Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,117 members, 7,807,368 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:49 PM

Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) (40079 Views)

Traveling In The Schengen Area? Always Have Your Passport!-a Personal Experience /  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos / lessons from the lawmakers sex scandal and A personal experience! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by sinisters(m): 11:51pm On Mar 31, 2016
AbuMaryam1:
Op tell them not to visit area eleven Gimbiya street.
That place is sane a little now....

3 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Curiouscat: 12:02am On Apr 01, 2016
To whom it may concern. I am also in need of accommodation somewhere close to town. I am ready to pay as long as the money wont be above 150k,even if it is a BQ. Note: I want somewhere close and easily accessible enough to wuse zone 4. Help a brother in need,salary wont be dropping until after 3 months, so no much money to waste on transport from far place. Thanks in advance.
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Nobody: 12:09am On Apr 01, 2016
xmileeasy:
If you have work for awhile you can save to rent an apartment in some areas with cheaper accommodation. You can start small. You have Gudu, Durumi, Apo, Duste Alhaji, Bwari, Lugbe, Mpape etc

In terms of transportation learn how to enter along, no form big boy or girl by taking drop. You can always get cab going along most routes, ask questions if confuse and also some distance are walk able.
you must be joking, APO cheap?? Guy a room self-contained in APO is 600k how is that cheap.

2 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Jombojombo(m): 12:17am On Apr 01, 2016
isacolukay:

Brother, fake life is the order of the day here. You see folks who have nothing but the clothes they put on do stuffs like they are Osinbajo's firstborn.

My oga wanted me to help collect something from his house sometimes ago, only for him to give me a hotel address. I was shocked. I thought maybe he was just chilling there for the time being. Some weeks later, we were muzzing on expensive wine at a high brow lounge (at his expense though) when I subtly asked him. He told me he doesn't have a house! How much my oga dey collect wey him dey sleep for hotel?!!!! To add insult to injury, he doesn't have a car and whenever he is going to present a proposal, he won't even be humble enough to take a cab, he will rent an exotic car, rent a driver and dress in expensive suits that even our oga at the top can not wear.
Some months later, he was sacked and he had to squat at my humble abode for 2 months in Gwagwalada before relocating to Benue state.
Imagine! What could be more fake?

Pls how much does transport frm gwagwalada to city centre cost; not cab o, I mean molue along the road
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by xmileeasy: 12:18am On Apr 01, 2016
googlepikin:
you must be joking, APO cheap?? Guy a room self-contained in APO is 600k how is that cheap.
It depends where you choose to stay at Apo. I stay presently at APO-DUTSE and a room self contain is within the range of 150-300. Apo resettlement is also fair. It all depends on what you want. There's no harm starting small as a fresher in Abuja till you get your footing around.
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by xmileeasy: 12:20am On Apr 01, 2016
Jombojombo:

Pls how much does transport frm gwagwalada to city centre cost; not cab o, I mean molue along the road
Abuja mass transit cost 200 naira from gwagwalada to the Berger
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by narrowpathy(m): 12:21am On Apr 01, 2016
Jombojombo:

About 200 naira
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Emeskhalifa(m): 12:21am On Apr 01, 2016
xmileeasy:
If you have work for awhile you can save to rent an apartment in some areas with cheaper accommodation. You can start small. You have Gudu, Durumi, Apo, Duste Alhaji, Bwari, Lugbe, Mpape etc

In terms of transportation learn how to enter along, no form big boy or girl by taking drop. You can always get cab going along most routes, ask questions if confuse and also some distance are walk able.

choi dhis guy really sabi cut cloth according to ur size ooooo
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by xmileeasy: 12:24am On Apr 01, 2016
Emeskhalifa:

choi dhis guy really sabi cut cloth according to ur size ooooo
Hehehe, I grew up in Abuja na. I trek from Karmo to Jabi during my primary school days, did same for secondary school. I don't leave a fake life in Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Nobody: 12:25am On Apr 01, 2016
xmileeasy:

It depends where you choose to stay at Apo. I stay presently at APO-DUTSE and a room self contain is within the range of 150-300. Apo resettlement is also fair. It all depends on what you want. There's no harm starting small as a fresher in Abuja till you get your footing around.
am talking about APO NEPA junction area
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Jombojombo(m): 12:28am On Apr 01, 2016
xmileeasy:

Abuja mass transit cost 200 naira from gwagwalada to the Berger

Thanks so much!

