Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,677 members, 7,801,950 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:44 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (9549) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11529406 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9546) (9547) (9548) (9549) (9550) (9551) (9552) ... (16094) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:11am On Sep 22, 2020
Odunayaw:
Calling Tijani at this time just puts unnecessary pressure to "achieve" quickly on the boy's small shoulders.

Somebody that will come and snap picture and go back home. Who dey pressure am?

Which small shoulders he get? No be the one wey I dey see so? E small reach Ansu Fati own? Which kain talk be this?

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:13am On Sep 22, 2020
Meanwhile, Naija girls have discovered Okoye

They are sexualizing ya boy on Twitter grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:30am On Sep 22, 2020
minfelix:
List

Attack, defence and goalkeeper selections are spot on but how can the coach not consider Azeez?

He has started using sentiment to call players to the national team. Tijani and Onyeka ahead of Azeez? grin

Make I just dey look. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 1:01am On Sep 22, 2020
forgiveness:

Attack, defence and goalkeeper selections are spot on but how can the coach not consider Azeez?

He has started using sentiment to call players to the national team. Tijani and Onyeka ahead of Azeez? grin

Make I just dey look. grin

Started? Hasn't he always been sentimental to you? No matter who he selects or doesn't?

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:35am On Sep 22, 2020
Nigeria-eligible striker Ike Ugbo celebrated his birthday with a goal as Cercle Brugge earned a 3-0 win over Sint-Truiden in their First Division A game at the Jan Breydelstadion on Monday evening, allnigeriasoccer.com reports.

The Chelsea-owned player who turned 22 today drew a foul from defender Samy Mmaee in the 30th minute before dusting himself to beat Kenny Steppe from the spot, thus doubling his side's lead in the process.

With 52 minutes on the clock, he came close to adding a second but saw his speculative left-footed shot hit the upright after he received a pass from Kevin Hoggas.

Dino Hotić had earlier opened the scoring for the hosts while Vitinho added a late third to put the game to bed.

Ugbo netted on his top-flight debut in a 3-2 away win at Mechelen on August 22 but was unable to find the net in his next two games against KV Kortrijk and RSC Anderlecht.

A prolific scorer at youth level for Chelsea, the striker has been farmed out on loan to Barnsley, Milton Keynes Dons, Scunthorpe United and Roda JC to gain first team experience.

Cercle Brugge are back in action on Sunday when they face last season's Champions, Club Brugge.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lloydtruth: 6:07am On Sep 22, 2020
I have a feeling that after the matches against Ivory coast and Tunisia, players like Saka and Eze will make their national team decision known.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 6:07am On Sep 22, 2020
For the very first time, I am happy with pappi Rohr... His squad selection for the friendly game is spot on. We missed an opportunity in March and other FIFA windows that were closed due to the pandemic to assess new additions to the team... Excusing Akpeyi and Ezenwa is the best decision in a long while. This isn't because those called up are better than them, but our need to find the 3rd GK thumps anyother thing.

The newly invitees must count themselves lucky. There may no other room/time for such experimentation till the world cup. Except such prospective individuals are immensely exceptional.

Lets see what Okoye, Alampasu, Ejuke, Dessers, Tijani, Zaidu all have to offer. I hope they grab this opportunity.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:45am On Sep 22, 2020
jihday:
Alright NFF vice-president Seyi Akinwunmi

Don't chose to be ignorant I did my home work perfectly and I'm sure of what I'm saying
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 6:48am On Sep 22, 2020
AIG07:
For the very first time, I am happy with pappi Rohr... His squad selection for the friendly game is spot on. We missed an opportunity in March and other FIFA windows that were closed due to the pandemic to assess new additions to the team... Excusing Akpeyi and Ezenwa is the best decision in a long while. This isn't because those called up are better than them, but our need to find the 3rd GK thumps anyother thing.

The newly invitees must count themselves lucky. There may no other room/time for such experimentation till the world cup. Except such prospective individuals are immensely exceptional.

Lets see what Okoye, Alampasu, Ejuke, Dessers, Tijani, Zaidu all have to offer. I hope they grab this opportunity.

I didn't see Kingsley Ehizibue? Hope it's well? Or has the boy changed his mind?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 6:52am On Sep 22, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Ejuke made the list just as I said long time ago.

Tobias withdrew just as I first dropped here.

Zaidu made the list just as I also said.

Matthew Yakubu made the list just as I predicted after telling you all that Tobias has withdrawn.

Ebuehi also made it but on standby. I did say Rohr mentioned his likely return.

Then I also said the German-Nigerians are indeed coming but again it is subject to the actual status of their Switch process/Nigerian Passport sorting.

So there is no cruise to catch. I was spot on. You guys should learn to give due credits please.

The fact that some of you don't drop "exclusives" doesn't mean you should sound so condescending of those who do drop exclusives. Danke.

