Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,431 members, 7,800,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (296) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11521214 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) ... (16091) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:40pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
shogz89 thanks for the nice post.

” Iheanacho was full of running and my defenders couldn’t handle him. The space he created by dragging them was what allowed Victor Moses the chance to score twice” He said at the post match conference.

Why Shall I Not Shy?

And he is danm right,Iheanacho's pressing was phenomenal and he never got tired. However,he needs to work seriously on his first touch. He is young and learning and I know he will improve.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:41pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
This is what TheGooJoe and I have been trying to make others understand... Only few will see this (I indicated such in my write-up to TheGoodJoe and my response to Joseph1013's big question...)

My only stand is Nacho continues in the role as for now there is none better with such high pressing and pace upfront plus ability to attack space.

UNTIL A BADASS SUPER IN-FORM NO.9 RISES LIKE I KNOW AN OSIMHEN WOULD IN MONTHS FROM NOW.... Then Let Nacho keep leading the lines. He's the best goal threat we have. There's none better.

Nacho was "quiet" but wasnt useless yesterday... His running and high-pressing were too much for the Algerians.

He did what leekens just complained of. Anywhere he went, the algerian defenders followed him and that brought the likes of Moses and Iwobi and even Mikel more into the game in dangerous positions in the opposition's half.

What I do not understand is why the coach is blaming the players. They followed instructions. Stop Iheanacho and Iwobi and you stop the Super Eagles. grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:43pm On Nov 13, 2016
OdenigboAroli:

And he is danm right,Iheanacho's pressing was phenomenal and he never got tired. However,he needs to work seriously on his first touch. He is young and learning and I know he will improve.

Iwobi should teach Iheanacho how he does it. What are friends for?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:43pm On Nov 13, 2016
Few of my takes on the match.
My man of the match is Balogun followed by Etebor.
Onazi had an average game and should be benched next time for Ndidi....The level Super Eagles are playing at is above him.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:46pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Iwobi should teach Iheanacho how he does it. What are friends for?

Isn't this one of the things you learn while playing under a world class coach like Guardiola? I expect him to improve on that. This has always been his weakness.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:47pm On Nov 13, 2016
Mickael2:

there was an interview where Mikel said that when he was playing a dual pivot with Matic, he asked Matic before the game which one them should roam and which should sit, that should tell you that one sits predominantly or totally in fact.

From this still picture, you can see. Clearly Onazi who is our "sole DM" according to you guys pushing up the field to stop Brahimi while Etebo marked with the blue arrow sitting for him. Will I call Onazi box to box because he pushed further up field once in a while?
Why not solidify your arguments with pictures.
Cc TheGoodJoe, Mikeal2 and TheSuperNerd

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:50pm On Nov 13, 2016
goldfish80:

From this still picture, you can see. Clearly Onazi who is our "sole DM" according to you guys pushing up the field to stop Brahimi while Etebo marked with the blue arrow sitting for him. Will I call Onazi box to box because he pushed further up field once in a while?

That is a clear example why I am one of the heavy critiques of Onazi. You are the sitting defender. What are you doing up there? That is why Mikel shouted at Onazi, I think, that was against America. Sit. Sit. Sit.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:50pm On Nov 13, 2016
safarigirl:
elaborate please undecided

Mikel was average yesterday,he didn't have a great game. He needs to work harder for the team and press more. He weakness didn't show because Etebor was working for both him and erratic Onazi.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:53pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

That is a clear example why I am one of the heavy critiques of Onazi. You are the sitting defender. What are you doing up there? That is why Mikel shouted at Onazi, I think, that was against America. Sit. Sit. Sit.
We played a dual pivot last night. It was within his confines to push forward provided Etebo wasn't out of position and vice versa.
This is what I've been saying I've been saying. Its unbelievable you guys weren't even watching the game tactically.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:53pm On Nov 13, 2016
OdenigboAroli:

Isn't this one of the things you learn while playing under a world class coach like Guardiola? I expect him to improve on that. This has always been his weakness.

Iwobi's ball control is a gift.

Iheanacho's pressing and work rate improved drastically under Guardiola. Ball Control? Weakness for Nacho?