Is the mass transit always available or one have to wait for it? And is it those long luxurious buses??
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by xmileeasy: 12:29am On Apr 01, 2016
googlepikin:
am talking about APO NEPA junction area
I know where you are talking about sir. I stay just after Amina Court and there are some self contain recently developed around where I stay.
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by xmileeasy: 12:31am On Apr 01, 2016
Jombojombo:

Thanks so much!

Is the mass transit always available or one have to wait for it? And is it those long luxurious buses??
It's always available to and fro. Yes, it's those long buses. My problem with them is that there's usually plenty stop at different bus stop
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Jombojombo(m): 12:43am On Apr 01, 2016
xmileeasy:

It's always available to and fro. Yes, it's those long buses. My problem with them is that there's usually plenty stop at different bus stop

Ok... na to come out early be the thing na grin

Thanks for the infor
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by xmileeasy: 12:47am On Apr 01, 2016
Jombojombo:

Ok... na to come out early be the thing na grin

Thanks for the infor
Na so o, you are welcome sir
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by nonix22(m): 12:49am On Apr 01, 2016
Curiouscat:
To whom it may concern. I am also in need of accommodation somewhere close to town. I am ready to pay as long as the money wont be above 150k,even if it is a BQ. Note: I want somewhere close and easily accessible enough to wuse zone 4. Help a brother in need,salary wont be dropping until after 3 months, so no much money to waste on transport from far place. Thanks in advance.

na for nyanya you go see that type o. no place close to wuse zone 4 will offer you at that price unless the Landlord just wants to give it out to prevent it being empty for aparticular time.

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by AreaFada2: 12:50am On Apr 01, 2016
Ok, cool
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by AreaFada2: 12:53am On Apr 01, 2016
law001:

My guess is either your family is in Abuja or you are very comfortable here if not, you will see the motivation immediately your host you are squatting with start giving you attitude.

My advice, leave your comfort zone now... be swift about it. If you are a graduate and have served, time is far spent.

And my motivation is, I have a family to support... I lost my dad late last year and I'm taking responsibility of contributing my quota to the well being of my family back home, at least before I get married... it's a personal task.

You don't need to lose your dad before you get motivated.

Please brother, do something before something do you.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, I CAN SEND YOU A COPY OF A WELL DESIGNED AND ATTRACTIVE CV.. FREE OF CHARGE.

My joy is that every young man/woman should take up responsibility.

A relative could use this format, please send to: area.fada@yahoo.com

Thanks.
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by nonix22(m): 12:55am On Apr 01, 2016
AbuMaryam1:
Bros, Gimbiya street is now OLD SCHOOL unlike 10 years ago when IBIZA was major and the most loved Night Clubs in the city. U Know nah! cool
AbuMaryam1:
Bros, Gimbiya street is now OLD SCHOOL unlike 10 years ago when IBIZA was major and the most loved Night Clubs in the city. U Know nah!

2 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Emeskhalifa(m): 1:05am On Apr 01, 2016
xmileeasy:

Hehehe, I grew up in Abuja na. I trek from Karmo to Jabi during my primary school days, did same for secondary school. I don't leave a fake life in Abuja.

wat shocked ?? karmo to Jabi? na die b dat oooo

I trekkked frm asset garden garki to area wan. swear i nearly die today. anyway fake life no good. i agree wth u
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by xmileeasy: 1:09am On Apr 01, 2016
Emeskhalifa:

wat shocked ?? karmo to Jabi? na die b dat oooo

I trekkked frm asset garden garki to area wan. swear i nearly die today. anyway fake life no good. i agree wth u
Hehehe, you try sir. Hope you recovered the strength expended?
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by truthspeaks: 1:16am On Apr 01, 2016
Na to go live wit buhari. Aftrall he is for evrybody n a father to d north...sory...nation grin cheesy
banme1:
.u hear abuja u pack bags. No concrete arrangement for accommodation and other logistics. U get sense so?

