Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,106 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:37 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11260050 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15994) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:16am On Mar 31, 2016
Victor Moses, Ighalo support Internally Displaced Persons in Nigeria

Victor Moses shows support for match in support of IDPs in Nigeria

England-based Victor Moses and Odion Ighalo as well as Godfrey Oboabona of Turkish club Rizespor have thrown their support behind the football event organised with the intention of giving hope to the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in Nigeria.

The IDPs are persons who were forced to leave their homes as a result of attacks from the Boko Haram insurgents.

They are scattered all over the federation in settlements provided for them by the federal government.

The event will take place in Abuja on April 6 at the Gongola Settlement for the IDPs and it is expected to be top-notch that will showcase Nigerians and people from the diplomatic communities donating gifts to the people.

A football match between the IDPs and a selected side will be staged on that day.

The organiser, Aderonke Ogunleye-Bello, an award-winning Nigerian journalist, the event is aimed at using sports for development and to give back to the society.

“Sports is a universal language which can be used to make a lot of change in the world, we aim at using this event to preach a message of hope to the IDPS and show them that we love them and to also assure them that, they have not been forgotten,” she said.

“April 6 is a UN day on sports for peace and development and we have decided to take a message to the IDPs by reassuring them that all will be okay.”

To commemorate the day, the Nigerian Red cross, UNAIDS, UNFPA, UNICEF, The Likeminds project, NAIJ.com, Pulse.ng, Hon. Dapo Lam-Adesina, The Nigeria Football Federation, 36 Lion FC, Argentina embassy and others from the diplomatic community are partners of the event.
http://africanfootball.com/news/622875/Victor-Moses-Ighalo-support-Internally-Displaced-Persons-in-Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:16am On Mar 31, 2016
EXCLUSIVE: Turkish club can't afford Chelsea loanee Omeruo

Omeruo signs for Kasimpasa on loan from Chelsea last year

by Samm Audu

Turkish club Kasimpasa will not sign Nigeria defender Kenneth Omeruo on a permanent transfer at the end of this season, AfricanFootball.com can exclusively reveal.

Omeruo has shone in Turkey, featuring in 18 matches and Kasimpasa are eighth on the Turkish Super Lig table.

Kasimpasa have the option to sign him permanently, but sources told AfricanFootball.com the modest Istanbul club do not have the cash for that and would rather want to have him on loan again for another season.

“Kasimpasa don’t have the money to buy Omeruo outrightly at the end of the season. They rather want another loan for the player and it may now mean the player will have to return to Chelsea,” a source informed AfricanFootball.com

Omeruo still has two more years on his contract at Premier League champions and if there is no agreement between ‘The Blues’ and Kasimpasa, the 22-year-old central defender will return to Stamford Bridge at season’s end.

He has already been shipped out on loan by Chelsea to Dutch ADO Den Haag and English Championship side Middlesbrough.
http://africanfootball.com/news/622810/EXCLUSIVE-Turkish-club-can-t-afford-Chelsea-loanee-Omeruo

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:17am On Mar 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Sorry, I am mixing the comeback with the winning goals.

The crossing system during the comeback, can work as I earlier pointed out due to the aerial threats posed by Lewandowski and Muller.

Do you think Ighalo can offer that?

Which of our players can cross like those guys? When we talk of the Nigerian past team, there is no one today in Bayern, not even Boateng or Lahm, that can cross as Finidi George. Amunike was also a good crosser. Even Celestine Babayaro.

So that would not have been a good option for us in that game.

As I said, from Kaduna to Alexandria, I do not remember us winning an aerial ball. So why should we resort to crosses? That is playing to their strength.

You are talking about the match but i am talking about bad selection prior to the two matches. That's is the difference btw us.

Moses, Simon, Odubanjo, Ezekiel etc can cross ball wella but unfortunately some were not picked.

Odion Ighalo, Anthony Ujah, Victor Moses, Brown Ideye grin and Ambrose can pose aerial threat. That i am sure of it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:43am On Mar 31, 2016
forgiveness:

You are talking about the match but i am talking about bad selection prior to the two matches. That's is the difference btw us.

Moses, Simon, Odubanjo, Ezekiel etc can cross ball wella but unfortunately some were not picked.

