Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,182 members, 7,807,581 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

Wiring Circuit Diagram For Inverter, Grid And Generator - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Wiring Circuit Diagram For Inverter, Grid And Generator (12575 Views)

How To Make Laser Security Alarm Circuit / In Need Of This Asus Circuit Board (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wiring Circuit Diagram For Inverter, Grid And Generator by ifenadi(m): 9:49am On Apr 03, 2016
Wiring circuit diagram for Inverter, grid and Generator

Re: Wiring Circuit Diagram For Inverter, Grid And Generator by ifenadi(m): 10:03am On Apr 03, 2016
ifenadi:
Wiring circuit diagram for Inverter, grid and Generator

I am looking for a way to wire my inverter system to National grid in such a way that some parts of the home get uninterrupted power from the inverter when the NEPA fails.

When there is NEPA, it will charge my batteries via inverter and supplies current to all appliances in the home.

When there is no NEPA, only the portion of the home which are connected to inverter gets powers as I don't want to connect heavy load appliances like fridge and AC to inverter.

This diagram actually serves the purpose perfectly.

My only concern now is that if I decide to replace the power supply with generator as NEPA can fail sometimes.
When you look at the diagram, you will noticed that somehow, the neutral output of the inverter is connected to the input. A neutral is always a neutral and serves to return current no matter how it is connected. Now in the case of generator, what if somehow, the live wire and the neural is swapped(which always occur becuase most times we just insert two wires inside generator's output without considering the polarity), will this diagram still work? Will there be any damage to the inverter?

Please gurus, I need your views
Re: Wiring Circuit Diagram For Inverter, Grid And Generator by ifenadi(m): 10:14am On Apr 03, 2016
Cc
zeestone99
Spinola
kiekie1
evergreen247
femiolorun
adanny01
chris81964
seun
durodee
Nobody
carolyn19
zeestone99
mkmyers45
Ujsizzle
Maleeq
Skydancer
Re: Wiring Circuit Diagram For Inverter, Grid And Generator by adanny01(m): 1:52pm On Apr 03, 2016
ifenadi:

I am looking for a way to wire my inverter system to National grid in such a way that some parts of the home get uninterrupted power from the inverter when the NEPA fails.

When there is NEPA, it will charge my batteries via inverter and supplies current to all appliances in the home.

When there is no NEPA, only the portion of the home which are connected to inverter gets powers as I don't want to connect heavy load appliances like fridge and AC to inverter.

This diagram actually serves the purpose perfectly.

My only concern now is that if I decide to replace the power supply with generator as NEPA can fail sometimes.
When you look at the diagram, you will noticed that somehow, the neutral output of the inverter is connected to the input. A neutral is always a neutral and serves to return current no matter how it is connected. Now in the case of generator, what if somehow, the live wire and the neural is swapped(which always occur becuase most times we just insert two wires inside generator's output without considering the polarity), will this diagram still work? Will there be any damage to the inverter?

Please gurus, I need your views

Dont take anything am about to say as the facts but as my 2 cents.

Most home A/C appliances that i have seen tolerate live and neutral exhange. The inverter i expect to work fine.

The only thing that is dangerous is that only the live is usually fused, as such anything could happen to your inverter or other appliances. The risks are too much foe you to make such mistakes.

The only thing missing from the diagram is the need for a second distribution box for supplying inverter live to selected points.

My parent's house is under construction and i have gone back to install a smaller DB for inverter loads. This DB was wired in such a way that it is easy to isolate any room or section of the house by simply switching of its MCB. Eg. Guest room MCB is always off till needed. All ceiling fans and interior lighting points are powered from the inverter DB and only 2 sockets at TV sockets of the 2 living area. In the living rooms and dinning where there are 2 light sources (chandelier and wall ligthing units, only one of the 2 is on inverter and the other to main DB.

1 Like

Re: Wiring Circuit Diagram For Inverter, Grid And Generator by cassidy1996(m): 3:14pm On Apr 03, 2016
nice Job....keep it up
Re: Wiring Circuit Diagram For Inverter, Grid And Generator by zeestone99(m): 3:30pm On Apr 03, 2016
Just like addany said, all u need to do is load separation, that's all, you remove the selected points/load that u want inverter to supply from ur breaker in ur DB. Then put those selected load in anoda smaller db, this ll b ur inverter load. You ll also need another knife switch. When there is no nepa or gen, only the loads in the smaller db gets light from inverter.
Re: Wiring Circuit Diagram For Inverter, Grid And Generator by ifenadi(m): 12:28pm On Apr 04, 2016
Thanks for your advice . This actually cleared my doubt. So I wouldn't be worried if the neutral output from the inverter even when the current polarity is reversed.
adanny01:

The only thing missing from the diagram is the need for a second distribution box for supplying inverter live to selected points.

And for the quoted, I intend to use the same distribution box for that as my DB is three phase. I will remove a jumper wires that was used to connect all the phases together and use two phases for inverter supply and one for NEPA supply. Getting a new DB will make wiring a little cumbersome for me

1 Like

Re: Wiring Circuit Diagram For Inverter, Grid And Generator by ifenadi(m): 12:34pm On Apr 04, 2016
zeestone99:
Just like addany said, all u need to do is load separation, that's all, you remove the selected points/load that u want inverter to supply from ur breaker in ur DB. Then put those selected load in anoda smaller db, this ll b ur inverter load. You ll also need another knife switch. When there is no nepa or gen, only the loads in the smaller db gets light from inverter.

At what point did you advise I should put the suggested extra knife edge.

I intend to run this thing today
Re: Wiring Circuit Diagram For Inverter, Grid And Generator by zeestone99(m): 6:56pm On Apr 04, 2016
ifenadi:

At what point did you advise I should put the suggested extra knife edge.
I intend to run this thing today
I tink u shud call a professional, inverters are very sensitive device.
Re: Wiring Circuit Diagram For Inverter, Grid And Generator by Barezzi(m): 1:17pm On Jan 12, 2019
Hello Ifenadi,
How did it go with this?
How did you handle the neutrals?
ifenadi:
...I intend to use the same distribution box for that as my DB is three phase. I will remove a jumper wires that was used to connect all the phases together and use two phases for inverter supply and one for NEPA supply. Getting a new DB will make wiring a little cumbersome for me

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy / Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! / Bill Gates Condemns iPad, Says Lots Of Users Are Frustrated"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.