Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,488 members, 7,808,805 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3770) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11582987 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3767) (3768) (3769) (3770) (3771) (3772) (3773) ... (16118) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:45pm On May 29, 2018
Oasis007:
My formidable 23-Man List.

Goalkeepers
1) Ezenwa
2) Akpeyi*
3) Uzoho

Defenders
4) Balogun
5) Ekong
6) Omeruo
7) Awaziem
8} Ola Aina
9) Idowu
10) Ebuehi
11) Shehu

Midfielders
12) Mikel
13) Iwobi
14) Onazi
15) Ndidi
16) Ogu
17) Etebo

Forwards
18) Ighalo
19) Musa
20) VicMo
21) Iheanacho
22) Simmy
23) Lokosa*

* would have preferred Ajiboye, but Rohr gonna pick Akpeyi ahead of him based on the League Quality and Experience.

* if there is medically certified hope that Simon will shake off the Injury before the Tournament begins, then I will drop Lokosa for him in the List.
Another good list. I'd do the same (about your decisions)

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 12:46pm On May 29, 2018
goldfish80:

My worry is that this style of play requires experience but we are going to the tournament with the youngest team. Onazi has added alot of pounds, this has greatly affected his mobility. Rohr should put him on special training if he insists Onazi must play.

Onazi of 2014 isn't the same again and like i said it not only onazi but some of other players ,
i don't know the diet they're on but something has to be be done because they were burned out yesterday and if your team get tired easily then i don't think they can absorb pressure from a technical team.

They should work on their fitness and diet, if they can't hold lot of Possession.
Iwobi himself can't perform if the team is not holding lot of possession he would get tired easily that why I prefer him to always come in as a Sub.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:48pm On May 29, 2018
tbaba1234:
This is when ANS said:
Before this so called friendly, I was vocal about the uselessness of it. I feared they might be some injuries. Then I saw the pitch and my scare doubled. Freshly lawned grass for a team worth almost 300milla? Pinnick and Wike obviously did this for the whatever reason that doesn't seem good.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:50pm On May 29, 2018
Icon4s:

.....fashion a chance for himself out of nothing. Yet he has not scored since after the first leg against Cameroon.
Oya Count how many games he's played since Cameroon and tell me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:51pm On May 29, 2018
Onyekuru speaks:

''I was fit, but I did not play. So I'm not staying with Anderlecht,'' said Onyekuru to Het Laatste Nieuws.

''He (Vanhaezebrouck ) has not spoken to me for weeks. I know what he said about me.

''Thanks to the media, I had to learn that I was not ready, so to speak, I have worked very hard in the last few months to come back. This was not enough for some.''

''Anderlecht knew I needed the World Cup to get a work permit to play in England, and by not making me play, the chances of going to Russia were nil, and so I could not join the Premier League, that may be how Anderlecht hopes to keep me for another year, a ridiculous reasoning: I can go anywhere,'' he added.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 12:57pm On May 29, 2018
Joebie:
Onyekuru speaks:

''I was fit, but I did not play. So I'm not staying with Anderlecht,'' said Onyekuru to Het Laatste Nieuws.

''He (Vanhaezebrouck ) has not spoken to me for weeks. I know what he said about me.

''Thanks to the media, I had to learn that I was not ready, so to speak, I have worked very hard in the last few months to come back. This was not enough for some.''

''Anderlecht knew I needed the World Cup to get a work permit to play in England, and by not making me play, the chances of going to Russia were nil, and so I could not join the Premier League, that may be how Anderlecht hopes to keep me for another year, a ridiculous reasoning: I can go anywhere,'' he added.

So Onyekuru wanna use the Eagles as a Platform to get Work Permit?! His first Priority is making it to Russia simply to get a Chance to play in the EPL?!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:57pm On May 29, 2018
I agree!

daveP:
Before this so called friendly, I was vocal about the uselessness of it. I feared they might be some injuries. Then I saw the pitch anddmy scare doubled. freshly leaned grass for a team worth almost 300milla? Pinnick and Wike obviously did this for the whatever reason that doesn't seem good.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:57pm On May 29, 2018
Eleniyan15:

Onazi of 2014 isn't the same again and like i said it not only onazi but some of other players ,
i don't know the diet they're on but something has to be be done because they were burned out yesterday and if your team get tired easily then i don't think they can absorb pressure from a technical team.

They should work on their fitness and diet, if they can't hold lot of Possession.
Iwobi himself can't perform if the team is not holding lot of possession he would get tired easily that why I prefer him to always come in as a Sub.
Its just a bloody friendly for Christ's sake!!!! Cut this team some slack. They will be fine. Go and watch our build up to France 98. If it was that era now this site for don burn down.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:01pm On May 29, 2018
kennysville:

Thats a fine ajebo that knows that "Fìrìgbòn kò sí ilèkùn. Eni tó bá ní kókóró ló n'wolé."

