Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,803 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:07 PM

Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov (26297 Views)

Photos Of The Oil Workers, UNIMAID Staff Before They Were Abducted By Boko Haram / Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram —borno Gov. / Jonathan Only Called Me 19 Days After Chibok Girls’ Abduction — Borno Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by theshadyexpress(m): 9:41am On Apr 03, 2016

Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno State has said he did not call former President Goodluck Jonathan to brief him after Boko Haram abducted over 200 school girls from Chibok, because he knew that security agencies must have briefed the president of the development the day it happened.

Mr. Shettima said as president, Mr. Jonathan had wide resources to keep him abreast of serious national security issues on a daily basis.

Mr. Shettima was responding to an inquiry from PREMIUM TIMES which sought to determine why the governor waited for almost three weeks expecting the president to reach out to him over a major incident that happened in his domain.

The governor had said recently that Mr. Jonathan took 19 days to telephone him to ask about the abduction.

He made the remark while receiving former President Olusegun Obasanjo whom he praised as having a better record of contacting governors of crisis- prone states on a daily basis.

“In our own case, Your Excellency, after the Chibok abduction of over 200 schoolgirls in April, 2014, it took 19 days for me to receive a call from the Presidency,” Mr. Shettima said to Mr. Obasanjo.
Analysts have accused the governor of not also taking the security of his state serious enough to have to wait for the president to call, and not contact him immediately.

In his response to PREMIUM TIMES on Saturday, Mr. Shettima, who is currently attending the second term inauguration of President Mahamadou Issoufou in Niger Republic, said he immediately launched efforts to rescue the girls, and became too busy to reach out to the president.

He said he knew the president must have been made aware already since there was a state of emergency already in place in the state long before the kidnap.
Mr. Shettima spoke through his Special Adviser on Communication, Isa Gusau, who assured us his comments were the governor’s position.

Mr. Gusau said he “had it on good authority that President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan was well briefed by security agencies soon after the abduction and this is to be expected given the magnitude and for the fact that as at that time, Borno was under a State of Emergency as declared by the president, which made him directly in charge of security issues in Borno and happenings there”.

“So, ‎when the Chibok abduction took place on April 14, 2014, Governor Kashim Shettima who is Chairman of the State Security Councils remained within Borno State as he was expected to do, to build public confidence and presided over series of daily security council meetings held at the Government House in Maiduguri to analyze the situation and developments, to identify strategies and to coordinate deployment of security responses to containing the emergency,” he said.

Mr. Shettima also said that the normal practice over the years in Nigeria was that the president would be the one to call a state governor to find out how he could help if there was an emergency situation.
“The practice in Nigeria is that when emergency security situations happen in any of the 36 States, the president does not rely on governors for security briefings, he relies on daily situation report and also he invites service chiefs and heads of key intelligence establishments like the Department of State Security Services and National Intelligence Agency as well, for information that may include what a governor may not even be in position to know because there are certain classified information that only the president is told even when they affect a particular state whose governor is kept in the dark.

“What happens in our unwritten protocol in Nigeria is that, in event of major security problems, it is the president that summons a governor or calls him on phone or directs the Vice President to call on his behalf for sympathy, seek additional information where necessary and to assure or discuss aspects that require Federal intervention. Governors don’t rush to the Villa during emergencies, they remain in their respective States to provide leadership because their presence means so much in managing situations.”
Mr. Shettima said Mr. Jonathan could not have feigned ignorance of the development because he had made several media interviews and offered a reward of ₦50 million for accurate information about the whereabouts of the girls.

“After a security meeting on April 16, 2014, Governor Kashim Shettima had addressed the Press same day, (April 16, 2014) which was two days after the Chibok incident during which he announced a N50million reward on information that could lead to freeing the schoolgirls and this was widely reported by the media within and outside Nigeria. So, there was general public knowledge about the incident not to talk of the president knowing about it.

“The Governor simply concentrated on working with security agencies, the civilian JTF, hunters and local community leaders in Chibok on finding ways of freeing the schoolgirls. Till date, only Governor Kashim Shettima and his wife visited Chibok after that incident, no body went from the Federal level to meet the parents throughout the Jonathan era.”

On allegations that the he was complicit in the abduction of the girls because he ordered WAEC officials to proceed with the exams in defiance of all security warnings, Mr. Shettima dismissed the allegation as “malicious”.

