Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,981 members, 7,806,869 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today (38619 Views)

Major Mistake Made By Christians / Putting God First: Modern-Day Idolatry Among Christians Today / 12 Signs Of Self-righteousness And Pharisee-ism Among Christians Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by DharmyYinks: 6:29pm On Apr 02, 2016
What are five common sins that often get ignored by Christians? Which ones can you think of?

Bearing False Witness
We are still sinners, the Bible is very clear about this (1 John 1:8. 10), but we should not be bearing false witness to others. We can “stretch” the truth, but a half-truth is still a whole lie. I know I’ve done it, and I would imagine you have, too. I’ve been caught in a lie, and I’ve caught others in them, too. Most Christians repent of this and ask for forgiveness, but I also know a lady who claims to be a Christian and is a compulsive liar. This ought not be because this is one of the so-called seven deadly sins that God hates, and it includes being “ a false witness who breathes out lies ” (Prov. 6:19a), which is “ a lying tongue ” (Prov. 6:17).

Gossiping
This is one sin that God truly hates. It divides and destroys many churches and relationships, too. God says, “ There are six things that the Lord hates [and] seven that are an abomination to him ” (Prov. 6:16), including “ one who sows discord among brothers ” (Prov. 6:19b) because it destroys the unity which God is trying to create in the church. This was a huge problem within the Corinthian church, as Paul wrote that there should “ be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment ” (1 Cor. 1:10) because “ a whisperer (gossiper) separates close friends ” (Prov. 16:28b).

Stealing
We might not be robbing banks, but we can leave work early; have someone clock us in or out; or steal pens, paper, and even paperclips from work. If we aren’t giving it our all at work, then we’re stealing from our employer, who pays us the wages for which they expect us to work. Paul admonishes those thieves of property and time: “ Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need ” (Eph. 4:28). Paul rebuked the church at Rome by asking, “ While you preach against stealing, do you steal ” (Rom. 2:21)?

Coveting
This is the only sin that is listed among the Ten Commandments that nobody can see. You can covet your neighbor’s spouse; you can covet their brand new car; you can covet their house; or you can even covet their job, status, or position in life. Coveting is the one sin that Paul apparently had trouble with, as he wrote, “ Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. For I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, ‘You shall not covet’ But sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, produced in me all kinds of covetousness. For apart from the law, sin lies dead ” (Rom. 7:7-cool. When you covet, you tell God, “God, I’m not satisfied with what I have–I want more.”

Dishonoring Parents
I hear this broken frequently by people who talk about their parents when they’re not there and even after they’ve passed away. Once again, I’ve done it, but I stopped. I repented of this. You can dishonor your parents even after you’re an adult by the way you talk to them, by the way you talk about them, and by the way you treat them (or mistreat them).

This commandment is so important to God that He placed it first in the six commandments that are horizontal (human to human). This is the only commandment that promises a longer life if obeyed but a shorter life if not. This is not simply an Old Testament law, as Paul reiterated it in Ephesians 6:2-3, writing, “ Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise “that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land. ” Paul directly quoted Deuteronomy 5:16.

Conclusion:
I used the Ten Commandments because every sin we can commit are contained within these Ten Commandments. I could have also added putting others before God and taking God’s name in vain, but I would not expect Christians to openly do these sorts of things.

Surely, we should not be lying to one another, we should not be gossiping about others, we should be giving an honest day’s work for an honest day’s wages, we shouldn’t be coveting what others have but be content with what we have, and we should be honoring our parents. Let us all Repent from our sins!!!

Source: www.faithinthenews.com/5-sins-that-often-get-ignored-by-christians-today/

37 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Annunaki(m): 7:13pm On Apr 02, 2016
6. Twisting scriptures
There are several false doctrines being peddled around the church today which partly accounts for the proliferation of churches. A very good example of a false doctrine derived from twisting scriptures is the tithe doctrine which is very popular in our churches today yet the bible makes it clear that it is a sin to add to or take away from scriptures.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by SweetieConstie(f): 8:10pm On Apr 02, 2016
Nice one... Thumbs up Op!

May God bestow upon us the grace for rightful living... Amen!

11 Likes

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by asalimpo(m): 8:16pm On Apr 02, 2016
Annunaki:
6. Twisting scriptures
There are several false doctrines being peddled around the church today which partly accounts for the proliferation of churches. A very good example of a false doctrine derived from twisting scriptures is the tithe doctrine which is very popular in our churches today yet the bible makes it clear that it is a sin to add to or take away from scriptures.
tithe isnt a twist of scripture.
do your research.
And why do christians argue about tithe, its because they want to keep all to themselves. Greedy, clawing people.
They're not arguing for an opportunity to give more! which ultimately is a proof of doubt in God's ability to provide.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 02, 2016
Nice post and so true
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by DharmyYinks: 10:19pm On Apr 02, 2016
Annunaki:
6. Twisting scriptures
Tithe is not a twist of the scripture! If u read d Book of Numbers, u'll know that 10% is a little thing compared to the offerings d Israelites give on "fixed" times.

Change ur notion towards tithing... It's only a foolish person who will not give back to God

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by DharmyYinks: 10:26pm On Apr 02, 2016
ButterFlyEffect:
Nice post and so true
Thanks! Nice hair!!
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Nobody: 10:33pm On Apr 02, 2016
DharmyYinks:

Thanks! Nice hair!!