Odion Ighalo, Anthony Ujah, Victor Moses, Brown Ideye grin and Ambrose can pose aerial threat. That i am sure of it.

Victor Moses, aerial threat from where? How many goals in his whole careers has he called.

You can not call everyone to camp. This is because of we had only three days to work with the professionals.

So if you are analysing who we would have called, then you are neglecting a big part of the challenges the coaches faced. Time constraint.

There was no time to invite 42 foreign professionals to camp and get them ready in two days for the match.

As for Ighalo, how many times do you see him score goals with his head this season. There are people who are gifted with their heads. I do not see Ighalo as one.

With the players we had on ground, crossing was not an option. If your advising that we should have used crosses due to players we did not invite, then I wonder what you are suggesting.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:48am On Mar 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Is there anyone on this thread who felt Echiejile performed better than Amuzie.

I want to know.

Solace Chukwu pointed that the wing backs did not provide width. I remember Amuzie putting in a cross that the Goal Keeper caught. Did Echiejile put in an accurate cross?

I am sick of the ridiculous highly experience talk. It is so baffling that is the point to play Echiejile.

If anyone feels Echiejile performed better, I will like to know.

What did Echiejile do when he came on that justified a starting position?

Guy,trouble yourself not. Isn't it obvious Amuzie is a better option with an intimidating attacking threat.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:52am On Mar 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Echiejile lost his place in the squad in the last qualifying games of Coach Keshi after consecutive poor performances led us to a bad position in the qualifiers.

How can people ask about Echiejile instead of asking the true question. What made Sunday Oliseh not call Juwon Oshaniwa after Juwon Oshaniwa became the left back under Coach Keshi.

Why did Coach Siasia not call Juwon Oshaniwa?

Juwon Oshaniwa played that LB position at the WC(of which he performed below average according to my assessment) because we have no other option. The guy sef no sabi trap ball!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:13pm On Mar 31, 2016
NRIPRIEST:

Juwon Oshaniwa played that LB position at the WC(of which he performed below average according to my assessment) because we have no other option. The guy sef no sabi trap ball!

How can you even make such a statement? Juwon Oshaniwa is a good ball playing left back.

Below is Sportsmole's rating of Juwon Oshaniwa against Argentina.
Juwon Oshaniwa: Solid enough showing but lucky to remain on the pitch after a couple of meaty challenges.

Bleacherreport rating of the same game.
Juwon Oshaniwa: Linking up nicely with Musa.

Jide Salu's rating
Juwon Oshaniwa – Had a solid game like in the previous matches with Iran and Bosnia. He was consistent in his passing.

So I wonder how you saw someone who could not trap ball. They all said he was solid.

That guy impressed me. I am not saying he is World class but Juwon is the best among those who have represented on the left back role recently.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:16pm On Mar 31, 2016
NRIPRIEST:

One of my friend made a joke that the only good thing he saw in Juwon Oshaniwa was his bicycle Clearance against Argentina.

I said, "Haba."
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:20pm On Mar 31, 2016
Juwon Oshaniwa: If there was one person that exceeded expectations for Nigeria in Brazil, that has to be Oshaniwa. The injury to Elderson Echiejile meant he was the only left back in the team. He seized the opportunity and was a difficult player to beat. Juwon may lack good attacking instincts but Echiejile would have to fight hard to get his shirt back. Keshi got this right. 6/10

http://soccergunz.com/2014/08/01/nigeria-players-rating-in-brazil-2014-worldcup/

I saw this writer's rating of Mikel at the World Cup and I wanted to rain abuse on him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:16pm On Mar 31, 2016
I heard NFF wants to sue CAF, how true please?

Personallu, I felt our grouping was unfair. Seriously? Two power housees who had missed the last two AFCONs....wasn't very smart considering some groups have shiiit teams nobody wants to see at AFCON.

We could have gotten a better grouping, and then na only our group come get team wey withdraw?

The dynamics were never favourable and Egypt was the banana peel that worked against us.....they've been out 3 editions in a row, so they deserve it more anyway.

Still pained by the line-up and how easily we could have won if Siasia had just made the right decisions

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by slam7000(m): 1:21pm On Mar 31, 2016
@safari girl, now I know why those stories are never completed. Now I know why you complain of writers block..

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:45pm On Mar 31, 2016
safarigirl:
I heard NFF wants to sue CAF, how true please?