Translation: Being stout doesnt mean u are able to open the door. Its only the one with the key that gets in!

Morale: wisdom is better than strength
We hear u, elder
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:02pm On May 29, 2018
Martz101:

the boy is a strong lad, i still retain the fear that holland will be watching him...i just hope he goes to the worldcup. sehu in the right back na suicide
any news about his injury?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 1:03pm On May 29, 2018
Will Rohr be obligated to pick at least one NPFL player just to not pass the wrong message to the world?

Lokosa and Ajiboye??

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 1:06pm On May 29, 2018
Joebie:
I agree!

Despite the bad pitch, I noticed that Joel was almost everywhere, pressing, but not passing. He increased the intensity in the half of the Congolese. The GWG is known for taping out due to weakness or fatigue close to the 60-70minute.

We would need a player like Obi to do just that so that more tactical opponents don't read our body language on the pitch and punish us for it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 1:09pm On May 29, 2018
daveP:
Will Rohr be obligated to pick at least one NPFL player just to not pass the wrong message to the world?

Lokoja and Ajiboye??

EZenwa is going to the world cup

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:09pm On May 29, 2018
Watching the CAM vs NGR game in Uyo. Moses is gold. With him and Mikel in the team we are cohesive.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 1:11pm On May 29, 2018
Oasis007:

So Onyekuru wanna use the Eagles as a Platform to get Work Permit?! His first Priority is making it to Russia simply to get a Chance to play in the EPL?!

There's nothing wrong in having personal targets. He will need club football to earn his daily bread.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 1:12pm On May 29, 2018
Truidstar:
Its just a bloody friendly for Christ's sake!!!! Cut this team some slack. They will be fine. Go and watch our build up to France 98. If it was that era now this site for don burn down.

No one is saying SE is a bad team, i Personally have High Hope the team would make us proud but if we see something that not going well in the team, we should air our views!!!

Chikena
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 1:12pm On May 29, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
I don't see Rohr picking up to 7 midfielders. Because they're mostly DMs

BTW, cant some of the DMs play CD?

If we have like 1 or 2 that can play CD if need be, then we should take fewer CBs.

Another option: Do we have CBs that can play DM?

Shehu is DM but can play RB. I would want us to have more attacking minded players than defence becaude goals win games and not defending.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 1:14pm On May 29, 2018
daveP:
Despite the bad pitch, I noticed that Joel was almost everywhere, pressing, but not passing. He increased the intensity in the half of the Congolese. The GWG is known for taping out due to weakness or fatigue close to the 60-70minute.

We would need a player like Obi to do just that so that more tactical opponents don't read our body language on the pitch and punish us for it.

That why rohr keep using him cheesy yesterday he was putting pressure on those Congolese player forcing them to make errors and unnecessary tackles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:15pm On May 29, 2018
goldfish80:

With the available players, Rohr can can only hope to play a pragmatic style of football like Simione's Athletico. The raft of defensive midfielders makes it impossible to impose a possession style of football on this team.
I expect to see them defend deep and get as quickly as they can to the opposition's box with long balls and quick combinations. The method will need hard runners on the wings and a striker with good hold up play. Creating chances from dead balls will also be key.
Too many DMs in the team

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:16pm On May 29, 2018
Mickael2:

Yeah, like that has helped Oshimen get a better club or even get proper minutes in a relegation threatened club. Most times we wear glasses blinded by sentiments when we start analysing these our young players, if you are not good enough to make it into a top club then you do not deserve to be given a chance. Iheanacho made it into Man City's team without any external help, only a fool would say he didn't eventually merit his call up. The older Nwakali too was getting great reviews from coaches everywhere without getting called up, no national team influence there. For the junior Nwakali to still need the national team as a stepping stone then maybe we should look closer.

If Masch wakes up to realise that he will be playing against Nwakali as the 10 then trust me he would have a nice, happy nap on that match day and even if he wakes up 10minutes to the game he would still pocket him

Your just yarning long story. It was an age grade competition from our national team that landed Osimhen and Iheanacho in clubs like Manchester City and Wolfsburg. That is still a step from us to push our players. Rohr has discussed with Osimhen's coach and Iheanacho's coach to improve their chances in their club.

