Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,541 members, 7,808,994 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:44 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12190) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11584263 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12187) (12188) (12189) (12190) (12191) (12192) (12193) ... (16119) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:02pm On Jan 11, 2022
drDoom3:

The Egyptian defender was faster than Iwobi... He would have stopped Iwobi way before he came anywhere near the 18. You can't give a pass that early if you see that who you are passing to will be closed down, that's basic tactics.

See how the defender completely covered that area, so much so that Iwobi had to drift away to see if he could pounce on the loose ball or if Ejuke would square it.
If attackers always wait for their co-attackers to be totally free, many goal scoring opportunities will slide. I still maintain that Iwobi was free. And based on the way Iwobi plays if Ejuke had given him that pass, Iwobi would possibly have given it to Sadiq who was open and free.

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:02pm On Jan 11, 2022
Curtisaxel10:
Who else cashed out with me? grin. F**k bookies!
You're not alone bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 9:03pm On Jan 11, 2022
markfem2:
Chukwueze was missing in action today.
Simon surprised everyone
Iheanacho was the star of the match
Omeruo and Ekong were decent in the defence
Ndidi showed class in his performance
Aribo and Aina was at their best today
Ejuke could have done better
Awoniyi was above average
Overall the Super Eagles by their superb performance have sent a strong message which is that they are at Afcon to win.
I think Ejuke is being judged too harshly. He hit two good shots from a tight angle. I wanted him to pass the second one to Iwobi, but from the replay, Iwobi would hardly have got it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 9:03pm On Jan 11, 2022
Mujtahida:

I take your analysis with a huge pinch of salt. I think your prejudice is coloring your views.
I rarely accuse commenters with prejudice or hate but how come you criticizing Sadiq who came when we were doing more of defending than attacking and praising Semi Ajayi over Omeruo who had a superb game? Why wouldn't Ajayi do more when as a defender he joined in to strengthen our defense against the Egyptian attack?

Semi the foreign born over the naija born players abi? There's a disturbing pattern which is congruent with your manifest live for foreign born players over local players.
I think his expectation plays a role on his bias.

If you go through the comment, you'd find him saying he never expected that from Ajayi, meaning he doesn't even watch these guys but have a fixed mindset that they should play this way and that's what he's using to judge Sadiq too.

I think that's why most commenters here usually tell him to watch players first before writing comments about them or he should stick to the EPL players since those are the players he watches more.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 9:03pm On Jan 11, 2022
humility33:

Rohr would have started Shehu ahead of Aina
Damn...that man need to be arrested asap
SMH true true Rohr no try in some respects

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 9:05pm On Jan 11, 2022
elyte89:
Meanwhile shey we go still need paseiro like dis...d anti local coaches papi85, humility and co grin
Unlike Rohr, Peseiro has a good CV at least. But he better start to perform immediately. Else we wee roast him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 9:05pm On Jan 11, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Did you watch the last 10 mins of the game?

Nwakali created a big chance for ejuke with a beautifully worked counter from the right wing after he received a turnover from an Egyptian chance and kept the ball, feeding Ejuke who interchanged a pass with him again before Nwakali smartly sent him on the run with a beautiful through pass into space.

I wonder how you missed that. Coz you won't be a this funny question if you clearly saw that.

Nwakali had a very good Cameo. Pressed well... and even almost bagged an assist. Respect the lad. cool

I saw that chance. But the conclusion isn't supposed to be "a very good cameo"

That will be exaggerating.

He wasn't the worse on the pitch though. Lets see if he'd get more minutes consequently.

Aribo and Nacho seem to be going nowhere anytime soon.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:06pm On Jan 11, 2022
drDoom3:

Sadiq had much less of the ball than Ajayi did.

FFS how does a striker show his value when the entire team is parking the bus? That's just like saying Ederson performs poorly in Man City games because he rarely sees the ball.
He believes he is the best analyst here but he couldn't see the game in its phases. He couldn't see we were defending more than attacking.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:06pm On Jan 11, 2022
Eguavoen on how the team dealt with the Salah threat

"Salah is one of the best players in the world, the strategy wasn't a specific marker, but we instructed the players to close him down at any time and they must be a second player behind the marker."

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 9:07pm On Jan 11, 2022
Omanambala:

Probably because Nwakali didn't have enough time to warrant full assessment. The AFCON just started and everyone cant play the same time. Let him have his opportunities like others.

I support this. Hopefully he gets more minutes.

