Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,286 members, 7,780,649 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:40 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12398) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11322086 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12395) (12396) (12397) (12398) (12399) (12400) (12401) ... (16041) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jan 21, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Because one journalist said Oliseh is a poor coach. Can a poor coach do what Oliseh did at Fortuna Sittard? That is top quality coaching.

Oliseh had a torrid time with our team. His players starved during CHAN, being owed. He even fell seriously ill at that time and was still coaching with sickness.

How long was Oliseh coach? Some months. Rohr had years and less interference. The journalist just threw in Oliseh's name to try to pain an indigenous coach badly.
oliseh was a poor coach for nigeria

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:47pm On Jan 21, 2022
Odunayaw:
Not taking anything away from the save but Ekong's challenge on Salah made it easier for Maduka

Ekong's attempt to make Salah offside is the entire reason Maduka was in that situation to begin with, his challenge was not calculated, it was a rush to remedy a situation he created.

So, yeah, Ekong's mistake to begin with, but if that left leg was not in the way, Salah would have scored that, and Ekong's challenge would have been for nothing.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 7:48pm On Jan 21, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

I know you guys will bring in Paul Onobi but that is the coach's decision. Rohr brought in Okoye, Westerhoff brought in Amokachi, Eguavoen is bringing Kelechi Nwakali and Ndah.

Coaches will always have preferences.

I remember how we screamed for Michael Babatunde for Keshi carrying him to the world cup and he turned out brilliant. So that is his choice.

I repeat, it is impossible for a poor coach to do what Oliseh did at Sittard.

Voted best Coach of the Dutch Jupiler League

Saved the team from relegation to the 3rd Division in a phenomenal way even though 9 points were deducted from the club on financial irregularities by the Dutch Football Federation.

In 14 months in charge, took team from 19th position to 1st position

We won the Club’s first trophy/title in 23 years on the 12th of January 2018 (the Lucrative Period’s Title)

Qualified team for season ending playoffs into the Ere Divisie (First Division)

Helped produce a player, sold for I believe, over 2.5 million Euros to Ajax Amsterdam in Perr Schuurs.

Team’s performance helped raise the spectators to the Fortuna stadium from around 950 spectators to 8,000 spectators with its huge financial benefits to the club

Record breaking first coach to ever win 8 consecutive “home” games in Fortuna Sittard

Record breaking first coach ever in the club’s history to win 7 consecutive games (21 points from 21)

Adjudged as the Fortuna coach with best average points per game since 1980 (38 years)

https://silverbirdtv.com/sunday-olisehs-records-fortuna-sittard-speaks-volume/[/b]
After Oliseh, Siasia coached us and our setup was not bad. Before Rohr, Salisu coached us and our setup was not bad. I even remember the invitation of Raheem Lawal and how well he played.

So how can they bring in Oliseh's name?

The rot was down to Rohr.
back to his time in the Netherlands, hope you know nobody rates a coach based on a season of football? DiMatteo won UCL with Chelsea but today no serious club will hire him, Alan Pardew was once named EPL coach of the season, almost qualified Newcastle for the champions league had their highest finish in a long time but today I don’t think any serious club will go for him. As we have one season wonder players we also have one season wonder coaches, you have to be consistent to be properly rated as a coach

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jan 21, 2022
jihday:
you keep mentioning Fortuna, I’m talking about Super eagles. Did Rohr bench any world class keeper for Okoye or did westerhof drop a world class player for Amokachi? Where’s Paul Onobi today? Rohr did very well with Nigeria, I’ll rate him 6/10. Oliseh took us to the trenches, we were so bad that in a group that had Algeria and Cameroon we were seeded 3rd, that means we weren’t even top 10 in Africa. Oga comot bias and talk true for once it won’t hurt you
lol,rohr did well for nigeria? hahahaha, what a joke. rohr was a calamity for nigeria.he almost singlehandedly ruined nigeria football
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:50pm On Jan 21, 2022
Kog45:
Femi Otedola already promised $250k(130 million naira)for Afcon trophy.
They have started oooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:52pm On Jan 21, 2022
MetalJigsaw:
3 Nigerian Players Eguavoen should drop ahead of their Round-Of-16 Fixture against Tunisia.
News Hub Creator
The super eagles of Nigeria will face off with Tunisian national team on Sunday in their round of 16 encounter of the ongoing African Cup Of Nations tournament, but there are some players the coach should drop ahead of the match. Here are 3 players Eguavoen should drop ahead of their round of 16 encounter.

