Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,893 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:09 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12486) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11536061 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12483) (12484) (12485) (12486) (12487) (12488) (12489) ... (16098) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:29pm On Jan 25, 2022
forgiveness:

What was the duty of Iheanacho in that game?

Perhaps, if you knew his duty precisely you would have known why he ought to have been removed ASAP.

You did not mention duty in your post. So tell us the tactical change you were suggesting first half.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 5:37pm On Jan 25, 2022
komekn:

Bruv U deh talk deh matter like say na micro economics.

Look it's not a question of who is corrupt from the Judiciary, Legislative , Executive from gate keeper to President but WHO IS NOT.❓❓

A national coach accepts a bribe and is given his job back... Officials in the airport solicit bribes from travellers, you have to provide everything for yourself example your own water, electricity, grade the road & security..

Its that bad..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 5:53pm On Jan 25, 2022
Mujtahida:
Wahala dey.

okoye might turn out great for us, he is still young and growing
cut him some slacks my Oga D law

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 6:04pm On Jan 25, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

First, Eguavoen is part of the Technical Committee, not the technical crew. There are two different things.

Secondly, when you talk team work, formation, etc. You are talking of preference. However, Coach Eguavoen has a different perspective of the game. It is a pure offensive one but we used it to full effect.

That is down to him and his tactical acumen.

He also brought a clear improvement of players. Eguavoen is not for the glamor of possessive football. He wants it fast, direct and decisive. We saw it in full action in the four games.

When you are talking tactical flexibility, in the game against Tunisia, he showed it to the extreme.

Finally, saying we won by a lone goal against Egypt means you are only quantifying football by just the goal scored when football is far bigger than that.

It was debated extensively here and we totally outplayed the Egyptians.

So despite all your preferences, Eguavoen did it his way and gave a good account of himself.

Finito.

I doesn't matter whether he is part of technical committee or technical crew. The fact is, the players are not new to him. The players are not even new to me, how about someone who is closer. TheGoodJoe please give up on this one.

I agree with you it is just his preference, but he prefers a style of football with a crop of players that doesn't fit his preferences at all. Against Egypt out of a total of 15 crosses from Simon and Chukwueze, only 3 were successful. Against Tunisia only 1 out of 9 crosses were successful. Our long balls come mostly from our CB's to the wings, and not even from the midfield. Some of these long balls were not even successful. The successful ones were well anticipated and the wingers successfully marked out. The wingers were not even good at building plays from the midfield, because they are not midfielders, but inverted wingers.

Check out our passing accuracy, you will see how high the accuracy of our short passes are.
This tells you that we are more of a possessive side that loves to build up play not what Eguavoen is making us play.

We were a poorly coached side and Eguavoen's tactics and preferences dealt with us. i repeat he is a rigid coach. Only against Guinea Bissau did we see some flexibility, after which he reverted to his real self.

If Eguavoen did well, i will be among the people raising his banner. Hyping good works is part of what i love to do.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 6:09pm On Jan 25, 2022
Even with 1man Advantage Senegal never still score against Cape Verde

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 6:11pm On Jan 25, 2022
lovewins:

Did you watch the same game or another? It's okay to be dissatisfied with the result, but that shouldn't mean rewriting recent history. It was obvious the Tunisians came with a game plan having studied our wing play attack, but Eguavon changed formation, unfortunately it happened after they got the goal. Luck wasn't on outside, simple! But to claim the Tunisians played better or controlled the game would be false
Some here are desperately trying to rewrite history as an undercover "I told you so" about Eguavoen.

Very disgusting

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:12pm On Jan 25, 2022
Meliforme:

I doesn't matter whether he is part of technical committee or technical crew. The fact is, the players are not new to him. The players are not even new to me, how about someone who is closer. TheGoodJoe please give up on this one.

I agree with you it is just his preference, but he prefers a style of football with a crop of players that doesn't fit his preferences at all. Against Egypt out of a total of 15 crosses from Simon and Chukwueze, only 3 were successful. Against Tunisia only 1 out of 9 crosses were successful. Our long balls come mostly from our CB's to the wings, and not even from the midfield. Some of these long balls were not even successful. The successful ones were well anticipated and the wingers successfully marked out. The wingers were not even good at building plays from the midfield, because they are not midfielders, but inverted wingers.

Check out our passing accuracy, you will see how high the accuracy of our short passes are.
This tells you that we are more of a possessive side that loves to build up play not what Eguavoen is making us play.

We were a poorly coached side and Eguavoen's tactics and preferences dealt with us. i repeat he is a rigid coach. Only against Guinea Bissau did we see some flexibility, after which he reverted to his real self.

If Eguavoen did well, i will be among the people raising his banner. Hyping good works is part of what i love to do.
As I am saying, your term of poorly coached is a preference. You want the team to play a particular way.

