Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,626 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:58 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8966) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11321864 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8963) (8964) (8965) (8966) (8967) (8968) (8969) ... (16041) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 5:11pm On Jul 16, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Really really excited for Samson Tijani. A Top DM prospect with brains. Really pray he progresses as expected. We have yet another top player in this lad if all goes well.

RB Salzburg needs no introduction. A great breeding ground for some of the finest talents from around the world.

Can't wait to have Akinkunmi Amoo too at Hammarby getting down to business. His transfer has already been officially announced. We reported it here too.

These two lads are looking like the best positives so far from the U-17 Class of 2019.

Hoping a few more like Peter Olawale and Olakunle Olusegun join them.

Let the Salzburg chapter begin.

Good news to naija football

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:12pm On Jul 16, 2020
mkrest:

I had already registered but had doubts about their referral so I asked questions that nobody answered , decided to check their reviews on goggle to find the site might be a scam

Did you register through my link or someone else's
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:24pm On Jul 16, 2020
na d koko be that
ChrisKels:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by seankafor(m): 5:27pm On Jul 16, 2020
Here is how am gonna watch today's match

I'll watch Everton Vs Aston villa first half because iwobi starts and am gonna stop watching when he is been substituted.
Then I'll switch to Leicester Vs Sheffield United probly when iheanacho is been brought in..

Then by 8.. am gonna watch our own starboy chuks play against real Madrid..

Long live the super eagles cool

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mkrest(m): 5:27pm On Jul 16, 2020
ChrisKels:

someone else ,about some days back

modified*
seen the difference I registered on Ybuvideon. site

still looks similar though
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:28pm On Jul 16, 2020
seankafor:
Here is how am gonna watch today's match

I'll watch Everton Vs Aston villa first half because iwobi starts and am gonna stop watching when he is been substituted.
Then I'll switch to Leicester Vs Sheffield United probly when iheanacho is been brought in..

Then by 8.. am gonna watch our own starboy chuks play against real Madrid..

Long live the super eagles cool

You ain't gonna walk alone through this path

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:31pm On Jul 16, 2020
mkrest:

someone else ,about some days back

You probably used the wrong link. I have already provided you a genuine link that works
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 5:37pm On Jul 16, 2020
chrisooblog:
little distracting topic for discussion house. which national team would you say has overachieved and underachieved in international football? for me Holland is the undisputed underachieving champion while for overachievers i go with Germany. Die Mannshaft haven't always had the best of squads and most stand out talents but somehow they always get the job done.

for africa senegal are clearly the biggest underachievers honorable mention to morocco, while disputable i think cameroon fits into the overachiever slot.

what's your opinion guys?
cc safarigirl and anybody else feel free to comment

I wholly agree.

Holland
Argentina

Are perennial underachievers in world football. Argentina is close as well, when you look at the team's they have fielded on the world stage.

Overachievers, I would put Mexico on such a list.

In Africa, Senegal definitely, for underachievers, CIV was once with them, but they have redeemed themselves. Morocco has replaced CIV. Their team is too good.

For the overachievers, of recent, Uganda is definitely up there currently.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by seankafor(m): 5:47pm On Jul 16, 2020
ChrisKels:

You probably used the wrong link. I have already provided you a genuine link that works
what link is that bro...Una dey share money cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 5:59pm On Jul 16, 2020
andrewbaba44:

He will surely start as he didn’t start their last game

Abeg I no want much noise here because na today madrid go win laliga grin

Barca dey unlucky this season sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:10pm On Jul 16, 2020
In other news, Nigeria betting company,bet king have signed a deal to become the official sponsors of the Kenyan premier league..
The deal is with $11.1m ...

How did the NPFL miss out on this??

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JayromWrites: 6:18pm On Jul 16, 2020
Danielnino00:
In other news, Nigeria betting company,bet king have signed a deal to become the official sponsors of the Kenyan premier league..
The deal is with $11.1m ...

How did the NPFL miss out on this??

Wtf?

I need to stop dashing those guys money

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Afobear: 6:28pm On Jul 16, 2020
Who can tell me what happened A year ago Yesterday ? I come and in peace brethren to preach the Gospel
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 6:30pm On Jul 16, 2020
Edopesin:

Barca dey unlucky this season sha

Barca are not unlucky but inconsistent

A poor madrid side is winning the laliga that the stronger ones then could not win , that should tell you alot

Villareal will be beaten like ram tonight, make chuks just score sha

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Afobear: 6:32pm On Jul 16, 2020
Algeria that they already waved aside on their bragging to get to the Final sunk A dagger into their Chest. But the very moment that was so joyous to me was that A supposed Mahrez who wasn't Intelligent and will be benched By Henry Onyekuru in ManCity was the one who signed the Death Warrant grin grin grin grin grin. Your Aveeeeraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaageeeeeeeeee tears that will flow now can be gathered for me because I need salt in my system

Y'Allah , The Lord's work was done

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 6:33pm On Jul 16, 2020
Manchester united to draw or loose today

