Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:57 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4950) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11577749 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4947) (4948) (4949) (4950) (4951) (4952) (4953) ... (16117) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 12:59pm On Oct 17, 2018
x
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 1:00pm On Oct 17, 2018
Truly failure is an orphan, less than 30 pages ago Iggy was Ivan the Terrible, but now Arthur the knight

This life grin

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:02pm On Oct 17, 2018
Eseose9:

Yeah It went to far especially on his wife's page on Instagram.Fans were calling her all sorts of names one even called her prostitute that she has nothing to offer him,she used juju on him.You can Imagine?

I think they should know by now....as a public figure in these country.... insults and abuses will just come...

no public figure in nigeria will deny this.
one just need to have a shock absolver.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:02pm On Oct 17, 2018
And look at this pic below.... Look at the Joy on Nacho's face for Ighalo's Hattrick goal. Gosh!!! This is what I mean by a team. This is a lad who wants to play so bad but puts the Joy and success of the team first before personal interests.

I am not just happy Ighalo is truly back as he showed already in Uyo with that Hattrick but I am smiling looking at his goals stats in the GWG again. It is no longer depressing. It now reads 10 goals and 2 assists in 25 appearances

The Kung Fu Master have finally executed his Shadow kicks and Snake-in-the-monkey shadow techniques and translated them into goals. And we hope this continues as this will allow youngsters like Nacho and Success continue to grow into their future roles as the team's attacking arrowheads. But for now, they play back up to the main striker, Iggy and happily so.

This is what we want for the team. Positive results and not barrenness.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:11pm On Oct 17, 2018
Goke7:

If we want foreign coaches, why do we always go for carpenter foreign coaches who have not achieved anything major before they coach the eagles. We keep killing the Eagles brand with these legbere foreign coaches.
we can't afford the top coaches
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:12pm On Oct 17, 2018
Goke7:

If we want foreign coaches, why do we always go for carpenter foreign coaches who have not achieved anything major before they coach the eagles. We keep killing the Eagles brand with these legbere foreign coaches.
we can't afford the top coaches, besides Rhorh have not been bad if I should rate him so far I'll give him 7/10

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:14pm On Oct 17, 2018
Humility017:

that' was really bad.
threatening his wife and kids.
football in nigeria is like a religion everyone belongs to...
I must sincerely applaud the German coach...whose conservatism paid off.
He gave him Apple time to redeem himself and the dude grabbed it with both hands.

Some of the people constantly insulting Rohr and calling him "stiff neck", "white onigbinde", and even "slowpoke" are the ones now hailing Ighalo and trying to make it an Iggy vs Nacho talk when both players now boast decent goal scoring stats and goals involvement for the team and are both as important as the other. But they won't hail the "white stiff necked Onigbinde" for sticking with him despite the negative reactions from Nigerians on seeing his name again on the team list for Seychelles. Hypocrites! Lol

I also got issues with Rohr as regards the AM ish and especially as he almost ruined our game yesterday with his slow decisions but on the overall, Rohr is getting the job done and I only hope he can get better and keep doing well.

On the threats to Ighalo... Honestly, that was totally sick. And I mean gravely sick of those lots. Okay, you can insult the man all you like okay, but to threaten his wife and kids?!!! What sort of assholic idiots do we even have in Nigeria? We just take things for granted. This was how Mikel was playing that Argentina game while his father was in kidnappers' custody and no one bloody knew.... Most Nigerians are truly unappreciative and bunch of foul talking neanderthals. Sometimes I wonder if the word "human" applies to them.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EmmGee: 1:19pm On Oct 17, 2018
forgiveness:

SUPERB!: How Super Eagles Rated Vs Libya In Battle Of Sfax

7 October 16, 2018 11:30 pm
SUPERB!: How Super Eagles Rated Vs Libya In Battle Of Sfax

Completesportsnigeria.com’s ADEBOYE AMOSU appraises the performance of the Super Eagles, player-by-player, in their 3-2 win against the Mediterranean Knights of Libya – a reverse fixture in the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers at Taieb Mhiri Stadium, Sfax on Tuesday October 16, 2018.

FRANCIS UZOHO: 7/10

EXPOSED!! The secret asian tonic that will regrow your hair
Looked shaky at times, but made a number of vital saves to help the Super Eagles to a third consecutive win in the qualifiers.

Want more Online SALES? apply the *Social Pipeline Marketing Strategy* and watch your account balance skyrocket. Click Here!!
OLA AINA: 7/10

Failed to track Zeibeiea for Libya first goal of the game.
Otherwise. it was a good performance from the versatile fullback.

Ad
WILLIAM TROOST-EKONG: 7/10

Slipped early on in the game which nearly resulted in a goal for the Libyans but recovered well to post an above average showing.