The team is growing. I doubt that team has trained and played that way up to three weeks.

With time, a larger percentage of those crosses Will turn to goals. That is what happens when the team grows on a system.

How can you summarize the team was badly coached when the players even beat our expectations.

Did you expect Simon to perform that way? What of Ekong and Sadiq? I was shocked how good Collins performed under him.

The coach has a strategy and we can not deny how effective it is.

Even with a man down, we could dominate the Tunisians.

Let us leave preference and be factual. Eguavoen was effective and got the team playing well and in a fierce manner.

With time, he would sort other things out.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 6:12pm On Jan 25, 2022
Meliforme:

We re a possessive side that loves to build up play? Yet we have been crying for "a midfield orchestrator"!

Cool story bro

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 6:13pm On Jan 25, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

Did Bayern and PSG score 4 goals in the final 10 minutes U have no idea wat we were talking about just rest
Yes Bayern did pump in more goals in the last ten minutes because the play became stretched with Pique leaving holes at the back. So him going forward doesn't really change anything. Ramos would have been the best example even at that it's mostly set piece situations
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:13pm On Jan 25, 2022
Jose Peseiro’s resume is not that bad.

He was actually in Cameroon to observe the team.

Coached a team to gain promotion from 3rd division to 1st division within 3 years.

Coached Sporting Lisbon to finish 3rd place on the league and took them to UEFA cup finals.

Coached Panathinaikos to finish 3rd position in the Greece league.

Coached Aly Aly to win the Egyptian league though he left before the end of the season. The fact that he has experience in Africa counts a lot.

Coached a club in UAE to finish 3rd place position in the league.

Coached FC Porto

Coached Braga to finish 4th in the league and won the Portuguese cup. I think I watched that team because Echiejile was part of that team.

Coached Saudi Arabia

Coached Venezuela in the just concluded Copa America. Not bad.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 6:14pm On Jan 25, 2022
Una still dey here dey stand for Austin, una go taya oooo,
make una come see as coach dey play game, nah the Cape Verde wey una wan finish Rohr for, dey hold Senegal with 10 men so
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 6:15pm On Jan 25, 2022
TheGoodJoe:
As I am saying, your term of poorly coached is a preference. You want the team to play a particular way.

The team is growing. I doubt that team has trained and played that way up to three weeks.

With time, a larger percentage of those crosses Will turn to goals. That is what happens when the team grows on a system.

How can you summarize the team was badly coached when the players even beat our expectations.

Did you expect Simon to perform that way? Want of Ekong and Sadiq? I was shocked how good Collins performed under him.

The coach has a strategy and we can not deny how effective it is.

Even with a man down, we could dominate the Tunisians.

Let us leave preference and be factual. Eguavoen was effective and got the team playing well and in a fierce manner.

With time, he would sort other things out.
Just imagine bro! Players seemingly dead under Rohr suddenly burst into life under Eguavoen.

These guys are just bad losers.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 6:15pm On Jan 25, 2022
Odunayaw:
We re a possessive side that loves to build up play? Yet we have been crying for "a midfield orchestrator"!

Cool story bro
possessive side when no be say we be evil spirit. Since Mikel's retirement we have tried to be more direct in our play
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 6:16pm On Jan 25, 2022
How is that a RED CARD!!!!

These AFCON REFS ARE IDIOTTS

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Astrid4(m): 6:17pm On Jan 25, 2022
forgiveness:
Jose Peseiro’s resume is not that bad.

He was actually in Cameroon to observe the team.

Coached a team to gain promotion from 3rd division to 1st division within 3 years.

Coached Sporting Lisbon to the 3rd place on the league and UEFA cup finals.

Coached Panathinaikos to the 3rd position in the Greece league.

Coached Aly Aly to win the Egyptian league though he left before the end of the season. The fact that he has experience in Africa counts a lot.

Coached the UAE team to a 3rd place position in the league.

Coached FC Porto

Coached Braga to finish 4th in the league and won the Portuguese cup. I think I watched that team because Echiejile was part of that team.

Coached Saudi Arabia

Coached Venezuela in the just concluded Copa America. Not bad.

100% Jose peseiro is a very good coach, tactically dope but the only issue he is a bit conservative and doesn't play fancy offensive football

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 6:18pm On Jan 25, 2022
chrisooblog:
possessive side when no be say we be evil spirit. Since Mikel's retirement we have tried to be more direct in our play
grin good one with that evil spirit talk.

Just imagine someone using passing stats to say we like to build from the back nitori Olorun! Passes that are back passes.

