Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,238 members, 7,807,792 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:23 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (13598) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11575891 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13595) (13596) (13597) (13598) (13599) (13600) (13601) ... (16116) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 2:53pm On Sep 17, 2022
Meliforme:

Familiarity towards Awaziem might equally be informing his preference for Akpoguma. People always prefer to try new things while looking down on the things they are used to.
As things stand, i will prefer Awaziem to Akpoguma.
Yea... 20 minutes for Akpors won't be bad too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:59pm On Sep 17, 2022
Anglo-Nigerian prospect, Faustino Anjorin returns to the first XI for Huddersfield Town vs Cardiff City after coming from the bench last time out vs Wigan 4 days ago.

He has 2 goals from 7 league games (5 starts). So this is his 8th league appearance, 6th league start of 22/23. Game on in a minute.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Magnoliaa(f): 3:22pm On Sep 17, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
I still want to understand why Joe Aribo is missing from this list. He's been getting games and isn't injured. Even came off the bench last night or is there something we dont know?. At least, for the sake of the midfield, just list am!!! Which kain list be this sef?

That midfield is too thin.

I see...
▶️2 CDMs, one a ball-winning DM and the other a Ball-playing DM who's also adept at Ball-winning.
▶️1 Central Midfield playmaker (the only truly creative hub picked in the middle).
▶️And then one roaming CM who's a pressing machine and Workrate merchant. More defensive actions nous THAN attacking and a bang average ball-player.

I hope Peseiro hasn't contracted the Rohr Anti-MF Virus. angry
We look really understaffed in the middle.

No Alhassan... fine but not fine... but will console myself with the presence of Onyedika at least. Deserved call-up.

Akpoguma's return too is deserved and welcome. The CB crisis required his return.

Benchwarmers like Ekong, Uzoho, Okoye and Onyeka making the list isn't a good sign. Peseiro needs to raise the bar here. Why ignore Alhassan but invite Onyeka? Even Nwakali deserves a call at this point based on form and superior tactical quality compared to Onyeka. Not seeing Alhassan here is really not cool.

10 FWs, 6 of which are wingers and then only 4 MFs.
When will our coaches understand that we have got to prioritise the midfield to take our National team to higher levels? When??

A list that has 6 CBs and only 4 MFs is not one to smile at.

I give the list a 4/10. Doesn't matter if we win the Algeria friendly. List is unimpressive.

Omoo; it's the aesthetics of this post for me. cheesy

I almost thought I was on Pinterest for a second there, like, shey na NL (fonts) fine like this, lol?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:40pm On Sep 17, 2022
Magnoliaa:

Omoo; it's the aesthetics of this post for me. cheesy

I almost thought I was on Pinterest for a second there, like, shey na NL (fonts) fine like this, lol?

Lol... This geh sef grin Magy, abeg no make me laff too much.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:42pm On Sep 17, 2022
Spanish-Nigerian Prospect, John Donald Nwankwo currently in action for Elche CF vs Barcelona in La Liga.

About 25mins gone now. Still goalless at the Sportify Camp Nou. Elche down by 1 man for a red card on 14mins.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Magnoliaa(f): 3:42pm On Sep 17, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Lol... This geh sef grin Magy, abeg no make laff too much.

grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:56pm On Sep 17, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Young 21y/o Anglo-Nigerian, Ajibola Alese starts back to back games for Sunderland away at Ekong's Watford after impressing in his first Start.

Another CB.

Ajibola Joshua Alese scores his first Senior goal. The Left footed CB cum LB is off the mark.

Watford 1-1 Sunderland at the halftime break.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:07pm On Sep 17, 2022
Donald in a nutshell: He's been poor.

Showed poor positioning and bad judgment for the first goal. Leaving the defensive shape to go press distorted Elche's defensive line and Barca punished them swiftly via switching plays to the left channel and boom, Donaldo couldn't even recover in time.

But it is his involvement in Barca's second goal that makes me puke and further buttresses why I have said before that the lad is bang average so far and has a lot of learning and growing to do.

Depay received the ball. You are bigger and stronger than Depay yet you still allowed this guy to shove you and even turn inside the box despite you being on his back and him receiving the ball back-to-goal. Terrible, Terrible defending from Nwankwo Donald.

Abeg abeg... May we not hype nonsense in the name of "He plays in La Liga, EPL and co". We have Terrible players in the top 5 leagues too. Terrible.

Nwankwo for now, is not it. I don talk am before. He needs time to be close to decent sef.

TheSuperNerd:
Spanish-Nigerian Prospect, John Donald Nwankwo currently in action for Elche CF vs Barcelona in La Liga.

About 25mins gone now. Still goalless at the Sportify Camp Nou. Elche down by 1 man for a red card on 14mins.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:22pm On Sep 17, 2022
Faustino Anjorin withdrawn at Halftime. Huddersfield took the lead on 8 mins before Anjorin conceded a penalty on 20mins in the first half which Cardiff went on to miss so his blushes got spared as Huddersfield still leads 1-0 even now after 60mins.