“The issue of saying there were reports against holding WAEC in the Chibok School was just a propaganda orchestrated by actors under the Jonathan administration in order to shift blame on Borno State Government and if you cast your mind back, you would understand that the whole propaganda only began in May, 2014, when wife of President Barack Obama was shown participating in the ‘Bring Back Our Girls’ global protest which made the Jonathan Presidency to come under criticism from the international community. The FG didn’t show any concern before May, 2014 whereas the abduction took place on April 14, 2014.

“To start with ‎if it was true that the Government Secondary School, Chibok, was considered unsafe to the point that the Borno State Government was warned against holding the exams there, why would parents of the school who live within the same “unsafe” Chibok, allow their children to be in that school at that time? If the Borno Government was reckless enough to care less of the safety of the gilrs what about parents of the girls? They also didn’t care or what?

“Truth is that Chibok was one of the places that had no known security threats as at the time the abduction took place. Chibok had virtually no record of attacks before that incident. No one anticipated that attack just like no Nigerian could have anticipated attacks on the secured Police Headquarters in Abuja by the Boko Haram in 2012. ‎
“Before Belgium was attacked recently, it wasn’t among areas in Europe vulnerable to terrorist attacks. As events have shown, terrorists seem to target areas less expected of them to attack than places considered vulnerable. If GSS Chibok was marked as unsafe, the WAEC wouldn’t have sent their officials there to conduct the exams neither would parents have lived in Chibok. Everyone would have fled. We all know that WAEC had officials conducting exams in Chibok while residents didn’t flee the Communities. We have reasons to believe that the Boko Haram targeted Chibok because it was one of the places they were not expected to attack given records of their presence and attacks across Borno State.”

Mr. Shettima, however, acknowledged that a security alert did go out prior to the incident, but quickly added that it was ambiguous.

“It is however true that there were security concerns raised by the WAEC on the need for security to be provided in all examination centres without any emphasis on GSS, Chibok.

“In a letter addressed to the late Deputy Governor of Borno State, Zannah Umar Mustapha, who was presiding over the matter, with reference number MD/ZO/OA/10/203, dated March 19, 2014, signed by F.M Gaiya, zonal coordinator, the WAEC had raised issues of security which it did by requesting the Borno Government to provide security in all the centres in Maiduguri, Biu, Askira, Lassa and Chibok, which the Borno State Government promptly acted upon by writing a letter to the Borno State Commissioner of Police request adequate security in all examination centres (as the attachment here would show). The WAEC was never specific on Chibok because there was no fears of imminent attack on Chibok and if there was, WAEC wouldn’t have contemplated the exam there at least for safety of its own staff.
“The Borno State Government had in response, written a letter ‎dated March 20, 2014, with reference number SEC/282/GH/T.I/109, signed by the Chief Admin Officer, Special Services (Security) at the Government House in Maiduguri, M.M Gana, addressed to the then Borno State Police Commissioner, Lawal Tanko requesting for security to be provided to all examination centres in Borno State, that include Chibok but also without any specific fears on imminent attack on Chibok.

“A Presidential Fact-finding committee on the Chibok abduction which was set up by President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan which had members including friends of President Jonathan and serving security officials had examined all documents and correspondences between the Borno Government and WAEC and I don’t think anyone doubts the sincerity of Governor Kashim Shettima in all that happened.

“It is unfortunate that the abduction took place ‎and so was the politics that was brought into it. Governor Shettima recollected that matter because he was dealing with President Olusegun Obasanjo whose voice has been consistent on the Chibok schoolgirls abduction.”

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/201163-i-not-call-jonathan-chibok-girls-abducted-boko-haram-borno-governor-shettima.html

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by funnynation(m): 9:47am On Apr 03, 2016
I swear the kind thunder wey go fire Mr. Shettima no get break. Make una leave GEJ alone nah.. Who come be the wailing wailer? Yes.. He no win election and una no fit allow the man get rest of mind again? Make we dey think of the future.. Lets join hand 2geda and know how things fit take better under dis Fulani man..

I dedicate this page to Manxity02, daddysprincess, varagous and spicylate.. I love you all..

