Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,829 members, 7,806,329 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:53 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (298) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11565379 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) (301) ... (16111) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:24pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I do not need to watch Onazi extinguish players. I used a term, too confident in his abilities. Onazi believes his talent. He believes that he can leave his position, go forward, miss the ball, track back and retrieve the ball. Onazi is that good and he is knows it. However, he puts his side under unnecessary pressure.

I have no doubt in my mind Onazi would have been one of the best defensive shields in football, if he just sat. He wants more during the games.

Just like my past critiques of Echiejile. There is a reason why there is the term defender or defensive.

Onazi exerts so much energy during games. If he sat and destroyed attacking forces of the opponents, he will marvel many.
I thought you were an apostle of ticki taka and total football?
How come you want to see a player limit his potential and not express himself by just standing in front of the defenders?
Total football is all about quick passing, complex combinations and MOVEMENT.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:24pm On Nov 13, 2016
OdenigboAroli:

Nne,your head correct wella. Actually, I was going for 4 places for West Africa,Senegal,Nigeria,Ghana and Ivory Coast. I know Senegal will qualify but I fear for Ghana.
if Senegal qualify somehow, then no problem.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 8:27pm On Nov 13, 2016
zoboizee:

I don't think his submission is borne out of bias. Did u see mikel's miscue at the edge of the box. Look, Mikel is a delight to watch in DMF than Onazi. Very disciplined. In 2013, against Ivory coast, he was simply a joy to behold. Marking, intercepting & initiating attack with simple but delightful passes. Onazi is better off running up & down the channels. We don't need to be asking Mikel to choose his preferred position.
Did u see also the goal he scored at the edge of the box.
Bias is an understatement to those comments,it's the worst comment of the day

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:30pm On Nov 13, 2016
And that's how Ghana will not go for world cup.

PS: I no dey follow anybody argue, I've made my point. I purposely refrain from posting on this thread because I'm well aware certain close-minded people here have unfounded issues when I post that never seem to come up when others post subtle insults.

So yeah, I'm done for today. Na only Kelechi and Mikel dey make me talk here sef. I no send anybody else

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:31pm On Nov 13, 2016
Looolll... I remembered when you killed it saying Iheanacho is a fox-in-the-box striker only.... That sent me into coma...looollll

Ofcos Analysis is not easy. It is complex to the ignorant but should be made simple. Whatever you cant simplify means you dont understand so well... smiley

Vargas and Sanchez argument went the way it went. And yep Vargas was Chile's actual main man up-top. Playing Sanchez was purely due to the coach's tactics. At Copa America 2016, Vargas led or u didnt see that as well? Dont wanna dwell too much on that abeg...... It belongs to the past.

So plsss... Accept that you were wrong... Mikel played in the central AMF position.

Etebo roamed and didnt sit... He was box-to-box-kinda... NOT sitting-kinda.

STOP TRYING SO HARD TO "SAVE" YOUR REPUTATION... Loollll... That's if you've got one.

It's not harmful learning from a youngster. Is it? wink

Swallow that pride of yours... smiley

So much for being the "tactical" one.... Loolll

goldfish80:

LOL lol lol... Analysis is not simple my guy. If it were simple clubs won't pay millions of dollars to buy data analysis companies. Technical advisers and federations would not pay top dollar to engage the services of video and data analysts.
I've noticed you don't exactly watch the tactical part of football. I remember one time you jumped in an argument where you supported TheGoodJoe that Eduardo Vargas is Chile's main striker and Alexis Sanchez was the winger. When push came to shove, you couldn't prove Sanchez played in the wings while Vargas lead the line ... Lol lol lol
We played a double pivot last night with Etebo and Onazi as the duo in the 4-2-3-1 formation while Mikel played as the box to box midfielder.
Just take it that you leant something from me grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:36pm On Nov 13, 2016
Abeg... January is not far.... Mikel should leave as he's not wanted. No need holding unto to some false hope...

