Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,494 members, 7,808,831 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:36 PM

Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? (13392 Views)

10 Things To Never Say To Your Boss / Your Salary Is Not Enough If You Experience These Signs / You’ve A New Job & Your Salary Is 850k But Your Boss Insults You Too Much (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by Whizzdom(m): 9:12pm On Apr 07, 2016
Hello Nairalanders..

My sister works for this woman, who thinks she is smarter than everyone, it is a sole proprietorship business, the woman gives her (my sister) her salary on time whenever the month end.
Now the month of March as ended, we are now in April 7, and my sister need this money to run something urgently, but her boss as never talked about the salary.
My sister is wondering if it is ethical to ask her boss for the salary, or she should wait until she gives her.
Please Nairalanders, I need your advice.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by TheBossLadyK(f): 9:23pm On Apr 07, 2016
If what she need the money for is very very important, then their is a way she can talk to her madam about her salary, if the madam dey fear God she will comply, but if she don't have use of the money yet she should please hold on until she pay her her salary.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by Whizzdom(m): 9:30pm On Apr 07, 2016
TheBossLadyK:
If what she need the money for is very very important, then their is a way she can talk to her madam about her salary, if the madam dey fear God she will comply, but if she don't have use of the money yet she should please hold on until she pay her her salary.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by timilehin007(m): 6:11am On Apr 09, 2016
Since it's a sole proprietorship I will rather not ask. There's nothing you can do about it, you just gotta wait except you want to start hearing unpalatable words from her like this is not a govt firm nor a local govt kind of office..that's the kind of person my boss is. He pays u promptly the first 3months you joined and delay your subsequent salary for atleast 7-8days
But he will keep reminding you that he is aware you are due for payment but don't expect your salary just yet.
Actually he just paid me yesterday.. He pays anytime it pleases him Cux he can't deny the company is broke Cux I handle all the financial aspect of the company. God bless

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by alonzoiv(m): 6:12am On Apr 09, 2016
please, let her ask her employer for her salary, since its the first time such a thing is happening. it is better to ask and be told NO, than to be silent and assume she (the employer) will say NO or get annoyed that she's asking.

11 Likes

Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by wilcox(m): 6:12am On Apr 09, 2016
How long will you continue to wait? To me after one week when am supposed to be paid, if is not forth coming I will ask. Considering the fact that I have an urgent need for the money.

9 Likes

Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by pek(m): 6:15am On Apr 09, 2016
If she had been paying regularly, let her not ask yet. Maybe there is cash crunch and that's why there is the delay.

4 Likes

Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by LordIsaac(m): 6:15am On Apr 09, 2016
I feel a conscientous boss should not wait to be asked before explaining why there's a delay. From experience, not asking them spoils them as they feel they're gods who must not be challenged for that injustice. Let her walk up to her boss and ask for her pay politely; that's self dignity, and dignity of labour.

13 Likes

Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by dahdah: 6:16am On Apr 09, 2016
Well, It seems everyone seems to be affected by the situation of things in this Country, So far you said the Boss always pay for sister on time and she's only owing her for this month, lemme put myself in your sister's shoe, I'll first remind myself that she always pay me on time, and wait till the middle of this month to ask her . A good boss should talk to her employee why salary is being delayed.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by victorD3: 6:17am On Apr 09, 2016
She has always been paid on time so let her relax perhaps things isn't working too well with her boss.

1 Like

Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by nani212(m): 6:17am On Apr 09, 2016
Every labourer deserves his or her wages. Its already 7th and she hasn't been paid. Its her right to demand for her salary biko. If she skips work for 7 days without an explanation, will her boss understand?