Nairaland official comedian

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by Nobody: 9:53am On Apr 03, 2016
Shettima must be the definition of the word Stupidd.

Imagine if he is the manager of Dangote Group in NW region and BH attacks their facilities. The question will be

Is it Dangote that will call the branch manager to get the full scale of report?

Will he sit down and do nothing because he THINKS the security agents of the company has brief Dangote

Who supervises that security men in that company?

Shettimma is just part of the problem of what is wrong with this country. Illiterates filling position of trust

321 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by x6blade(m): 9:55am On Apr 03, 2016
Apology after death

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by makingsense(m): 9:58am On Apr 03, 2016
He was just waiting for his goons to take them far and organize themselfs

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by nnachukz(m): 10:14am On Apr 03, 2016
Only one genuine reason made him not to call Abuja immediately those girls were taken. That reason is "to make sure they were not rescued, because he is the grand planner of the abduction just for political reason known to him and some few APC members. A call to Abuja immediately may have resulted to immediate action that might lead to their rescue. He started talking about it when he was sure the plans have been perfected and those girls cannot be found again.

208 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by yarimo(m): 10:23am On Apr 03, 2016
Mr Governor because ur children are not among that is y abi?

73 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by dikeigbo2(m): 10:32am On Apr 03, 2016
This governor must be high on burukutu,that shows the level of deceptions going on in that region,.. So if his wife does something very stupid, so he will calmly wait for his in laws to call him and ask abi?...just looking for a sosftlanding ..ba!...taking his people for a ride since time immemorial.....

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by abacrested(f): 10:34am On Apr 03, 2016
Whether you like or not we had two governments under Gej.
One is legitimate and answerable to the electorates and headed by Gej while the other is in the north headed by northerners which all their leaders were answerable to.
The northern government was working hard to discredit the legitimate government of Gej so as to get power back to the north which they succeeded with the help of the sophisticated south west.
Imagine what a governor is saying!

184 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by chigoizie7(m): 10:37am On Apr 03, 2016
Serious?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by stillchris: 10:51am On Apr 03, 2016
you why the North is cursed to fail till eternity.

who should get first hand information from your state immediately something bad happens.

gradually they are exposing themselves and very soon the world will know that chibok was a scam planned to ouster a sitting government with help from southern traitors like amaechi and that ugly monkey woman ezekwesilly.

it's a pity that the colonial masters forced this marriage on us.

no light, no fuel, cost of living has skyrocket, jobs are being lost every month, we have a tourist president who wants to travel roumd the world in 80 days with only pictures to show us as achievements, and some fools will come here and tell us to be patient.

they claim to be fighting corruption but what we see are media trials. this week efcc will claim to find $1 million in a soakaway with no pictorial proof. not even in court.

i can imagine a lot of kids who are yet to fend for themselves making up the zombies pack so i'm not bothered.

i feel this is my punishment for blindly voting this bastard of a president. a cow that will not sit in one place and solve our problems.

abeg how many countries has the tanzanian president visited before the breeze of change is starting to blow there.

this heat is making my blood boil i swear

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by Vado(m): 11:38am On Apr 03, 2016
Imagine this failed attempt at justifying his inherent hatred for GEJ's administration. Who the hell is the chief security of a state for fccks sake? Whose responsibility was it to brief the president? These guys are so irrational and backward in thinking I feel sorry and depressed for them.

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by mideactive: 11:47am On Apr 03, 2016
Very silly n non Nonchalant attitude frm d chief security officer of a state.u would av done far more better if ur children wer involved,I'm sure u even play wit ur money like dat.human lives means nothing 2 dis evil men.shame!hw did we come across devils as leaders?may God save us frm evil men..

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by codedguy1(m): 11:54am On Apr 03, 2016
Chai we have suffered in this country with the type of leadership that somehow emerge to manage our affairs.

Am talking about the likes of this goat of a governor, GEJ himself, Buhari and a host them.

This attempt by shettima to justify the nonsense he said even makes him look more stvpid.

Its just a shame!

25 Likes

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by poiZon: 12:21pm On Apr 03, 2016
the princpal's daughter was not kidnapped even though she schooled at chibok, d only thing am happy is that gej lost, n d country is not better as people thought thatonce pdp leaves naija will change to paris.
gej u came, u saw n u left HONOURABLY.