Thank you
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by DharmyYinks: 12:13am On Apr 03, 2016
ButterFlyEffect:

Thank you
U wlc

Lalasticlala.. Happy 1st Sunday
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by malvisguy212: 12:56am On Apr 03, 2016
If I am saved, why do I still sin? Why do I have
such a problem with sin while I am here on
earth? Why am I still troubled with impure
thoughts? Why do I sometimes do what I know
is wrong? Why do I sometimes fail to do what I
know is right? Why do I continue to battle with
temptations? Why do I sometimes live and act
like an unsaved person (see 1 Cor. 3:3), even
though it grieves me and saddens me when I
live this way? In 2 cor 5:17 it say the believers has a NEW NATURE. Now that I have a new nature, what has happened to my old sinful nature? Did it disappear? Was it transformed from something evil to something good? Was it totally removed? Was it partially removed? If the believer says that he has no sin (no sin
nature), is he telling the truth or is he deceiving
himself ? Bible say in 1 john 1:8-10

8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive
ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we
confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will
forgive us our sins and purify us from all
unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not
sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his
word is not in us.

The old sinful nature has not been eradicated
or removed. It is still present with the believer.
James 3:2 refers to believers and it says, "For in many things we offend all" or literally "For in
many things we all offend." The word "offend"
means that we all stumble, fall short, and go
astray. We all fail and fall. Even as believers we all have sinned. We all offend, and therefore we all are in desperate need of the mercy and grace of God and in desperate need of His forgiveness and cleansing. In 1 peter 5:8 the bible say BEWERE. If you are save and the sinful nature is removed completely, WHY BEWERE ?

Paul, as a saved man, made the following
amazing statements:

Romans 7:14-25
14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am
unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not
understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[ c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. 21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature[ d] a slave to the law of sin.

A save man has TWO nature, Good and bad, the one you feed the most will dominate your life.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Nobody: 10:00am On Apr 03, 2016
Lying while making calls

2 Likes

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by pendusky(m): 10:00am On Apr 03, 2016
listening
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Nobody: 10:01am On Apr 03, 2016
Op you miss the most common one- fornication. 95% of christains fornicate. While the other 5% can't find who to bleep.

13 Likes

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Dahkogrin007(m): 10:01am On Apr 03, 2016
Happy Sunday
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Baylam(m): 10:01am On Apr 03, 2016
Annunaki:
6. Twisting scriptures
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Nobody: 10:02am On Apr 03, 2016
OK
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Nobody: 10:05am On Apr 03, 2016
And to forget fornication

3 Likes

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by babyfaceafrica: 10:07am On Apr 03, 2016
DharmyYinks:

Tithe is not a twist of the scripture! If u read d Book of Numbers, u'll know that 10% is a little thing compared to the offerings d Israelites give on "fixed" times.

Change ur notion towards tithing... It's only a foolish person who will not give back to God
you must be a pastor.....giving to the needy is better
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by maestroferddi: 10:07am On Apr 03, 2016
You missed the most prevalent/rife of them all.

The biggest sin in the body of Christ today is the most obvious.

It is LYING.

There is an increasing dearth of sincerity and integrity in the church today.

False testimonies, unearned/undeserved titles, mindless exaggerations, outright manipulation of the congregation and other sharp practices are gradually growing roots in today's church.

The Lord will preserve His church. The spirit of righteousness and truth will reign again in the body of Christ because God's mercies endureth forever.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Nobody: 10:07am On Apr 03, 2016
Hmmm...
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by datola: 10:08am On Apr 03, 2016
Coveting is so rampant among we Christians. The height of it is when a church is coveting other church's members in the name of evangelism. We are to reach out to sinners and lead them to Christ.

"But covet earnestly the best gift: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way" 1 Cor.12:31

6 Likes

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by holluwai(m): 10:08am On Apr 03, 2016
Gossiping = Linda ikeji

2 Likes

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Nobody: 10:08am On Apr 03, 2016

May God help us all
Anyway, just pasing by....

So...

Anyways...

DrabeeyWasHere

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by babyfaceafrica: 10:09am On Apr 03, 2016
DharmyYinks:

you must be a pastor.....so some people can actually quote old testament when it comes to tithe ,but when it pertains to other discussions like an arm for an arm and marrying more than one wives ,some will say that was before Jesus come.....a good lot of christains quote the bible to soothe themselves

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by 9airaland(f): 10:09am On Apr 03, 2016
Evrry time i m do all of ds, i know i am commiting sins
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Nobody: 10:09am On Apr 03, 2016
Predicting death for the other
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by ceejay80s(m): 10:11am On Apr 03, 2016
DharmyYinks:

In this our present time, when has God come down from heaven to collect the tithe ?
Continue trecking and pastors will be buying jets and building universities even ur children can't afford to attend

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by gameboy727(m): 10:11am On Apr 03, 2016
Yeah. May the grace of God be on us all to realize when we've done wrong and ask for forgiveness.
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by winner01(m): 10:11am On Apr 03, 2016
God is good

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by truthspeaks: 10:11am On Apr 03, 2016
Spreading propaganda
canymix:
And to forget fornication
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Nobody: 10:12am On Apr 03, 2016
How about fornication and adultery?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Samuel Akinbodunse: Next President Of Nigeria Is A Youth, Name Starts With 'S' / See Throwback Photo Of Pastor Chris Oyakhilome And His Daughters / "TB Joshua Predicted The Paris Terrorist Attack"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.