Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,716 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:56 PM

Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? - Investment (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? (15885 Views)

Get 100% Working Physical Card For Your Online Transactions Today! / Whats The Current Fixed Deposit Interest Rate For Nigerian Banks / Long Bank Queues: Are Banks Like Mmm? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by kennyslim1(m): 2:57pm On Apr 01, 2016
Nairadays:

Firefire, am not an economist.

Please see my edit.

Should we say the market has been deregulated. I don't know.

Am just coming from the banks around my working place, asking them can i send money outside Nigeria via Western Union, since WU will mostly charge NGN225 to $1, at least it will help. But 2 of the banks says they've put sending out money via western union on hold. angry Mtcheww. Only 1 bank says it allows Moneygram only if i have an account with them.

Please which bank allows MoneyGram
Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by blackprowler: 3:07pm On Apr 01, 2016
VANENON:
Please pardon my lack of understanding but I had assumed the banks should charge at the officially CBN rate.
I would want someone to enlighten me on why bank are allowed to make abnormal profit at the expense of the masses.
Why are the banks not charging at CBN rates?
I used my naira master card last month for an online transaction and got charged virtually same price as black market and couldn't understand the rationale for this.
Please someone who truly understands how this works and the basis for this policy, if its legal should help throw some light on this.

Didn't you know already? Nigeria is a den where people try to get away with as much as they can over everyone else. A country that can even use religion for that end. Lemme tell you a story: when pound was going to 400 naira real rate and the fake 299 "official", someone sent me lots of £ from the UK through the banks. They promptly credited my account at 299 each pound. I already lost almost 100k naira. Now, I need to buy stuff for my business on eBay UK and other places. I pay via Paypal from same bank and they promptly deducted the almost 400naira for each £ I paid. My calculations show it was same as the person sent me 60% of what they sent. If I had spent all on online transactions, I would have actually spent under 40% of what was sent to me. NIGERIA IS A JOKE!

3 Likes

Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by henryskywalker2003(m): 3:07pm On Apr 01, 2016
Stanbic IBTC used to be one of the good guys, but they have joined the bandwagon. They now charge NGN280 to $1.

1 Like

Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by Nairadays: 3:32pm On Apr 01, 2016
kennyslim1:

Please which bank allows MoneyGram

Sterling.
Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by Nairadays: 3:34pm On Apr 01, 2016
41lady:

Let be specific, Firstbank and GTbank Charge at NGN397 to NGN400 per USD1. I use my naira card and that's the rate they charged me.They have turn to financial criminals now, using the economy lopholes to exploit people.

It's really painful angry angry angry

Well we all know what a Bank is? Its both a profit driven and profit oriented institution.
Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by Nairadays: 3:37pm On Apr 01, 2016
Lajet:

Which bank told you if you have account with them you can send out Money Gram at the rate 225 Naira to $1 because i have went to every bank none of them is sending out Money Gram or Western Union .and why is that when somebody send money to Nigeria through Western Union or Money Gram the bank will pay the person at the rate of 197 naira to $1 but the will charge me at the rate of 330 Naira to $1 if i use my Naira Master Card to buy something online or withdraw money outside the country

Sterling told me today at the counter that unless i have a Sterling Account.

I receive whatsapp messages from my chinese merchant telling me which bank allows Moneygram to route out funds and he includes the rate at which maybe other Nigerian customers have sent money to him.

But officially i didn't hear that it's NGN225 by moneygram ooo.

Am sorry if that misled you or anyone reading this.
Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by skyhighweb(m): 3:38pm On Apr 01, 2016
Nairadays:

Firefire, am not an economist.

Please see my edit.

Should we say the market has been deregulated. I don't know.

Am just coming from the banks around my working place, asking them can i send money outside Nigeria via Western Union, since WU will mostly charge NGN225 to $1, at least it will help. But 2 of the banks says they've put sending out money via western union on hold. angry Mtcheww. Only 1 bank says it allows Moneygram only if i have an account with them.
which bank is that? and if they allow quick open n start sending.
Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by Nairadays: 3:41pm On Apr 01, 2016
skyhighweb:
which bank is that? and if they allow quick open n start sending.

It's Sterling. Abi? you're right. Business must go on.
Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by Uchefrancis16(m): 3:54pm On Apr 01, 2016
imohchard:
Dude banks are business organization, they use the dollar to do busineSs.. If they trade at CBN rate they would make loss.. They themselve buy the dollar from oversea and they don't buy it at the CBN rate, they buy it at parales market rate... They can't sell lower than that or else they go bankrupt...

Shaking my head for those shouting corruption... Understand a thread before commenting
Hello my friend I agree with you to an extent.