But personally, no big hopes up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 9:07pm On Jan 11, 2022
12large1:

Nkita I prefer a player to force his opponents keeper to a save than to dribble and ballon the ball anywhere belle face.. foolish son of a prostitute nkita
Useless pig with no brain, we as Nigerian reject your useless ideology of football.. play ball make keeper save than cross ball for strike to score goals.....u are a very useless pig....condom would have saved this nairaland thread from u dis monumental disgrace.......thunder from strike your brain into pieces
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:08pm On Jan 11, 2022
mostob:
I'll take this 1:0 sha but I was expecting us to score more.

And Aribo needs to be moved forward,he is a goal-threat.

Ejuke was disappointing but I no go blame am.

Sanusi was the weak link today
but I still no go blame am grin grin

Abeg make somebody tell Okoye to stop sleeping on the floor anytime he catch simple ball. The thing funny die... Dude be doing like secondary school amateur goalkeeper grin grin
His distribution was poor today sha but may God bless him for that save.

Exactly

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:08pm On Jan 11, 2022
Though I'm not sold on Ejuke because I think he still plays sec school football, but I will forgive him today because he was played out of position. He would bury at least one of those chances of they came while he was playing from LW

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eizzy003(m): 9:09pm On Jan 11, 2022
Abeg make wanna tell Osimhen make e da calm down abeg, this 1 dn pass cruise ooo, he should remember he is a public figure.

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 9:10pm On Jan 11, 2022
dkay51:

Ejuke that played ekuke football is the one you're praising grin

You people no kill pesin for this thread.

Ejuke had Iwobi in the middle and didnt pass and played into the side netting and you called that one threatening the keeper.
The guy is one of the most useless football discussant I've ever seen on this thread, his ideas has never been on point always capping smelly smelly post.....maggot head, useless human being

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:10pm On Jan 11, 2022
Watford interested in Samuel kalu

Don’t know how true or serious sha

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 9:10pm On Jan 11, 2022
chrisooblog:
SMH true true Rohr no try in some respects
Thank God he is gone for good
I am really happy the team is playing well so the new coach com Ing on board will understand that he is starting on a very good benchmark

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 9:10pm On Jan 11, 2022
bazooka1:

It's only on this thread I saw anyone critique Moses Simon, even on the man of the match thread in the front page, 90% gave Simon their man of the match.
It's a tells that some lads here didn't watch the game with an open mind.
Did you notice the standing ovation he was given by the crowd when he was leaving?
Okocha is a respected icon of the game in Africa, I don't think I can disregard his opinion to believe yours tbh.

That's why i said most time in my reply

No ex footballer long in the game has the most accurate record to be of selecting a MOTM. Not that i disagree with Okocha. But to make you not make it seem like some rule, giving the superior opinion to an ex player in matters like this. That's my angle.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 9:11pm On Jan 11, 2022
I concur. Simon actually impressed me today and I am one of his biggest critics. I think today is one of his best games in the Super Eagles shirt.

All in all, my MoM is Ola Aina. Honorable mentions:
- Kenneth Omeruo
- Moses Simon
- Joe Aribo
- Wilf Ndidi

Others were just average.

O pari

TheSuperNerd:
His cross led to our goal. And his crosses caused mayhem in the box almost everytime for Egypt even though he could have done better with the accuracy of the delivery.

Just give it to the man. He did great today.

And yes Ejuke was good too when he came on but he wasted a beautiful opportunity set up by Nwakali.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 9:11pm On Jan 11, 2022
andrewbaba44:

They like africa players but barely release them for international tourney
Nonsense club

It seems that Leeds interest in Aina is true the commentator said it

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:11pm On Jan 11, 2022
andrewbaba44:

They have already signed 3 African players this January oo, so e fit dey serious
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PurpleHouse(m): 9:12pm On Jan 11, 2022
ChrisKels:

Man you too emotional and weak. Nobody send nobody hear, don't be a cry baby. If person push you, push am back without looking for support always grin

You don't know me so I won't respond to you.

And naaah. I ain't looking for no support system bro.

I single-handedly fought all my lecturers who said I won't graduate because I nor rub palms, cultist who wanted me to bam and I refused, then excaped assasination, and also handled my project supervisor in his office who vowed to frustrate my life.

I single-handedly made them crumble, got my results, and left the school like a boss. They were asking every everybody "who is his father?" Lol Me wey lost my papa since my teenage years.

Nobody else has challenged lecturers in my school and gone free. I did, confidently because my fight was just and right.

So you don't know me.

Till today them still dey fear me for that university. I fought like a wounded lion, ALONE.