He's important to our quest for Russia 2018 qualification. In the long run, we need him playing regularly.

tbaba1234:
Loftus Cheek is injured, does that Mikel returns to the bench or will Conte look for another academy player?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:37pm On Nov 13, 2016
I think I should raise this point about FIFA and Caf goofing with the seedings of various teams km this world cup qualifiers across Europe and Africa.

First of all, Cape Verde were seeded in port 1 as a result of their fifa ranking which they ranked as first in Africa at the point of seeding.
Somehow Cape Verde gamed the system and somehow they found themselves in the lofty position as the first in Africa.
What Cape Verde have achieved over the past few year to warrant this seeding is what I don't understand.

As a result of this, more traditional African power houses found themselves in same group struggling to get the sole ticket.
One of Nigeria/Algeria will miss out on the world cup.
Either of Ghana/Egypt won't be in South Africa.

Two games down the road, these Cape verdians are rock bottom in their group with zero point.

In Europe, the story is the same with Wales and Romania seeded in Port 1.while traditional teams like France and Italy were in port 2

So many teams will miss this world cup, not because they aren't good enough but because the seedings by FIFA was crap and senseless.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:43pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Looolll... I remembered when you killed it saying Iheanacho is a fox-in-the-box striker only.... That sent me into coma...looollll

Ofcos Analysis is not easy. It is complex to the ignorant but should be made simple. Whatever you cant simplify means you dont understand so well... smiley

Vargas and Sanchez argument went the way it went. Dont wanna dwell too much on that...

So plsss... Accept that you were wrong... Mikel played in the central AMF position.

Etebo roamed and didnt sit... He was box-to-box-kinda... NOT sitting-kinda.

It's not harmful learning from a youngster. Is it? wink

Swallow that pride of yours... smiley

Yes! City has turned kelechi into a fox in the box. You can see the game yesterday he had little influence on the proceedings.
I saw this handwriting on the wall since last year. City want to shoe horn Ihenacho into a fox in the box!
They will gradually kill the inventive part of his game which is his key asset if they continue playing as a top 9.

Ive been saying this for almost a year now and I've been ridiculed because of this.
But am glad it took this performance against Algeria for some to understand what I've been trying to pass across.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:52pm On Nov 13, 2016
So you havent seen me talking about Utilising Nacho's allround qualities huh?? Na only your crusade you see......

So City had made Nacho a "fox-in-the-box" huh?

So Nacho's no.9 qualities at City is "fox-in-the-box" to you?

*smh* Wonder when Nacho and Chicharito shared same "striker" qualities.....

Plssss for the love of football.... Dont call Nacho a fox-in-the-box striker... That's not what I see at City. That's not what a true "tactical" eye sees in Nacho's game at City even as a no.9.

goldfish80:

Yes! City has turned kelechi into a fox in the box. You can see the game yesterday he had little influence on the proceedings.
I saw this handwriting on the wall since last year. City want to shoe horn Ihenacho into a fox in the box!
They will gradually kill the inventive part of his game which is his key asset if they continue playing as a top 9.

Ive been saying this for almost a year now and I've been ridiculed because of this.
But am glad it took this performance against Algeria for some to understand what I've been trying to pass across.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 8:58pm On Nov 13, 2016
zoboizee:

I don't think his submission is borne out of bias. Did u see mikel's miscue at the edge of the box. Look, Mikel is a delight to watch in DMF than Onazi. Very disciplined. In 2013, against Ivory coast, he was simply a joy to behold. Marking, intercepting & initiating attack with simple but delightful passes. Onazi is better off running up & down the channels. We don't need to be asking Mikel to choose his preferred position.
He said "I don't fancy" Mikel playing in the AMF...It's all about his preference.
Mikel was insulted and named slowbie in the 2O14 WC, and guess what, he was DM. I don't know what else he could have done yesterday. To remind you, it was Algeria we played.
Also, what's the talk about him picking where to play?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:06pm On Nov 13, 2016
zoboizee:

I ignore his accusations because I hear emotion speaking. Who doesn't know the reason we play Mikel in the attacking MF is because of our lack of a proper attacking midfielder.
Yes,his passes are great but dude is not an attacking midfielder. I hope Rohr takes a gamble and play Iwobi there. I can't wait for Kelechi Nwakali to mature.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:10pm On Nov 13, 2016
I See Myself In Him- Nigeria Legend Taribo
West Gushes Over Super Eagles Defender

Super Eagles legend Taribo West has hailed the
performance of defender Leon Balogun in
Nigeria’s 3-1 win over Algeria saying the defender reminds him of himself during his playing days.