I'm convinced some are using wearing this tactical analysis blanket over their "I told you so" bias towards Eguavoen
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Famocious(m): 6:19pm On Jan 25, 2022
PDPGuy:

The thing tire me oo. Seems the number of red cards is more than yellow in this tournament. A lot of questionable calls

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 6:19pm On Jan 25, 2022
PDPGuy:

I wonder ooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Astrid4(m): 6:21pm On Jan 25, 2022
chrisooblog:

Naija no be possessive team; we are more inclined toward direct play with good wing play

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:21pm On Jan 25, 2022
do4luv14:

okoye might turn out great for us, he is still young and growing

cut him some slacks my Oga D law
I know my brother. But it seems he will cost us games before we get to the point where he'd turn out great.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 6:22pm On Jan 25, 2022
Make caf dey test the mentality of this their refree before match officiation that ball was a 50/50 tackle only for the ref to go check nonsense var to give the keeper that came out worse a red card all to give Senegal a massive advantage undecided undecided lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:22pm On Jan 25, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

You did not mention duty in your post. So tell us the tactical change you were suggesting first half.

You are just grasping at straws. If you watch the game closely, you would have noticed Iheanacho’s duty was cut short as soon as he got a card rendering him incapacitated.

In fact, he ought to have received the second yellow card while he was trying to fulfill his duty by recovering lost balls.

You can keep praising Eguavoen but unfortunately he is long gone. Jose Peseiro is now the coach. Hehehe!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 6:22pm On Jan 25, 2022
Famocious:

The thing tire me oo. Seems the number of red cards is more than yellow in this tournament. A lot of questionable calls
There has been a red card in too many 2nd world games.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 6:23pm On Jan 25, 2022
ChrisKels:
Seems I am the only one not pained by this loss. Actually, I got distracted by the world cup playoff draw and I wanted the Eagles home early, as a wake-up call in order to give me a better outing in the double header against Ghana. I felt if we had stayed longer at the AFCON, the boys probably would have been complacent against Ghana. Now that they are hurt by this loss, they would wanna atone for it by qualifying for the world cup. I'm not perturbed.
You wanted the Eagles home early?

grin old man de lie like all those people wey dem go steal their phone dem go say na sim card de pain dem. Swerve abeg
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 6:23pm On Jan 25, 2022
Mujtahida:

I know my brother. But it seems he will cost us games before we get to the point where he'd turn out great.

better to have him Now, and learn from greats like, Ike Vinny, Carl,

not that Alloy wey no sabi chimchim
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 6:26pm On Jan 25, 2022
Senegal needs 2redcard before they score, shame on dem,

this Afcon nah wash, what with all this yeye uncalled for redcards? ??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:26pm On Jan 25, 2022
Astrid4:

100% Jose peseiro is a very good coach, tactically dope but the only issue he is a bit conservative and doesn't play fancy offensive football

I think so because when I watched his team Braga, it was a well organized team.

Hopefully, his experience will go long way to lead us to promise land.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay1: 6:28pm On Jan 25, 2022
do4luv14:
Una still dey here dey stand for Austin, una go taya oooo,

make una come see as coach dey play game,
nah the Cape Verde wey una wan finish Rohr for,
dey hold Senegal with 10 men so

I won't take that serious.

This same Senegal has only scored one goal in the tournament so far , coming from a penalty and hasn't scored from open play. Senegal is that bad at the moment grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Famocious(m): 6:28pm On Jan 25, 2022
AndSunGorilla:

There has been a red card in too many 2nd world games.

But officiating at previous Afcon has not been abysmal as this..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 6:29pm On Jan 25, 2022
Astrid4:

To hell with fancy football,all we want is result. This tough cape verdean side we defeated them away with our fringe players during the time some people claim we were playing kick and follow football, but we couldn't defeat a poor Tunisian team during ghen ghen pressing angry grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:30pm On Jan 25, 2022
May God save African referees from Red Card Syndrome

So, they cannot play one Knockout stage game without whipping out a Red Card?

It is well.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:31pm On Jan 25, 2022
forgiveness:

You are just grasping at straws. If you watch the game closely, you would have noticed Iheanacho’s duty was cut short as soon as he got a card rendering him incapacitated.

In fact, he ought to have received the second yellow card while he was trying to fulfill his duty by recovering lost balls.

You can keep praising Eguavoen but unfortunately he is long gone. Jose Peseiro is now the coach. Hehehe!

You are the one creating story out of nothing. You clearly stated because of red card. It is straight of your comment. You did not say because he was incapacitated.

Since I started watching football, I can not remember where a coach made a change when the game was level in the first half without injury.

You are the one grasping. Making fictitious claims.

You said the coach was tactically inept and then started talking of cards. Then said we should know.

Incapacitated.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12483) (12484) (12485) (12486) (12487) (12488) (12489) ... (16098) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.