U17, watch his final goal against Mexico. He brought to ball down with ease, using his thigh. It is difficult controlling ball under pressure and most times, the pressure is highest on the attacker.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 13, 2016
mikron:
shocked hope u re safe there?
very safe cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by philip0906(m): 4:54pm On Nov 13, 2016
OdenigboAroli:

Mikel was average yesterday,he didn't have a great game. He needs to work harder for the team and press more. He weakness didn't show because Etebor was working for both him and erratic Onazi.
undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:57pm On Nov 13, 2016
Moses is still amateurish when he plays as a winger and I can see why Conte moved him to RWB. Moses doesn't play with the team. He reminds me of when we were kinds... Just take the ball and run till you score...no looking around to see who is open for a pass. We should convert him to RWB . Take away his two goals and I will rate Iheanacho ahead of him. He needs to learn a simple thing called team work.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:58pm On Nov 13, 2016
FINEST SARCASM OF THE WEEK!!!!!!!

LOOOLLLLLLL........

AND ALSO THE BIGGEST IRONY OF IT ALL!!!! grin grin grin

He did say, "stop nacho and Iwobi and you kill the Super Eagles' attacking flow" looollll

His defenders kept Nacho quiet but didnt make him entirely ineffective. "HIS QUIET GAME" still brought others like Moses in to do damage why?? because the attention was all on him... He attacked space and pulled others with him... Anyway he moves, belkaroui and others followed... YOU THINK SAY NA DEADALIEST FORWARD IN EUROPE FOR NOTHING?? grin some people no understand.

He was like the Queen bee surrounded by drones.

This is why he will continue to start for now and can only step back to the no.8/no.10 role when An Osimhen or any other super striker with pace, power (Nacho doesnt have power but makes up for that with his positioning/manuevering IQ) and such high-pressing qualities akin to Nacho rises.

Until then.... And that time is not far coz Osimhen's time beckons... smiley .... Until then.... Nacho leads... He's better than Ideye, Ighalo and Kayode... Success is another who can play that 9 role well but he hasnt in a while but I know he can... But my eyes are on Osimhen.

Back-ups: Sadiq Umar(bench/reserves), Awoniyi... (Pls wake up Awo dude.. We need you), Etc....

YESTERDAY'S LINE-UP WAS OUR BEST IN RECENT TIMES.... #FACT

TheGoodJoe:

What I do not understand is why the coach is blaming the players. They followed instructions. Stop Iheanacho and Iwobi and you stop the Super Eagles. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:59pm On Nov 13, 2016
goldfish80:

We played a dual pivot last night. It was within his confines to push forward provided Etebo wasn't out of position and vice versa.
This is what I've been saying I've been saying. Its unbelievable you guys weren't even watching the game tactically.

When I did my review yesterday, I left out some negatives because collectively we played brilliantly. When it comes to playing as a pivot, I (Personally) like the four sitting back. The CMF doing the pressing.

That was why I liked when Keshi stopped Onazi from playing the four role. Onazi is a bit too confident in his abilities. Reminds me of David Luiz. I understand a defender like Stones or Kompany pushing the ball with runs but it is absurd to me when without the ball the four is pushing.

It irks me when Onazi pushes like that. He is the four and the better defensive one.

That there is typical Onazi. Something we thought was a thing of the past.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:03pm On Nov 13, 2016
Plssss.... Iwobi na "god of first touch" and his ball controls... Na wa ooo... World class.

Whosoever says Iheanacho doesnt have ball control and reads this thread should take a sabbatical from football for three years to go watch Nacho matches again.

People's comments here are made out of the analytical or the sentimental or the reactionary ... The latter describes whoever terms Nacho "bad" in ball control.

TheGoodJoe:

Iwobi's ball control is a gift.

Iheanacho's pressing and work rate improved drastically under Guardiola. Ball Control? Weakness for Nacho?

U17, watch his final goal against Mexico. He brought to ball down with ease, using his thigh. It is difficult controlling ball under pressure and most times, the pressure is highest on the attacker.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:04pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
FINEST SARCASM OF THE WEEK!!!!!!!

LOOOLLLLLLL........

AND ALSO THE BIGGEST IRONY OF IT ALL!!!! grin grin grin

He did say, "stop nacho and Iwobi and you kill the Super Eagles' attacking flow" looollll

His defenders kept Nacho quiet but didnt make him entirely ineffective. "HIS QUIET GAME" still brought others like Moses in to do damage why?? because the attention was all on him... He attacked space and pulled others with him... Anyway he moves, belkaroui and others followed... YOU THINK SAY NA DEADALIEST FORWARD IN EUROPE FOR NOTHING?? grin some people no understand.