Photo Credit: Daily Post.

1 - Maduka Okoye: The young goal keeper started between the sticks for the super eagles in their first two matches of the tournament, but it is very clear that he is not very good in making saves and he is always wet shaky. He only kept a clean sheet against Egypt because of the excellent work that was done by the defenders.

Francis Uzoho should be the man between the sticks for the super eagles of Nigeria when they take on the cottage eagles of Tunisia, the match is expected to be a tough one but Francis Uzoho is capable of making the necessary saves. He was very fantastic for the team against Guinea-Bissau.

Photo Credit: Own Goal Nigeria.

2 - Chidera Ejuke: This is another player who should not be included in the starting lineup that will play for the super eagles on Sunday against Tunisia, he performed below expectations when he was used against Guinea-Bissau.

He played in his preferred position but he could not make any impact in the team, Moses Simon has always been a better player and the coach should not make the mistake of starting Chidera Ejuke and keeping Moses Simon for the second half.

Photo Credit: Own Goal Nigeria.

3 - Umar Sadiq: The coach must also avoid the mistake of starting Umar Sadiq in their round of 16 encounter with the Tunisian national team. The Almeria striker is one of the worst strikers I have seen in the African Cup Of Nations tournament this year.

He squandered a very good chance against Guinea-Bissau and he was very poor in his positioning. His performance for the team in their last match showed why he is playing in the second division of the Spanish league.

Photo Credit: Soccer Net Nigeria.

In your own opinion, which goal keeper do you think should be the player between the sticks for Nigeria in their round of 16 encounter with Tunisia? Should it be Maduka Okoye or Francis Uzoho? Share your thoughts with us, thanks.

I am honestly tired of putting on a cape for Maduka, but if you want to give the defense props for his clean sheet against Egypt, we also need to give the same defense knocks for the goal Sudan scored, because man was flying home free with that clean sheet, if Aina had not unnecessarily pulled at a jersey and stepped on a foot

The Maduka hate train is now looking like it exists for a non-football reason. Perhaps, if his looks were closer to Uzoho's, there would be more faith in his game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Embell: 7:53pm On Jan 21, 2022
Aina is underrated.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 7:53pm On Jan 21, 2022
Mousup40:
oliseh was a poor coach for nigeria
Oliseh's deficiency is behavioural not tactical. He doesn't know how to talk and he so full of himself

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 7:54pm On Jan 21, 2022
Mousup40:
lol,rohr did well for nigeria? hahahaha, what a joke. rohr was a calamity for nigeria.he almost singlehandedly ruined nigeria football
he did well, could have been better but wasn’t bad. Qualified us for the World Cup against all hope also came third in Afcon beating Cameroon South Africa and Tunisia along the way. Considering where we were before he took over he did well

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:54pm On Jan 21, 2022
soetanoreoluwa:

Why are they bullying Henry? Lol.

I'm happy to see Aribo being so playful.

Nice team spirit.

Musa is also doing well in organising the boys.