Since they source the dollars overseas, at rates higher than the CBN then they have yo sell at parallel rate. this isvgoid and shouldn't be regarded as corruption.

However, why is it that if they want to buy dollars from us, they don't pay at parallel rate? For instance, when AdSense pays me at the end of the month in dollars, my bank credit my account at 198.5 to a dollar which is not even up to the CBN 199. Is that not corruption?

2 Likes

Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by samjadinero(m): 4:54pm On Apr 01, 2016
When I tell customers the price of goods these days and they reply "shebi dollar de ti wa le! (but exchange rate has fallen! ). I just look at them like...

Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by Chukzyfcb(m): 5:00pm On Apr 01, 2016
Who dey talk say bank dey source dollars from black market. All the expatriate in nigerians who earn in foreigh currency, no be bank dem go use send money go their country? All the dollars & pounds wey nigerians in diaspora dey send, no be thru banks them go dey use
Banks will collect your dollars @ 193 but sell for you @ 320, and u dey defend them say na becoz na blackmarket dem dey buy from? Yu need cane!!!

1 Like

Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by jimi4us: 5:03pm On Apr 01, 2016
Nairadays:
The banks are now permitted to source for the greenback themselves, not like before where they were offered via the DAS (Dutch Auction System) of the CBN.

When they source from the CBN, they're bound by the law to charge at that rate or slightly higher than the rate at which CBN sold it to them, but now CBN stopped the auction system partly due to the fact that our foreign reserves have been depleting since the fall in crude prices, and so therefore banks are mandated to source for it themselves. They're not bound by the CBN official rates trading anymore but blackmarket rates.

It's so painful, heard from my colleagues that one certain bank was even charging NGN398 to $1.

May God deliver us from the mercy of these banks.
abeg make una dey mention the banks name, so that we go know how to dey dudge bullet
Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by Chukzyfcb(m): 5:09pm On Apr 01, 2016
Uchefrancis16:
Hello my friend I agree with you to an extent.

Since they source the dollars overseas, at rates higher than the CBN then they have yo sell at parallel rate. this isvgoid and shouldn't be regarded as corruption.

However, why is it that if they want to buy dollars from us, they don't pay at parallel rate? For instance, when AdSense pays me at the end of the month in dollars, my bank credit my account at 198.5 to a dollar which is not even up to the CBN 199. Is that not corruption?
198.5 try sef, if u try money gram/ wester union. Na 193.83 ooo...scammers dem be.

1 Like

Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by Nairadays: 5:16pm On Apr 01, 2016
jimi4us:
abeg make una dey mention the banks name, so that we go know how to dey dudge bullet

My brother na the Z bank. wink
Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by Mailthaddeus(m): 5:30pm On Apr 01, 2016
Note that the dollar is a scarce comodity and banks don't print dollars, they get allocations for CBN on weekly basis to service thier customers , and most times very little. For example, CBN gives the banks
$1000 weekly when d banks have over $1,000,000 obligations weekly. In other to meet up, d banks source for dollars same way d parallel guys get theirs.
So it's not the banks fault but the falling economy of the country.
Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by uboma(m): 6:34pm On Apr 01, 2016
dominique:
Sometimes they charge higher than parallel rates sef. Someone once lamented how one of them charged him as high as N350 per dollar. FG has never sanctioned any bank for selling higher than CBN rate.

The banks charge as high as 350NGN per dollar but when you cancel the order because of delay in delivery or something else, the same banks charge you at the cbn rate 199NGN per dollar, thereby making you loose so much money.

It is a pity that Nigerians are being robbed this way in our own country and the cbn aint doing anything about this.

This is why i admire the economy of Nairobi, Kenya. They are a small economy but very organized. They have a strong regulated FX policy. Their banks are open/transparent about their FX rates, same goes for their bdcs.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by IamUdo(m): 7:14pm On Apr 01, 2016
I'm in the US and I used my master card from Ecobank n was charged 320 naira pet dollar. Its jst outrageous and I call this a TOTAL FRAUD.

1 Like

Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Apr 01, 2016
Nairadays:
The banks are now permitted to source for the greenback themselves, not like before where they were offered via the DAS (Dutch Auction System) of the CBN.

When they source from the CBN, they're bound by the law to charge at that rate or slightly higher than the rate at which CBN sold it to them, but now CBN stopped the auction system partly due to the fact that our foreign reserves have been depleting since the fall in crude prices, and so therefore banks are mandated to source for it themselves. They're not bound by the CBN official rates anymore but by the blackmarket rates.

It's so painful, heard from my colleagues that one certain bank was even charging NGN398 to $1.