LEON BALOGUN: 7/0

Strong as ever, Leon Balogun stood up to the threat of the Libyans especially in the second half. The Brighton & Hove Albion defender also showed his ball playing ability in the game.

JAMILU COLLINS: 6/10

The SC Paderborn left-back was put under intense pressure by the Libyans in the second half but proved equal to the task.

WILFRED NDIDI: 7/10

Ndidi picked up a silly yellow card in the closing stages of the game which effectively rules him out of Super Eagles next game against South Africa. However, the Leicester City man was an influential figure in the midfield for the Super Eagles.

OGHENEKARO ETEBO: 6/10

He was lively in the early parts of the game but soon fizzle out and misplaced a couple of simple passes. Made way for John Ogu 15 minutes from time.

ALEX IWOBI: 6/10

Had a hand in Nigeria’s first goal scored by Odion Ighalo, but not as effective as he was in the previous game in Uyo.

AHMED MUSA: 8/10

Provided two assists and scored the Super Eagles second goal in the game. The stand-in captain no doubt led by example in what was a lively performance.

SAMUEL KALU: 6/10

Failed to replicate his performance from the first leg and was duly substituted 10 minutes from time by Henry Onyekuru.

ODION IGHALO: 9/10

Another man -of- the match display from the forward who scored twice in the game. He also provided the assist for Ahmed Musa’s second goal.

SUBSTITUTES

JOHN OGU: 4/10
Didn’t infuence the game much following his introduction for Oghenekaro Etebo 15 minutes from time. He gave the ball away late on which nearly resulted in a goal for the Libyans.

HENRY ONYEKURU: 5/10
Full of life and showed glimpses of his ability after he took the place of Samuel Kalu in the 80th minute.

SEMI AJAYI
Took the place of Alex Iwobi late on

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/superb-how-super-eagles-rated-vs-libya-in-battle-of-sfax/
who wrote this trash
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:19pm On Oct 17, 2018
charlesemeka85:
oga una wey dey UK make una try reach out to philip Billing na abeg

I am sorry it's not difficult to speak to him.

But to what purpose, it's for The NFF to commit to a player not the player to beg to be selected.

Your club performance should speak up for you but that's not how NFF operates.

Na man deh propose naw no be woman.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:19pm On Oct 17, 2018
BascoVanVeli:
There is absolutely no excuse for our post wc reactions towards Ighalo. As fans our job is to support. Even if Rohr didn't give him the chance what is there in saying he was doing well at his club? We were ready to leave him for dead and that is very sad.

Agreed without reservation

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 1:22pm On Oct 17, 2018
forgiveness:

Bryan is better than Collins.

Rubbish!
Idowu that never delivered a single cross from his flank in all the games he's played for us. Idowu that contributes little offensively.

Our left wing has been quite lively in the last two games Collins has played for us.. We now have a proper left back. Collins is here to stay whether U like it or not !

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:25pm On Oct 17, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Reading back on the comments here in the aftermath of our win over Libya in Tunisia, I think I am glad I missed the ruckus on here. But I definitely didn't miss the game.

Ighalo is back. He was back already in Uyo but he used the latest game in Tunisia to show his Hattrick is no flash in the pan. He is back and he is good to go as our number 9 going forward ahead of Afcon 2019. But it is still good to have an Isaac Success pushing him competitively and an Iheanacho providing options in our attack dept either in the CF or SS roles. We are loaded and that is my happiness. Gosh, the only thing I miss in not being around on here for the second leg was the way I would have celebrated that Iggy scoop for the winning goal... Ighalo rolled back his Watford days in that third goal by perfectly executing the "Iggy scoop" taking out two players in the process... Sending them to Alabama. Lol

He did awesome and was truly a hero.

And for those Nigerians especially on Instagram who went as far as threatening Ighalo's wife and kids... Yes! Even his kids were threatened. I got two words for them...

"Sick" and "Lobotomy"

They are seriously sick people who are in serious need of a super lobotomy.
There is a line man must not cross even in criticisms. Shallow Nigerians we have scattered all over. Reason why I don't relate with the low mediocre mentality of majority of Nigerians. Rubbish.

One word for you.

Camelion

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:31pm On Oct 17, 2018
Tanzania on track to qualifying for 2019 AFCON says Amuneke

admin

scorenigeria.com.ng | 2018-10-17T08:47:12+00:00

Tanzania are on course to qualifying for the AFCON since 1980, according to their Nigerian coach Emmanuel Amuneke.

The Taifa Stars are now second in their qualifying group after they beat Cape Verde 2-0 at home on Tuesday just days after they lost 3-0 to the same team.

They are now second with five points, while Uganda top the standings on 10 points.

“We want to qualify for the AFCON and we are on track,” Amuneke told SCORENigeria after he guided Tanzania to their first win of the qualifying series.