I am not weak or emotional. I just hate nonsense.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:12pm On Jan 11, 2022
Majority of nairalanders commenting on front page think Moses Simon deserves man of the match ,even if nacho also deserves to get it

But Na here some people Dey criticize Simon grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 9:12pm On Jan 11, 2022
12large1:

Ejuke end product was much better than Simon own in today’s game but he needs to look up and become less selfish.. as a winger, your first duty is to learn how to cross the ball
Look at the idiot fool....go and tell him to look up na,....ode oshi.....that's what u want us to be watching always... Run run run selfishly without passing ball....ode buruku
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:12pm On Jan 11, 2022
In 10mins, he only had 3 passes and 3 touches and two of each were passes made to create that last min big chance for Ejuke. He didn't need 90 but just 10 to already create a chance showing how creative he is from deep. Isn't that very good indeed? How is it exaggerated?

He also pressed when we were defending. I recall even Iwobi that came in later than Nwakali had a ball cleared away via header for a late corner. They all did well off the bench.

Believe me, Eguavoen made the right call. He actually intended to finish off the game which informed his introduction of Ejuke, Sadiq and Nwakali. He knew all could contribute defensively on a decent level but he also wanted us to still keep control in the dying stages. Not a bad tactical move if you ask me coz it actually paid off and almost resulted in a beautiful second goal.

daveP:

I saw that chance. But the conclusion isn't supposed to be "a very good cameo"

That will be exaggerating.

He wasn't the worse on the pitch though. Lets see if he'd get more minutes consequently.

Aribo and Nacho seem to be going nowhere anytime soon.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:13pm On Jan 11, 2022
JohnBullMySon:
I wonder how Pinnick will take the Criticism if Equavoen wins the AFCON and Peseiro comes to take over grin
And then God forbid fails to qualify us for the WC.
Omo na gobe be that
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:14pm On Jan 11, 2022
Iheanacho goal fit be goal of the tournament

17 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 9:14pm On Jan 11, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
In 10mins, he only had 3 passes and 3 touches and two of each were passes made to create that last min big chance for Ejuke. He didn't need 90 but just 10 to already create a chance showing how creative he is from deep. Isn't that very good indeed? How is it exaggerated?

He also pressed when we were defending. I recall even Iwobi that came in later than Nwakali had a ball cleared away via header for a late corner. They all did well off the bench.

Believe me, Eguavoen made the right call. He actually intended to finish off the game which informed his introduction of Ejuke, Sadiq and Nwakali. He knew all could contribute defensively on a decent level but he also wanted us to still keep control in the dying stages. Not a bad tactical move if you ask me coz it actually paid off and almost resulted in a beautiful second goal.

Lemme agree with all you said, except that 'very'!

Mba! cool

Very no be am abeg.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:14pm On Jan 11, 2022
You know.... I was just about to analyse on Ola Aina and I realised he would be 4th in my list of top performers. It is crazy coz he is actually the highest rated player on Sofascore. Aina dropped a Masterclass showing today. No caps.

Like i said, all the players had Solid showings. Even Omeruo and Ekong were absolutely solid and their ball playing from the back was beautiful to behold.

Icon79:
I concur. Simon actually impressed me today and I am one of his biggest critics. I think today is one of his best games in the Super Eagles shirt.

All in all, my MoM is Ola Aina. Honorable mentions:
- Kenneth Omeruo
- Moses Simon
- Joe Aribo
- Wilf Ndidi

Others were just average.

O pari

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:15pm On Jan 11, 2022
humility33:

They like africa players but barely release them for international tourney
Nonsense club

It seems that Leeds interest in Aina is true the commentator said it

Lol

Watford sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 9:15pm On Jan 11, 2022
daveP:

I support this. Hopefully he gets more minutes.

But personally, no big hopes up.

Did you have big hopes for Ekong , Omerua and Moses ?

You guys sound a bit personal with this Nwakali issue....almost like a passion of hate!

This is a player who has brought glory to this land as a team captain. It's ffucking insane the amount of hate the boy catch here....He is a national hero !!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 9:15pm On Jan 11, 2022
andrewbaba44:

No need to bash awoniyi ,and I also think the bash on ejuke isn’t necessary also

I'm just trying to show the level of favoritism on this thread. It seems people have set opinions on certain players and when those players don't do well they immediately rush to bash the players and justify their sentiments.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12187) (12188) (12189) (12190) (12191) (12192) (12193) ... (16119) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Joezinho, dkay51(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.