Balogun frustrated the Algerians from threatening the Nigerian goal in the World Cup 2018 qualifiers at the Nest of Champions Stadium in Uyo.

Standing up tall against the threat of Yaccine
Brahaimi, Islam Slimani and Riyad Mahrez.

West who had a distinguished career both at club and national team level believes the Mainz 05 defender has proven himself to be what Nigeria has been missing for a while.

”The boy (Leon Balogun) is good, he is no way
the finished product yet, but have not seen any
defender in the colours of Nigeria, who reminds
me of myself like him” He told Owngoalnigeria.com.

”He won everything in the air, calm with the ball at his feet and good in reading and intercepting play. He is a natural leader, a sure captain material if he maintains his performance”.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/13/9046/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 9:11pm On Nov 13, 2016
mr goldfish80 i like that your double pivot talk. i don follow person argue am before.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:17pm On Nov 13, 2016
Why Ighalo & Ideye Didn’t Play Against
Algeria – Gernot Rohr Explains

Coach of the Nigeria team Gernot Rohr has
revealed why regular forwards Odion Ighalo and
Brown Ideye didn’t play in yesterday’s World Cup 2018 qualifiers which Nigeria won 3-1 against Algeria.

Ighalo led the line in the manager’s first game in charge while Ideye did same in Ighalo’s absence against Zambia, but the duo were left on the bench as Rohr opt to play Kelechi Iheanacho upfront.

”We have to approach games with different
tactics and players. Iheanacho fits the way we
wanted to play against Algeria, same way Ighalo
and Ideye in our previous games” He told
Owngoalnigeria.com.

”You also know that at a point in time all we
needed to do was to manage the game as we not too comfortable at 2-1, with Algeria pushing to level and leaving space behind. Ahmed Musa was most needed at the time, and he proved us right judging by his performance.

”We had no need for either Ideye or Ighalo due
to how the game went, but they are key players
in the team. They are very talented and much
needed”.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/13/why-ighalo-ideye-didnt-play-against-algeria-gernot-rohr-explains/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:21pm On Nov 13, 2016
tbaba1234:

He did and it is a valid criticism. Criticising a player does not mean, i dislike him.

I never used dislike or hate.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:23pm On Nov 13, 2016
It has to be about friendlies first..... Before "Cameroun".
Chelsea Wonderkid Abraham In Line To Make Nigeria Debut Vs Cameroon, Claims NFF

The Nigeria Football Federation are ready to fast
track the highly-rated Chelsea striker Tammy
Abraham into the national team.

The 19-year-old Abraham has taken the
Championship by storm this season, netting 12
goals in 20 matches in all competitions for Bristol City.

Nigeria Football Federation vice-president
Akinwunmi has claimed that the England U21
international is in line to make his competitive
debut for the Super Eagles when they take on
Cameroon in their next World Cup qualifier.

“There are many young players who were not here with the team – the youngster Tammy
Abraham at Chelsea, Taiwo Awoniyi, Isaac
Success, Victor Osimhen, many of them who in a few months will be challenging for places in this team,” Seyi Akinwunmi was quoted as saying by africanfootball.com.

Born in Camberwel, England, Abraham has
represented England’s U18, U19 and U21
national teams, and Fifa will have to give him
clearance if he decides to play for Nigeria in
future.

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21063

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:23pm On Nov 13, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

I never used dislike or hate.

You raised exception to my criticism of him as if i was just singling him out.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:28pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Why Ighalo & Ideye Didn’t Play Against
Algeria – Gernot Rohr Explains

Coach of the Nigeria team Gernot Rohr has
revealed why regular forwards Odion Ighalo and
Brown Ideye didn’t play in yesterday’s World Cup 2018 qualifiers which Nigeria won 3-1 against Algeria.