98 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by theshadyexpress(m): 2:23pm On Apr 03, 2016
lalasticlala your attention is needed here

1 Like

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by kozmokaz(m): 2:27pm On Apr 03, 2016
imagine tenants bin the one to call the land lord... wen caretaker still dey d same compound ?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by Destinyfavour(m): 2:56pm On Apr 03, 2016
The governor has no shame at all. Imagine waiting for the president to call him first. Now i know why chibok girls are yet to be foun if truly they are missing. God save naija from enemies within: hausa fulanis. Amen

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by Destinyfavour(m): 2:56pm On Apr 03, 2016
The governor has no shame at all. Imagine waiting for the president to call him first. Now i know why chibok girls are yet to be found if truly they are missing. God save naija from enemies within: hausa fulanis. Amen

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by BushidoBlue(m): 3:07pm On Apr 03, 2016
abacrested:
Whether you like or not we had two governments under Gej.
One is legitimate and answerable to the electorates and headed by Gej while the other is in the north headed by northerners which all their leaders were answerable to.
The northern government was working hard to discredit the legitimate government of Gej so as to get power back to the north which they succeeded with the help of the sophisticated south west.
Imagine what a governor is saying!

74 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by babyphaze07(m): 3:07pm On Apr 03, 2016
“To start with if it was true that the Government Secondary School, Chibok, was considered unsafe to the point that the Borno State Government was warned against holding the exams there, why would parents of the school who live within the same “unsafe” Chibok, allow their children to be in that school at that time? If the Borno Government was reckless enough to care less of the safety of the gilrs what about parents of the girls? They also didn’t care or what?
The truth is finally out and GEJ vindicated. Zombies you see yourself.......

28 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by juman(m): 3:11pm On Apr 03, 2016
That time the federal government warned about the potential danger, but the governor did not heed the warning.

10 Likes

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by henrysam(m): 4:38pm On Apr 03, 2016
This shows the issue of Chibok girls was well planned by the north to oust GEJ
The shame that APC will witness before 2019 is still dancing azonto.
Time will tell. You can not get to a throne through lies propaganda and destruction of other people and believe you will succeed
Karma awaits them

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by odinese(m): 4:47pm On Apr 03, 2016
[size=15pt]becos bubu told u not to do so.
Finish!
[/size]

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by MadCow1: 4:47pm On Apr 03, 2016
Lol. . Continu
Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by Etizz: 4:49pm On Apr 03, 2016
He has absolutely no excuse

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by ThaPatriot(m): 4:52pm On Apr 03, 2016
G
Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by Funmiladey(m): 4:54pm On Apr 03, 2016
Fedayeen:
Shettima must be the definition of the word Stupidd.

Imagine if he is the manager of Dangote Group in NW region and BH attacks their facilities. The question will be

Is it Dangote that will call the branch manager to get the full scale of report?

Will he sit down and do nothing because he THINKS the security agents of the company has brief Dangote

Who supervises that security men in that company?

Shettimma is just part of the problem of what is wrong with this country. Illiterates filling position of trust

I stopped reading the article when I realised that a state of emergency wa in place when the incident happened, how on earth will a governor still be governing with a state of emergency in place, I think uncle JO got it wrong there too. No justification for the Gov. For nt callin as well

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by hobermener: 4:54pm On Apr 03, 2016
Seems these "naught'erners" wouldn't stop masturbating over gej even after he humbly bowed outta the stage for their daura god

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by moyinoluwabun(m): 4:54pm On Apr 03, 2016
Shettima is a fool. Who's d chief security of d state? So, he wanted those under him to do his work for him? What happen to d proverb which says hearing from d horse's mouth?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by ajepako(f): 4:54pm On Apr 03, 2016
Shebi l have always said that we shall know the truth about boko haram and chibok abduction some day?

The truth gradually coming to light...

Still awaiting more.....

6 Likes

Re: Why I Didn’t Call GEJ After Chibok Girls Were Abducted By Boko Haram — Borno Gov by yungpowers(m): 4:54pm On Apr 03, 2016
idiat

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senator John Shagaya Dies In Accident (Photo) / Peter Obi, Lord Maryland Of Odstock Meet In Lagos (Photos) / Nigerian Army To Increase Personnel Strength To 200,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.