He completed all his passes though. 100%. 11/11.

Subdued performance all round but he can hope to come back better in the next game.

TheSuperNerd:
Anglo-Nigerian prospect, Faustino Anjorin returns to the first XI for Huddersfield Town vs Cardiff City after coming from the bench last time out vs Wigan 4 days ago.

He has 2 goals from 7 league games (5 starts). So this is his 8th league appearance, 6th league start of 22/23. Game on in a minute.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:33pm On Sep 17, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Josh Maja will look to add to his 7G+A (4G, 3A) in 8 league games for Girondins Bordeaux as they take on Dijon in Matchday 9 of Ligue 2 Action.

A win will take them back to the top of the table for now.

Game on in 27mins.

And a win, they got. Josh Maja's 5th goal of the league season and a late winner from Davitashvili of Georgia sees Bordeaux back on top of Ligue 2 for NOW.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:37pm On Sep 17, 2022
Wilfred Ndidi starts vs Conte's Tottenham Hotspurs. Returns to his usual Midfield role as CDM/Defensive shield. Wout Faes partners Johnny Evans at CB.

Kelechi Iheanacho starts from the bench.

Rock-bottom/Last in the league, Leicester needs a strong response today coz they are FOR NOW looking like relegation candidates.

Game on in 53mins.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 4:44pm On Sep 17, 2022
mostob:
Well, I opted for Awaziem because of familiarity.

Meaning Akpos is not familiar with the squard or what

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:51pm On Sep 17, 2022
Abbas Ibrahim, CM balling good for Paços de Ferreira away at Santa Clara in his first league start of the season. It is his 5th appearance but 1st start in 22/23 Primeira Liga Bwin.

Game locked at 1-1 for now with 58mins played.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 4:59pm On Sep 17, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Abbas Ibrahim, CM balling good for Paços de Ferreira away at Santa Clara in his first league start of the season. It is his 5th appearance but 1st start in 22/23 Primeira Liga Bwin.

Game locked at 1-1 for now with 58mins played.

That is a midfielder.
IT IS NOT A CURSE. UNTIL OUR COACHED PAY ATTENTION TO OUR MIDFIELD WE WILL NIT ACHIEVE ANYHING AND WILL REMAIN MEDIOCRE.
WE WILL NOT GO BEYOND THE QUATER FINAL OF THE NEXT TWO NATIONS CUP AND WILL NOT QUALIFY FOR TGE 2026 WORLD CUP.
KIN SE EPE. IT S THE FACT
DOING THINGS THE SAME WAY AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS IS INSANITY
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:00pm On Sep 17, 2022
Arthur Okonkwo keeps his 4th cleansheet of the league season in EFL League Two as his side Crewe Alexandra secures a 1-0 win over Crawley Town.

So that makes it 9 games and 4 cleansheets for young Arthur.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:10pm On Sep 17, 2022
Zaidu Sanusi starts for FC Porto away at Estoril in Matchday 7 of the Portuguese Primeira Liga Bwin.

Game on in 50mins.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:15pm On Sep 17, 2022
Tolu Arokodare looks to add to his 4 goals in 8 league games tally so far in Ligue 2 as he starts for Amiens SC vs Chamois Niortais in Matchday 9.

Game on in 45mins.

A win will take them to joint tops with Bordeaux on 17pts but also depends on what Ozornwafor's Sochaux plays. A sochaux win will see the sides of Maja and Tolu one point behind.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BannedLarge: 5:16pm On Sep 17, 2022
Danielnino00:

The Belgian league is ranked 9th in Europe..That's hardly backwater... A few seasons ago, Onyeka was playing in the Danish league thats ranked lower than Belgium's...Why didnt he tear it apart there??

His present club signed him for a record fee. He just had tore that backwater danish league
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 5:17pm On Sep 17, 2022
do4luv14:

Meaning Akpos is not familiar with the squard or what
I've not watched much of Akpors. The last time I watched him was in that famous Sierra Leone match. It will be unwise to introduce him to the lineup straightaway IMO...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 5:23pm On Sep 17, 2022
Onyekuru is not needed on that list. I think Balogun was called to make Akpoguma feel at home. He won't play. Aribo has played every game for Eagles except Sao Tome he needed a break. Alhassan deserves a call up even though I don't rate him highly. Other than that, the list is cool. You don't just discard the core of a team. You do it gradually. Even Southgate invited Maguire and Shaw. Frank played some minutes in the last 2 games for Brentford. He has been phenomenal in green white green jersey. He deserves his call up. It just a friendly match 4 good midfielders are enough.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:24pm On Sep 17, 2022
Football Shithousery: Augsburg Edition

Nagelsmann, you are playing with fire. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:57pm On Sep 17, 2022
Naija Invites Drama: Alhassan Yusuf's Invite was cancelled

Score Nigeria's Samm Audu reports that Royal Antwerp received correspondence from the NFF on Friday cancelling Alhassan Yusuf's Initial Original invite.

So in a nutshell, Yusuf was in the list but his name taken out. SMH.

