Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,786 members, 7,806,179 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:32 PM

Cons Of V6 - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Cons Of V6 (2290 Views)

Pros And Cons Of Honda Accord 2007 4 Cylinder Discussion Continues / What is the pros and cons of Shipping Car Through Cotonu / 2units Of V6 Honda Baboyboy For Sale By XBM Autos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cons Of V6 by femi9naija(m): 6:50am On Apr 02, 2016
What are really the cons of purchasing a Used in Nigeria v6 cars? Most of the cars i like are in v6 engine (especially coupes) but I've always been discouraged by mechanics and people from buying Nigerian used v6. And there's no money to get a toks v6. So to the car gurus on NL, what are the cons of a Nigerian used v6 cars?
Re: Cons Of V6 by princetom1(m): 6:58am On Apr 02, 2016
Following
Re: Cons Of V6 by Akan7: 7:17am On Apr 02, 2016
femi9naija:
What are really the cons of purchasing a Used in Nigeria v6 cars? Most of the cars i like are in v6 engine (especially coupes) but I've always been discouraged by mechanics and people from buying Nigerian used v6. And there's no money to get a toks v6. So to the car gurus on NL, what are the cons of a Nigerian used v6 cars?
I'm also willing to know
Re: Cons Of V6 by shikshark: 7:50am On Apr 02, 2016
Akan7:
I'm also willing to know
me too walahi!!!
Re: Cons Of V6 by femi9naija(m): 7:53am On Apr 02, 2016
Help us call all them car gurus o.
Siena, GAZZUZZ etc
Re: Cons Of V6 by USAutoBuy(m): 7:55am On Apr 02, 2016
You buy any used car with caution. Pay attention to the maintenance history. With that said, nothing is wrong with a V6. Most mechanics are just clueless and unwilling to learn new things.

NOTHING'S WRONG WITH A V6!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Cons Of V6 by Stylz69(m): 9:21am On Apr 02, 2016
The only cons come with buying a poorly maintained V6.

1 Like

Re: Cons Of V6 by femi9naija(m): 9:26am On Apr 02, 2016
The major issue is just that we Nigerians are not honest with each other. Just because we want to sell something, we tend to hide faults from prospective buyers. If u ask them, they'll tell u "it's in perfect condition", "it's properly maintained" etc.
Another thing is most of our mechanics are not properly versed with v6.

1 Like

Re: Cons Of V6 by newman10(m): 9:32am On Apr 02, 2016
All cars advertised are BUY N DRIVE. Liars!

1 Like

Re: Cons Of V6 by femi9naija(m): 9:40am On Apr 02, 2016
newman10:
All cars advertised are BUY N DRIVE. Liars!
Lol
Re: Cons Of V6 by blackwest: 6:08pm On Apr 02, 2016
hi, v6, v8, v12 and so on they are all good engines depending on the maintenance of this cars , am an auto guy and am very much into cars engines that are recent and big engines save more fuel then the four cylinder on longer distance and short moments as well its all abt wat u like or want to get from a car wen driving it .most local mech guyz are scare of big engine due to the fact of no clue on wat to do but mate i wish u all the best u will enjoy any big engines .
Re: Cons Of V6 by Olisa4all: 8:36pm On Apr 02, 2016
blackwest:
hi, v6, v8, v12 and so on they are all good engines depending on the maintenance of this cars , am an auto guy and am very much into cars engines that are recent and big engines save more fuel then the four cylinder on longer distance and short moments well its all abt wat u like or want to get from a car wen driving it .most local mech guyz are scare of big engine due to the fact of no clue on wat to do but mate i wish u all the best u will enjoy any big engines .

You deduced this how sir?
Re: Cons Of V6 by femi9naija(m): 9:08pm On Apr 02, 2016
Another thing i don't understand is: apart from the engine itself, are some other parts in the car also in a different form to the i4?
Re: Cons Of V6 by blackwest: 9:17pm On Apr 02, 2016
lets me explain recent car with like let say v8 or a v8 engine as 8 cylinders rite, not all the 8 cylinders fires at go with the help of the ECU regulating the combustion in the engine , a range 2015 5.0L does 14 MPG (CITY) and (HIGH WAY) does 19 MPG on premium fuel while a corolla 2015 1.8 L does 30 MPG (CITY) and (HIGHWAY) 37 to 40 MPG so from the values av given u do the maths and if ur still not convinced i will sent u some links so u can read ur self .you see gone are those dayz were big engines were bad buys , like theres this new F150 eco boost engine pls bro you need to see the veiws on the engines check it out on youtude hope i could help lol like the says its either we go BIG or we go HOME!!!!!!!
Re: Cons Of V6 by blackwest: 9:25pm On Apr 02, 2016
list of things that make engine saves fuel
1, good valcum system
2, the catalyst isn't messed with
3, your 02 sensor
4, good iridium spark plugs
5, air intake system (air filter)
6, dont ever remove the car thermostat