“We will continue to work hard and remain focused.”

The coach singled out captain Mbwana Samatta for special praise after the Genk star scored a goal and assisted for another.

“The boys put up an extraordinary effort most especially my captain. He was truly our leader on the pitch,” he remarked.

“The team fought from start to finish and he showed his quality.”

By Kola Daniel

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 1:34pm On Oct 17, 2018
elyte89:

Good talk bro...main reason y I wonder y some peeps here go emotional abt odas ppu opinion, to d extent say some fit dey keep.malice over whom dey av never interacted with in real life grin grin grin

Oga,I hope u aren't trying to form a saint here??

I.still remember ur attack on Musa before the world cup. You called him a myopic player who was getting into the team on the basis of federal character, didn't you??

Have u written an apology to Musa? if.not,u have no right to mock Ighalo critics...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 1:34pm On Oct 17, 2018
TheLoneCitizen:
The biggest improvement in this team, is that they have the most important aspect in football, and that is goals.

3+ goals in consecutive games. Only if they were organized.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:36pm On Oct 17, 2018
Danielnino00:

Rubbish!
Idowu that never delivered a single cross from his flank in all the games he's played for us. Idowu that contributes little offensively.

Our left wing has been quite lively in the last two games Collins has played for us.. We now have a proper left back. Collins is here to stay whether U like it or not !

To you. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:38pm On Oct 17, 2018
Danielnino00:

Rubbish!

I am not against Collins but what telling cross has he made? What contributions offensively apart from shooting a ball he should have passed? Nobody has given me any valid reasons why a guy who starts at left fullback in the champions league can't play for Nigeria in the same position

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:42pm On Oct 17, 2018
Some thoughts on #LBYNGA

Wilfred Ndidi is hardly ever criticised but his passing was oftentimes atrocious yesterday and he gifted away possession on a few occasions. He still put in a solid shift in midfield but his defense screening at times left much to be desired. He obviously tired out and should have been subbed off. He or Etebo should have been subbed off at the 65-70mins mark. Rohr left it too late and that was annoying.
Ndidi won't play against SA and I think that may become a blessing in disguise as Ogu can offer something too. But by then, Mikel and Onazi will also be in the mix for selection alongside Etebo.

Iwobi is a beautiful AM option in terms of creativity and his eagle eyes vision (that first goal was beautifully all down to Iwobi picking out Musa) but I gotta confess he is no orchestrator "JUST YET". Mikel is still the boss when it comes to dictating the tempo of play. Iwobi still gotta grow into that ability to dictate plays.... How to increase the pace of the game and how to slow it down just the way Mikel knows how to.
This is why I insist we try as much possible to bring in high-potential CAM options like Ebere Eze, Ovie Ejaria and keep our grooming eyes on Kelechi Nwakali (who really must improve his attitude to work and stop talking too much on Instagram). These guys have the potentials to not only create but also orchestrate a game from the AM and CM roles.

NB: Ebere Eze just few hours ago, liked a post of a Super Eagles one touch training exercise posted on Ndidi's Twitter handle. That lad's heart is still with us. I hope we don't miss out on him in the end.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:46pm On Oct 17, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

I am not against Collins but what telling cross has he made? What contributions offensively apart from shooting a ball he should have passed? Nobody has given me any valid reasons why a guy who starts at left fullback in the champions league can't play for Nigeria in the same position

There were limited options, his best option was to shoot.. Ighalo was the only one in the box and he was not really in a good position.

I think Collins has done a competent job.

I think Collins is better than Ikouwem defensively.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:46pm On Oct 17, 2018
komekn:

One word for you.

Camelion

I have never even cared about the opinion of a proven liar, truth bender and facts-twister and I won't do so even now... You must be among those sick people to even think I would stoop so low to insult Ighalo or his family. I am not like you man... You who label people wastemen. That is the difference between guys like me and big-ass pretenders like you.

So shift to one cliff Biko.... **Clicks**

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Triniti(m): 1:47pm On Oct 17, 2018
Ighalo deserves all the criticism he got, he should thank the coach for sticking with him. Now he’s back to scoring and I think every reasonable fan should commend him, all over the world, fans ridicule players when they don’t perform to expectations, you guys should stop attacking those that were not pro Ighalo during those moments of waste, drought and unproductive Hold-Up-Play

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:51pm On Oct 17, 2018
Komekn I asked you, how do you compare Aina to Odubajo?

komekn:

I am sorry it's not difficult to speak to him.

But to what purpose, it's for The NFF to commit to a player not the player to beg to be selected.

Your club performance should speak up for you but that's not how NFF operates.