Thank God Rohr does not think with respect of folding arms and waiting for clubs to do it all.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 1:17pm On May 29, 2018
Eleniyan15:

I want to believe they have a chiropractor and strength/conditioning coach, a certain French man, Roy******. He is responsible to knock the team into shape, physically. Onazi has really regressed, truth be told.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 1:18pm On May 29, 2018
Martz101:

i don't understand Nigerians i swear, the set of players in camp is the best we can get fairly. winning teams improvise, i still see nothing wrong playing iwobi as a number 10. then problem with you guys is expecting him to play just the same way Mikel plays.

in 1994 siasia or mutiu adepoju plays instead of okocha...they ain't thesame, a coach can change there tactics to covr up for some players absent.

They keeper position was our problem, Rohr and the crew faced the problem and i can see there hardwork paying off.

And please which Alfa or prophet told you guys mikel will be injured in the tournerment

I want to believe you are quoting the wrong person! Why? Because I never spoke about Iwobi at all. I was talking about Etebo. What is amusing right now is the bolded.
If in a champions league final, they found means of taking out MoSalah, whats stopping opponents from doing the same. Or do you think they are not observing? Dont you feel they are seeing much more than we do, studying our games. Dont you think they know how valuable Mikel is to our present team?

A little bit of foresight will help as over dependence on Mikel is what is costing us right now.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:18pm On May 29, 2018
Oasis007:

If we have one or our players like Onyekuru doing well and playing in the EPL regularly, he would become an asset in our team. Yet some believe the National team has no role to play in propelling our players.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 1:20pm On May 29, 2018
Joebie:
Watching the CAM vs NGR game in Uyo. Moses is gold. With him and Mikel in the team we are cohesive.

Always looking at one past game to douse d tension of a previous match grin grin,b4 it was argies, now na Cameroon. I hope we knw dt dis two guys Mikel and moses can also av deir off days on pitch cos dey b human too cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Peter4naz(m): 1:24pm On May 29, 2018
Nice one. This is the Nigeria vs Dr congo Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdA_sA6a6NQ
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 1:24pm On May 29, 2018
Mujtahida:

Too many DMs in the team

ROhr went for big name players, who unfortunately are not creatives. The creative ones neglected play in lesser fancied teams and countries. He will just have to fashion out a system to suit what he has.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:24pm On May 29, 2018
Joebie:
Which of the Moses? If it is Vicmo he was the one that destroyed Cameroun, with S. Moses adding his own blows. That was our best match of the WCQ.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 1:24pm On May 29, 2018
My preferred 23

Ezenwa - To me, he's the most confident of the 3 but with arial issues
Uzoho - For being loved by Rohr
Akpeyi - Experienced and good but shaky due to psychological issues.

Troosk
Balogun
Shehu
Echiejile
Ebuehi
Idowu
Omeruo
Eze - Rohr loves tall lads and this guy can be an ariel threat during setpieces if groomed well.

Mikel
Onazi
Ndidi
Ogu
Etebo
Obi

Moses
Ighalo
Musa
Iheanacho
Simy
Iwobi

Lakosa should stand by incase something happens before kickoff.
Aina should also standby incase (Rb or Lb)
Agu also can replace obi incase.
Awaziem to stand by for Ezeh.. (looks unfit)
Ajiboye not going anywhere, he was only picked to satisfy some poeple.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:31pm On May 29, 2018
goldfish80:

ROhr went for big name players, who unfortunately are not creatives. The creative ones neglected play in lesser fancied teams and countries. He will just have to fashion out a system to suit what he has.
No big names there na. Abi Agu, Ogu, Agbo, Onazi, Etebo are now big names? Only Ndidi and Joel have big names.

This Nwakali dey do una fantasy something ooo.

But I really don't know why we have so many DM in the team.

It should have been 3 creative players and 3 destructive players.

Once Mikel is out we are likely out. Somebody said here that our WC will go as far as Mikel can go.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 1:36pm On May 29, 2018
safarigirl:
what is Martins? Injured Martins? Is that who Rohr should have given a chance?

Are you serious? Can you say that if Martins was fit, Rohr wouldn't have called him up same way he called up Simy and Lokosa as reward for good performance?

You too dey yarn opata
SAVAGE.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 1:36pm On May 29, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
I think Iwobi is only good for the bench, as far as I'm concerned The guy never mature reach.
Our midfield is bereft of technics and creativity that is why i am endorsing a trio of Ndidi Iwobi and Mikel (aka N.I.M) with Mikel and Ndidi playing behind Iwobi. Iwobi has shown to be more lethal and powerfully clinical when played as an AMF.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lorazepam(f): 1:37pm On May 29, 2018
Peter4naz:
Nice one. This is the Nigeria vs Dr congo Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdA_sA6a6NQ
The video quality chei cry

(1) (2) (3) ... (3767) (3768) (3769) (3770) (3771) (3772) (3773) ... (16118) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: comodo, KpagoGIN(m), Ajd19, Philosopher1979, Samueltemi337(m), Lyster360, HoraCanada(m), TheSuperNerd(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.