Kpakor was rumoured to be permanently retired from the beautiful game by the injury. More sadly, Kpakor was on the verge of joining Dutch giants, Feyenoord in three weeks time before the tragedy struck Super Eagles police man.

Today, Kpakor accepts the tragedy as his fate and has concluded that all has become history, and he is grateful to the defunct Benue Cement Company (PLC), for his treating in London, and grateful to the crazy soccer loving people of Gboko and Benue state in general, his fellow professionals, as well as his well-wishers around the country for their support during the trying moment which greatly inspired his return to football much earlier that was expected.

The ex-Eagles midfield star stated that, it is why even after 29 years that your collective support still lingers in my mind, and I want to once again say to all of you that I still appreciate your collective support. Thank you all, and God bless you too.

Culled from his Facebook page...

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:08pm On Jun 15, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Apart from ighalo

You also saw your sleeping defenders

"Apart from Ighalo" ..

So that's your way of admitting that Ighalo played a part in our loss that night...after many days of evasion...

It's alright..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:10pm On Jun 15, 2020
Danielnino00:

"Apart from Ighalo" ..

So that's your way of admitting that Ighalo played a part in our loss that night...after many days of evasion...

It's alright..

Una dey talk ighalo nah ,so as I say apart from ighalo

Abi Na only ighalo dey field ?

Your defenders where crappy all playing with fear

Naija no deserve to win

Accept that

Na everytime una dey find fault ,it’s either you are blaming the ref or something else

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:11pm On Jun 15, 2020
[quote author=andrewbaba44 post=90711208]

Your defenders where crappy all playing with fear [/quote

"Your defenders" ..

So you are no longer part of us ??

It's alright..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 10:17pm On Jun 15, 2020
andrewbaba44:

What is the need of playing well against a better Croatia and Iceland then flopped against Argentina sote rojo of all people come from no where come score

Oga we deserved to win that match abeg. What you would say is we had our chances and we failed to convert them
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:18pm On Jun 15, 2020
[quote author=Danielnino00 post=90711257][/quote]

Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:18pm On Jun 15, 2020
Olulong:

Oga we deserved to win that match abeg. What you would say is we had our chances and we failed to convert them

Story

You didn’t convert your chances

And your defenders could not stop rojo from scoring
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Gbest90(m): 10:24pm On Jun 15, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Your defenders where crappy all playing with fear

Naija no deserve to win

Accept that

Na everytime una dey find fault ,it’s either you are blaming the ref or something else

It is not the fault of the players but of Gernot Rhor.

Nigeria needed a draw from that game. And at 1-1 they were suppose to defend with 10 men and wait for any counter.

But unfortunately Argentina scored from a counter.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 10:27pm On Jun 15, 2020
Danielnino00:

Asides Balogun, Moses and Ndidi nobody is worth mentioning in that match, Argentina were all over the place in the first half and we only attempted getting back into the game after ighalo got in in the second half

Argentina team was washed up but we could not exploit it even though their defence was in shambles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:27pm On Jun 15, 2020
Gbest90:

Nigeria needed a draw from that game. And at 1-1 they were suppose to defend with 10 men and wait for any counter.

How can you play well against a better Croatia and Iceland and play with fear against a crappy Argentina team and you dare to say you deserved to qualify from that group

See that goal wey rojo score self

They where defending with fear nah
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:28pm On Jun 15, 2020
Edopesin:

Asides Balogun, Moses and Ndidi nobody is worth mentioning in that match, Argentina were all over the place in the first half and we only attempted getting back into the game after ighalo got in in the second half

Argentina team was washed up but we could not exploit it even though their defence was in shambles

Leave them make dem dey deceive their self

Make dem mention how many player even play well that day

Argentina team is crap no doubt ,but you could not win them ,and you are here saying you deserve to qualify

Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 10:35pm On Jun 15, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Leave them make dem dey deceive their self

Make dem mention how many player even play well that day

Argentina team is crap no doubt ,but you could not win them ,and you are here saying you deserve to qualify

Lol

Abi grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 10:35pm On Jun 15, 2020
terzurum5:
Moses kpakor wrote :
TRAGEDY! TRAGEDY!! TRAGEDY!!!

On this day, 15th June, 1991, exactly 29 years, ago, at the Dan Anyam Stadium, Owerri this tragedy occurred!

During a First Division Professional League match between Iwuanyanwu Nationale and visiting BCC Lions of Gboko, the defending Champions of African Cup of Winners’ Cup.

Moses Kpakor, Captain of BCC Lions had his right lower limb broken and taken out of the field on a stretcher, in a tension-soaked match that had an early minute goal by BCC’s Amaechi Ottiji disallowed, and BCC Lions youth international, John Agum red-carded.