One of the thing that can win us this trophy is unity and cohesion.
Top post
Even staff knows Onyekuru is the clown of the team. Nice bonding. Iwobi though. Doesn't seem eager, from the cliques formed. Might be wrong. Aribo looking like music artiste. Omeruo no wan comot Ndidi side. E no easy. Most of the young boys never even enter u17 when he was already a champ. He even looks younger than most of them.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 7:56pm On Jan 21, 2022
safarigirl:

I am honestly tired of putting on a cape for Maduka, but if you want to give the defense props for his clean sheet against Egypt, we also need to give the same defense knocks for the goal Sudan scored, because man was flying home free with that clean sheet, if Aina had not unnecessarily pulled at a jersey and stepped on a foot

The Maduka hate train is now looking like it exists for a non-football reason. Perhaps, if his looks were closer to Uzoho's, there would be more faith in his game.
from the drills i have watched, Maduka has been out-performing other goal keepers but I am more comfortable with Uzoho than Maduka

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:57pm On Jan 21, 2022
Mujtahida:

Peterside Idah said this yesterday on Sunrise Daily that he was told that previously under Rohr certain players would know two weeks to any of our match that they would be playing. He mentioned agents being responsible for this state of affairs but that now everyone has to hustle for a shirt
Imagine
Thing is that Eguavoen too fall prey to such wiles. But for now he's doing well
So there's some truth to my suspicion about selection from invitation down to xi. I hope more dust rises. E go funny if rohr is exonerated las las. Cos this is Nigeria!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:57pm On Jan 21, 2022
safarigirl:

Oh?

The internet lists his state as Adamawa, seen that in a few places.
Even before that guy told me yesterday, I felt he's yoruba but I thought he's from Kwara State.
I just googled and I'm seeing Adamawa too. I'll ask that guy again oo cos it's strange to see a yoruba man having English for all three of his names
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 8:00pm On Jan 21, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

You do not know too. You cannot judge a man's character by what you think.

Ain't judging. Did I judge?
What's the stories past coaches?
Allegations here and there

It is norms for agents to come with their money bag it is left for you to receive it or not.

What I know is that the temptation is so high to the extent that the so claim owner of hotel In France was allegedly influence by agent.

So I'm open minded.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:02pm On Jan 21, 2022
PurpleHouse:
This would have been a very good news about Pinnick. I would have really be happy about it as a Nigerian. But, Pinnick is too loyal to whites. He'll turn CAF to FIFA branch. And this won't be good for our football development. No sentiments.

I quite agree with you. Cos it will be good for his career but i can't say same about Nff. He can drag juicy deals backdoor better than many. Hopefully he doesn't become another Hayatou.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 8:05pm On Jan 21, 2022
daveP:

Even staff knows Onyekuru is the clown of the team. Nice bonding. Iwobi though. Doesn't seem eager, from the cliques formed. Might be wrong. Aribo looking like music artiste. Omeruo no wan comot Ndidi side. E no easy. Most of the young boys never even enter u17 when he was already a champ. He even looks younger than most of them.

Exactly.

Just hope and pray Cerezo maintain the level playing ground for everyone including input from the coaching staff.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero47: 8:08pm On Jan 21, 2022
Balogun starts for Rangers in the Scottish cup

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:08pm On Jan 21, 2022
soetanoreoluwa:

Exactly.

Just hope and pray Cerezo maintain the level playing ground for everyone including input from the coaching staff.

good as camp is lively and booming.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero47: 8:10pm On Jan 21, 2022
The return

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:10pm On Jan 21, 2022
safarigirl:

Women and emotions!

With this statement You've only succeeded in putting it beyond doubt that you're seriously feeling the nigga lol grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:10pm On Jan 21, 2022
zuchyblink:
from the drills i have watched, Maduka has been out-performing other goal keepers but I am more comfortable with Uzoho than Maduka

The only reason I would take Uzoho over Maduka, is because I would rather not get on the internet and see Maduka being trolled.

The preference of Uzoho over Maduka, if you dip it, is not because one is shaky and the other isn't. I have stated why people are more 'comfortable' with one player over the other.

This one is just a psychological thing, not football, and I get it, because sometimes, I also think Uzoho is better, but then I see some things he does, and I conclude they are both the same thing

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:12pm On Jan 21, 2022
Mujtahida:

They have started oooo

I think its undermining to Africa's biggest football brand to see business men still doing this so called "money motivation" since forever. I hate it, no matter the intention.

Can't something wisely be done so these kind of announcements stop altogether. We aren't playing for glory with money motivation. The late MKO did this too and it caught on as far as i remember. Does more harm than good for senior team compared to the cadet teams.