Bruno fernandes will be hoping to score from the spot as usual grin

The lords work shall be done by zaha and co
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Liposure: 6:36pm On Jul 16, 2020
chrisooblog:
little distracting topic for discussion house. which national team would you say has overachieved and underachieved in international football? for me Holland is the undisputed underachieving champion while for overachievers i go with Germany. Die Mannshaft haven't always had the best of squads and most stand out talents but somehow they always get the job done.

for africa senegal are clearly the biggest underachievers honorable mention to morocco, while disputable i think cameroon fits into the overachiever slot.

what's your opinion guys?
cc andrewbaba44, supernerd, goodjoe, chriskels, daniel, komekn, safarigirl and anybody else feel free to comment
for me belgium is one team i expected to do greater things with the calibre of players they have. I still dont know why they fail to win the last worldcup. They were clear favourites.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 6:38pm On Jul 16, 2020
Ndidi is growing on the ball, game by game

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 6:42pm On Jul 16, 2020
Afobear:
[s]Algeria that they already waved aside on their bragging to get to the Final sunk A dagger into their Chest. But the very moment that was so joyous to me was that A supposed Mahrez who wasn't Intelligent and will be benched By Henry Onyekuru in ManCity was the one who signed the Death Warrant grin grin grin grin grin. Your Aveeeeraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaageeeeeeeeee tears that will flow now can be gathered for me because I need salt in my system

Y'Allah , The Lord's work was done[/s]

Where was the black stars?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Liposure: 6:43pm On Jul 16, 2020
safarigirl:

I wholly agree.

Holland
Argentina

Are perennial underachievers in world football. Argentina is close as well, when you look at the team's they have fielded on the world stage.

Overachievers, I would put Mexico on such a list.

In Africa, Senegal definitely, for underachievers, CIV was once with them, but they have redeemed themselves. Morocco has replaced CIV. Their team is too good.

For the overachievers, of recent, Uganda is definitely up there currently.
what has mexico overachieved. Apart from contesting superiority with USA in the concacaf region. what else
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 6:45pm On Jul 16, 2020
Liposure:
for me belgium is one team i expected to do greater things with the calibre of players they have. I still dont know why they fail to win the last worldcup. They were clear favourites.

You dont need to call belgium , i am not sure the talents they have are even up to a decade like the ones the netherlands have and the argentine

You can start counting for belgium from last world cup, maybe if they fail to win the european championship and the next world cup then i will go with you
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 6:49pm On Jul 16, 2020
Subzero047:
Ndidi is growing on the ball, game by game

You mean creative passes into the final third of the pitch and ball progression and atracking vision. If he does all that he will get into a big team immediately.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:57pm On Jul 16, 2020
I can imagine that last picture is afobear
Afobear:
Algeria that they already waved aside on their bragging to get to the Final sunk A dagger into their Chest. But the very moment that was so joyous to me was that A supposed Mahrez who wasn't Intelligent and will be benched By Henry Onyekuru in ManCity was the one who signed the Death Warrant grin grin grin grin grin. Your Aveeeeraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaageeeeeeeeee tears that will flow now can be gathered for me because I need salt in my system

Y'Allah , The Lord's work was done
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:19pm On Jul 16, 2020
Afob my man, trust you are doing Good

how far, hope say you dey learn something now

Afobear:
Who can tell me what happened A year ago Yesterday ? I come and in peace brethren to preach the Gospel
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by seankafor(m): 7:30pm On Jul 16, 2020
Which kind nonsense formation vilarell wan play?

I hope say he no plan to pack bus
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:35pm On Jul 16, 2020
"Pigmouth" in afobear's voice, still dey bench. Wetin Rodgers chop?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tolulopefinest(m): 7:42pm On Jul 16, 2020
seankafor:
Which kind nonsense formation vilarell wan play?

I hope say he no plan to pack bus

It resemble 442
Just checked...na 5-4-1 I dey see o grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by simiife: 7:52pm On Jul 16, 2020
Tolulopefinest:

It resemble 442 Just checked...na 5-4-1 I dey see o grin

Their coach wants to play spoiler for Madrid, anything can still happen tbh
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 7:57pm On Jul 16, 2020
Long leg good ooo, especially against player wey dey back you. Na to stretch comot the ball ooo. grin. Ndidi was made for CDM abeg. I hope say him fit improve him passing sha, especially under pressure. grin. For the internet coaches wey dey make noise say Rodgers put Kelechi for bench, wetin you think?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:05pm On Jul 16, 2020
benji93:
Long leg good ooo, especially against player wey dey back you. Na to stretch comot the ball ooo. grin. Ndidi was made for CDM abeg. I hope say him fit improve him passing sha, especially under pressure. grin. For the internet coaches wey dey make noise say Rodgers put Kelechi for bench, wetin you think?

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:16pm On Jul 16, 2020
Joebie:
"Pigmouth" in afobear's voice, still dey bench. Wetin Rodgers chop?

You body-shaming a guy who probably should be your younger siblings' age mate? Say whatever you want about his game but insulting his looks was quite stupid of you. You really need to grow up boy

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jul 16, 2020
Check out this excellent article on Chuks by the Independent! All creds to this Englishman for eloquently articulating the talent and promise of our jewel! Long, but worth the read!

