Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,364 members, 7,808,270 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:40 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14154) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11580325 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14151) (14152) (14153) (14154) (14155) (14156) (14157) ... (16118) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:46am On Jan 24, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

How else can someone earn the right to play if being the best player in the English Premier League for a month and inspiring your team to win a title in England is not enough?

Please, look for a better deceit.

EA SPORTS Player of the Month for March 2021 was KC.

it's a time limited award relating to oustanding performance at the TIME, that is near 2 years ago. Has he been consistently outstanding since that time or the EXACT OPPOSITE.

Can you for once have some INTEGRITY and be TRUTHFUL.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:48am On Jan 24, 2023
elyte89:

Lol u were caught in d middle cos of nacho

Normally u no Dey rate any league aside premiership 😀😀😃 but cos of nacho u gaz rate serie A

Seria A is rated number 3 in Europe that's a a high level.

However the number one league is the EPL.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:23am On Jan 24, 2023
cool

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:31am On Jan 24, 2023
komekn:

it's a time limited award relating to oustanding performance at the TIME, that is near 2 years ago. Has he been consistently outstanding since that time or the EXACT OPPOSITE.

That was the time Iheanacho got a run of games and he delivered. That was where he EARNED THE RIGHT TO PLAY, and since then he has not had a run of games.
How can he be outstanding without a healthy run of games. Tell me, you claim to be a professional here. Tell us how a player can be outstanding without a run of games?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:32am On Jan 24, 2023
komekn:

So he won EPL player of the month and so ❓How long ago was that ❓❓

Do we rely on past glories or do we understand that the component for quality is CONSISTENCY.

I did a comparison of Ademola who had to perform to claim position in Leicester. The more he performed the more opportunity he got and the more minutes by implication. That rubbishes your victim mentality claim that he KC didn't get enough minutes.

KC had been underperforming for 5 seasons out of his 6 seasons, in one season he had one goal in the EPL after 30 games.

Ademola played 26 games as a winger and scored 6 EPL goals and KC had 26 games and scored 4 EPL goals in 2021/22.

I dony what you are calling deceptive it's as plain as daylight, you are tur person that will call a bright white moon blue.

Stop throwing Ademola into the picture. They are not competing against each other. The point is that, that was the time Iheanacho had a run of games due to injuries and he was outstanding.

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 6:43am On Jan 24, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

This feels like recycling to me. They should have gone with someone younger. Give others a chance.
you are absolutely right.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:32am On Jan 24, 2023
komekn:

No it is not please stop that .

Stop what exactly ,stop saying the facts ?
Bournemouth
Southampton
Leeds
Forest

How are these teams better than udunese ?

Wolves and Everton after splashing millions aren’t currently even better than udinese

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:35am On Jan 24, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

This feels like recycling to me. They should have gone with someone younger. Give others a chance.

It’s not recycling

Koeman was doing a fantastic job because Barcelona came calling

When he was sacked he said he will wait to get the job back because Louis van gaal will be retiring

Koeman is the best man for the job

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:03am On Jan 24, 2023
Danielnino00:

It sounds more like stereotyping to me... I won't say age cheating is part of our culture,but rather it is one of the pitfalls of being a third world country. We don't have the infrastructure required to correct that. People aren't age cheating,rather they are taking advantage of the broken system. It is like America that has a culture of gun violence because the system allows them to carry guns.
But still I feel it isn't right to judge people based on the action of others in their social class....
This is a roundabout way of saying what I just said or rather you are giving reasons why such a practice exists and I agree with you.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nomyth: 8:56am On Jan 24, 2023

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 9:22am On Jan 24, 2023
komekn:

after that season has he ever played ten games straight from start?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 10:01am On Jan 24, 2023
drDoom3:

I personally do not understand Moffi's insistence on remaining in France. I can understand an England but France? Doesn't make sense.

West Ham have been chasing him for a while, offering big money. Make the move to the EPL with the opportunity.

This was the same mistake Osimhen made with Wolfsburg and Amoo with Copenhagen recently. I am not saying you must take the biggest and best offer, not necessarily, but don't do the opposite.
what is he going to West ham to do?

A team battling relegation
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 10:23am On Jan 24, 2023
Erling Haaland has already scored 25 goals at the halfway point of the epl something he never achieved in "farmer's league" like the bundesliga.

Mo Salah returned from "easier" Serie A to score 32 goals in the "harder" epl go figure!

If people call your takes shallow and illogical you will begin to shalaye in cockney accent.

komekn:

Do you think if Ademola was playing in the EPL he would have scored 10 goals at this mid way stage of the league ❓

When Ademola Lookman was playing for Leicester , December 2021, he comes on as a substitute and had immediate impact getting the winning goal and the MOTM award at the same time. His quality has never been in doubt.