Good job The Supernerd. Please do you know why Tobias Lawal and Kingsley Ehizibue dropped? Why is Sebastian Osigwe not even considered for SE? Is he that bad?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:56am On Sep 22, 2020
Danielnino00:

Etebo is a CM in case you forgot..

And Iheanacho isn't living on past glory...Most of the invitees are there based on their performance last season... The new season is still fresh..
Iheanacho performed quite well last season,so he deserves to be there...

Yh etebo is a CMF but he has been playing as a DMF most times for Nigeria
Nigeria only had a Good CMF in aribo see his crazy runs to the box ....why would rohr drop azzez the dude had an assist in last match against Lesotho
His overall performance was still good.... Why tijani or frank over azzez A danish player over LA Liga player. Thats really unfair.
Back to nacho...nacho had a good season 2019/2020 he scored 10 goals and made 4 assists in 1000+ minutes but that doesn't reduce anything from maja who had 8 goals and 3 assists with 800+ minutes he had a good Goal per minute ratio than nacho and also remember he has stamped his feet for Bordeaux this season when nacho is busy sitting on the bench.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 7:04am On Sep 22, 2020
lloydtruth:
I have a feeling that after the matches against Ivory coast and Tunisia, players like Saka and Eze will make their national team decision known.

I no longer care much about the FBs who are yet to pledge their allegiance to us. Presently, considering the amount of talents coming up the ranks, anyone who rejects/ignore the chance to play for Nigeria is doing himself.

Lookman, Adarabioyo, etc come play for us dem de do Yanga... Today na dem de famz us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by temi1290: 7:10am On Sep 22, 2020
Ndidi in ur face till he hangs his boots,if e no sweet u locate the nearest transformer and kindly show some love

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 7:14am On Sep 22, 2020
solonnachi:

I didn't see Kingsley Ehizibue? Hope it's well? Or has the boy changed his mind?
I haven't come across any notable reasons for certain names ommissions.

Though the possibility of the recently switched absentees not getting a call up has been attributed to their inability to getting their Nigerian passport by some reputable monikers here. We can only wait to see how things unfold for subsequent call ups.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:56am On Sep 22, 2020
Odunayaw:
Calling Tijani at this time just puts unnecessary pressure to "achieve" quickly on the boy's small shoulders.

I don't agree with Azeez not making the team but rohr is only doing for Tijani what he did for Osimhen

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 8:14am On Sep 22, 2020
In a team like super eagles,some guys here are clamouring for ndidi to go! , Which kind mumu analyst we even get for this nairaland thread sef..an inform ndidi, a solid and consistent DM in Europe's most viewed league!....what do some of this beer parlor analyst even want sef...must everyone dribble and showboat like Eze,Ejaria, okocha? Some ogogoro analyst here are d ones you will choose as defender in a monkey post soccer and you will see them stingily holding on to ball till they get to opponent post,whereas they are defenders ooo.... nonsense! Make una Go and remove Ndidi na.. he's a blocker,tackler blablabla wat else do u guys expect from a reputable DM

13 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:14am On Sep 22, 2020
elunico:

Started? Hasn't he always been sentimental to you? No matter who he selects or doesn't?

He has always been sentimental in selection is a statement of fact.

I was waiting to see how he wants to drop Alampasu.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:16am On Sep 22, 2020
Danielnino00:

Etebo is a CM in case you forgot..

And Iheanacho isn't living on past glory...Most of the invitees are there based on their performance last season... The new season is still fresh..
Iheanacho performed quite well last season,so he deserves to be there...

KC has done NOTHING to justify inclusion 5 goals last in the EPL is mediocre.

However , what enables him is that apart from Victor and Ighalo, none of our strikers have hit high notes. We really lack quality competition in the striking department and are very very thin.

If a player like Ighalo or Osimhen gets too many yellows or an injury, then we are literally finished.

The list is not ambitious and all that bureaucratic complication in attaining FIFA clearance is just excuses. There has always been politics in the NFF and that will never end.

And if anyone thinks that Rohr is the only one deciding who gets on the list, you are delusional.

The midfield lacks invention and creativity apart from Iwobi, where will the creativity come from.

Seeing Ejuke looks promising.

The rest are thier on merit, past glories and there newbies apart from Ejuke I'm not sure.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:20am On Sep 22, 2020
sheyishemba:

Yh etebo is a CMF but he has been playing as a DMF most times for Nigeria
Nigeria only had a Good CMF in aribo see his crazy runs to the box ....why would rohr drop azzez the dude had an assist in last match against Lesotho
His overall performance was still good.... Why tijani or frank over azzez A danish player over LA Liga player. Thats really unfair.
Back to nacho...nacho had a good season 2019/2020 he scored 10 goals and made 4 assists in 1000+ minutes but that doesn't reduce anything from maja who had 8 goals and 3 assists with 800+ minutes he had a good Goal per minute ratio than nacho and also remember he has stamped his feet for Bordeaux this season when nacho is busy sitting on the bench.