Na man deh propose naw no be woman.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 1:53pm On Oct 17, 2018
Triniti:
Ighalo deserves all the criticism he got, he should thank the coach for sticking with him. Now he’s back to scoring and I think every reasonable fan should commend him, all over the world, fans ridicule players when they don’t perform to expectations, you guys should stop attacking those that were not pro Ighalo during those moments of waste, drought and unproductive Hold-Up-Play

Agreed he deserved the criticism, but certainly not death threats on his family... Nobody does .. Though I don't think anybody on thus thread would have stooped so low to send threats to his family..It must have come from those social media followers of his..

Ighalo is quite lucky though.. Another coach would have discarded him after the world cup but Rohr didn't...
I imagine how much threat Yakubu received for his miss against south Korea .. His club form afterward wasn't even enough to convince Nigerians...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 1:55pm On Oct 17, 2018
Danielnino00:

I.still remember ur attack on Musa before the world cup. You called him a myopic player who was getting into the team on the basis of federal character, didn't you??

Have u written an apology to Musa? if.not,u have no right to mock Ighalo critics...

No.....I can attack any player and I will still...but dt won't make me go emotional abt oda person tot
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:56pm On Oct 17, 2018
Ighalo had a point to prove regardless of what he says. As long as Rohr had a point to prove, Ighalo also did. And they have both proved a point — I hope it lasts.

Triniti:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:58pm On Oct 17, 2018
Danielnino00:

Don't mind Elyte... I remember he and Chriskels labelled Musa our most brainless player and winger all those times and they think we will forget it. Lol... The internet never forgets. We just choose to move past things and let some sleeping dogs lie... wink

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:58pm On Oct 17, 2018
How do you solve a problem like “stiff-neck”? When to know it’s actually a solution not a problem?
Danielnino00:

Agreed he deserved the criticism, but certainly not death threats on his family... Nobody does .. Though I don't think anybody on thus thread would have stooped so low to send threats to his family..It must have come from those social media followers of his..

Ighalo is quite lucky though.. Another coach would have discarded him after the world cup but Rohr didn't...
I imagine how much threat Yakubu received for his miss against south Korea .. His club form afterward wasn't even enough to convince Nigerians...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:00pm On Oct 17, 2018
Guy I didn’t even have time to look at my phone. Was super occupied until that moment.
Taliban:

Use your phone and data now. Abi una no charge your phone.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by superbloke(m): 2:01pm On Oct 17, 2018
komekn:

One word for you.

Camelion
Someone criticizes Ighalo for his poor run of form in GWG, you tag him hater.

Ighalo puts in a great performance and scores goals, you shout “where are the haters”

The “hater” praises Ighalo for his great games and improved form, you call him chameleon.

What exactly do you want? For people to grovel at your feet and name you the one that must not be questioned? It shows how emotional, rather than analytical as they'd like us to believe, people on this thread can be. A lot of people are more concerned about being right and able to say “I told you so” than seeing the team progress even if it is in a way different from how we want.

Ofcourse this goes both ways (both “camps”).

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 2:04pm On Oct 17, 2018
Joebie:
How do you solve a problem like “stiff-neck”? When to know it’s actually a solution not a problem?

Oga,d way u reply to my mention.dy confuse me at times o... grin .. But I get this one...

Rohr's stiff-neckness finally paid off... grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:06pm On Oct 17, 2018
You really never can tell but I just want to believe such actions was not undertaken by anyone here.

Besides, it was on Instagram the threats were predominantly made. And I am not even on Instagram but I know some of what happens on Instagram thanks to a bypass I know.

And I really think the person that should be getting the most credits here is GERNOT ROHR. If he had not stuck to Iggy, he would not have been given the time to translate his Kung Fu form and confidence to the GWG. Ighalo repaid Rohr's confidence... But Rohr gets all the credits. The decision to stick to a once fruitless striker in the GWG and using his China form as the perfect excuse to justify his decisions paid off handsomely and the team is better served for such decision. On this I score Rohr 10/10.

Danielnino00:

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KpagoGIN(m): 2:06pm On Oct 17, 2018
superbloke:

Someone criticizes Ighalo for his poor run of form in GWG, you tag him hater.

Ighalo puts in a great performance and scores goals, you shout “where are the haters”

The “hater” praises Ighalo for his great games and improved form, you call him chameleon.

What exactly do you want? For people to grovel at your feet and name you the one that must not be questioned? It shows how emotional, rather than analytical as they'd like us to believe, people on this thread can be. A lot of people are more concerned about being right and able to say “I told you so” than seeing the team progress even if it is in a way different from how we want.

Ofcourse this goes both ways (both “camps”).
On point....Enough Said.

(1) (2) (3) ... (4947) (4948) (4949) (4950) (4951) (4952) (4953) ... (16117) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: humility33(m), dkay51(m), Marjoribanks, ThanosKilla(m), TheSuperNerd(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.