Personallu, I felt our grouping was unfair. Seriously? Two power housees who had missed the last two AFCONs....wasn't very smart considering some groups have shiiit teams nobody wants to see at AFCON.

We could have gotten a better grouping, and then na only our group come get team wey withdraw?

The dynamics were never favourable and Egypt was the banana peel that worked against us.....they've been out 3 editions in a row, so they deserve it more anyway.

Still pained by the line-up and how easily we could have won if Siasia had just made the right decisions

The groupings were done based on FIFA Ranking. Nigeria was in pot 2 of which we could have played against any of CIV, Algeria, Ghana, Capeverde, Cameroun, Burkina Faso, Senegal, DRC, Guinea, Egypt, Tunisia, Zambia etc. So, we could nt really have had an easier group. We put our selves in that situation of being in pot2 by the poor string of results achieved in the later days of Keshi.

As for the Law suit. I see it as a mission in futility. Except the NFF wants to contact you as their Lawyer. wink

Our only hope is for FIFA to ban Egypt from international competitions as they are currently going through crisis in their Football Federation. undecided

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:25pm On Mar 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Sorry, I am mixing the comeback with the winning goals.

The crossing system during the comeback, can work as I earlier pointed out due to the aerial threats posed by Lewandowski and Muller.

Do you think Ighalo can offer that?

Which of our players can cross like those guys? When we talk of the Nigerian past team, there is no one today in Bayern, not even Boateng or Lahm, that can cross as Finidi George. Amunike was also a good crosser. Even Celestine Babayaro.

So that would not have been a good option for us in that game.

As I said, from Kaduna to Alexandria, I do not remember us winning an aerial ball. So why should we resort to crosses? That is playing to their strength.

You are talking about after the matches but i lay more emphases on selection prior to the games. That's where the coach got everything wrong.

Anthony Ujah, Victor Moses, Odion Ighalo, Brown Ideye grin and Efe Ambrose can pose aerial threat. But if you think we can't against Egypt then what are going to do at the world Cup when we have to meet the likes of Germany, Italy etcetera?

What are set pieces for?

We have Victor Moses, Onazi, Ezekiel, Simon, Odubanjo who are good at crossing the ball or playing long ball into the box. The point is coach no get game plan.

Mind you, I just saw the replay now and it seems moses shot crossed the goal line.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:29pm On Mar 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

As I pointed out earlier, there was no chance to scout due to time constraints. So we could not expect the coach to carry every untested player to camp. Remember, Coach Siasia had only three days to work with the foreign professionals in camp.

Then, how did he pick some players in obscure leagues?

Are you saying he gambled with his selection.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:42pm On Mar 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Victor Moses, aerial threat from where? How many goals in his whole careers has he called.

You can not call everyone to camp. This is because of we had only three days to work with the professionals.

So if you are analysing who we would have called, then you are neglecting a big part of the challenges the coaches faced. Time constraint.

There was no time to invite 42 foreign professionals to camp and get them ready in two days for the match.

As for Ighalo, how many times do you see him score goals with his head this season. There are people who are gifted with their heads. I do not see Ighalo as one.

With the players we had on ground, crossing was not an option. If your advising that we should have used crosses due to players we did not invite, then I wonder what you are suggesting.

Bros, Victor Moses scored with his head when he was in Chelsea fc. In fact, he scored one with back facing the goal post.

Ighalo scored with his head in the Premier League even if he is not good at that, why did the coach ignored the one that is good with his head.

A coach good will know we are under pressure to win Egypt hence he devices many options.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:49pm On Mar 31, 2016
NRIPRIEST:

We had Taye Taiwo but Stephen Keshi will not because of his personal ego. Juwon Oshaniwa no be am but as at now he is far better than Amuzie. No sentiment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:53pm On Mar 31, 2016
Icon4s:

The groupings were done based on FIFA Ranking. Nigeria was in pot 2 of which we could have played against any of CIV, Algeria, Ghana, Capeverde, Cameroun, Burkina Faso, Senegal, DRC, Guinea, Egypt, Tunisia, Zambia etc. So, we could nt really have had an easier group. We put our selves in that situation of being in pot2 by the poor string of results achieved in the later days of Keshi.