How the NFF and Technical crew could come to an agreement to deplete the one department of the team that needed more hands, legs and brains shows that both don't really understand what they are doing as regards the Super Eagles.

We ought to be building on our middle game dynamics and not depleting the personnel further. Na wa.

In all, Alhassan's time must come. It cannot be stopped.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:05pm On Sep 17, 2022
fabyom:
Onyekuru was not needed on that list. I think Balogun was called to make Akpoguma feel at home. He won't play. Aribo has played every game for Eagles except Sao Tome he needed a break. Alhassan deserves a call up even though I don't rate him highly. Other than that, the list is cool. You don't just discard the core of a team. You do it gradually. Even Southgate invited Maguire and Shaw. Frank played some minutes in the last 2 games for Brentford. He has been phenomenal in green white green jersey. He deserves his call up. It just a friendly match 4 good midfielders are enough.

You lie. Phenomenal?? In GWG?? Show me that game in GWG where he was Phenomenal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:24pm On Sep 17, 2022
Both Emeka Eze and Jesse Sekidika Score as Eyupspor leads 2-1 after 65mins vs Bandirmaspor in the Turkish 1.Lig.

It is Emeka Eze's 3rd goal in 6 league games (all starts).

For Jesse, it is his 1st goal in 3 games (2 starts).

A win for both lads and Eyupspor will leave them top of the Turkish 2nd tier league table.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:30pm On Sep 17, 2022
Henry Onyekuru scores

His 3rd goal in 7 league games now.

On 3 goals, 1 assist in 22/23 Super Lig.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 6:36pm On Sep 17, 2022
Why they never pass to Ndidi. Poor awareness. Dreadful error.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:36pm On Sep 17, 2022
Goal cancelled by VAR. Ouch

TheSuperNerd:
Henry Onyekuru scores

His 3rd goal in 7 league games now.

On 3 goals, 1 assist in 22/23 Super Lig.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Fabuloski(m): 6:44pm On Sep 17, 2022
Looks like Eze will not be going for the world cup. This is the English pre-WC list. Tosin is missing as well

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 6:51pm On Sep 17, 2022
Ndidi has refused to grow what a dreadful and basic error which could cost the team.
No wonder no big club ready to break bank for him angry

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:54pm On Sep 17, 2022
Wilfred Ndidi's decline in recent times is just sad.

That error shouldn't be made ever. A DM should be aware of his zone and movement into or around that zone.
If only his ball-playing was good. He's not that comfortable on the ball so finds it hard making quicker decisions before receiving the ball.

Proper ball-playing CDMs will pre-scan their immediate pitch environ, take note of who's the closest (both opponent and teammate) to them and know what to do with the ball on the half-turn before it even reaches them.

They are aware they won't always get all the time in the world to turn and really pick a pass.

Just look at Ndidi in that moment, thinking he has all the time and still yet to decide what he wants to do with the ball. 5 years+ of EPL experience and still makes an error this basic. SMH.

Ndidi's ball-playing has been an issue for a long time and since he hit top form performances in 2020/21 season, he hasn't been able to repeat anything close to it. It has been a sad decline from that point and I admit, the injuries haven't helped too.

I love Ndidi but the earlier we realise he hasn't improved since 2020/21, the better for us moving forward.

A fantastic Ball-winning CDM but poor at Ball-playing. A CDM not comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Truth helps us all.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 6:59pm On Sep 17, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Wilfred Ndidi's decline in recent times is just sad.

That error shouldn't be made ever. A DM should be aware of his zone and movement into or around that zone.
If only his ball-playing was good. He's not that comfortable on the ball so finds it hard making quicker decisions before receiving the ball.

Proper ball-playing CDMs will pre-scan their immediate pitch environ, take note of who's the closest (both opponent and teammate) to them and know what to do with the ball on the half-turn before it even reaches them.

They are aware they won't always get all the time in the world to turn and really pick a pass.

Just look at Ndidi in that moment, thinking he has all the time and still yet to decide what he wants to do with the ball. 5 years+ of EPL experience and still makes an error this basic. SMH.

Ndidi's ball-playing has been an issue for a long time and since he hit top form performances in 2020/21 season, he hasn't been able to repeat anything close to it. It has been a sad decline from that point and I admit, the injuries haven't helped too.

I love Ndidi but the earlier we realise he hasn't improved since 2020/21, the better for us moving forward.

A fantastic Ball-winning CDM but poor at Ball-playing. A CDM not comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Truth helps us all.

no thanks to Rogers though
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:02pm On Sep 17, 2022
Super Eagles List: Latest Update... Ozornwafor called up

Ladies and Gentlemen, A lad who is currently chopping bench in French Ligue 2, Valentine Ozornwafor has been called up to replace Leon Balogun.

His club is currently in action and he is warming that bench comfortably.

Who is selecting these players? Well, that's the latest.

4 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (13595) (13596) (13597) (13598) (13599) (13600) (13601) ... (16116) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, uchenna55, Ihenzy(m), humility33(m), do4luv14(m), DOptical and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.