Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,552 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:53 PM

Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. (19114 Views)

Brazil And AC Milan Legend Kaka Announces Retirement (pics) / From Football To Tennis: Legendary Italy And AC Milan Footballer Paolo Maldini Q / Maldini Says "No" To AC Milan's Offer As Technical Director, Explains Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by Bishop(m): 2:14pm On Apr 03, 2016
Sad to hear the passing of Cesare Maldini this morning.

At club level, Maldini won 4 Serie A league titles and 1 European Cup with Milan. Internationally, he played for the Italian national team, earning 14 caps and participating in the 1962 World Cup. As a coach, he had a successful career in charge of the Italian Under-21 side, winning the European Under-21 Football championship a record three consecutive times.

He was Married to Maria Luisa bearing six sons, one was Paolo a defender who once held the record for the most caps for the Italian national team (now third behind Gianluigi Buffon and Fabio Cannavaro). Paolo Maldini captained Milan to the UEFA Champions League title in 2003 and 2007. Maldini's grandsons, Christian and Daniel also play football in Milan junior teams.

Milan said in a statement: “AC Milan sends its condolences to the Maldini following the passing of Rossoneri great Cesare Maldini. Cesare skippered the club to its first European Cup triumph in 1963 at Wembley and the loss of such a key figure in Rossoneri history has left everyone at AC Milan moved and saddened. Cesare had recently turned 84 and he left his mark at the club not only as a player, but also as a coach and scout. The club president Silvio Berlusconi and the rest of the club will always remember fondly his charisma, kindness and warm smile.”

Football has also reacted to this saddened news. Tweets:

"Our hearts are broken. The Milan world is in mourning for Cesare Maldini. #RIPCesare pic.twitter.com/LnPU0e0VDu"
— AC Milan NYC (@ACMilanNYC) April 3, 2016

"#CesareMaldini has passed away; a minute's silence will take place before all matches: /1TsP7Un pic.twitter.com/TrH4GXb4OF "
—Italy (@azzurri) April 3, 2016

"AC Milan great Cesare Maldini has died aged 84. In 1963 he became the first Italian to lift the European Cup. pic.twitter.com/OgDoAZ6ZAD "
— Champions League (@Championsleague) April 3, 2016

"#CesareMaldini rest in peace and condolence to the #Maldini family @acmilan clzp.co/L5Z1"
— Ruud Gullit (GullitR) April 3, 2016

AC Milan tweeted:"Goodbye dear Cesare. Today the world loses a great man and we lose a page of our history."

RIP Cesare. WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU

Source:globalsoccerforum

2 Likes

Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by dominique(f): 3:31pm On Apr 03, 2016
Paolo Maldini really father's footstep. What a proud father he must have been. He will surely be missed by the Milanos especially the Rosonneri.

27 Likes

Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by akpumping7720(m): 3:34pm On Apr 03, 2016
R.I.P to the first Italian to lift the European Cup!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by Damilare5882(m): 3:34pm On Apr 03, 2016
rip bro
Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by Olukokosir(m): 3:35pm On Apr 03, 2016
Legendary ....RIP

1 Like

Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by kinziking(m): 3:36pm On Apr 03, 2016
R.I.P
Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by yungryce: 3:36pm On Apr 03, 2016
R.I.P to the dead. see as one family take carry talents
Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by adebaxton(m): 3:36pm On Apr 03, 2016
Once a Rossoneri, Always a Rossoneri. Adieu Cesare

5 Likes

Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by Kommen(m): 3:36pm On Apr 03, 2016
grin
shocked
This babe dey watch ball shocked
Will you marry me tongue
Answer mi before I marry another grin
dominique:
Paolo Maldini really father's footstep. What a proud father he must have been. He will surely be missed by the Milanos especially the Rosonneri.

2 Likes

Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by modath(f): 3:37pm On Apr 03, 2016
, RIP... All round success.... Trophy winning player & coach, Father to another living legend in Paolo!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by Flexherbal(m): 3:37pm On Apr 03, 2016
RIP. Thank God he made an impact before departing the worls.
Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by chimah3(m): 3:37pm On Apr 03, 2016
Chai! He lived anyway
Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by Nobody: 3:37pm On Apr 03, 2016
There were pple tweeting about it today but I was to busy on Linda and Wizkid's issue that I didn't pay attention.
Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by gasgenius(m): 3:38pm On Apr 03, 2016
Rip .... Ball hard over there
Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by rellawyt(f): 3:38pm On Apr 03, 2016
Who he help?
Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by akpumping7720(m): 3:39pm On Apr 03, 2016
kennygee:
There were pple tweeting about it today but I was to busy on Linda and Wizkid's issue that I didn't pay attention.

sowi dear!
Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by YourCoffin: 3:39pm On Apr 03, 2016
I don't know the first Maldini but I know Paolo. He and Thuram were my favourite defender when I used to play PS1. May the dead rest in peace

10 Likes

Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by ChukwuCantDie: 3:39pm On Apr 03, 2016
Why is this rubbish on the front page?
Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by Jorussia(m): 3:39pm On Apr 03, 2016
never knew Paolo maldini's father was a footballer. I will die someday,that is why i beg God in prayers virtually every day to help me actualise all the plans that i have for my generation.Rip cesare

2 Likes

Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by pyyxxaro: 3:39pm On Apr 03, 2016
Ok
Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by akpumping7720(m): 3:39pm On Apr 03, 2016
rellawyt:
Who he help?
Italy, A.C Milan, his son and grandsons!!!

6 Likes

Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by ronaldbecky(m): 3:40pm On Apr 03, 2016
na paulo maldini i know
Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by OlimehG(m): 3:40pm On Apr 03, 2016
Such is life.
Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by MarysMeal: 3:41pm On Apr 03, 2016
Rip Maldini Sir.

I only know of the legendary Paolo Maldini

2 Likes

Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by fulfillbill(m): 3:41pm On Apr 03, 2016
Chai a hero hath fallen

Live on!!
Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by damton(m): 3:42pm On Apr 03, 2016
g
Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by engrjacuzzi: 3:44pm On Apr 03, 2016
gone too soon Pa Maldini. Italy will win euro cup to mourn you.
Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by Hemanwel(m): 3:44pm On Apr 03, 2016
Cesare Maldini has died but his manhood lives on.
He was a club legend.
Forza Milano!Forza Rosonneri!
Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by Spybradd: 3:45pm On Apr 03, 2016
A legend he was and a legend he remains. Rip CESARE,football is going to miss you.
Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by clefstone(m): 3:47pm On Apr 03, 2016
84 is not bad at all. Hope he sees God

1 Like

Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by Sultanchidi(m): 3:47pm On Apr 03, 2016
dominique:
ar u really a gal, cus i av not seen a gal knowing detail abt football like dis or is ur guy an ac Milan fan

1 Like

Re: Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. by olowokandeadebo: 3:48pm On Apr 03, 2016
modath:
, RIP... All round success.... Trophy winning player & coach, Father to another living legend in Paolo!!
BROZ, is it USA 94 or ITALIAL 90

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rio 2016 Olympic Games Kick Off With Stunning Opening Ceremony (photos) / Nigeria Targets 11 Points To Qualify For World Cup - Rohr / Andrej Kramaric Confesses That He's Afraid Of Nigerian Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.