As for the Law suit. I see it as a mission in futility. Except the NFF wants to contact you as their Lawyer. wink

Our only hope is for FIFA to ban Egypt from international competitions as they are currently going through crisis in their Football Federation.
undecided

How soon?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:59pm On Mar 31, 2016
forgiveness:

Bros, Victor Moses scored with his head when he was in Chelsea fc. In fact, he scored one with back facing the goal post.

Ighalo scored with his head in the Premier League even if he is not good at that, why did the coach ignored the one that is good with his head.

A coach good will know we are under pressure to win Egypt hence he devices many options.

He scored one, he scored one, is that aerial threat? If you bring those Egyptian defenders and our midfielders lob the ball from midfield to Moses upfront,

In ten times, how many times will Victor Moses beat the Egyptians to the ball.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:01pm On Mar 31, 2016
forgiveness:

Then, how did he pick some players in obscure leagues?

Are you saying he gambled with his selection.

Coach Siasia took some he was familiar with and the some who played recently for Coach Oliseh.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:05pm On Mar 31, 2016

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:05pm On Mar 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

He scored one, he scored one, is that aerial threat? If you bring those Egyptian defenders and our midfielders lob the ball from midfield to Moses upfront,

In ten times, how many times will Victor Moses beat the Egyptians to the ball.

He scored many times with his head. Add Anthony Ujah and Ambrose in the box then you will know if they can.

Poor selection was the cause of our ouster from the tournament.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:16pm On Mar 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Coach Siasia took some he was familiar with and the some who played recently for Coach Oliseh.

Did Amuzie, Fenando Adi, Aaron Samuel play for Oliseh or is Siasia familiar with these players?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:33pm On Mar 31, 2016
Nigeria: Why I Didn't Bring Iwobi Early Against Pharaohs - Siasia

By Tony Ubani
Coach Samson Siasia has explained reasons why Arsenal wonder boy Alex Iwobi did not get a starting shirt in the all important game against the Pharaohs in Alexandria on Tuesday.

Iwobi whose introduction in the first leg against Egypt brought spark to the Eagles attack in Kaduna endured a lengthy time on the bench in Alexandria before coming in to substitute Umar Aminu after Egypt had scored their damaging goal against the Eagles. But the little time he played, he brought agony to the Egyptian defenders. Many fans wondered why Siasia kept him on the bench when all the team needed was a terror like Iwobi.

"I promised attacking football against Egypt in the return game. But Iwobi was ill. It was painful because I wanted him to even start the game and put pressure on the Egyptians. You cannot risk the health of your player or go against the Doctors. We work hand in hand. I feel pained he did not start but he justified the little time that he played."

There were still questions on why Siasia also benched Simon Moses Daddy, Belgian Club KAA Gent player who also showed promise in the first leg in Kaduna that ended 1-1. "This is not the time for us to be finding faults on who played and who did not play. These boys did well and we should be proud of them. I invited them because we wanted a positive result. I understand how people feel but these boys have shown that Nigeria will soon take over the game in Africa and the world. We should appreciate them", Siasia said.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/2/823536652?-21310:8643:t

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:36pm On Mar 31, 2016
It’s foreign coach or I quit – Pinnick