Meet Samu Chukwueze, Villarreal and Nigeria’s bright star destined for the Premier League

One of Europe’s most exciting talents rejected Arsenal as a teenager and has been linked with interest from Chelsea and Liverpool

Tom Kershaw
9 hours ago

To understand the improbability of Samu Chukwueze’s rise, it’s easiest to start at the point where his career almost went up in flames. It wasn’t the lack of clean water in Umuahia, an area of dereliction, poverty and little hope: “not a ghetto in the Nigerian context, but a rough neighbourhood”. Nor was it his understated character, brimming with talent but unmistakably introverted, leading to him living in the Villarreal academy’s shared flats long after becoming an established member of the first team. The tipping point came somewhere in between, when Chukwueze’s mother and uncle piled up his football boots and training kit and set them ablaze, insisting he avoid needless distractions and focus on his education. For a while, one of the most exciting wingers in world football simply stopped playing at all.

Sometimes, a chance meeting is the only difference between idolisation and invisibility, the thin line between the pursuit of success and a fight for survival. One afternoon, one of Chukwueze’s cousins took him to meet Victor Apugo and swore on the shy teenager’s talent. “When he brought Samu to me, I took him for a trial at the Diamond Football Academy,” Apugo tells The Independent. “But when I took him to the club, the coach didn’t allow him to play because he was too small. I adopted Samu like my son and he lived in my house instead of the team camp. I convinced the coach of his talent and soon everyone recognised Samu’s potential. He won awards at every tournament.”

From the star of Nigeria’s U17 World Cup win to rejecting Arsenal and a rapid breakthrough at Villarreal, Chukwueze’s star is now all that burns bright. Unashamedly left-footed, with a sharp burst of pace and expressive repertoire of skills, he was until recently one of the most sought-after players on the continent, previously shortlisted by both Chelsea and Liverpool, with fees quoted anywhere between £35-65m.

“Samu was a world champion, it’s not like we took him from under a stone,” a director at Villarreal tells The Independent. “He’s a fantastic player and we are very happy for him to develop here. He started with the U19s, was there for only two weeks, the same thing happened with the U21s and he finished the season in the U23s. Then, in the summer, he came on the first-team tour.”

A mercurial talent, at times irrepressible, in others peripheral, Chukwueze is still only 21 years old. He has featured in all but one of Villarreal’s La Liga matches this season, with the club on the brink of securing a place in next season’s Europa League. But the shine that illuminated the nascent stages of his career has flickered on occasion. Three goals and five assists are comparable to other coveted wingers, such as Bayer Leverkusen’s Leon Bailey, but still feels a meagre output when tallied against his ability. Meanwhile, the club-record signing of Paco Alcacer in January has provided more competition in the starting XI.

Apugo, who is now part of Chukwueze’s management team, stresses that that playing time was the fundamental reason behind his move to the quiet coastal city. His representatives had fielded interest from Arsenal, RB Salzburg and Porto after the U17 World Cup, but decided Villarreal shared the “right vision for his career”. “Arsenal made a huge offer to us,” says Apugo. “But we were looking for a place where his development will be guaranteed at, at that time, we didn’t think Arsenal was the best place for him. That decision has been vindicated.”

For that reason, while this summer could still be a critical juncture for Chukwueze, there is no rush to seek a new challenge, despite constant outside interest. He is still learning and developing, steadily coming out of his shell off the pitch, a reticence still very much at odds with his brand of football. “Football is the career Samu chose and he understands what’s involved [such as being far away from home and family],” Apugo says. “I don’t think he will be finding anything difficult because he’s mentally strong. It can’t be worse than what he’s been through growing up.”

It’s a shared backbone that unites one of Nigeria’s most exciting generation of players, with impoverished and in some cases tragic childhoods underscoring a determination that thrives far from home. Victor Osimhen, one of Chukwueze’s closest friends, will join Napoli from Lille for a fee in excess of £45m in the coming days. Wilfried Ndidi has established himself as one of the best defensive midfielders in the world at Leicester, while Club Brugge’s Emmanuel Dennis is another irresistibly skilful forward.

“Samu is a fantastic player, of course, whatever happens happens,” says the Villarreal director. “For young players, we have competitive salaries. Maybe not at the top level.”

A move to England, at some stage, feels inevitable, with Chukwueze admitting last year that his “ambition is to play in the Premier League”. However, those same promises of playing time that persuaded him to sign for Villarreal in 2017 remain pivotal, and it’s not a decision that will be taken in haste. Chukweuze has three years remaining on his contract, and the pandemic has had a detrimental impact on suitors and price tags.

“They ask me about [Pau Torres and Chukwueze] and [clubs in England] think that they can make the step to the Premier League soon,” said former Arsenal midfielder Santi Cazorla. “It’s good that big clubs are interested in the young players at Villarreal but, for the moment, I’m asking them to stay here.”

(1) (2) (3) ... (8963) (8964) (8965) (8966) (8967) (8968) (8969) ... (16041) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Philosopher1979, iamdynamite(m), Joezinho, dkay51(m), Odunayaw(m), Mujtahida, elyte89 and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.