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Gkemz: 1:20am On Apr 01, 2016
law001:
This thread is inspired by a touching story of a Nairalander (Pretty002) on fp today.

READ!
https://www.nairaland.com/3019959/trials-fresh-abuja-resident

Introduction:
Abuja is a fast growing city that presents great prospects hence many Nigerian Youths especially graduates ( a handful from neighbouring countries) troop into this Nigeria Big Apple to either pursue their career or work for a living.
No doubt, Abuja's population is increasing by the day majority of which are youths.
Hence it is peculiar to meet various challenges in this fast growing city.
Some of the problems that are common will be listed and discussed and possible ways of coping with then will be proffered. While doing this, I'll briefly state my personal experience as a Fresher and how I'm surviving as I'm still a fresher.

Please note that there is no hard and fast rule of survival. What will work for Peter (my late father's name) might not work for Paul.
Read and learn.

1. Accommodation:
This was and is still the biggest problem in Abuja... for those who didn't read Pretty002's story, she discussed extensively how she has been suffering from this same issue.
But do you know that there are more empty houses in Abuja than the ones people live in? That's by the way side though. For freshers, this poses a big problem.

For those planning on coming to abuja to work or stay, accommodation in Abuja is very expensive far expensive than Lagos. For those doubting Thomas, come and see for yourself. So when coming here, plan on where to stay at least for the first few months before you can get your own place.

Solution:
Please and please before leaving home, create a network of TRUSTED friends minimum of 2 living Abuja already that you can stay with for the time being.

For me, I had 3 friends I could stay with when I was coming to Abuja. And to avoid too much shakara from any, I was shuttling the 3 houses during the weekends but I spent the week in one of the houses cus it was in town closer to my workplace.

Always suggest and support any arrangement that will encourage better leaving for your host.
As for me, the very first dat I stayed at my friends place, I contributed a larger part in buying gas, I did the dishes even when I didn't use them. Subsequently, I supported him financially in paying for water bill, bought groceries and cooked.
Please don't see it as slavery. You are the one at the disadvantaged end here.
Except you are very comfortable, do not stay in your friends place more than 3 months. Have a plan of getting your own place when you get a job, no matter how small or how far the place is.

Lastly, on accommodation, please ladies! Do not stay in a guy's house unless he's your brother or close and very close relative.

2. Getting a Job:
This is also another tough part in Abuja. Getting a job is not easy at all. Although I got my present job 2 days upon landing Abuja, I have friends who up till now are still searching for job.
Please plan well and don't rely on that uncle that promised to give you a job once you move to Abuja (due respect to those faithful to their words).

As for me, immediately I stepped into Abuja, I started searching for job the next morning. I moved from office to office, I printed my CV and made lots of copies. I submitted my CV in several offices.
On the next day I continued.
I still remember my line whenever I entered any office. "I'm a lawyer, my name is... I moved into Abuja yesterday and I decided to move round to see if there is any vacancy for a lawyer". The answer was usually NO until I walked into my present office and fortunately for me, there were conducting interview for lawyers and luckily I was the only one employed after the interview.

3. Cost of transportation: after accommodation, transportation is the most expensive thing in Abuja. Some people spend about A thousand naira going to work every day. Have a plan of financing your transportation at least before you get a job to when you get a job and paid. Do not rely on your host to give you transport even if your host is your relative.

4. Feeding:
this won't pose a major problem unless you are eating at your hosts house. Always support the cooking arrangement in the house. Do not be a virus. Even if your host is not the cooking type, please suggest you guys cook to save money. And even if you don't know how to cook, try it. No matter how bad your cooking is, your host will see your genuine interest in supporting him/her.