By Tony Ubani who was in Egypt President of the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, Melvin Amaju Pinnick has threatened to quit his position if Nigeria does not hire a foreign coach for the Super Eagles. Pinnick A distraught Pinnick who watched the Eagles fail again to qualify for the 2017 African Cup of Nations coming up in Gabon promised to hire a foreign manager for the Eagles in two weeks time. ”There is nothing to worry about the payment of salary for the foreign manager. His wages is going to be taken care of by the private sector. We’ve concluded that and it will not cost Government anything”. Pinnick came under severe attacks from Nigerians the first time he muted the idea of a foreign coach after former Manager, Sunday Oliseh quit. The attack from prominent Nigerians and indigenous coaches was much that many condemned Pinnick for trying to distract interim coach Samson Siasia who needed encouragement as he prepared for the first match against the Pharaohs of Egypt. But after watching the Eagles succumb 1-0 to Egypt, a defeat that practically knocked off Nigeria from the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations even with a match to go, Pinnick said that there was no going back on the employment of foreign manager for the Eagles. ”I feel saddened that we could not get a favourable result from here. But, we remain proud of this team. From what we have seen in their display, there is hope for Nigerian football. We’re going to get a foreign manager for the team. And we are going to ensure that Nigeria qualify for the World Cup and do exceedingly well, too. We’ll make them utilize all FIFA windows to play quality friendly matches. But, I must also commend the services of coach Samson Siasia who has shown his capacity in putting up a team we are all proud of. Siasia will go back to his U-23 team and prepare a team that will win Olympic gold for Nigeria. We’ll give him all the necessary tools he needs to achieve that. I commend him”, Pinnick said as the Nigerian delegation headed to the Alexandria airport for the return journey to Nigeria. However, while addressing journalists in Abuja, the NFF President described as unfair calls for him to quit after Nigeria failed to qualify for next year’s Nations Cup in Gabon. ”It’s very unfair for people to ask me to resign. I was elected by the Congress and I’ll see off my mandate. Our Board has won Africa Women’s Championship in Namibia, FIFA U-17 and we’ve qualified for almost all major competitions during this period.” Pinnick also tendered an unreserved apology to Nigerians for their failure to qualify but insisted that there was hope on the team and promised a World Cup ticket as well as making Nigerians to walk with their noses in front at the World Cup and the Rio Olympics. 188 0 1 0

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/foreign-coach-quit-pinnick/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:41pm On Mar 31, 2016
Nigeria: Cuper - Egypt Capitalised On Nigeria's Weaknesses

Egypt's Head Coach, Hector Cuper has revealed his side exploited Nigeria's weaknesses to win 1-0 in Tuesday's Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Alexandria.

Radwan Sobhi's 65th minute goal was enough to earn the Pharaohs maximum points to end the Super Eagles' dream of reaching Gabon 2017.

"I am very happy that we are on the verge of qualification to the African Cup of Nations. I am especially proud of managing this group of players who fought on the pitch for 90 minutes to secure the win for Egypt," Cuper said after the bloody clash with Nigeria on Tuesday night.

"I am happy with my players' fighting spirit. They did their best since they love their national team a lot."

The Egypt manager also highlighted the team's counter-attack plans against the Samson Siasia led team which worked well for the Pharaohs.

"We played very well in the first half. The second half was not as good as the first, but that normally happens when you come against a tough opponent like Nigeria," he continued.

"We threatened the Nigerian goal with many counter-attacks, but were unlucky to finish them. We also could have easily conceded a goal during the match.

"We should all be happy now that we are on the verge of qualification although we know that we made a lot of mistakes that we will work on fixing in the upcoming period" concludes the Argentine coach.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/2/823554132?-21310:8643
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:52pm On Mar 31, 2016
forgiveness:

He scored many times with his head. Add Anthony Ujah and Ambrose in the box then you will know if they can.

Poor selection was the cause of our ouster from the tournament.

You do not even understand what you are saying. When you talked of Bayern coming back with crosses, were they crossing the balls to D. Costa and Alaba?

Most crosses go to the attackers. When we are talking of Coach Siasia opting for using the long thrust to Ighalo, were we talking of long balls to Moses?

Moses does not even have the height to cause trouble with his heads. When we talk of aerial threats of the pass, we talk of Klinsmann, Bierhoff, Agali, Kluivert.

Today one good example is Olivier Giroud. Frightening. That is one true aerial threat. Imagine Moses challenging Giroud for an aerial ball.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:56pm On Mar 31, 2016
Icon4s:

Our only hope is for FIFA to ban Egypt from international competitions as they are currently going through crisis in their Football Federation. undecided
and what qualified the likes of Guinea and Zambia to even be in pot1?

Don't even tell me that yeye FIFA ranking that proves nothing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:58pm On Mar 31, 2016
forgiveness:
It’s foreign coach or I quit – Pinnick

