Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH (29537 Views)

Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC / UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands / 3 Ex-Militants Graduate With First Class Degrees In UK Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by fsb(m): 2:26pm On Apr 08, 2016
It is no longer surprising to see journalists publish junk in Nigerian media.

This is a clear example of twisting statistics. Of the over 300,000 Nigerians graduating from tertiary institutions in the country, what proportion of them are produced by the private institutions?

If 7% of 20,000 graduates from private schools bagged a first class and 1% of 280,000 graduates from public schools bagged a first class, who produced more first class candidates?

The author should have focused his attention on addressing real issues such as the quality of tertiary education in Nigeria using real indices. How employable is the Nigerian graduate? What impact do research publications from faculty and graduate students have? Why has the standard of education depreciated over the last 3 decades?

3 Likes

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Mayflowa(m): 2:26pm On Apr 08, 2016
Joavid:
how about I know a true confirmed story of FUTA deliberately frustrating their final year students (by all means possible) who have the potential to graduate with a first class all because FUTA believes there is a limited number of first class students they should graduate every year .... imagine that!

a private university can't do that.

Public institutions are joke. Besides poor teaching skills, lecturers set unreasonable questions and grade students badly! I am sure private institutions will do better in grading.

In UK universities, more than 30 percent of graduating students goes out with first class
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Nobody: 2:27pm On Apr 08, 2016
Dotunblaze:
I believe private uni should have churn out more first class students given that they have the needed facilities to achieve that feat.

Is it the public universities that have poor academic faculties that enhance your chances of having good grades??
God Bless You.Don't Mind That Goat @OP
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OneManLegion(m): 2:27pm On Apr 08, 2016
Draxler:

Which yeye standard? The ones where your labs are Ill equipped? Or with the lack of basic facilities in the school? Where lecturers hardly come to class or frustrate some of their students just because they don't like them? Or the strikes and the riots like the one in Unilag presently? Is that one standard?

Lol. I don't know about other federal schools, but no private school holds a candle to Unilorin in terms of infrastructure. Scratch that, no private school stands a prayer against ANY well-known federal school.

Your comparison of the laboratory of the private universities and their federal(and expectedly superior) counterparts shows your ignorance of federal schools and the infrastructures available to them. No private uni has a better equipped lab than any self-respecting federal uni. That's an incontrovertible fact!

Check out the quality of lecturers, a lot of private unis hire their lecturers from the federal schools where the real intellectual behemoths are. Private universities get the left-overs who'd cater for the sissy over-grown babies.

Private universities are infinitesimal in land-mass when compared to their big brothers(the federal universities). A small land-mass translates to a smaller chance of superstructures cropping up.

In spite of the strikes and the occasional issue of student victimisation by lecturers(which I won't deny), it's almost unheard of for a private university, in spite of their bogus first-class graduates, to be ranked higher than a federal school by the world university ranking body.

Btw, my noble school, Unilorin doesn't go on strikes, we follow our calendar with breath-taking efficiency and expediency.

And you just lost to a student of a federal uni....pity.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OneManLegion(m): 2:29pm On Apr 08, 2016
Opeade939:
Then what about unibadan that churned out over 200 first class graduates for just two sessions?
Your argument is pointless......

UI produced 200 first-class students in two years?

Ma'am, can you prove this assertion?
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by elkonS: 2:30pm On Apr 08, 2016
Joavid:
how about I know a true confirmed story of FUTA deliberately frustrating their final year students (by all means possible) who have the potential to graduate with a first class all because FUTA believes there is a limited number of first class students they should graduate every year .... imagine that!

a private university can't do that.
are u a futarian??
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by holakunle69(m): 2:31pm On Apr 08, 2016
Before u go ahead to condemn private universities I think u shld take a look at this facts.if ure good ure good irrespective of where d first-class is coming from
1. Anyone can have a first-class anywhere provided u do the right things..no one is born with an empty brain.
2. Private universities have got more facilities than most federal uni..so why complain.
3. Most lectures in federal uni makes having good grades difficult all in d name of they didn't have dis kinda grade while dey where dia and den no one shld hv it.