Ighalo led the line in the manager’s first game in charge while Ideye did same in Ighalo’s absence against Zambia, but the duo were left on the bench as Rohr opt to play Kelechi Iheanacho upfront.

”We have to approach games with different
tactics and players. Iheanacho fits the way we
wanted to play against Algeria, same way Ighalo
and Ideye in our previous games” He told
Owngoalnigeria.com.

”You also know that at a point in time all we
needed to do was to manage the game as we not too comfortable at 2-1, with Algeria pushing to level and leaving space behind. Ahmed Musa was most needed at the time, and he proved us right judging by his performance.

”We had no need for either Ideye or Ighalo due
to how the game went, but they are key players
in the team. They are very talented and much
needed”.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/13/why-ighalo-ideye-didnt-play-against-algeria-gernot-rohr-explains/

I hope this kills the talk of dropping these guys. Ighalo impressed me at halftime by talking to Iheanacho and trying to give him confidence, Ighalo never pouted and we need selfless players like this if we are to do anything major.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 9:28pm On Nov 13, 2016
OdenigboAroli:

I ignore his accusations because I hear emotion speaking. Who doesn't know the reason we play Mikel in the attacking MF is because of our lack of a proper attacking midfielder.
Yes,his passes are great but dude is not an attacking midfielder. I hope Rohr takes a gamble and play Iwobi there. I can't wait for Kelechi Nwakali to mature.
of course you'll have to ignore. perhaps Mikel will have to dance on the ball and dribble round so that we'll all say he is an AMF.
I don't even get to understand why you and your friend assumed I was accussing you on Mikel only when I quoted all of the comment. Weren't you the one who concluded moses was poor if his two goals were excluded?
You can see why I tagged you as bias.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:30pm On Nov 13, 2016
goldfish80:

very true. only God knows if such is deliberate or not.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:33pm On Nov 13, 2016
Here's the complete report on Tammy and other uncapped youngsters smiley

They also berra put their eyes on fullback reinforcements (Ebuehi, Iorfa Jnr, Odubajo-when he returns, etc) and on Otigba too

EAGLES FLYING BECAUSE WE'RE PLAYING
YOUNGER PLAYERS - TOP NFF CHIEF

Eagles vs Algeria - A blend of youth and
experience

The Super Eagles are flying again thanks to the
young blood coach Gernot Rohr has injected into the team, according to top NFF chief Seyi
Akinwunmi.

Kelechi Iheanacho, Alex Iwobi, Wilfred Ndidi, Dele Alampasu, Musa Mohammed and Kingsley Madu are all under 20.

The average age of the starting Eagles XI in
Zambia last month was 25.

“The key is that we have lowered the average age of the Super Eagles,” said Nigeria Football
Federation (NFF) vice-president Akinwunmi.

“This is a game for young people and you could
even see at 90 minutes, when they were
genuinely tired, they kept going.”

He went on to reel out the names of several other youngsters who will soon be battling for places in the national team.

“There are many young players who were not
here with the team – the youngster Tammy
Abraham at Chelsea, Taiwo Awoniyi, Isaac
Success, Victor Osimhen, many of them who in a few months will be challenging for places in this team,” he said.

The Eagles outscored one of Africa’s top teams in Algeria on Saturday, but the top official
maintained they remain a work in progress.

“It was a deserved victory. I predicted that and
now I am happy the boys held out,” he said.

“Even when they pushed us in the second half, I was confident that if they scored, we will also
score.

“We are in the ‘Group of Life’, but we cannot take our foot off the pedal. We have to arrange games for the team so that there is continued
competition among the players.

“The World Cup is still very far away so that we
have to keep that tempo going.
“This team will surely get better.”

Source: http://africanfootball.com/news/663611/Eagles-flying-because-we-re-playing-younger-players-Top-NFF-chief

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:38pm On Nov 13, 2016
Awwwww... You saw that too... How sweet. smiley

Ighalo is still needed ooo... The Die-hard Camerounian defence await us. Thank God for Rohr's balanced tactical nous as regards the kind of players at his disposal and for which kinda opponent he wishes to unleash them upon.