May God deliver us from these banks.

kindly get your information right , banks have being charging @ blackmarket rate even before CBN asked them to source elsewhere , i posted this same issue at CBN facebook page then and they never replied

THEY ARE ALL CRIMINALS

3 Likes

Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by AXYZ: 2:47am On Apr 02, 2016
billyoung:
The reason is that banks have to source the dollar themselves. The CBN sells only a limited amount to them every week. The banks have to buy at black market rates just like you do so they have to at least break even if not make a profit.

But they charge as much even on the limited amount CBN gave them. It's advisable CBN leaves them to source for everything.
Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by umehprince(m): 5:40am On Apr 02, 2016
Hello Folks!
Please can someone help me on how can i change some money here to dollar apart from using the black money prize? I bank with UBA. I want to attend a three days Conference at Ethiopia but am stranded. If Try buying in black market, i wont have enough to attend the conference. So what are your suggestions? Should I go to the UBA bank and tell them about my Conference?
Thanks in anticipation
Prince
Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by Awee(f): 6:04pm On Apr 02, 2016
IamUdo:
I'm in the US and I used my master card from Ecobank n was charged 320 naira pet dollar. Its jst outrageous and I call this a TOTAL FRAUD.

Hmmmn, I feel you guy. Dollar is not smiling at all in Naija this period. My bank explained to me that card rate is different from the exchange rate found online when i experienced a similar issue after using my card online
Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by VANENON(f): 3:21pm On Apr 03, 2016
Thanks everyone for the clarification.
Really wonder when things will get better in this country.
Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by amenuveve: 9:24am On Apr 04, 2016
scachy:

Honestly, the last I received 2 days ago was charge at 258 (aside #14,700 transfer charge) .
It's so pathetic.

which of the banks did they use and which medium(moneygram or westernunion), thanks
Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by alubert4real: 10:22am On Apr 04, 2016
This is too, something has to be done quickly about it. I can't even do business anymore. So so annoying.
Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by scachy(m): 10:43am On Apr 04, 2016
amenuveve:

which of the banks did they use and which medium(moneygram or westernunion), thanks

First Bank, both mediums
Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by Excellent7(m): 10:57am On Apr 04, 2016
persius555:
You just spoke my thought. The banks charge official rate when you recieve money from abroad and charge you double when you make payments. Some ignorants say the banks source money from abroad and parallel markets, i laugh fulani... Some days ago, there was a headline that nigerians repatriated $21 billions in 2015. This is the same forex that the banks sell to the locals at almost twice official rate. They do not source their forex abroad or black market. The twosources are CBN and foreign repatriations. Take a look at the volume dollars that all western unions transact on a daily basis and you will realise how much profit the banks are making effortlessly.

You just captured the "fraudulent" scenario
The banks are able to make close to 50 percent of inbound foreign currency transactions from diaspora while the individual or entity sending the funds loses about 50 percent of value.
Since it is becoming a loss making venture sending money through the banks to Nigeria, it is obvious that diaspora transfers through banks will be drying up.
It will be interesting to see the figures for half year and full year 2016.

1 Like

Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by alubert4real: 5:37pm On Apr 04, 2016
Ok, now I see. Thanks for this great info
Quakertellicus1:

Good explanation.

In other words....low crude prices= low forex reserves.
Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by Janedoe26(f): 3:52pm On Apr 06, 2016
blackprowler:

Didn't you know already? Nigeria is a den where people try to get away with as much as they can over everyone else. A country that can even use religion for that end. Lemme tell you a story: when pound was going to 400 naira real rate and the fake 299 "official", someone sent me lots of £ from the UK through the banks. They promptly credited my account at 299 each pound. I already lost almost 100k naira. Now, I need to buy stuff for my business on eBay UK and other places. I pay via Paypal from same bank and they promptly deducted the almost 400naira for each £ I paid. My calculations show it was same as the person sent me 60% of what they sent. If I had spent all on online transactions, I would have actually spent under 40% of what was sent to me. NIGERIA IS A JOKE!

Hello Sir, Please how do you ship your things to Nigeria when you shop on Ebayuk. I usually use a Logistic Company but I am not impressed by their Service. Need a new way.
Re: Are Banks Legally Supposed To Charge Parallel Rate For Online Transactions? by amenuveve: 1:31pm On Apr 08, 2016
scachy:

First Bank, both mediums
ok thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Investors Lose N1.6trn In First 100 Days Of Buhari Tenure / ''BUILD Student hostel With N30millions & MAKE N9millions Every Year For 25years / Get A Reliable USD Virtual Prepaid Debit Cards For Your Account Verification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.