What makes MIT, Cambridge, Oxford and the likes it's the level of time spent on practical things rather Dan dealing with theoretical issues like we do down here...it's the mentality and it must be changed....if ure good ure good...
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Malakh: 2:32pm On Apr 08, 2016
You are right on that,well I'm not eloquent or very articulate but I know that I'm wiser than everybody on this forum,it's not bragging,it's what I know,all knowledge doesn't equate to wisdom.
Draxler:

Eloquence and Intelligence are not the same thing. Just because someone doesn't 'sound' smart doesn't necessarily mean that the person is dumb. There are some eloquent people also who speak really well but aren't that smart.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 2:32pm On Apr 08, 2016
The writer of this is article is right and wrong.
I respect all schools, have met students and graduates from different universities.
I can say it anywhere that there are good students/graduate from private universities.
3 years ago I saw a car designed by students of mechanical engineering from covenant university. I was marveled. The car can be charged with electricity.

In 2014, I met a graduate of information technology, the guy graduated from Babcock university. This guy is very good, he taught me intro on Oracle 10g, this guy got certificate on ethical hacking. He told my colleagues and I that he can never work under someone and he said he would rather be a consultant to different firms.
If the writer says that first class produced in private university doesn't worth it, same thing can be said about the first class produced in govt schools.
The best students in my class came out with 2:1 but, the guys that came out with first class can't withstand him.

I give Ayodele Daniel 5 to 6years, if he doesn't propound a theory in his discipline then being a first class can't be equalled with being genius.

3 Likes

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Nusaf: 2:34pm On Apr 08, 2016
myrax7:
everyman has right to his or her opinion.
but I certain that not all private schools are right off,
amongs all scandals,I can confidently say this anywhere that any 1st class or degree holder From madonna University worked hard and earned that degree,not by cutting corners.
even if some private university don't follow the strict education benchmark that doesn't mean that all private university are the same.
Any Graduate of Madonna University is as good as a graduate from any tertiary institution in nigeria.
I am making mention of Madonna University cos am a graduate from this institution,I can't defend any other private institution cos I havent studied there
Then Madonna University may be good in all courses but English.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Nusaf: 2:39pm On Apr 08, 2016
Draxler:

Dude its 'worse' not 'worst'. You are hating on people that speak better english than you because they went to private schools.See how you are making grammatical errors but if someone from a private university does this you will be the first to shout.
English pls, not english.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by danose99(m): 2:40pm On Apr 08, 2016
This is really irrelevant...private or public university,a graduate should be able to impact positively to the society
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 2:42pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

Lol. I don't know about other federal schools, but no private school holds a candle to Unilorin in terms of infrastructure. Scratch that, no private school stands a prayer against ANY well-known federal school.

Your comparison of the laboratory of the private universities and their federal(and expectedly superior) counterparts shows your ignorance of federal schools and the infrastructures available to them. No private uni has a better equipped lab than any self-respecting federal uni. That's an incontrovertible fact!

Check out the quality of lecturers, a lot of private unis hire their lecturers from the federal schools where the real intellectual behemoths are. Private universities get the left-overs who'd cater for the sissy over-grown babies.

Private universities are infinitesimal in land-mass when compared to their big brothers(the federal universities).

In spite of the strikes and the occasional of student victimisation by lecturers(which I won't deny), it's almost unheard of for a private university, in spite of their bogus first-class graduates, to be ranked higher than a federal school by the world university ranking body.

Btw, my noble school, Unilorin doesn't go on strikes, we follow our calendar with breath-taking efficiency and expediency.

