Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,512 members, 7,808,870 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:22 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11989) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11583434 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11986) (11987) (11988) (11989) (11990) (11991) (11992) ... (16119) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tessyy1701: 3:02pm On Dec 29, 2021
kingphilip:

Even at that, we've not even seen how Eguavoen will set up his team and how they play to know if they'll play the same way.

It is still here that Rohr invites proper fullbacks and wingbacks and still keep them on the bench.

If Eguavoen sets up his team just like Rohr, that's when we should conclude that we sacked Rohr for nothing.

Thank You �
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:16pm On Dec 29, 2021
Kog45:
meaning Ndah and Nwakili are not in 40 man list....hope this guys don't failed Eguavoen.
Time will tell.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 3:26pm On Dec 29, 2021
stevemarkdangot:

Those local players are put in place because of injuries. You can't ask Ebuehi or lookman to come to camp leaving their club duties without the certainty of going to Afcon.
We all should drop this sentiment. Every foreign based player won't be called, that will always be the fact. And there will always be fringe players in the team this happens everywhere.
Let's just get behind them and hopefully, we put up a good show at the tournament.

40 man lists were submitted to Caf so that internationals are replaced with internationals in case of injury this is Afcon not any friendly

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:27pm On Dec 29, 2021
NFF- Eguavoen Responsible On Decision To Axe Ademola Lookman From Super Eagles AFCON Squad
Owngoalnigeria

Leicester City rave of the moment Ademola Lookman has been clearer by FIFA to play for Nigeria but was dropped by interim coach Austine Eguavoen, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal.

Lookman who has scored in his last two games for Leicester City against Manchester City and the winner against Liverpool yesterday was included in the 40 man list submitted by ex coach of the team Gernot Rohr.

The ex England international was picked by Rohr after getting the all clear by FIFA to play for Nigeria after representing England at several youth levels. He was even contacted by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and confirmed his availability for the tournament.

However new coach Austine Eguavoen opt against including him in his 28 man list for the tournament which starts in January next year for reasons best known to him according to a board member of the NFF.

” Lookman is cleared to play for Nigeria and he was even contacted on his availability in January which he confirmed. New coach Eguavoen however didn’t pick him in his squad. So it’s not our fault we did our own part in getting him cleared”, he explained.

Per a document made available to our editorial team, Lookman is the 37th name on Rohr’s list and his status was confirmed by CAF as eligible to play for Nigeria. He however didn’t make the cut after Eguavoen trimmed the squad to 28.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 3:29pm On Dec 29, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Nwakali is coming to camp because other players do not possess a key skill set Eguavoen needs for his strategy.

He can manage the others but he needs to see if he can get Nwakali to click because of his system.

I'm just using Nwakali as an example for somebody saying new invitations will disrupt the team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 3:32pm On Dec 29, 2021
Kog45:
Sir,every decisions took by Eguavoen on the list cannot be questioned....

I highlighted why Rohr failed especially on Ebuehi and Akpoguma....it's simple,Ebuehi as integral member of Afcon qualifier will make the team but Rhor didn't gave him the opportunity......On Akpoguma it was cleared that we need him but Rohr kept him on the bench which meant he wasn't good enough....this gave Eguavoen opportunity to look elsewhere and brought in Ndah who he believed he can do it.

If am the coach I will pick Ebuehi and Akpoguma but Rohr himself didn't rate the duo and I don't see Ebuehi making it even with Rohr but possibly Akpoguma.

The only grievances you can have against Austin Eguavoen was inclusion of Olisa Ndah,nothing more.

Why are you using reasons that got Rohr sacked to justify Eguavoen? Who doesn't know that Ebuehi is better than Shehu and Jamilu Collins or that Bassey is currently our most inform defender or that Dessers or Lookman are better than Ighalo and Ahmed Musa, is it rocket science?

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 3:38pm On Dec 29, 2021
It turns out Lookman and Bassey were in the list afterall

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:39pm On Dec 29, 2021
drDoom3:

In South Africa? No he is not.

As a striker, yes, it is possible to be in an obscure league and still be able to compete. As a defender, you need crucial experience playing with the best strikers regularly to really hone your game. CC Ekong, he looked decent in Italy and Turkey, but when he came to the prem and met strikers like Salah and Sterling, guy couldn't match up. Some of the mistakes he has been making would have been eased out of his game much earlier in his career if he started playing guys like Salah and Sterling when he was much younger.

Ndah may look good playing against strikers from Kwara United and Orlando Pirates, but what happens when he starts an AFCON match and he has to mark Mahrez or Haller or Salah? Will he still be the real deal?
My brother... Half of my account to you!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:59pm On Dec 29, 2021
Those hyping our players foreign born or home grown...please continue to do so and increase the volume. For those complaining and am sure were still suckling their mothers breasts; cannot recall a time when all we celebrated was how many minutes our players played. Most of our players were certified bench warmers. We have been in the football wilderness and suffered various indignities. We were called "Super Chickens" and the butt of various jokes. Now we have players that score, assist and put up man of the match performances week in week out. Let us continue to hype to the high heavens cause no one will do it for us. This is our time and lets make it loud.