By Tony Ubani who was in Egypt President of the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, Melvin Amaju Pinnick has threatened to quit his position if Nigeria does not hire a foreign coach for the Super Eagles. Pinnick A distraught Pinnick who watched the Eagles fail again to qualify for the 2017 African Cup of Nations coming up in Gabon promised to hire a foreign manager for the Eagles in two weeks time. ”There is nothing to worry about the payment of salary for the foreign manager. His wages is going to be taken care of by the private sector. We’ve concluded that and it will not cost Government anything”. Pinnick came under severe attacks from Nigerians the first time he muted the idea of a foreign coach after former Manager, Sunday Oliseh quit. The attack from prominent Nigerians and indigenous coaches was much that many condemned Pinnick for trying to distract interim coach Samson Siasia who needed encouragement as he prepared for the first match against the Pharaohs of Egypt. But after watching the Eagles succumb 1-0 to Egypt, a defeat that practically knocked off Nigeria from the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations even with a match to go, Pinnick said that there was no going back on the employment of foreign manager for the Eagles. ”I feel saddened that we could not get a favourable result from here. But, we remain proud of this team. From what we have seen in their display, there is hope for Nigerian football. We’re going to get a foreign manager for the team. And we are going to ensure that Nigeria qualify for the World Cup and do exceedingly well, too. We’ll make them utilize all FIFA windows to play quality friendly matches. But, I must also commend the services of coach Samson Siasia who has shown his capacity in putting up a team we are all proud of. Siasia will go back to his U-23 team and prepare a team that will win Olympic gold for Nigeria. We’ll give him all the necessary tools he needs to achieve that. I commend him”, Pinnick said as the Nigerian delegation headed to the Alexandria airport for the return journey to Nigeria. However, while addressing journalists in Abuja, the NFF President described as unfair calls for him to quit after Nigeria failed to qualify for next year’s Nations Cup in Gabon. ”It’s very unfair for people to ask me to resign. I was elected by the Congress and I’ll see off my mandate. Our Board has won Africa Women’s Championship in Namibia, FIFA U-17 and we’ve qualified for almost all major competitions during this period.” Pinnick also tendered an unreserved apology to Nigerians for their failure to qualify but insisted that there was hope on the team and promised a World Cup ticket as well as making Nigerians to walk with their noses in front at the World Cup and the Rio Olympics. 188 0 1 0

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/foreign-coach-quit-pinnick/
see, @thegoodjoe, told y'all not to believe that whole "Siasia's job is safe" bollocks.

Pinnick should still quit though, it's the honorable thing to do. His tenure has been riddled with unnecessary controversy and failure

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:00pm On Mar 31, 2016
Klose for you viewing pleasure.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:09pm On Mar 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

You do not even understand what you are saying. When you talked of Bayern coming back with crosses, were they crossing the balls to D. Costa and Alaba?

Most crosses go to the attackers. When we are talking of Coach Siasia opting for using the long thrust to Ighalo, were we talking of long balls to Moses?

Moses does not even have the height to cause trouble with his heads. When we talk of aerial threats of the pass, we talk of Klinsmann, Bierhoff, Agali, Kluivert.

Today one good example is Olivier Giroud. Frightening. That is one true aerial threat. Imagine Moses challenging Giroud for an aerial ball.

I knew you were going to question the inclusion of Ambrose but you should have understood i meant set pieces. However, Siasia boys rather make a shot pass than crossing the ball into the box and that is when we needed Ambrose, Anthony Ujah and Moses.

Anthony Ujah poses aerial threat too.

Siasia selection was porous.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:09pm On Mar 31, 2016
safarigirl:
see, @thegoodjoe, told y'all not to believe that whole "Siasia's job is safe" bollocks.

Pinnick should still quit though, it's the honorable thing to do. His tenure has been riddled with unnecessary controversy and failure

Pinnick is confused. He does not understand the working of the Super Eagles. It is long since we hired a foreign technical Adviser to handle the qualifiers. It is too expensive.

He should have resigned after his African Guardiola messed him up.

If Amaju Pinnick can source for the funds, they should allow him do what he wants.

I will even recommend attacking and skillful Coach that will suit our new golden generation. Leonardo who brought Kaka and Pato to Italy. He discovered Coutinho for Inter Milan.

As technical director of PSG, he built one of the best teams in Football today. He brought the likes of Verrati, Pastore, Lucas Moura, Cavanni, Lavezzi, Ibrahimovic to PSG.

His philosophy is similar to Telê Santana, the Brazilian Coach who raised one of the best Brazilian teams but unfortunately, Telê never won the World Cup.

Leonardo is without a job after his alteration with a referee after a PSG game. He has coached AC Milan and Inter Milan. He loves creative players and he wore the ten shirt of Brazil. As for me, Brazil's most skillful player in France '98.

Wish Pinnick Goodluck.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15994) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.