4 Likes

Re: Cons Of V6 by Olisa4all: 11:07pm On Apr 03, 2016
blackwest:
lets me explain recent car with like let say v8 or a v8 engine as 8 cylinders rite, not all the 8 cylinders fires at go with the help of the ECU regulating the combustion in the engine , a range 2015 5.0L does 14 MPG (CITY) and (HIGH WAY) does 19 MPG on premium fuel while a corolla 2015 1.8 L does 30 MPG (CITY) and (HIGHWAY) 37 to 40 MPG so from the values av given u do the maths and if ur still not convinced i will sent u some links so u can read ur self .you see gone are those dayz were big engines were bad buys , like theres this new F150 eco boost engine pls bro you need to see the veiws on the engines check it out on youtude hope i could help lol like the says its either we go BIG or we go HOME!!!!!!!

Do you know what MPG stands for sir? Miles Per Gallon, the corolla like you said can go 40miles on 1gallon of fuel on a highway & and Range goes 19miles to one gallon of fuel, with these numbers you put out, how on God's green earth is the V8 engine more fuel efficient than the Inline4 engine?

3 Likes

Re: Cons Of V6 by Nobody: 7:34am On Apr 04, 2016
Ok here's what I've got. Unlike an I4 engine,a V6 has two more cylinders,this means more power and like most V6 engines,smoothness.
So more power means when u punch it,the response u get is faster and somewhat exciting,not the slight delay u get from most naturally aspired I4 engines(I mean not turbo charged or supercharged). Fuel economy is reduced by just 1 to 2MPG but usually 1.
about being a Nigerian used. Whether its an I4,V6,V8 or whatever, should be properly checked before purchase. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Re: Cons Of V6 by blackwest: 8:27am On Apr 04, 2016
good-morning av u hard of part of an engine shorting off wen not in use , so u can understand me really well i will send u a link
Re: Cons Of V6 by blackwest: 9:05am On Apr 04, 2016
and so u dnt get me wrong
1, i said on longer distance a v6, v8, v12 etc will consume less way less fuel than any i4 engine on a steady rev eg let say i am driving a range with a standard engine 4.4 or 5.0 and you av a corolla of same year and we both heading to ibadan so to say ,both cars on 100 or 140 kph and like i said both cars on a steady rev the big engine will do way less fuel than the 4cy reason is very simple at that speed the ecu of each of the cars re-regulate the injection of fuel in the engine ( for the v8 it reduces the spary to drops on the steady moment at 140kph while for the ecu intends spray move fuel to keep up at that speed on the same steady rev (lets at 100 kph u were consuming 100% at steady rev then u increase to 140 kph at thesame steady rev wld u belive that the i4 engine consumption of fuel will btw 90% to 110% while the v6 or v8 will do less of 60% but if dnt agree with this then am all ears to ur explanation with poof

1 Like

Re: Cons Of V6 by leuelliot(m): 9:17am On Apr 04, 2016
blackwest:
and so u dnt get me wrong
1, i said on longer distance a v6, v8, v12 etc will consume less way less fuel than any i4 engine on a steady rev eg let say i am driving a range with a standard engine 4.4 or 5.0 and you av a corolla of same year and we both heading to ibadan so to say ,both cars on 100 or 140 kph and like i said both cars on a steady rev the big engine will do way less fuel than the 4cy reason is very simple at that speed the ecu of each of the cars re-regulate the injection of fuel in the engine ( for the v8 it reduces the spary to drops on the steady moment at 140kph while for the ecu intends spray move fuel to keep up at that speed on the same steady rev (lets at 100 kph u were consuming 100% at steady rev then u increase to 140 kph at thesame steady rev wld u belive that the i4 engine consumption of fuel will btw 90% to 110% while the v6 or v8 will do less of 60% but if dnt agree with this then am all ears to ur explanation with poof

Please sir give this a rest, try and understand the concept of mpg, in a modern v8 cylinder deactivation can only get you max 26/27mpg and that's on an Audi engine. 35 mpg is 35 mpg if the 4 cylinder engine revs at 3000 rpm at 140km/h and gets 35mpg if the v8 likes let it deactivate 7 cylinders it wouldn't get 35mpg at the same speed, it's a big engine in a heavy car it would burn more fuel for the same distance at the same speed. I admire your enthusiasm. Please read up on mpg

1 Like

Re: Cons Of V6 by princetom1(m): 10:12am On Apr 04, 2016
leuelliot:

Please sir give this a rest, try and understand the concept of mpg, in a modern v8 cylinder deactivation can only get you max 26/27mpg and that's on an Audi engine. 35 mpg is 35 mpg if the 4 cylinder engine revs at 3000 rpm at 140km/h and gets 35mpg if the v8 likes let it deactivate 7 cylinders it wouldn't get 35mpg at the same speed, it's a heavy engine in a heavy car it would burn more fuel for the same distance at the same speed. I admire your enthusiasm. Please read up on mpg

I mean, he just think about it in his mind and write it down. Damn, that guy is seriously misleading people here. Can u imagine? V8 better than i4 on a highway? What makes bigger cars like 4runner, fx45 and armanda so cheap wen u used it in Nigeria and wanna resell? Simple, people dont buy vehicles with big engine because of fuel consumption. For every 100 corolla, Camry, accord, u will see very few vehicles with v8.
Cc: GAZZUZ, kingreign

2 Likes

Re: Cons Of V6 by blackwest: 10:29am On Apr 04, 2016
bros wats year model are all this cars ur naming , dude claim like i said all the facts are base on 2015 models
Re: Cons Of V6 by Emekasmart(m): 11:03am On Apr 04, 2016
Abeg where is Oga Sienna and Chief Gazzuzz? They can settle dis dispute amicably..
Re: Cons Of V6 by leuelliot(m): 11:21am On Apr 04, 2016
blackwest:
bros wats year model are all this cars ur naming , dude claim like i said all the facts are base on 2015 models

it doesn't matter what year sir, you said in a modern v8 engine. i believe that's our benchmark
Re: Cons Of V6 by Nobody: 11:58am On Apr 04, 2016
I understand what this guy is trying to say. He probably is talking about the vvt-i system in Toyota and v-tec in Honda. These systems are responsible for improving fuel efficiency by adjusting valve timing. The thing is,a V8 can never be as efficient as an I4 engine. If u really look at it,V8s are usually bolted to bigger and luxury oriented vehicles that have a lot of work to do,I mean keeping a lot of technological systems on the move.
They are also built to be powerful,and that itself comes at the expense of fuel efficiency.
Re: Cons Of V6 by femi9naija(m): 12:40pm On Apr 04, 2016
Personally o (i might be wrong tho), the only reason i4 engines can be better than bigger engines is the fuel consumption factor, and may be poor knowledge of our illiterate mechanics. And to the poster who said the reason why v6 cars are cheaper than i4 cars is because v6 are inferior to i4, WRONG. It's only cheaper here because our so called mechanics advise against it and thereby cause v6 cars to be less in demand than the i4.
Re: Cons Of V6 by femi9naija(m): 1:09pm On Apr 04, 2016
... And let's not forget these v6 cars are more costly than their i4 counterparts in these developing countries
Re: Cons Of V6 by blackwest: 1:19pm On Apr 04, 2016
well you said v8 are all built for power no lies about that wen it come to aggression and fastness but wat u dont also know is that they do less fuel on longer distance and steady rev this is due to the slow engine circle (for an i4 engine combustion is very fast season bn is that 1342 the distance from the plug the piston t father then a v8 engine i think the only i can explan to you realy well is to invite you to my workshop so i can show u better and then we both put it to a test as well
Re: Cons Of V6 by Olisa4all: 1:39pm On Apr 04, 2016
blackwest:
well you said v8 are all built for power no lies about that wen it come to aggression and fastness but wat u dont also know is that they do less fuel on longer distance and steady rev this is due to the slow engine circle (for an i4 engine combustion is very fast season bn is that 1342 the distance from the plug the piston t father then a v8 engine i think the only i can explan to you realy well is to invite you to my workshop so i can show u better and then we both put it to a test as well

Sir, please do a little reading about MPG in your spare time biko and stop misleading the people who come to your workshop. 19 MPG range Rover vs 40Mpg toyota corolla, lol

1 Like

Re: Cons Of V6 by leuelliot(m): 5:25pm On Apr 04, 2016
blackwest:

All theories sir Slow engine cycle wtf? the only 'slow' engines are found in ships(reciprocating two-stroke slow speed diesel engines less than 120 rpm) and these engines produce upwards of 50,000 Horse power, Have you heard of gear ratio? do you know that a typical v8 with 4 speed transmission would rev higher at cursing speed than an i4 with 6 speed gearbox?

(1) (Reply)

Clean 2010 Hyundai Elantra For Sale 1.35m (reduced price) - call 07031596398 / Audi A4 2009 #3m. SOLD SOLD SOLD!!! THANKS 4UR PATRONAGE / Toyota Camry With Everything Working

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.