5. Neatness at all time:
Please always appear neat and presentable at all time. It is very sacrosanct to your living in Abuja. Always clean your surroundings, where you stay and work. No matter how dirty and untidy you are at home, please always clean your hosts apartment whether you contributed to the dirt or not.

6. Define your class:
Please be informed that all classes exist here in Abuja. Below low class, low class, below middle class, middle class, below high class, high class very high class, etc.
It can be tempting to leave above your class especially if you meet the wrong persons when you get here.
As for me, when I got here, I stayed with a friend that loves drinking every night, I mean every night. Even though I was not the one paying, I felt it is not appropriate to do so especially as it was affecting my new job. So most times I discourage them from going or I don't go with them and this prompted me to get my own apartment quickly as I didn't want to lose focus of what brought me to Abuja.
Abuja presents an environment to lavish your money if you are not wise. Spend cautiously and remember those you left home.

7. Be prayerful:
This point is very vital. To me, I got my job through the prayer I said before I entered the premises of my current workplace.
No matter what believe you have or your religion, please be prayerful. It's sacrosanct to your survival here in Abuja.

Conclusively, please note that I am less than 2 months in Abuja.
I got my apartment from my first salary, soft loan from a friend and home support. Although I was flat broke after I rented my place, I'm happy and I have rest of mind.

So insightful bro. Thanks for that and may the same God who favoured you in your journey of faith remember the ones who've been on the street hustling hard to get some bay. I admire your courage and optimism.

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Politicalidiot: 1:30am On Apr 01, 2016
law001:

My guess is either your family is in Abuja or you are very comfortable here if not, you will see the motivation immediately your host you are squatting with start giving you attitude.

My advice, leave your comfort zone now... be swift about it. If you are a graduate and have served, time is far spent.

And my motivation is, I have a family to support... I lost my dad late last year and I'm taking responsibility of contributing my quota to the well being of my family back home, at least before I get married... it's a personal task.

You don't need to lose your dad before you get motivated.

Please brother, do something before something do you.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, I CAN SEND YOU A COPY OF A WELL DESIGNED AND ATTRACTIVE CV.. FREE OF CHARGE.

My joy is that every young man/woman should take up responsibility.

a beg send a copy to hienyimba @ gmail.com

I am a lawyer too, about going to Law School. pls could u also recommend a Law school for me? which did u attend?
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Shinelle(f): 1:33am On Apr 01, 2016
Oga OP I don't agree with you on transport .
1000 ? is the person using drop/cab.. ? u won't even spend 1000 to and fro nyanya to kwali or zuba to Apo . ..
Abj public transport is way cheaper than alot of cities... Esp Lagos!

4 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by endymion: 1:37am On Apr 01, 2016
Please send a copy of the ...
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Nobody: 1:48am On Apr 01, 2016
Curiouscat:
Go to Gishiri, it's opposite Nicon Junction, just opposite Maitama there. 50 naira to transcorp, 50 to berger etc. With your 150k you will get one of the best self cons there, *t*u*s*h it to your taste and you are good. (of course no water buh trust me water is never gonna be an issue) it is the closest suburb within town. Buh I must warn you, the environment there is not funny at all oo, I started there and I lived conformably. It's for very temporary period. So long as you don't relax, before you know it you are out.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Nobody: 1:52am On Apr 01, 2016
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Donsammi(m): 2:28am On Apr 01, 2016
Thought u wanna add kubwa ...except kubwa village
xmileeasy:

4 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by AbuMaryam1(m): 2:38am On Apr 01, 2016
sinisters:

That place is sane a little now....
Na true

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

A Nairalander's First Time Experience At The Beach With Pictures... / XENOPHOBIA: Nigerians Find Safe Havens In Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Others / The Scene Of The Airforce Helicopter Crash In Kaduna (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.