Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,245 members, 7,807,827 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted (34321 Views)

[opinion] Whatsapp Is The Worst: 8 Reasons You Should Ditch It / How To Find Your Encrypted Files On Gionee Android Devices / Whatsapp Is Down (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by centvin008(m): 7:03pm On Apr 05, 2016
Communications on WhatsApp are now fully end-to-end encrypted, the company announced today, completing an integration that has lasted for nearly a year and a half. The company began rolling out encrypting text messages in November 2014, as part of a partnership with Open Whisper Systems, but those protections now extend to voice calls, video, and multi-party chat rooms, for users on both iOS and Android.

Deploying universal encryption allows for a number of new protections. Once communications with a user are encrypted, the WhatsApp client will now notify the user and refuse to send any unencrypted messages, addressing previous concerns that the system might be vulnerable to a downgrade attack.

It's still hard to say for sure that WhatsApp is entirely immune to warrant requests. New attacks and vulnerabilities are common in the security world, and governments have been known to purchase and stockpile such attacks for law enforcement purposes. WhatsApp's system still manages messages centrally, coordinates key exchanges, and has significant control over the code that runs on both servers and phones, so any attacker with WhatsApp's cooperation would be well-placed to execute any newly devised attacks. Still, such an attack would likely require extraordinary cooperation from WhatsApp, akin to the measures demanded in Apple's San Bernardino case, measures that would be vigorously resisted in courts and elsewhere.

The result is strong security for WhatsApp users, and potentially a template that could be applied to other services going forward. Open Whisper's protocol is open source, and the group has pledged to help other messenger services employ the same protections going forward. "Over a billion monthly active users across the world are now using the Signal Protocol for end to end encryption," Open Whisper wrote in its blog post announcing the change. "Over the next year, we will continue to work with additional messengers to amplify the impact and scope of private communication even further."

https://m.soundcloud.com/whatstech/encryption-what-is-it-exactly-and-who-is-right-about-it
http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/5/11370106/whatsapp-messenger-end-to-end-encryption-open-whisper

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 05, 2016
Dearest Op what is End-to-end Encryption?

95 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by Nobody: 7:27pm On Apr 05, 2016
I almost freaked out when I got the msg via whatsapp chat

4 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by Nobody: 7:28pm On Apr 05, 2016
masterchi:
Dearest Op what is End-to-end
Encryption?
It means msgs u send via whatsapp chat are secured and of which other third parties can't read them.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by Paulpaulpaul(m): 7:29pm On Apr 05, 2016
No information is secured immediately it enters the air, Mark tell us another thing.

4 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by dayowunmi(m): 7:33pm On Apr 05, 2016
Let someone break it down in lay man's English, the post is riddled with technical jargons

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by guente02(m): 7:35pm On Apr 05, 2016
grayht:
It means msgs u send via whatsapp chat are secured and of which other third parties can't read them.
What do you mean by third parties?

4 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by Nobody: 7:36pm On Apr 05, 2016
grayht:
so third parties could read our messages before?

20 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by itstpia8: 7:37pm On Apr 05, 2016
and they had to quote Nietzche

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by itstpia8: 7:37pm On Apr 05, 2016
Paulpaulpaul:
No information is secured immediately it enters the air,

true that.

Some people are accessing it somewhere, for sure.

2 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by ojun50(m): 7:42pm On Apr 05, 2016
Pls where can i get fuel

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by Nobody: 7:42pm On Apr 05, 2016
guente02:

What do you mean by third parties?
An example of a third party is an application or a software program designed by a vendor other than the manufacturer of the device or application. For example, the iPhone comes with its own camera app, but there have been camera apps from third parties that offered advanced features such as a self timer and simple editing.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by Paulpaulpaul(m): 7:44pm On Apr 05, 2016
itstpia8:

true that.

Some people are accessing it somewhere, for sure.