Lost? Lmao is this a war or something? A school like Covenant for example has touch screen tvs in every single classroom including a very large screen(not projector o) in it's ultra modern lecture theatre. How many of your electrical labs have PCB printing machines? I went to one of your public universities and discovered that they had no oscilloscope in any of their electrical labs. There is a part time lecturer in covenant university that is a nobel laurete from Harvard. The school is the only one in Africa that has had more than 2 Nobel laureates coming to give public lectures. Can any of your public schools do this? Or the fact that here we actually recycle our own waste and generate our own electricity? Every student has 10GB worth of data every month for browsing. And believe me it's fast. Cant write it all but we will keep it here. Good luck Jonathans scholarship scheme for first class students nko? Covenant university had the highest amount of scholarship awardees from the former president every time. So please do proper research
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Nobody: 2:43pm On Apr 08, 2016
leahcimzil:
ehhh first class doesnt necessarily mean genius, first class means hardwork. the op's analysis is flawed

Exactly... first class (in school) is just a reflection of hardwork.. i used to be average in sec. Sch. cos i dont read (i.e not hardworkin) until i got to yabatech where i decided to stat readin to b above average..and nw,am nt jst above average.. i am on distinction and currently writin my final exams..my frends tink am a genius bt i told dem if they knew my story,dey would knw its jst hardwork.. i study very well,do my assgnments well,do my tests well,do my practicals well,do my exams well... I pass.. thats nt genius,its hardwork... givin it ur all...
People nid to knw dis..

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 2:45pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

Private universities are infinitesimal in land-mass when compared to their big brothers(the federal universities). A small land-mass translates to a smaller chance of superstructures cropping up.

In spite of the strikes and the occasional issue of student victimisation by lecturers(which I won't deny), it's almost unheard of for a private university, in spite of their bogus first-class graduates, to be ranked higher than a federal school by the world university ranking body.

Oh and by the way your great Unilorin isn't higher than Covenant on the current webometric rankings. The same people that rank Harvard, Yale and other great universities. Who 'lost' now?
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by danose99(m): 2:48pm On Apr 08, 2016
Draxler:

Oh and by the way your great Unilorin isn't higher than Covenant on the current webometric rankings. The same people that rank Harvard, Yale and other great universities. Who 'lost' now?
calm down bro
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 2:48pm On Apr 08, 2016
Nusaf:

English pls, not english.
Whats the difference between 'English' and 'english'? Its not like I used it to start a sentence or something. Try again later
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Nobody: 2:52pm On Apr 08, 2016
Another article to encourage these farmers' children to vent their frustration over not been able to afford private universities.
It was reported this article only made backpage in a national daily, why make this forum look more mediocre pushing it to frontpage here?

Truth told, I only read half of the article and stopped once I knew where the writer was going. I attended a private university and know very well the atmosphere is conducive to bring out the best in students. If you're capable of getting a first class the lecturers communicate to one another of your academic prowess and single you out of the whole classroom. They encourage other students mostly weaker ones to have sit outs and discussions with you as a way to boost both theirs and your knowledge. I've personally seen first class potentials as undergraduates and one thing they all had in common was locking themselves indoors the whole day to read, study, cram, research, revise and perform other verbs associated with learning.

I wouldn't say the writer is a hater but for someone who knows how federal university lecturers actively discourage real first class potentials I think I'd go with my opinion of him.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by dna4ril(m): 2:53pm On Apr 08, 2016
Geniuses are bone not made!!!!!!! epic thrash for lawma. ....y? Ben Carson needs to hear u say that and have him react to your myopic conclusion about human intelligence. ....

my brother , agree some are born , infact by extension i can say most are born , but a selected few can harness the intelligence within them and achieve the feat Geniuses do ...

sad truth private universities provide the platform for those selected few.

meanwhile , first class or not , who cares if it's private or public. ..what bothers me is what I make out of it in life ....
enough of this glorified beef in our educational system.

2 Likes

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 2:55pm On Apr 08, 2016
Why are the students from govt universities proud? What are you proud of?
Tell me, is it the repetitions of past questions.
Is it the lack of facilities?
Is it about your sadist lecturers?

Many of you said Davido came out with 2:1. There are many students in govt schools that hardly attend classes they only come during exam time. They sort themselves out.
what will you say about that?