He was like the Queen bee surrounded by drones.

This is why he will continue to start for now and can only step back to the no.8/no.10 role when An Osimhen or any other super striker with pace, power (Nacho doesnt have power but makes up for that with his positioning/manuevering IQ) and such high-pressing qualities akin to Nacho rises.

Until then.... And that time is not far coz Osimhen's time beckons... smiley .... Until then.... Nacho leads... He's better than Ideye, Ighalo and Kayode... Success is another who can play that 9 role well but he hasnt in a while but I know he can... But my eyes are on Osimhen.

Back-ups: Sadiq Umar(bench/reserves), Awoniyi... (Pls wake up Awo dude.. We need you), Etc....

YESTERDAY'S LINE-UP WAS OUR BEST IN RECENT TIMES.... #FACT

Awo's case is frustrating. He needs to find a coach to teach him how to finish.

We still have Otigba and Aluko. The kind selection headache Rohr is having needs Super Ultra Panadol.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by shogz89: 5:06pm On Nov 13, 2016
OdenigboAroli:

Am sure we didn't watch the same match.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:09pm On Nov 13, 2016
OdenigboAroli:
Moses is still amateurish when he plays as a winger and I can see why Conte moved him to RWB. Moses doesn't play with the team. He reminds me of when we were kinds... Just take the ball and run till you score...no looking around to see who is open for a pass. We should convert him to RWB . Take away his two goals and I will rate Iheanacho ahead of him. He needs to learn a simple thing called team work.

But, Moses showed improvement yesterday. There was a time Echiejile overlapped and passed Moses. I murmured. Moses will not see Echiejile. Not long after my murmur, Moses dropped the ball for Echiejile with a neat touch.

His team work play improved yesterday. He is not as selfish as he used to be.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:10pm On Nov 13, 2016
Now I know how you do analysis... Loolll

You dont know when a player is playing against orders?? Like serioulsy?

Onazi showed his "positional discipline issues" again yesterday. I just didnt wanna speak on it.

In that game... From the blast of the whistle till changes were made.... Onazi was our "sitting" Anchor in that double pivot. That was his role... It was his positional indiscipline that caused that bentaleb goal.

Etebo was the "roaming" one. Deal with it... smiley

goldfish80:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:10pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
But only one "sat" in that role in front of the defence.... Before changes were made.

They both did..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:14pm On Nov 13, 2016
Nope... They "both" did not... One did... And his positional indiscipline reared its ugly head again.

tbaba1234:

They both did..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:14pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

When I did my review yesterday, I left out some negatives because collectively we played brilliantly. When it comes to playing as a pivot, I (Personally) like the four sitting back. The CMF doing the pressing.

That was why I liked when Keshi stopped Onazi from playing the four role. Onazi is a bit too confident in his abilities. Reminds me of David Luiz. I understand a defender like Stones or Kompany pushing the ball with runs but it is absurd to me when without the ball the four is pushing.

It irks me when Onazi pushes like that. He is the four and the more experienced one.

That there is typical Onazi. Something we thought was a thing of the past.
I wasn't arguing what we should have played. I was strictly analysing what we played.
Onazi is a highly mobile player. He is not the stereotype sit in front of the CB DM. His best game which was against France he was licensed to roam across field and be the destroyer.
Keshi tried this out first against Italy in the friendly match. Onazi was on fire in Fulham against Italy.....
Rohr should be say deploy him in this role with Etebo, where they rotate positions in transitions.

Watch Onazi extinguish the Italians to understand my point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EufDXv5eiL0

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:21pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Now I know how you do analysis... Loolll

You dont know when a player is playing against orders?? Like serioulsy?

Onazi showed his "positional discipline issues" again yesterday. I just didnt wanna speak on it.

In that game... From the blast of the whistle till changes were made.... Onazi was our "sitting" Anchor in that double pivot. That was his role... It was his positional indiscipline that caused that bentaleb goal.