He has gone to lower less competitive league and he is killing it , it should not be a SURPRISE.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 10:46am On Jan 24, 2023
chrisooblog:
Erling Haaland has already scored 25 goals at the halfway point of the epl something he never achieved in "farmer's league" like the bundesliga.

Mo Salah returned from "easier" Serie A to score 32 goals in the "harder" epl go figure!

If people call your takes shallow and illogical you will begin to shalaye in cockney accent.

😂🤣😂🤣🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:52am On Jan 24, 2023
Mujtahida:

It is an error to think this way as far as the issue of age is concerned. Is there a culture of age cheating in Europe? A person will even be foolish to doubt a person's age in Europe because records are kept at birth.

In Nigeria, I'd rather doubt a player's age than willy nilly believe his age. The difference is culture. Not about whether a particular player is truly this age or that age.

'One of them, a prophet of their own, said, 'Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons.' - Titus 1 v 2.

That's Paul referencing what is a cultural judgment about the cretans. Does that mean all Cretans are liars? No. But it means that mendacity is a cultural norm and they have no regards for truth.

In the same vein we have a culture of age cheating. It's in all aspects of our national life. So I wonder why this self righteous angst whenever the doubters raise their voices.
this is a very dangerous narrative

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:53am On Jan 24, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

As long as he focuses on improving their play, results with time will favor Finidi.
or maybe he’s just a poor coach

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:06am On Jan 24, 2023
benji93:
I know some pundits/football analysts can be annoying and damn sometimes outrageous with their takes, but at least quote one of those in your submissions, not some random person on Twitter whose statements only remotely aligns with your opinion cheesy grin.

Now Leicester is to blame for his bad performances? Of course, it always comes down to the fact that their teams are just damn bad. Shame no even dey catch you to talk am. cheesy grin. You come still get mouth to talk say him salary na 90K, so no team go take am, without acknowledging that salary is in general based on performance from one year to another. You cannot understand that no other team in the premier league thinks he's playing 90K football.

Besides, when someone posts something on Twitter, check references and be sure the stats are useful before you post them.
Attached are Iheanacho's stats at Leicester starting from 2017/2018. The most important stats are his goals in the premier league. Sorry, I don't take his goals against league 1 and championship teams in the EFL cup seriously. If you are that good score against your mates in the Premier League. As you can see his minutes per G/A are 137.2, 185.2, 106.9, 104, 139.9, and 144.5. I could only attach four pictures. You can check the rest yourself. You can see an improvement between 2017/2018 and 2020/2021 seasons and a decline after the 2020/2021 season.

this statistics is a bit dishonest, 2020/2021 season aside he was barely starting games

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:13am On Jan 24, 2023
jihday:
or maybe he’s just a poor coach

I don't think so. Finidi is a well-trained coach and I believe he has the tools to make Enyimba succeed. As I said, I have not watched them to judge but I believe he needs more time to turn things around.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:18am On Jan 24, 2023
Chief I get the message and spirit of your write up however it's beholden on us as logical human beings not to generalize but treat each issue on its merit.

If as a foreigner I see you as a Nigerian dressed well and holding a laptop would it be fair to call you an online fraudster without any evidence to prove my statement?

That is the crux of the argument some posters have made. Accusing someone of age cheating without proof is just slander. Yes it's a reality that a lot of Nigerians age cheat but we also have a lot of genuine youngsters and we owe it to them not to paint all of them with the same brush.

Mujtahida:

It is an error to think this way as far as the issue of age is concerned. Is there a culture of age cheating in Europe? A person will even be foolish to doubt a person's age in Europe because records are kept at birth.

In Nigeria, I'd rather doubt a player's age than willy nilly believe his age. The difference is culture. Not about whether a particular player is truly this age or that age.

'One of them, a prophet of their own, said, 'Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons.' - Titus 1 v 2.

That's Paul referencing what is a cultural judgment about the cretans. Does that mean all Cretans are liars? No. But it means that mendacity is a cultural norm and they have no regards for truth.

In the same vein we have a culture of age cheating. It's in all aspects of our national life. So I wonder why this self righteous angst whenever the doubters raise their voices.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:16pm On Jan 24, 2023
chrisooblog:

School that nigga

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 1:28pm On Jan 24, 2023
benji93:
I know some pundits/football analysts can be annoying and damn sometimes outrageous with their takes, but at least quote one of those in your submissions, not some random person on Twitter whose statements only remotely aligns with your opinion cheesy grin.

Now Leicester is to blame for his bad performances? Of course, it always comes down to the fact that their teams are just damn bad. Shame no even dey catch you to talk am. cheesy grin. You come still get mouth to talk say him salary na 90K, so no team go take am, without acknowledging that salary is in general based on performance from one year to another. You cannot understand that no other team in the premier league thinks he's playing 90K football.