Abi, encrypted or not, some will even be intercepted before it arrived it destination

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by guente02(m): 7:45pm On Apr 05, 2016
grayht:
An example of a third party is an application or a software program designed by a vendor other than the manufacturer of the device or application. For example, the iPhone comes with its own camera app, but there have been camera apps from third parties that offered advanced features such as a self timer and simple editing.
And hope is this encryption helpful?
Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by Nobody: 7:51pm On Apr 05, 2016
guente02:

Bros, biko I don't work for whatsapp. Maybe u shld ask Mark or query google.com

75 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by adefemi007(m): 7:58pm On Apr 05, 2016
guente02:
for keeping personal chats private
Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by itstpia8: 8:27pm On Apr 05, 2016
Paulpaulpaul:

Abi, encrypted or not, some will even be intercepted before it arrived it destination

Too true.
Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by JustCurious: 8:41pm On Apr 05, 2016
grayht:
Bros, biko I don't work for whatsapp. Maybe u shld ask Mark or query google.com

*falls from christmas tree* grin smiley

I was enjoying the conversation (educating)
until I saw this response. Lol! Please, buckle up and answer this question.

It's a new change on Whatsapp, and I was wondering why I got all of the whatsapp notifications, until I saw this post. Really, you've done so well explaining encrption, third parties etc.

12 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by Nobody: 9:18pm On Apr 05, 2016
JustCurious:

*falls from christmas tree* grin

I was enjoying the conversation (educating)
until I saw this response. Lol! Please, buckle up and answer this question.

It's a new change on Whatsapp, and I was wondering why I got all of the whatsapp notifications, until I saw this post. Really, you've done so well explaining encrption, third parties etc.
lol.. Thanks bro

2 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by fowosh: 10:34pm On Apr 05, 2016
well....a gud development
Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by donhils: 11:19pm On Apr 05, 2016
masterchi:
so third parties could read our messages before?
Exactly my question.

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by Izecson3D(m): 3:47am On Apr 06, 2016
Hmm. Ok o.
Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by yomalex(m): 5:53am On Apr 06, 2016
Good improvement
Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by ceejay80s(m): 6:53am On Apr 06, 2016
ojun50:
Pls where can i get fuel
Used or new fuel ? Just go to eBay.co.uk

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by dtruseeker(m): 7:04am On Apr 06, 2016
So u mean Duta will not work again?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by cirmuell(m): 8:31am On Apr 06, 2016
It depends on the type of device u're using. this feauture is just like the one on bbm.
Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by Nobody: 8:43am On Apr 06, 2016
I was scared wen I first saw it yesterday , I thought the person am trying to chat with has somehow block me so that he won't see my messages,,, then I was like "why this guy dey do like this, he was trying to ignore my messages wen am trying to give him an important message, abi he mistakenly activate it or something "
But I was relief wen he replied

3 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by Tonydeeb(m): 8:50am On Apr 06, 2016
Encryption?, if you don't have any sinister agenda up your sleeves, you wouldn't bother as to whether or not your chats are being monitored somewhere.
Not even our calls is safe in Nigeria, so to see people going head over heels is beyond me.
What do you stand to gain or lose, encrypted or not?.

6 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by Tosinville(m): 9:05am On Apr 06, 2016
Dem no just get wetin dem wan do again ni.

2 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by Nobody: 9:06am On Apr 06, 2016
ceejay80s:

Used or new fuel ? Just go to eBay.co.uk
Epic Response

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by Mopolchi: 9:09am On Apr 06, 2016
ok. WhatsApp knows that our messages are read and want to be IPad now. So for any security agency to collect any encrypted message, it will either go to court or pay WhatsApp. Good business.

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted by adorablepepple(f): 9:09am On Apr 06, 2016
BBM deleted

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Your Twitter App Still Loading? / This Application Is Used For Getting Nokia Master Code Automatically / How To Stop Pictures Posted On Your Whatsapp Group Chat From Saving In Y Gallery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.