Many of the schools abroad in EU, US and some Asia countries have good facilities and they produce productive students.
Respect private schools. Before you come for my head am a product of one the govt universities.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by macdot(m): 2:55pm On Apr 08, 2016
You don't have to be a genius to get a first class. It's all about hardwork and 100% determination from day one. Moreover, the number of graduates from public universities are way more than those of private unis in Nigeria. Also, the standard of education as well as the lecturers in a public uni is not even encouraging but when you go to private unis, the students have everything they need to get good grades, all they require is just that hardwork. If such facilities and conducive environment is provided for public uni students, we will all be amazed at the increase of first class graduates from these schools.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Nobody: 2:58pm On Apr 08, 2016
Bootybuttchic:
fyou people would just stay ignorantly on nairaland and spew rubbish,i know very intelligent people with straight A's in waec,high jamb score with a 2:1 and firstclass in private unis....stop spraying rubbish,my highschool colleageues who even werent dat bright back den,who now school abroad keep habing A grades in their colleges ,some graduated with first class,and will u say they dont worth it?No!.....just because the school is abroad.,my freind was even saying the same thing that education only looks like hell in naija because of the evil lecturers you guys have,that her lecturers there are really inspiring and attentive......the thing is in most private schools the ones with standards,have good lecturers,good facilities,there is always light to read,water,good accomodation,less distractions,plus determinations,their students will pass.....for instance caleb uni ,all lecturers should have phd or in progress before u can even be employed,and the assisting lecturers/profs they employ come from either unilag or u.i........so are this people sham too.....just stop pouring your anger on people in private schools,there are 3rd class and 2.2 students there tooo,and they will be in the nysc camp too and seem dumb to you,doesnt mean everyone in private uni isnt smart......pour your anger on your lecturers and the government.....thanks!
why you come dey para?
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Nanjul2013(m): 3:02pm On Apr 08, 2016
Fortunately or unfurtunately,the National Universities Commission (NUC) regards the Private Universities as 'sacred' oxen which cannot be gored.
I believe only the NUC will correct this anomaly before first class lose its meaning and value totally.
Thank God for the public/federal universities where you must earn whatever you can get.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OneManLegion(m): 3:02pm On Apr 08, 2016
Draxler:

Lost? Lmao is this a war or something? A school like Covenant for example has touch screen tvs in every single classroom including a very large screen(not projector o) in it's ultra modern lecture theatre. How many of your electrical labs have PCB printing machines? I went to one of your public universities and discovered that they had no oscilloscope in any of their electrical labs. There is a part time lecturer in covenant university that is a nobel laurete from Harvard. The school is the only one in Africa that has had more than 2 Nobel laureates coming to give public lectures. Can any of your public schools do this? Or the fact that here we actually recycle our own waste and generate our own electricity? Every student has 10GB worth of data every month for browsing. And believe me it's fast. Cant write it all but we will keep it here. Good luck Jonathans scholarship scheme for first class students nko? Covenant university had the highest amount of scholarship awardees from the former president every time. So please do proper research

Lame. Lame. Very lame.

If Jesus were a nairalander, he'd have healed something crippled this hot afternoon.

I'm not in the science field, but I do know all our labs are well equipped. There's not a snowball's chance in hell that you come to Unilorin and meet a deficit of technology or basic infrastructure either in the science laboratories or elsewhere.

In every science block in my school, there's a large HD plasma TV that shows lots of cools stuffs as well as showcase the student entrepreneurs we've got and their wares.

Oh, Nobel Laureates come to give speeches in your school? Cool. Tell me, is there anything a Nobel laureate knows that he hasn't already published and made available to both his peers in his field and rthe society at large? Bro, that was another white elephant project embarked on by those rapacious philistines that constitute the administrative. Personnel of your school. Whatever those two Nobel laureates had to tell you guys, they'd alreadt told the world. So those conferences are as useless as the "k" in "Knife".

Your school gives you 10GB of data? How generous! Well, my own school gives me UNLIMITED data. And the download speed has been known to reach a dizzying 1.2 mb/second sometimes. The totality of my tuition fees for this current session isn't even up to 30K.

My school has a zoo in which there's a genetically-engineered cow which can only be achieved via cutting-edge technological advancement in the field of genetics. Wake me when your school comes close.

Goodluck Jonathan awards scholarships to the students from your school? That says more about his bias than about the quality of your school na.

Any other business?

Oh, by the way, we generate our own power too.