All these incidents happened within the first five minutes of the game - it was really a tension-soaked match that Nationale players had to win to be left off the hook of half salary placed on then. Since BCC Lions was one of the few teams in the country at the time to be beaten to justify a team’s improvement.

Sadly, the local league lost one of her most glamorous and imaginative footballer at the time, as Moses Kpakor was rumoured to be permanently retired from the beautiful game by the injury. More sadly, Kpakor was on the verge of joining Dutch giants, Feyenoord in three weeks time before the tragedy struck Super Eagles police man.

Today, Kpakor accepts the tragedy as his fate and has concluded that all has become history, and he is grateful to the defunct Benue Cement Company (PLC), for his treating in London, and grateful to the crazy soccer loving people of Gboko and Benue state in general, his fellow professionals, as well as his well-wishers around the country for their support during the trying moment which greatly inspired his return to football much earlier that was expected.

The ex-Eagles midfield star stated that, it is why even after 29 years that your collective support still lingers in my mind, and I want to once again say to all of you that I still appreciate your collective support. Thank you all, and God bless you too.

Culled from his Facebook page...
One of the great discoveries by Westerhof, played at Algiers 90 alongside uche okechukwu, Daniel amokachi and Friday elastic elahor. He marked Abedi Pele and made Abedi anonymous, abedi asked after the game, who is the guy that marked me. But village people and their never dying remote control, God dey sha.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:42pm On Jun 15, 2020
mostob:
I don't think experience really matters in football nowadays. Football now thrives on ability and capabilities rather than experience. Guys like Sancho, Haaland, Mbappe have proved that age is just a number.

When I said this in the past, people did not understand.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:44pm On Jun 15, 2020
If Klopp start may we free am o.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:44pm On Jun 15, 2020
Edopesin:

“It was a big disappointment.  Even though my players played their best, they lost
to the opponents due to inexperience of my players.

”My team is a very young side compared to the Argentines, who play in the big leagues all over the world. You can talk of the experience of Lionel Messi.

”But my team is a very wonderful one; disciplined, young and very interesting to work with.

They will be ready in the next World Cup when most of them would have matured for big time football like the World Cup,” 

The Coach said that but mostob and Chriskels of Nairaland think otherwise lmfao

I hope you know some of us have doubts in the coach's capability.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 10:49pm On Jun 15, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

I hope you know some of us have doubts in the coach's capability.

People like me. Ghanaian team to SA2010 were made of young players and they almost made it to semi final of that tournament.

I only asked for continuity because of how NFF is.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Melvinity: 11:48pm On Jun 15, 2020
JayromWrites:

No be only Bosso, na Gidan kwanu
Wharisdis?
Futminna pikin... ☺ U Don make me laff tire..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Melvinity: 11:50pm On Jun 15, 2020
Finidi is the only one I'm routing out for. You see the other two, my hands no dey o. �
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 11:52pm On Jun 15, 2020
one guy posted this zoomed picture and a cold chill run down my spine. May God bless the referee.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Melvinity: 11:55pm On Jun 15, 2020
Concerning the earlier debate. I don't mind having Ighalo. My reason is simple. I need players with big names (not disputing the fact that he had shown class in recent times after the world Cup). And that feeling of experience, even though he won't have much game time.

Sadiq umar plays more like a 10, my thought tho. He is not pacy and therefore, he uses his dribbling skills and exceptional ball control to make up for (no speed)., and he also has excellent vision, he is so creative. I don't mind having him tho. But playing him as a 9 in this current Super Eagle team, naaaahh, he is too slow.... My take on that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Melvinity: 11:57pm On Jun 15, 2020
mostob:
one guy posted this zoomed picture and a cold chill run down my spine. May God bless the referee.
Amen.. He would have died if not for that timely intervention from the ref.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 11:58pm On Jun 15, 2020
Melvinity:

Amen.. He would have died if not for that timely intervention from the ref.
chai !
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 12:45am On Jun 16, 2020
JayromWrites:

No be only Bosso, na Gidan kwanu
Wharisdis?
grin I see a minna man
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 1:10am On Jun 16, 2020
Gbest90:

When the Argentine coach was reinforcing the flanks, bringing in Meza and Co. The dunce of a coach didn't see it fit reinforce his defense too.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:19am On Jun 16, 2020
Good to see you again Terzurum5. It's been an eternity since I saw you in here. wink

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 2lola: 2:21am On Jun 16, 2020

(1) (2) (3) ... (8721) (8722) (8723) (8724) (8725) (8726) (8727) ... (16098) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Alfryd and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.