Besides, when someone posts something on Twitter, check references and be sure the stats are useful before you post them.
Attached are Iheanacho's stats at Leicester starting from 2017/2018. The most important stats are his goals in the premier league. Sorry, I don't take his goals against league 1 and championship teams in the EFL cup seriously. If you are that good score against your mates in the Premier League. As you can see his minutes per G/A are 137.2, 185.2, 106.9, 104, 139.9, and 144.5. I could only attach four pictures. You can check the rest yourself. You can see an improvement between 2017/2018 and 2020/2021 seasons and a decline after the 2020/2021 season.

The bolded is deceitful... If you count the goals some great scorers like Ronaldo, Messi, Lewandowski and the likes have scored in their career, you would find plenty that were against shitty teams than the ones Iheanacho has scored against.. Mbappe scored 5 goals yesterday against some team nobody has heard of until now...
Again,those goals against smaller teams won Leicester the FA cup...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:30pm On Jan 24, 2023
You dey mind am?

All him takes is always wuruwuru to agenda not even answer sef.

andrewbaba44:

School that nigga
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 3:26pm On Jan 24, 2023
With the stats of the array of stars we have up front, I don't think Iheanacho still deserves a call up to the Super Eagles, especially with Lookman's ability to play as a supporting striker, the position that he has played with excellence so far this serie-A season.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:31pm On Jan 24, 2023
ChrisKels:
With the stats of the array of stars we have up front, I don't think Iheanacho still deserves a call up to the Super Eagles, especially with Lookman's ability to play as a supporting striker, the position that he has played with excellence so far this serie-A season.
nacho is a waste man
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 3:31pm On Jan 24, 2023
Amedino99:
nah the circumstances are quite different. Spain is a powerhouse in world football. They have enough clout to use underage football to cap a player as opposed to sacrificing one squad member in the national team. Remember that eze has times without numbers honoured england u21 call up over a super eagle invite. we just don't have the clout to do stuffs like them. Our only selling point is to make Dem feel big else they are not playing for us. It's sad stuff but thats the situation.

Is it really about powerhouse? If it about that then Bacjetic would have chosen spain over serbia by now. But it is spain that is running upandan. We probably might be overflogging the powerhouse thing.

If it is powerhouse, it should be England and France that Olise should be choosing by now.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:33pm On Jan 24, 2023
Kelechi Iheanacho: The Truth and Nothing but the Truth from Detailed Stats perspectives; A Stats Story🔢.

Lots of slander and misrepresentation of info going round as regards Nacho but here are Facts that don't lie.

1️⃣The Highest Ever number of Starts Iheanacho ever recorded in a Single EPL season📶 is 1️⃣6️⃣.
That season was the 2020/21 season (His best ever season both in the EPL and across all competitions).

2️⃣His next highest number of starts in an EPL season is 13 in the 21/22 season. All scattered starts throughout the season where he logged 26 appearances. Best run he had in this season was 4 games straight as a starter.

This was the season where he expected to consolidate on his 20/21 season but Rodgers thought otherwise, constantly benching Leicester's best player from the previous season.

3️⃣The Longest Run of Consecutive Games Iheanacho EVER enjoyed in a single EPL campaign is 1️⃣1️⃣.
Can you guess the season.... yep, the 2020/21 season AGAIN.

This run of games came between February 28, 2021 and May 11, 2021. Same period which saw him nominated twice for EPL POTM of which he won once. Go and Verify ✍️😎

Now, guess his next best run of consecutive games in the EPL... it is not more than 5️⃣. Go and Verify✍️😎

In Truth, Nacho had hardly ever been given a run. It is always scattergun selections for him and this continuing even after his World Class 2020/21 season.

4️⃣Now, in that 1️⃣1️⃣-game period of consecutive starting gametime between February 28, 2021 and May 11, 2021; Nacho registered 10 ⚽️ and 2 🅰️, picked up the March EPL Player of the Month and was also nominated for the April EPL Player of the month.
Facts!💥

5️⃣Sandwiched within this 11 EPL consecutive games period Nacho got, were the FA Cup Quarter Final and Semi final games vs Manchester Utd and Southampton respectively. They aren't part of the 11 games EPL run of games but they took place within that window.

Nacho ended up scoring 2x and assisting once vs Man Utd.

Plus he bagged the Winner in the Semis vs Southampton.

6️⃣In 2020/21, Kelechi Iheanacho became the first player in the Vardy Era since 2015/2016 to finish as Leicester's Top Goal scorer across all competitions ahead of the Inevitable Jamie Vardy.