Ideye and Ighalo are still needed big time.

BascoVanVeli:

I hope this kills the talk of dropping these guys. Ighalo impressed me at halftime by talking to Iheanacho and trying to give him confidence, Ighalo never pouted and we need selfless players like this if we are to do anything major.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:40pm On Nov 13, 2016
blueto:
...wait, but even at UAE, he scored close range goals more than spectacular 20-yard goals.

Anyway, every player has a 'turn' with Nigerian fans where they question their talent and relevance to the team. This game means it’s Kelechi's turn, so knock yourselves out.

By the next game, una go forget
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:42pm On Nov 13, 2016
What's true? Was Messi's "inventiveness" and "creativity" destroyed under Pep at Barca when played as a false 9?

Nacho at Man City under same Pep CANNOT BE a fox-in-the-box striker... Na wa oooo.

Cant believe some believe this bollock(s)...

blueto:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:47pm On Nov 13, 2016
Can you believe these guys??

Honestly Safari... Me sef don tire...

Nacho at same City fired in a scorching curler from outside the box against Southampton last season in City's 4-2 loss. That's just one of his couple of "spectaculars" last season.

I remember when the argument was Nacho CANT NOD THE BALL... He shamed them when he scored with a header against same southampton last season.

Na wa oooo...... Nigerian fans can be too forgetful and just "reactionary"

Goodness me!

safarigirl:
...wait, but even at UAE, he scored close range goals more than spectacular 20-yard goals.

Anyway, every player has a 'turn' with Nigerian fans where they question their talent and relevance to the team. This game means it’s Kelechi's turn, so knock yourselves out.

By the next game, una go forget

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:55pm On Nov 13, 2016
ALGERIA FA BOSS: WE LOST A MATCH WE
SHOULD NOT HAVE LOST

Algeria Football Federation boss Mohamed Raouraoua (left) with fans on arrival in Uyo, Nigeria

Disappointed Algeria FA president Mohamed
Raouraoua has admitted World Cup qualification
will now be difficult for his country after they
failed to take their chances against Nigeria.

Nigeria beat Algeria 3-1 on Saturday and dumped the North Africans to the bottom of Group B with a point from two matches.

“We lost to a very good, organised team from
Nigeria, but we had several chances to score
especially in the great second half,” Raouraoua
said.

“In football, you can’t win if they miss at least five clear chances to score.

“We lost the match we should not have lost
because of this.”

He further said the qualification for Russia 2018
has not yet been decided, but it will be even
more difficult for the Desert Foxes to put points
on the board.

“Nothing has been lost yet, there are still points
to be won. But it will be difficult because of the
quality of the teams we will face,” he admitted.

Source: http://africanfootball.com//news/663640/Algeria-FA-boss-We-lost-a-match-we-should-not-have-lost

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:59pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Can you believe these guys??

Honestly Safari... Me sef don tire...

Nacho at same City fired in a scorching curler from outside the box against Southampton last season in City's 4-2 loss. That's just one of his couple of "spectaculars" last season.

I remember when the argument was Nacho CANT NOD THE BALL... He shamed them when he scored with a header against same southampton last season.

Na wa oooo...... Nigerian fans can be too forgetful and just "reactionary"

Goodness me!

I no even wan talk
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:03pm On Nov 13, 2016
Me, I know this is just Mikel covering his ass... smiley

He's smart and very political... He understand the club-country politics very well... We already know the truth which Rohr so boldly declared few days back.

MIKEL DISAGREES WITH ROHR AGAIN, SAYS
CHELSEA NOT 'PUNISHING' HIM FOR RIO
OLYMPICS

Mikel shows off his Olympic bronze medal

Mikel Obi has again disagreed with Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr for the second time this week when he insisted he is not being shut out at his club Chelsea because he featured at the recent Rio Olympics.

Nigeria skipper Mikel said in a statement that
Chelsea manager Antonio Conte supported him to feature at the Olympics and there is mutual
respect between he, the manager and the Nigeria national team.