14 Likes

Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by AyamConfidence(m): 6:20am On Apr 09, 2016
Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by babdap: 6:21am On Apr 09, 2016
Let her give her boss a little time she might be going through some financial difficulties. More so, this had never happen b4. Patience is a virtue

1 Like

Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by Santiago5(m): 6:22am On Apr 09, 2016
PLEASE DON'T ASK HER . BEING THE FIRST TIME MAY LATER CAUSE U YA JOB. NOT EVERYONE HAS FULL WISDOM. BUT I ADVICE YOU USE ATTITUDE TO ASK...... YOU KN WHAT I MEANT? YES ATTITUDE
Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by Joskiro50: 6:24am On Apr 09, 2016
I think the only thing a woman can do better than a man is 'wickedness'

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by tevanso(m): 6:27am On Apr 09, 2016
my boss has just completed the instalment payment of my February salary on Wednesday, don't even no when he is going to pay that of March.end time boss everywhere u go .may God helps us all and make us the boss too

6 Likes

Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by macaranta(m): 6:28am On Apr 09, 2016
Ask indirectly...
Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by babyfaceafrica: 6:30am On Apr 09, 2016
The boss should have been wise enough to tell her what is delaying the salary,people lack basic communication skills,that's why I will soon quit my present job,they refuse to tell you what's delaying your salary,its bad..just a some words like..I know you are due salary but somethings came up will be nice......kind words go a long way to settle the mind.....if she is not paid till 12th she should ask.....she worked for it!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by Olukokosir(m): 6:33am On Apr 09, 2016
Alaye, che ur sister no dey read news ni or u er say even civil servants don collect salary....

Meanwhile, no body or oga fit try am wf me ooo... I go do arrest am ni
Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by tevanso(m): 6:35am On Apr 09, 2016
Olukokosir:
Alaye, che ur sister no dey read news ni or u er say even civil servants don collect salary....

Meanwhile, no body or oga fit try am wf me ooo... I go do arrest am ni
for your mind ,u better thank God for what u gat
Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by Justicealh3(m): 6:37am On Apr 09, 2016
Same thread everytime. I'll not even ask or collectam sef.
Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by hopeforcharles(m): 6:43am On Apr 09, 2016
Your sister can use style tell her like this,
Goodmorning ma, please ma I have a serious problem, my sister is not well, my house rent is expired and there is this important need I have now, please ma I need help, something like that should be the way ur sister table it so that her madam heart will melt she won't see it as a threat.

5 Likes

Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by Laryne(m): 6:50am On Apr 09, 2016
Well I just got paid half of my February salary yesterday. ..
Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by LoremIpsum: 6:53am On Apr 09, 2016
Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by Generalkorex(m): 6:54am On Apr 09, 2016
Ok
Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by lollmaolol(m): 7:00am On Apr 09, 2016
Ask and it shall be given unto you, let her ask..it's long overdue, some pipu here have finished their march salary *just saying*
Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by habiham: 7:00am On Apr 09, 2016
Tell her to send her boss a text message that she needs money
Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by Inspectahdeck(m): 7:01am On Apr 09, 2016
Ask for your salary, it is your right. Please understand the mood of your boss before you ask such because one man business bosses feel they are god.
Also please get or formulate a good reason why you need the money urgently just incase she ask for a reason.

Just yesterday a minister said that Nigerians ought to pay monthly rent, I ask what happens in this case?
Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by Nobody: 7:02am On Apr 09, 2016
I pay regularly and I try to do it on time too but it happens once in a while that I totally forget about salary. That is why I encourage my staff (private/domestics not business) to remind me once it gets to the 4th. I won't take offence.

If your sister thinks her madam is going to be offended, let her go to madam and politely ask for a loan against her salary. That should remind madam that she's yet to be paid if she has forgotten or make madam speak up if she has issues with your sis or if madam has issues with her finances.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by Nobody: 7:06am On Apr 09, 2016
t
Re: Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? by driand(m): 7:10am On Apr 09, 2016
Too many irrelevant questions on NL...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Federal Job Or Private Job / House Of Representatives Intervenes In Diamond Bank Staff Retrenchment Dispute / Who Is Your Role Model?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.