13 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lindaparker: 4:03pm On Dec 29, 2021
⚽️365Ball is coming to Nigeria, now launches the "Invite Friends to Earn Rewards" campaign: If you have valid information on this platform, you can invite other friends by sharing promotion links and customer service contact information. If you successfully invite a friend, you can get 77₦, and friends you invite will also have a chance to get 77₦. And can participate in the activity of sharing the cash from advertising, and successfully invite 7 effective customers to immediately win 777₦, and have the opportunity to draw the lucky prize of our platform, the cash prize 777777₦(NGN)⚽️

Nigeria has successfully introduced the 365ball financial market. Recruitment order: As long as you are over 18 years old, have a mobile phone, and have WIFI,
you can earn 10,000 NGN every day . Only in Nigeria! Whatsapp https:///+2347061324448

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by POSITIVEBRAINS: 4:24pm On Dec 29, 2021
Any camp update
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 4:25pm On Dec 29, 2021
jasena:
If this team is accessed in relation to the quality of opposition then we should agree that this team is average. I don't think it is the best Nigeria has to offer. I don't see what musa brought to the table in the last nations cup, surprised he is still making it to this nations cup. Oshimem isn't fit, and shouldn't be managed because this isn't a training session. Kenneth Omeruo and Shehu Abdullahi play in second division in Spain and Cyprus as against Kevin akpoguma, ebuhi who play for top flight clubs in top leagues. Is Ndah a world class defender? Cyril dessert dishonoured an invitation from Belgium in favour of Nigeria, he scored a brace at Europa the other day with feynoored, we ignore him for igalo. The worse part is the midfield, what will iwobi do? Against Algeria in the last nations cup the midfield became the territory of Algeria and we were only lucky that a hand ball gave us a consolation goal. Victor moses would have been far more effective than musa.

We can lift the AFCON trophy with what we have.
We are not average.
An attack that has Osimhen, Iheanacho, Chukwueze is not average.

A midfield that has Ndidi, Nwakali, Iwobi and Ejuke is not average.

I have been conducting an in-depth assessment of our players and what they can offer in juxtaposition with players from some of the African powerhouses, and i can tell you that we have what it takes to beat any team, if the coach is right with his tactics and player deployment.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 4:36pm On Dec 29, 2021
SerVik:
I thought Ejaria's switch started the same time as Lookman? He wasn't even in the 40man list
Lookman switch I'm not sure if it is completed yet.

Maybe they wanted to take a gamble because there's no news anywhere that the switch is completed.

If it was completed, our resident Southgate would have duly informed us after his last closed door meeting with Lookman after the Manchester game.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:36pm On Dec 29, 2021
dijon:
Uhmm, TheGoodjoe, all what you wrote does not inspire confidence. Are we going for a jamboree or to win the Afcon in Cameroon? The bolded says it all...how many times has he started a match for the Super Eagles wearing the captain band? How many XG per match as a forward does he have for the team in 6 qualifying matches to date? I thought Rorh was a very good riddance but the new coach dampened my expectations concerning this Afcon. I know Naija will be great one day.

We have a history of respecting captains. Keshi was injured during AFCON 94 and was not dumped. You think Keshi could not have dropped Yobo for AFCON 2013 or the World Cup? But he went with him.

There is a respect that goes with being the Super Eagles captain. It was Eguavoen himself that captained the Nations Cup team in 94 and gave the band to Keshi to lift he cup. He knows the history of the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 4:38pm On Dec 29, 2021
jasena:
If this team is accessed in relation to the quality of opposition then we should agree that this team is average. I don't think it is the best Nigeria has to offer. I don't see what musa brought to the table in the last nations cup, surprised he is still making it to this nations cup. Oshimem isn't fit, and shouldn't be managed because this isn't a training session. Kenneth Omeruo and Shehu Abdullahi play in second division in Spain and Cyprus as against Kevin akpoguma, ebuhi who play for top flight clubs in top leagues. Is Ndah a world class defender? Cyril dessert dishonoured an invitation from Belgium in favour of Nigeria, he scored a brace at Europa the other day with feynoored, we ignore him for igalo. The worse part is the midfield, what will iwobi do? Against Algeria in the last nations cup the midfield became the territory of Algeria and we were only lucky that a hand ball gave us a consolation goal. Victor moses would have been far more effective than musa.
Not in support of Ndah's call up but is any of your defenders world class including the Apkoguma you are campaigning for?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:39pm On Dec 29, 2021
Subzero047:

40 man lists were submitted to Caf so that internationals are replaced with internationals in case of injury this is Afcon not any friendly

You can't ask Ebuehi or lookman to come to camp leaving their club duties without the certainty of going to Afcon.