"I’d like to clarify that the recent media claims
I’ve been punished by Chelsea FC for
participating at the Rio 2016 Olympics are
completely inaccurate,” read the statement.

"Unfortunately comments made by Gernot Rohr
before yesterday’s 3-1 win over Algeria were both mistranslated and taken out of context by the Nigerian media, as English isn’t Mr Rohr’s or
much of the Nigerian media’s first language.

"To be absolutely clear, Mr Conte and Chelsea
were always fully supportive of my captaincy of
the Nigerian team at Rio.

"The manager gave me his full blessing to
participate at the Olympics, and even encouraged me to bring back the gold medal - something I spoke to the media about at the time.

"It goes without saying there is nothing but
absolute respect between myself, the Nigerian
national team and Chelsea FC, something that
was demonstrated by Mr Rohr’s recent visit to
Cobham.

"My only focus now is on winning more silverware with Chelsea and getting Nigeria to the 2018 World Cup, two challenges I can’t wait to face in the coming months."

Before the match against Algeria on Saturday,
Mikel told the local media he would accept a draw with the North Africans, while Rohr made it very clear the Eagles need to win at home to stay on course for Russia 2018.

Source: http://africanfootball.com//news/663648/Mikel-disagrees-with-Rohr-again-says-Chelsea-not-punishing-him-for-Rio-Olympics

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 10:04pm On Nov 13, 2016
klexycole:

Wow! That's gonna be awesome. grin Would be expecting kiss

Mikron no look here o tongue
i just dey look una in 3D. optional1 abeg tell my friend when exactly u dey come make we send rolls royce phantom come pick u biko wink wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 10:05pm On Nov 13, 2016
shogz89:
a three point lead is nothing o bro,,, anybody can still win that group.
true
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:06pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
ALGERIA FA BOSS: WE LOST A MATCH WE
SHOULD NOT HAVE LOST

Disappointed Algeria FA president Mohamed
Raouraoua has admitted World Cup qualification
will now be difficult for his country after they
failed to take their chances against Nigeria.

Nigeria beat Algeria 3-1 on Saturday and dumped the North Africans to the bottom of Group B with a point from two matches.

“We lost to a very good, organised team from
Nigeria, but we had several chances to score
especially in the great second half,” Raouraoua
said.

“In football, you can’t win if they miss at least five clear chances to score.

“We lost the match we should not have lost
because of this.”

He further said the qualification for Russia 2018
has not yet been decided, but it will be even
more difficult for the Desert Foxes to put points
on the board.

“Nothing has been lost yet, there are still points
to be won. But it will be difficult because of the
quality of the teams we will face,” he admitted.

Source: http://africanfootball.com//news/663640/Algeria-FA-boss-We-lost-a-match-we-should-not-have-lost

I like his faith...at least they have Zambia next
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:11pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
So you havent seen me talking about Utilising Nacho's allround qualities huh?? Na only your crusade you see......

So City had made Nacho a "fox-in-the-box" huh?

So Nacho's no.9 qualities at City is "fox-in-the-box" to you?

*smh* Wonder when Nacho and Chicharito shared same "striker" qualities.....

Plssss for the love of football.... Dont call Nacho a fox-in-the-box striker... That's not what I see at City. That's not what a true "tactical" eye sees in Nacho's game at City even as a no.9.

To be quite honest, I've seen you tell TheGoodJoe that Iheanacho's best position is behind a striker as a SS.
If you've watched Iheanacho closely at City, you will notice he sparsely participates in the build up play. Whenever he does, you can see he creates danger.
I don't think anyone is arguing if Iheanacho talented, we are just saying that going by this stage of his development, he is being utilised wrongly by city,obviously because he scores goals at the moment.
The long term effect this will have on his general play would be to cut his creative spark and become "A FOX IN THE BOX"

I will prefer to see Kevin de bryne as a false 9 while Iheanacho takes up his proper role behind him.

(1) (2) (3) ... (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) (301) ... (16111) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Amedino99(m), Meliforme, immobilare(m), Cecco90 and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.