Etebo was the "roaming" one. Deal with it... smiley

Am posting analysis based in what exactly happened last night with pictures while your points are hinged on winning arguments ml.
You haven't said anything educative. You're simply running your arguments on primordial sentiments and what your gut feelings tell you.
Use pictures or videos to illustrate your points. I can also say Etebo lacked positional discipline because he was no where to be found in the two action moments I was analysing with Mickael2.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:28pm On Nov 13, 2016
I dont have to burn "mb" to show you anything. A game I watched and downloaded to view critically again... Looollll

Just admit how wrong you are.... smiley

Just say you dont understand the "sitting" and the "roaming" pivot roles...

You think it's by being "over-analytical" that shows you make sense. Nope .... It's by being as simple as possible in explanations.

You are wrong so just face it. Loollll

goldfish80:

Am posting analysis based in what exactly happened last night with pictures while your points are hinged on winning arguments ml.
You haven't said anything educative. You're simply running your arguments on primordial sentiments and what your gut feelings tell you.
Use pictures or videos to illustrate your points. I can also say Etebo lacked positional discipline because he was no where to be found in the two action moments I was analysing with Mickael2.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:32pm On Nov 13, 2016
goldfish80:

I wasn't arguing what we should have played. I was strictly analysing what we played.
Onazi is a highly mobile player. He is not the stereotype sit in front of the CB DM. His best game which was against France he was licensed to roam across field and be the destroyer.
Keshi tried this out first against Italy in the friendly match. Onazi was on fire in Fulham against Italy.....
Rohr should be say deploy him in this role with Etebo, where they rotate positions in transitions.

Watch Onazi extinguish the Italians to understand my point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EufDXv5eiL0

I do not need to watch Onazi extinguish players. I used a term, too confident in his abilities. Onazi believes his talent. He believes that he can leave his position, go forward, miss the ball, track back and retrieve the ball. Onazi is that good and he is knows it. However, he puts his side under unnecessary pressure.

I have no doubt in my mind Onazi would have been one of the best defensive shields in football, if he just sat. He wants more during the games.

Just like my past critiques of Echiejile. There is a reason why there is the term defender or defensive.

Onazi exerts so much energy during games. If he sat and destroyed attacking forces of the opponents, he will marvel many.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 5:33pm On Nov 13, 2016
@OdenigboAroli, The Goodjoe & @The SuperNerd, you guys are spot on in yours analysis.
*Iheanacho was impressive ysterdy. Our bench wont do better judging by their standard.#Fact.
* Alex was very poor in the second half. As at 52nd mins ought to have been taken off.
* @ goldfish80, Onazi is an indiscipline defensive midfielder so expect to see him in joining attack. David luis is another example. Personally, i will prefer mikel in that role while ndidi patner him & etebo ahead of them.
* Victor moses loves to run at defenders. it is only a CF that is prepared for give & take passes with him that will enjoy him. Hardly the type crossing into the box. Guess we saw from the FKs he took. Nothing threatening. Is like expecting a delightful cross from Echiejile, u go dry finish for sunsmiley

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:36pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

But, Moses showed improvement yesterday. There was a time Echiejile overlapped and passed Moses. I murmured. Moses will not see Echiejile. Not long after my murmur, Moses dropped the ball for Echiejile with a neat touch.

His team work play improved yesterday. He is not as selfish as he used to be.

Little improvements but I imagine how dangerous the Super Eagles will be if only Moses can play with the team. Whenever he is around the 18yrd box the only thing in his mind is I wanna be the one to score . And this takes away from the team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:41pm On Nov 13, 2016
OdenigboAroli:

Little improvements but I imagine how dangerous the Super Eagles will be if only Moses can play with the team. Whenever he is around the 18yrd box the only thing in his mind is I wanna be the one to score . And this takes away from the team.

We saw improvements in Onazi in the game against Zambia. He played in a disciplined manner. In this game we saw massive improvements in Echiejile and little with V. Moses.

So, I believe with time, Rohr will make the players improve in their disciplined play.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:42pm On Nov 13, 2016
Onazi was the sitting DM yet he was no where to be found when Bentaleb lunched his bullet. I am sick and tired of people always mopping about what a workaholic Onazi ,while we have players who can go combat and still create play in the midfield.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 5:43pm On Nov 13, 2016
DEATHMACHINE:
very safe cheesy
k. im watching the ghana vs egypt match now wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 5:49pm On Nov 13, 2016
43" penalty to Egypt. mohammed sallah scores for egypt. ghana in trouble

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) ... (16091) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.