Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:12 AM

"House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister (23680 Views)

"Igbos, Buhari Needs Your Support To Succeed" - FCT Minister, Musa Bello / FCT Minister Orders End To Cattle Grazing In Abuja City Centre / Dalung Breaks Ramadan Fast With Mohammed Bello, FCT Minister (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by zubby55(m): 11:07am On Apr 08, 2016
Mr minister is not possible cus u re the one that build the house the landlord can collect his house rent the way he wants.... Unless if it's a govt house
Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by Mackson01: 11:09am On Apr 08, 2016
Bull shit
Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by Springz(f): 11:10am On Apr 08, 2016
uzolexis:

You really need to travel and from the comments above many Nigerians need to leave the shores of this country to see how things are done, not even to Europe or other western countries but even African countries and we'll know for sure that we are learners in Nigeria (Ghana pays rent yearly too so dont go to ghana) but in most other African countries, rent is paid monthly not yearly and that is how it should be. How do landlords expect people to cough 2 years rent upfront, is that not wickedness
Yes in developed countries, they pay monthly, but you forgot to add that in those developed countries salaries are paid promptly. The reverse is the case here. For it to be implemented here, certain things have to be put in place Otherwise the aim will be defeated.

1 Like

Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by Reference(m): 11:24am On Apr 08, 2016
Springz:

Yes in developed countries, they pay monthly, but you forgot to add that in those developed countries salaries are paid promptly. The reverse is the case here. For it to be implemented here, certain things have to be put in place Otherwise the aim will be defeated.

Don't mind him. And there when your electricity bill is not paid you are cut off and remain in darkness. Here they will climb pole and reconnect illegally. There when your airtime is finished your phone goes dead, here mobile phone 'cheats' are even advertised. There when your house rent is due you pack out, here the next thing to do is to threaten the landlord, take his name to the shrine or prayer house or get a lawyer to defend you in court to remain on the property in perpetuity. Paying bills in Nigeria, a nation of rent seekers, subsidy thieves and free riders is alien so will paying house rent on a monthly basis. Who wants to die young.

3 Likes

Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by justmenoni: 11:36am On Apr 08, 2016
No mind the minister he's as high as highness... Compating Nigeria to Europe is like comparing water to fuel.

In Europe before you get an accommodation uou go know what's up and without having a job thrn you might be on a long thing or the government might help you out.

Yeah the rent is on monthly basis but in some parts of Europe u gotta deposit down 3 months house rent just incase of incasity, so if your house rent per month is 500 euros then you need a caution of 1500 euros and you can't move out just as you want (you need to give your landlord notice of 3 months in advance otherwise if you move out without paying your caution is gone and even if it's not enough the houseowner will take you to court and that's it..

If you damaged your Relationship with your last landlord then you're sure gonna find it hard getting anothet accommodation cos you always need to have like a positive reference from your former landlord.

All this is been done despite the fact that you can get benefits if you're jobless,this benefits includes accommodation allowance but thr govt won't give it to the landlords directly so there are usually still conflict.

Now can Mr minister tell us how this is practicable in Nigeria.

They shouldn't bother asking landlords to collect on monthly basis,what they need to do is build millions of apartment themselves Nd if possible collect rents on daily basis,let them do this and see if the landlords can do same.

pendusky:
He's making a mistake, it should be daily! undecided

The month you don't have, the landlord tru u out?

Comparing Nigeria to USA Pls civil servants when do you guys get alert? is it consistent?

when govt are owing for 5 months that means they should sleep outside coz definitely the landlord won't hesitate to do the needfull

Why are These ministers just dull in thinking like their master?

BTW what causing the hardship? Them, then what's the way forward? disaster...

3 weeks now, no light, fuel scarcity, etc...

Sai bubu till 2019 grin

1 Like

Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by AbuMaryam1(m): 11:39am On Apr 08, 2016
Finally the minister had spoken my mind. This is long over due, but I agree some changes has to be in place to make it possible.
Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by uzolexis(f): 11:48am On Apr 08, 2016
Springz:

Didn't you see where I wrote not Western countries but African countries. Kenya and Zambia for example are African countries I have and still living in and rent is paid monthly.
Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by Bollinger(m): 12:06pm On Apr 08, 2016
blackrules1:
These politicians smoke weed every minute.

Are salaries paid as at when due?

Which is why landlords collect months in advance.
Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by GreatZaza(m): 12:16pm On Apr 08, 2016
well spoken trash of the week
Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by divineappo(m): 12:19pm On Apr 08, 2016
Nigeria is a funny country. As d fct minister av rightly said, d problem is dat, dat statement wil die as a statement, he wil neva make any effort or action to ensure dat monthly payment of house rent becomes a law. Dis guys are jokers. Am sure he said it to gain attention. I bet u, afta 3yrs of dis administration, ask him wat he has done to ensure it becomes a law, then u wil hear super story.

1 Like

Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by Nobody: 12:46pm On Apr 08, 2016
He made sense on the surface but our salary structure/in flow wouldn't survive such implementation.
For now they should abolish that 2yrs upfront payment, agency fee and all those useless fees that rip off tenants.