Anything else?
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Nusaf: 3:07pm On Apr 08, 2016
Draxler:

Whats the difference between 'English' and 'english'? Its not like I used it to start a sentence or something. Try again later
'English' is a proper noun just the way ur name is a proper noun too.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 3:11pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

No, dear, first class pass first class. If you doubt, leave your private uni and comman sample Unilorin.

You go believe.
Unilorin my foot. My cousin graduated as the best students in his class in 2013. He studied geology.
He once told me he had a conversation with one of his lecturers about a drilling technique called Auger bucket drilling which his used for geotechnical problem.
He responded that he doesn't know it and if he writes such thing during his exam he will fail him.
What am I driving at, lecturers in govt universities are backward. The same thing happened to me doing my research project.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OneManLegion(m): 3:13pm On Apr 08, 2016
Draxler:

Mtcheew!!

Do I look like some ignorant tramp to you?

Do you think I dunno what "webometrics" means?

Isn't it some way of ranking the website component of schools as well as their impact?

Wh tf has webometrics helped?

I'm talking about best schools you're telling about website rankings.

Oga, dey go jarey, I don close.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 3:13pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

Lame. Lame. Very lame.

If Jesus were a nairalander, he'd have healed something crippled this hot afternoon.

I'm not in the science field, but I do know all our labs are well equipped. There's not a snowball's chance in hell that you come to Unilorin and meet a deficit of technology or basic infrastructure either in the science laboratories or elsewhere.

In every science block in my school, there's a large HD plasma TV that shows lots of cools stuffs as well as showcase the student entrepreneurs we've got and their wares.

Oh, Nobel Laureates come to give speeches in your school? Cool. Tell me, is there anything a Nobel laureate knows that he hasn't already published and made available to both his peers in his field and rthe society at large? Bro, that was another white elephant project embarked on by those rapacious philistines that constitute the administrative. Personnel of your school. Whatever those two Nobel laureates had to tell you guys, they'd alreadt told the world. So those conferences are as useless as the "k" in "Knife".

Your school gives you 10GB of data? How generous! Well, my own school gives me UNLIMITED data. And the download speed has been known to reach a dizzying 1.2 mb/second sometimes. The totality of my tuition fees for this current session isn't even up to 30K.

My school has a zoo in which there's a genetically-engineered cow which can only be achieved via cutting-edge technological advancement in the field of genetics. Wake me when your school comes close.

Goodluck Jonathan awards scholarships to the students from your school? That says more about his bias than about the quality of your school na.

Any other business?

Oh, by the way, we generate our own power too.

Anything else?
Oh sir it's per month. 10GB per month. And the scholarship is given after the graduates write an exam. So if the first class graduates are so bad why do they do better than your public uni first class graduates in that particular exam. Do we start with inventions sir? Your screens are they in every classroom? Do you recycle Your own waste for purposes relating to renewable energy? Lame ko. And like I said earlier we are higher than you in the webometrics rankings. So please stop looking down on private university graduates. That's the point of this discussion.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Agunechemba1(m): 3:14pm On Apr 08, 2016
kevoh:
Kikiki grin , hating unnecessarily on Private University graduates. tongue Who cares if your lecturers frustrated you from getting a First class in Government Universities?

it's paining them that they can't afford the fees.. They are only jealous.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OneManLegion(m): 3:16pm On Apr 08, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:

Unilorin my foot. My cousin graduated as the best students in his class in 2013. He studied geology.
He once told me he had a conversation with one of his lecturers about a drilling technique called Auger bucket drilling which his used for geotechnical problem.
The responded that he doesn't know it and if he writes such thing during his exam he will fail him.
What am I driving at, lecturers in govt universities are backward. The same thing happened to me doing my research project.

Hearsays. All hearsays.

Don't make statements you won't be able to defend.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Opeade939(f): 3:16pm On Apr 08, 2016
Why not?
Search for: university of ibadan churns out 222 first class graduates,even on nl.
OneManLegion:

UI produced 200 first-class students in two years?

Ma'am, can you prove this assertion?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Adeyeye Olorunfemi, Rusticated Student Of UNILAG Blasts School Management (Video / Four FUTA Students Die In Accident In Ondo / Absolutely Free Scholarships For Nigerians To Study Overseas (latest Discovery)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.