KF scored 5 goals in the EPL thars the benchmark for quality not cup games against lower league opposition. It gives an exegerrated view of a players ability to use cup games IMO.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clint02(m): 8:23am On Sep 22, 2020
What of Michael Olise sef?,I thought that guy would be invited.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:24am On Sep 22, 2020
charlesemeka85:
Nigeria-eligible striker Ike Ugbo celebrated his birthday with a goal as Cercle Brugge earned a 3-0 win over Sint-Truiden in their First Division A game at the Jan Breydelstadion on Monday evening, allnigeriasoccer.com reports.

The Chelsea-owned player who turned 22 today drew a foul from defender Samy Mmaee in the 30th minute before dusting himself to beat Kenny Steppe from the spot, thus doubling his side's lead in the process.

With 52 minutes on the clock, he came close to adding a second but saw his speculative left-footed shot hit the upright after he received a pass from Kevin Hoggas.

Dino Hotić had earlier opened the scoring for the hosts while Vitinho added a late third to put the game to bed.

Ugbo netted on his top-flight debut in a 3-2 away win at Mechelen on August 22 but was unable to find the net in his next two games against KV Kortrijk and RSC Anderlecht.

A prolific scorer at youth level for Chelsea, the striker has been farmed out on loan to Barnsley, Milton Keynes Dons, Scunthorpe United and Roda JC to gain first team experience.

Cercle Brugge are back in action on Sunday when they face last season's Champions, Club Brugge.

Ike has not been impressive could not cut it at the various loan moves in England. To justify a place in the first or garnish interest from top Championship and or EPL clubs.

He has gone to a less competitive league, to show if he has it.

He has a long way to go IMO I don't even rate him as much as Chuba Akpom and he is nothing special too.

The SE needs much better.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 8:37am On Sep 22, 2020
minfelix:
List

It's as it for every position they playing, their names are arranged according to how important they are at the moment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 8:47am On Sep 22, 2020
komekn:

However , what enables him is that apart from Victor and Ighalo, none of our strikers have hit high notes. We really lack quality competition in the striking department and are very very thin.

If a player like Ighalo or Osimhen gets too many yellows or an injury, then we are literally finished.

The list is not ambitious and all that bureaucratic complication in attaining FIFA clearance is just excuses. There has always been politics in the NFF and that will never end.

And if anyone thinks that Rohr is the only one deciding who gets on the list, you are delusional.

The midfield lacks invention and creativity apart from Iwobi, where will the creativity come from.

The rest are thier on merit, past glories and there newbies apart from Ejuke I'm not sure.

remove ighalo. He is not good enough. Zero epl goal for Manchester united and you call that a striker? ABF striker!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 8:48am On Sep 22, 2020
komekn:

allows ighalo to enjoy his retirement in peace.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 8:59am On Sep 22, 2020
komekn:

1. As per striking we have Terem Moffi, Victor Boniface, Tolu Arokodare as young upcomming prospects. Also Cyriel Dessers is a good replacement with considerable experience. Taiwo Awoniyi just needs a steller season in Germarny

2. Samson Tijani is actually a deep lying play maker and so he has some creativity.

3. The problem is our most creative players dont play in top leagues. Obinna Nwobodo moved to Turkey and i hope he cuts it there as he is creative. Maybe some of the foreign born can fill this role.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by seankafor(m): 9:07am On Sep 22, 2020
Clint02:
What of Michael Olise sef?,I thought that guy would be invited.
aforbear was right when he called most guys here beer parlour analysts embarassed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 9:13am On Sep 22, 2020
solonnachi:

Incomplete passport processing cos of the COVID-19
Hopefully he gets it sorted before November
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by HotPoundedYam(m): 9:23am On Sep 22, 2020
safarigirl:

Which small shoulders he get? No be the one wey I dey see so? E small reach Ansu Fati own? Which kain talk be this?
lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 9:44am On Sep 22, 2020
komekn:

Oshey, NFF Reforms committee president, FIFA executive committee member. Gernot Rohr in an interview with BBC said October is too Early for Akpoguma. Even Colin Udoh a reputable journalist said Passport issue is what is delaying Ehiz and Ovie buh na u sabi say everything na politics. I Hall u sir

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 10:01am On Sep 22, 2020
but but calling Alampasu is not sentiments grin

guy just unlook it doesn't worth it

elunico:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:01am On Sep 22, 2020
Nice list. The only problem I have with it is the exclusion of Azeez. Seriously??

Azeez has every reason to be there. What was Rohr thinking?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:02am On Sep 22, 2020
safarigirl:

a certain camanviga(if I am.correct) played for d national team and he did very well...he's just 17 or 18 cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (9546) (9547) (9548) (9549) (9550) (9551) (9552) ... (16094) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: bossto(m), iamdynamite(m), lovewins and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.