These men can channel their cash to help football generally than these announcements. angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:12pm On Jan 21, 2022
MetalJigsaw:
Women and emotions!

With this statement You've only succeeded in putting it beyond doubt that you're seriously feeling the nigga lol grin

I am not responsible for your interpretation of things, that's on you

And I find it funny that you think women are the ones with emotions, when it is men that are all over this thread throwing tantrums over their favorite players. You do not think that emotional?

Anyway, I understand your challenges.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:15pm On Jan 21, 2022
zuchyblink:
Maduka is solid at Sparta. Why does he fluster when in the GWG. They should get him a psychologist abeg. He has the frame to make an excellent goalkeeper. We should feel safe with him between the sticks

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:16pm On Jan 21, 2022
Subzero47:
The return

WC camp go tough. Chai. Especially the defenders list.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 8:17pm On Jan 21, 2022
safarigirl:

The only reason I would take Uzoho over Maduka, is because I would rather not get on the internet and see Maduka being trolled.

The preference of Uzoho over Maduka, if you dip it, is not because one is shaky and the other isn't. I have stated why people are more 'comfortable' with one player over the other.

This one is just a psychological thing, not football, and I get it, because sometimes, I also think Uzoho is better, but then I see some things he does, and I conclude they are both the same thing
Maduka drops a cross everybody goes ‘he’s too shaky, drop him’. Uzoho parries ball like a rookie but nobody is saying he’s shaky or lacks confidence. It’s just a mindset not football related

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:17pm On Jan 21, 2022
do4luv14:

Trust me, if Pinnick get that CAF presido Seat, em go market, and brand CAF wella

see as Super Eagles brand is growing under him,
And with this beautiful attacking football Austin and Eagles are playing, the sky is ours for the taking
i pray a better fellow comes in to take over. I dream for an exfootballer.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 8:20pm On Jan 21, 2022
Mujtahida:

A secondary school mate of Emmanuel Denis told me that Denis is from Kogi State. Even said Denis was not known for football when they were in secondary school.

Abeg o. Dennis that everybody knew in Kwara state then?

Even Awoniyi said it self then that just before his U-17 days, Dennis was the hottest prospect in Ilorin then.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:22pm On Jan 21, 2022
Anyway, I just heard that Maduka posted on Twitter, and I will now be going over there to engage in my favourite pastime of reading women simp for men and men ratio them.

Perhaps, some men on this thread need to get out of their feelings and try that. I always aim to maximize my entertainment from football, on and off the pitch grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 8:22pm On Jan 21, 2022
Yusuf and Dennis both start in Belgium and England
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 8:26pm On Jan 21, 2022
zuchyblink:
I think those who hate or under rates maduka is doing that based on reasons best known to them

He is not among the best in the world or in Africa but the best we can boast of. Also many easily forgets that he is just 21 abi 22 and as a goal minder will get better as the day goes. He has improved massively since debuting for the team by rising from German lower leagues to the eirdvisie, was voted best keeper in Holland’s top flight, became the super eagles number 1 and recently signed for an epl team. This signifies that he is improving and has potentials to be better in the nearest future

Rohr picked him as his first choice for a reason which many thought was based on sentiment because of his German lineage but now we have a new coach who see all the keepers in training since camp resumed who also picked him as his undisputed number 1 just because he is the best we can boast of currently

I bet you guys that this much maligned lad will grow to become the best in Africa in no distant time and may turn out to be the first Nigerian goal keeper to feature in the epl

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 8:27pm On Jan 21, 2022
Word of advice from Nwakali to those flogging the super eagles camp.

“In as much as we are trying yo entertain everybody, we must also not fall victim of the situation in the world. Even in clubsides , a lot of them don’t allow fans into the stadium due to covid-19. So we have to enjoy the moments and take it the way it is.”

However, when did cbn governor become an errand man?

(1) (2) (3) ... (12395) (12396) (12397) (12398) (12399) (12400) (12401) ... (16041) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, jihday(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.