Jamie Vardy was always LCFC top scorer in all competitions for five straight seasons since 2015/2016.
But in 2020/21... Iheanacho surpassed Vardy in goals across all competitions and doing so in lesser game time compared to Vardy. The 11 consecutive games run Nacho got really helped no doubt.

7️⃣In the Current EPL Season, Iheanacho has only started ONE GAME. One!!! Yet he has made 14 league apperances. He has 1 goal, 1 assist so far despite bagging nearly 21mins per game.

The limited gametime is obvious.

🟣Now here are the teams Nacho scored and assisted against in 2020/21:

🟢All 1️⃣9️⃣ Goals and 6🅰️ he recorded from 25 Starts across all competitions.✍️

▪️EPL:
⚽️ vs Fulham.
⚽️ vs Burnley
⚽️ vs Brighton & Hove Albion
⚽️⚽️⚽️ vs Sheffield Utd
⚽️⚽️ vs West Ham Utd
⚽️ vs West Bromwich Albion
⚽️🅰️ vs Crystal Palace
🅰️ vs Southampton
⚽️ vs Newcastle
⚽️ vs Chelsea

12 goals, 2 assists in 16 starts (25 games).

▪️FA Cup:
⚽️ vs Brighton
⚽️⚽️🅰️ vs Manchester Utd
⚽️ vs Southampton

4 goals, 1 assist in 3 starts (6 games) and an FA Cup Triumph.

▪️UEL:
⚽️🅰️🅰️ vs Zorya Luhansk
⚽️⚽️🅰️ vs Sporting Braga

3 goals, 3 assists in 5 starts (7 games).

Bonus: Never Forget, Iheanacho remains the only player in History to score on all days of the week in a single EPL season.
He also accomplished this during his 11-games run. Clinical. 🔥🔥🔥

Conclusion: Please, when analysing Kelechi Iheanacho's time in England, do it holistically and with complete honesty. It won't hurt you to see the whole picture well enough. Football isn't always black and white. Danke!!! 🤝🏽😎

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:38pm On Jan 24, 2023
Personally I still think KC can be relevant in the SE but he needs to show that determination to get his career back on track. Unfortunately for him time waits for nobody.

Like you rightly said Lookman has shown he can play that support striker role not forgetting new players who will be entering the national team to stake a place.

ChrisKels:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:43pm On Jan 24, 2023
Reports in the media say Everton are interested in Marcielo Bielsa replacing Lampard. Omo Iwobi should prepare himself to work extra hard if the news turns out to be true cos I heard Bielsa na taskmaster.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:50pm On Jan 24, 2023
chrisooblog:
Personally I still think KC can be relevant in the SE but he needs to show that determination to get his career back on track. Unfortunately for him time waits for nobody.

Like you rightly said Lookman has shown he can play that support striker role not forgetting new players who will be entering the national team to stake a place.

relevant how? Una too like to paint talk

Dude is washed and needs to leave leicester and the epl to a less competitive league to get his mojo back

Relevance when almost 4 super eagles even uncapped ones like Akpom and balogun are doing massively well in their various clubs.

With osimhen,Moffi,onuachu,lookman banging goals for fun this season nacho needs to sit up to be counted again

Imagine if Akpom gets a call up and performs well then balogun switches to us that implies nacho needs to do something extra ordinary at leicester or elsewhere to reclaim is place in the team

For now he needs to be excused from the national team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:51pm On Jan 24, 2023
chrisooblog:
Reports in the media say Everton are interested in Marcielo Bielsa replacing Lampard. Omo Iwobi should prepare himself to work extra hard if the news turns out to be true cos I heard Bielsa na taskmaster.
Bielsa love players like iwobi and if true Alex will even improve more under the legendary argentine gaffer

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:56pm On Jan 24, 2023
Lookman's role this season isn't simplified to just Supporting Striker. Watching his games and studying his heat maps show he either operates on the right or left of a front two (the other being Muriel, Zapata or Hojlund) or acts as an inside forward from the right or left.

SS is one of the roles we ascribe to him when he plays a little deeper than the point man in a front two as seen in few instances or certain game phases but it isn't his actual role definition this season if one look closely.

Never mind what Transfermrkt may present (they aren't always spot on on player positions), fact is he is usually part of a front two and recently in his last 3 games has been used more in a twin attacking #8 set-up (the other being Boga) in a 3421 operating through the Half-spaces with licence to go wide & combine plays with the corresponding wingbacks if need be while Boga does the same on the other side.

ChrisKels:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:59pm On Jan 24, 2023
Enugu Rangers vs Sunshine Stars

Maikaba still waiting for his first win of the season. His team's are normally slow starters sha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXEF6Karnjk

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (14151) (14152) (14153) (14154) (14155) (14156) (14157) ... (16118) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: mostob(m), caprikon, delana(m), slimthugchimee2(m), AndSunGorilla and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.