His point is too simple. You CAN'T. No club will release a player that is not on the official list of CAF during active football.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 4:40pm On Dec 29, 2021
Meliforme:

We can lift the AFCON trophy with what we have.
We are not average.
An attack that has Osimhen, Iheanacho, Chukwueze is not average.

A midfield that has Ndidi, Nwakali, Iwobi and Ejuke is not average.

I have been conducting an in-depth assessment of our players and what they can offer in juxtaposition with players from some of the African powerhouses, and i can tell you that we have what it takes to beat any team, if the coach is right with his tactics and player deployment.

lolllllllllllllll

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 4:42pm On Dec 29, 2021
do4luv14:

hahahsha cheesy

ah see you, but I read that camp opens on 29th which is today, or am I missing something
I read the clubs have agreement with CAF to release players by 3rd at most especially those league having tough fixtures around this period.

So even if the camp starts, I'm not sure we will see too many faces until the 3rd sha

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:46pm On Dec 29, 2021
Subzero047:

Why are you using reasons that got Rohr sacked to justify Eguavoen? Who doesn't know that Ebuehi is better than Shehu and Jamilu Collins or that Bassey is currently our most inform defender or that Dessers or Lookman are better than Ighalo and Ahmed Musa, is it rocket science?

Eguavoen has made it so clear. We will use the team on ground. There is not even time for a friendly. So you can not integrate players that have not fearured regularly for the team. We need some synergy.

Even me who is a big fan of changes know how important synergy is. With the idea he will make some tactical switches, he can not push it too far.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:48pm On Dec 29, 2021
Plateau United vs Kwara United for any who want to check out. The pitch is much better also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aRKikK9Qf0

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:50pm On Dec 29, 2021
Newly promoted Gombe United have been so good against Akwa United that the fans in Uyo gave them a round of applause at half time

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 4:59pm On Dec 29, 2021
kingphilip:

Lookman switch I'm not sure if it is completed yet.

Maybe they wanted to take a gamble because there's no news anywhere that the switch is completed.

If it was completed, our resident Southgate would have duly informed us after his last closed door meeting with Lookman after the Manchester game.

Who do we really blame? Lookman, NFF, Southgate, Rohr or Eguavoen? It seems NFF have not played their part in Lookman's case or the player is reluctant due to pressure from England
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 5:12pm On Dec 29, 2021
solonnachi:

Who do we really blame? Lookman, NFF, Southgate, Rohr or Eguavoen? It seems NFF have not played their part in Lookman's case or the player is reluctant due to pressure from England
Well I don't have full information about the issue sha whether he has been cleared or not.

Whatever it is, by March next year when the final world cup qualifying match is played, we'd get the full details or earliest in the coming days sha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 5:17pm On Dec 29, 2021
Guys drop one or two comments about this formation and personnel.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:19pm On Dec 29, 2021
Still from the last match day. Remo Stars vs Heartland FC

Gbenga Ogunbote's boys looking good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cYeSWb7q4w

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 5:39pm On Dec 29, 2021
Meliforme:
Ejuke in midfield?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Stormtrooper11(m): 5:43pm On Dec 29, 2021
SerVik:
I thought Ejaria's switch started the same time as Lookman? He wasn't even in the 40man list
Cyril desssers no even dey sef
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 6:13pm On Dec 29, 2021
Odunayaw:
Ejuke in midfield?

Very yes,

He owns movements that can open up defenses. He is also a good passer of the ball. His long balls are also very good.

You can also notice that the front three have good pace, Having a midfielder with good dose of trickery and pace is very good for counterattacking football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 6:16pm On Dec 29, 2021
Odunayaw:
Ejuke in midfield?

Having Ejuke and Nwakali in midfield brings a lot of options when attacking.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 6:27pm On Dec 29, 2021
Meliforme:

We aren't leaving CM to Nwakali to support Ndidi. That Middle will suffer.

I will opt for an exact Etebo-esque player. Only then can that Midfield be tops compared to others.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 6:50pm On Dec 29, 2021
Eagles have a new coach

Reactions??

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 6:56pm On Dec 29, 2021
Meliforme:

Very yes,

He owns movements that can open up defenses. He is also a good passer of the ball. His long balls are also very good.

You can also notice that the front three have good pace, Having a midfielder with good dose of trickery and pace is very good for counterattacking football.
His positional discipline is too poor to play there. The midfield will suffer and be overrun many times

(1) (2) (3) ... (11986) (11987) (11988) (11989) (11990) (11991) (11992) ... (16119) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Kog45(m), Odunayaw(m), opes, Joebie, humility33(m), bennie1980(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.