2 Likes

Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by IYANGBALI: 12:54pm On Apr 08, 2016
See the man neck like dat of hungry man as baba no gree dem steal like Jonathan
Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by somegirl1: 12:57pm On Apr 08, 2016
It's easy for a non- property owner to support something so ridiculous.
Landlords invest in property for financial gain not charity. Some depend solely on rent for sustenance.
Already there are laws which make it difficult to evict tenants quickly and legal proceedings take several months . The defaulting tenant would get to live for free in the mean time and would then look for yet another person to cheat of their means of livelihood when they are finally evicted.
A swindler could live for a full year in 3 different properties paying rent for 3 months only.

This law would only drive up costs. Landlords would charge multiple times the rent if their hands are forced.

These old men need to be more innovative and progressive in their thinking.

1 Like

Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by hisoko: 1:56pm On Apr 08, 2016
how can we pay rent monthly when the federal government cant even pay our salaries montly .....

Landlord : Wake up, It's the first of the month, where's the rent for this month as well as the last 3 months

Tenant : Chei oOoo Oga no vex, I de wait alert, they never pay my salary this month self

Landlord : nah the same thing de happen to me, dem no pay since last year, na carry over, but I need you to drop some deposite to put fuel for my moto,

Tenant : Oga, I too no get fuel for my moto, i de filling station now de quene since the day before yesterday

Landlord : Yes i know, I de for your back sef, shey you get money for fuel, you for either choose to fuel your car so you gots place to sleep, or you go shift your car from here, gimme your money
Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by sirchris961(m): 2:26pm On Apr 08, 2016
That one big lie senate can never pass such law because na them get all d big big housing and estates include plaza mall so them no fit do wentin no go favour. Them
Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by Springz(f): 3:01pm On Apr 08, 2016
uzolexis:

Didn't you see where I wrote not Western countries but African countries. Kenya and Zambia for example are African countries I have and still living in and rent is paid monthly.
Again don't those countries pay their workers promptly? This is Nigeria and it's common knowledge that civil servants here don't always get paid monthly, many are owed for months. I get the idea is since one gets paid monthly, rent should be monthly. But they don't. When the government starts taking the citizens seriously like the countries you listed and other developed countries, then a law like that can work.
Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by Springz(f): 3:03pm On Apr 08, 2016
hisoko:
how can we pay rent monthly when the federal government cant even pay our salaries montly .....

Landlord : Wake up, It's the first of the month, where's the rent for this month as well as the last 3 months

Tenant : Chei oOoo Oga no vex, I de wait alert, they never pay my salary this month self

Landlord : nah the same thing de happen to me, dem no pay since last year, na carry over, but I need you to drop some deposite to put fuel for my moto,

Tenant : Oga, I too no get fuel for my moto, i de filling station now de quene since the day before yesterday

Landlord : Yes i know, I de for your back sef, shey you get money for fuel, you for either choose to fuel your car so you gots place to sleep, or you go shift your car from here, gimme your money

Exactly the point I'm trying to make, when you're not being paid monthly, how the hell are you supposed to be paying house rent monthly.
Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by Springz(f): 3:06pm On Apr 08, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
He made sense on the surface but our salary structure/in flow wouldn't survive such implementation.
For now they should abolish that 2yrs upfront payment, agency fee and all those useless fees that rip off tenants.
Good point.
Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by freshinko: 6:28pm On Apr 08, 2016
Landlords/ladies, the ball is on your Court.
Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by uzolexis(f): 9:15pm On Apr 08, 2016
Springz:

Again don't those countries pay their workers promptly? This is Nigeria and it's common knowledge that civil servants here don't always get paid monthly, many are owed for months. I get the idea is since one gets paid monthly, rent should be monthly. But they don't. When the government starts taking the citizens seriously like the countries you listed and other developed countries, then a law like that can work.
I get your point and I agree that these countries(especially he ones in Africa are doing better than Nigeria) but don't you think it will be easier to gather the rent bit by bit(monthly) than in bulk (annually)
Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by Springz(f): 9:52pm On Apr 08, 2016
uzolexis:

I get your point and I agree that these countries(especially he ones in Africa are doing better than Nigeria) but don't you think it will be easier to gather the rent bit by bit(monthly) than in bulk (annually)
Of course, monthly payment is better than the annual rent. It is supposed to be easier too if not for the salary style in the country.

1 Like

Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by xreal: 10:22pm On Apr 08, 2016
gigabyte13:
Yes l support this, as it is done in kenya and uganda.

even in South Africa, but their economy supports that plan. Ours doesn't.
Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by Nobody: 1:18am On Apr 09, 2016
All this mumu ministers. I work in the U.S and my salary comes at the right day without no delay or shift so then you can pay rent monthly. But in naija some companies will owe for 5 months and tell their landlord stories? The landlord will simply throw you out. Not to talk of people that will only pay a month's rent and wont pay after. How will the system track those people. Or people that will move in one month and not pay at all and run away to another town.

1 Like

Re: "House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister by Archero(m): 12:55pm On Apr 09, 2016
hmm. as if salaries are paid monthly dis days?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Protesters At The Senate Over Ali Ndume's Suspension (Photos) / Cameroon Gendarmes Kill 97 Nigerians In Bakassi - The Nation / Hausa Man Praising Apga Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.